Start by marking “The Best of James Herriot: The Favorite Stories of One of the Most Beloved Writers of Our Time” as Want to Read:

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  663 ratings  ·  51 reviews

The Best of James Herriot is one of the most extraordinary volumes ever devoted to the work and world of a contemporary writer. Within its covers are unforgettable episodes from the remarkable series of memoirs that began with All Creatures Great and Small-"the ones my family and I have laughed at over the years and the ones my readers have said they most enjoyed," as Herr
Hardcover, The Complete Edition Updated and Expanded, 544 pages
Published September 28th 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of James Herriot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of James Herriot

Theresa
I'm re-reading books that I own. This is a favorite with many short stories. Anyone that isn't reading James Herriot to their children should be.
Apr 18, 2014 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This may be the best book I've read this year. For an Anglophile such as myself, this book is an immersion into the world of the Yorkshire Dales, circa 1940s. Herriot does not sugar coat veterinary work - animals are badly injured, die, give birth and survive and James Herriot chronicles all of it. He does not dumb down the medical terminology either. His writing is warm and funny, but also gives life to the people and animals that appear in his books.

This is a collection of stories from his ot
Shauntelle
This is for you Lisa D.! It is my understanding that several people have declined the offer from our dear friend, and book supplier Lisa D., to read this amazing book! I understand the mere size of it makes it appear to be a daunting task but you couldn't be more wrong! I loved this book! His ability to tell stories is truly a gift. I found myself laughing out loud and yes, occasionally, shedding a tear as he wove me into his many and varied experiences as a Country Vet. He was quirky and charmi ...more
Catherine
I really wanted to give this book 4 stars, as it was a wonderful collection of James Herriot's stories, made even better by all the fabulous photos and snippets of information concerning the areas and times the author is talking about. I ended up with about 4 pages of recipes, and I've even made two of them already. Fascinating. Unfortunately, I find it really difficult to read - or watch for that matter - about situations where people are humiliated, and there are a number of them in this book, ...more
Melissa
Sep 23, 2007 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I LOVED this book - I wasn't able to suppress my laughter at times... and 'that's' saying something! I've also read other collections of his, but would recommend this one since the stories (though a partial collection) are in chronological order so you keep track of persons etc. I adore his retelling of courtship blunders- READ IT!!

These are vet stories - so get ready for all sorts of fun!
Holly
Although I have read all of James Herriot's books and most of these stories were familiar to me, this book was still a joy to read. The illustrations were a wonderful addition to the old tales. The informational side notes and illustrations were helpful, as many of the old farm tools, implements and veterinary devices he mentions are not familiar to most of us readers.

The photography included provides the necessary visual to go along with Herriot's descriptions of the natural beauty of Yorkshir
Kristin
Absolutely loved it! Totally delightful and highly recommended. It was our book club book. I was wary of "a lame animal story collection" and was joyously surprised to find it to be not lame at all!
Kate
"The warm and magical stories of country veterinarian James Herriot have captured the imagination of readers all over the world. Ever since the publication of All Creatures Great and Small almost thirty years ago, Herriot's tales of life lived on the dales of Yorkshire, England, have become dear to generations of readers, young and old. As a writer he had gifts aplenty: beguiling wit, infinite understanding, a master's touch in the art of storytelling. Through his volumes of memories, through hi ...more
Camille
I'm sorry this took me so long to read Lisa. I started this book well over two months ago on a trip down to St. George. When the trip was over, I was almost half way finished with it; then school started and work picked up and I didn't have time to breath, let alone read anything. With school in session I figured out that if I took the book on tests days, I could read after I was through with my test, and while I waited for my friend to finish hers. Today was a test day, and that is why this boo ...more
Andrew
I have such a fond spot in my heart for James Herriot, I'll admit it. His love for his life is inspiring. He loves taking care of these animals, he loves the place he lives and he loves his family, especially his beloved wife Helen, and it shines through in these semi-autobiographical memoirs of his life as a country vet in England Yorkshire area, specifically, the Dales.

The author of All Creatures Great and Small, and several other books chronicling his adventures with Seigfried and Tristan, pu
Ginny
Loved it, loved it, loved it! This book slides nicely and effortlessly into my personal faves category. It really is… “The Best of James Herriot!” (Funny how the title of a book can be so descriptive:) Herriot’s bachelor days are the most entertaining to me, probably because there is more of Tristan and Siegfried. I was glad to see that Tristan seems to become a respectable citizen later in life, but he was a lot funnier when he was a good-for-nothin’, lazy, loafing, destroy-everything-he-touche ...more
Janet
I’ve always loved James Herriot’s stories but this collection takes the cake. The gorgeous color photographs at the beginning of each section really serve to help the reader understand exactly how remote and wild the Dales were during Herriot’s career. Heck, they probably haven’t changed all that much since. Also enjoyable are the sketches and sidebars that show little details of farm life.
Kristi
Is this book about people's pets or pets' people or both? I love the writings of James Herriot for so many reasons! I can pick up one of his books and read from cover to cover or just a story at a time, and in either situation I come away satisfied. I laugh, I learn about animals and medicine, I reflect on human nature and families, I am transported to another era. It's always an enjoyable experience:)
This edition in particular is fun because it contains sections of interest to Herriot's readers
Richard
This is a large edition of selected stories that were included in his original books printed the 60s and 70s. Also include in the book are numerous pages of delightful colored pictures of Yorkshire and the areas where Herriot practiced his medicine. While I read most his books originally, most of these stories were ‘like new’ to me. This was a Reader’s Digest edition printed in 1982. Herriot is a wonderful story teller. I would recommend this edition if you can find it. The beautiful color photo ...more
Bee
I'm a big James Herriot fan. My dad had this great, oversized, hardcover edition of the 'best of' when I was a kid, and it was a favorite I'd curl up with on sick days. I think his stories are best read aloud, if you can make it through some of them without laughing too much and sounding incoherent, or best listened to on audio tape. James Herriot is also my go to guy for listening materials if I ever go on road trips with my parents.
Don Stanton
I laughed until I cried at his stories. Not only a gifted Veterinarian, but just as good with a pen. Even today 15 years after reading the book, (everyone in ht e family read it) all we have to do is say a word or two and everyone begins to laugh. It's a treasure for sure. I heartily recommend this book to anyone that can use a good dose of real life humor after reading a series of intense dramas or history books.
LeeAnn
It has been years since I've read James Herriot's books, but this one brought it all back to me. I giggled through much of it, and that was a delight. I loved looking through through the pictures, transporting me back to those days in the dales. I've never been there, and I'm sure it has changed radically anyway, so it was a treat. Well written, and the stories weave beautifully into each other. How does he do it?!
Ponnuswamy
Apr 23, 2008 Ponnuswamy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I have of course read all the James Herriots before, but I LOVE this edition! This not only has all the beloved stories, but also includes beautiful photos of the Yorkshire Dales and surrounding areas that Herriot writes so much about along with write-ups about the history of the places.
It's my refuge now after each crappy day of work! Sorry -- just venting. But Herriot just lightens my mood!
Nancy
A very charming collection of stories, as I understand, based on the life of James Herriot as a vet in rural Yorkshire in the 1940's, but not necessarily entirely true! Wonderful descriptions of country life with colorful, lovable characters! A very hopeful outlook is pervasive throughout the book, which is an unusual thing in literature nowadays.
Kati
Fantastic light read. Stories are great of a small English town filled with humor. The version I read was also filled with drawings in the margins with small snippets of text describing animals, tools and foods. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and would recommend it to anyone. I will be finding more books by this author to read-I am hooked!
Lisa
One of my all-time favorites! About a country veterinarian who lived in Yorkshire, England. You don't have to be an animal lover to enjoy this book--I'm not! I love the way he tells a story; so witty and warm and laugh-out-loud funny! I've read and re-read the stories in this book.
Quinn
when i was little, my grandparents gave me this book for Christmas. The pictures of Herriot's countryside made/make me want to visit the dales. The stories are hilarious, sweet, and sad--characteristics often applicable to literature about animals.
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2008 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschoolers, animal lovers
This is a delightful read. I have been reading it aloud to my children and we have all enjoyed it immensely! We've laughed and cried as we have shared the antics of this british country vet. I especially enjoy his use of language.
Sara
James Harriot is the best 'animal author' - he brings tears to your eyes through his tales and also paints a lovely picture of the English countryside. I find myself missing England every time I read a work of his.
Melody
Loved it, apart from the offensive words sprinkled throughout. His pictures of the English countryside are dreamy, the animal stories interesting, and I can't wait to try the authentic recipes in the side columns!
Sabrina Zearott
I can read James Herriot endlessly. This book is a wonderful collection with illustrations and a section of photos of the Yorkshire Dales. All in all one of my favorite books of all time alhamdulillah. :)
Brandy Ratta
I loved this book.... i would recommend that anyone who enjoys animals and humor to read this book.It provided me with lots of laughs. Just a story of a down to earth, back-country vet!!
Marty
I love the entire series of books, and watched the TV programs on Public TV. As a rule I enjoy all animal stories. Lot of humor in these books - and heartbreak at times. Marty
Kristen
One of my most favorite books from when I was younger...seeing this here reminded me how much I enjoyed his stories so I'm going to find my copy and read it again!
Lesley
I loved it , Warm down to earth family values you feel like you have gone back into the 1930s 40s 50s and you have gone to see some very dear friends.n time
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
  • Fowl Weather
  • The Wombles
  • Trauma Farm
  • Plane Insanity
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer Summary & Study Guide
  • The Corfu Trilogy
  • Lord and Lady Bunny--Almost Royalty! (The Bunny's #2)
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • The Most of P.G. Wodehouse
  • We Are Still Married: Stories & Letters
  • The Horse-Tamer (The Black Stallion, #14)
  • Fatherhood
  • #Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace
  • Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
  • Twenty Days with Julian and Little Bunny by Papa
  • All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...
All Creatures Great and Small All Things Bright and Beautiful All Things Wise and Wonderful The Lord God Made Them All All Creatures Great and Small & All Things Bright and Beautiful