Start by marking “Me, My Elf & I” as Want to Read:
Me, My Elf & I

Me, My Elf & I (Zephyr #1)

It's not often you see an elf in the middle of Brooklyn, let alone a tall, blond, gorgeous elf in the middle of one of the most prestigious performing arts high schools in the country. And yet, that's just where Zephyr Addler finds herself: smack dab in the middle of a bustling New York City school, worlds away from the secluded woodland community she knows so well. But ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Speak (first published March 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Me, My Elf & I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, My Elf & I

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBlood Promise by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 2)
46th out of 187 books — 263 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
287th out of 914 books — 1,952 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Jul 14, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
This book is the typical story of the new pretty girl at school. She becomes friends with the first people that talk to her. She locks on to the popular boy/boyfriend of reigning queen of the school as the one she loves even though she doesn't know him at all. She butts heads with and bests the jealous queen. All this happens while she maintains her wonderful, sweet self (only deviating slightly to best the mean girl but she feels really bad about it).

All this can still make a good story if it's
Monika  ‎(っˆ•ˆ)っ Lee
Did you ever feel nervous when transferring to a new school where you don't know anyone? Do you ever wonder about how the teachers and students are like? Do you ever find yourself wondering if you'll fit in or not? In the book Me, my elf and I by Heather Swain, Zephyr Addler is sheltering a HUGE secret. She's tall, blonde, beautiful and... an elf. She transferred to a famous New York City performing arts school from a secluded woodland community that shelters elves from the human society called ...more
Kate McMurry
Mean Girls Meets Elf, a fish-out-of-water, comic YA fantasy

Fifteen-year-old Zephyr Addler has just moved to Brooklyn with her five siblings, her naturopath mother, and her folk-rock-star father from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Switching from being home schooled in a cottage in the woods to attending a sophisticated arts high school in a big city isn't Zephyr's only culture shock. She's living for the first time among humans.

Zephyr is an elf with the magical ability of casting spells and can
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I can't remember the last book I read about an elf, let alone a chick lit book! So this YA novel was cute, refreshing, and needed in the world of realistic fiction and vampires of today's lit.

Zephra ia a teenage elf who has grown up in a secluded town of elves in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Her dad is a growing folk artist, and the family moves to New York City so that he can record videos and expand his art. Zephra is excited because she is able to enroll in NYC's performing arts school, w
Bookworm007
Nov 17, 2011 Bookworm007 rated it really liked it
Claudia
Aug 03, 2011 Claudia rated it really liked it
Okay, it's a silly teen fantasy, disgustingly fluffy in parts. But here's the thing. It's the "fish out of water" theme that does it for me. The main character is a teen elf who lives in our world in a secluded elf community in the woods, but she and her family go to Brooklyn, NY to live so that she can go to some performing arts school. Fish-out-of-water tropes ensue! There's a mean girl, romance, and at one point she accidentally outs her gay friend, causing friendship angst! (And the awesome ...more
Ash R.
Mar 08, 2010 Ash R. rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl who just moved to New York. In her new school everyone thinks of her as a beautiful girl. But others are just jealous of her and what she brought to this school. This makes the school bully Bella make fun of her, and back-stab her!

I can make a text to self connection to this because when I was in elementary school the kids use to make fun of me. sometimes it would be my own "friends". So I can understand and relate to how she feels. We both felt hurt, and sad, also f
Elizabeth
Dec 09, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-fey, teen, novel
I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would, but it was a cute story. Zephyr is an elf who starts at an erdler, or human, high school. She desperately wants to fit in, but doesn't always understand the lingo that the other students use. She quickly makes friends and starts to get involved, including signing up for a tv commercial audition. But, she makes an enemy of the most popular girl at the school, Bella, and drama starts ensuing, including a new love interest. I got a little frustrated ...more
B.B.
May 04, 2011 B.B. rated it it was ok
Suzanne Schack
I loved the complete and utter ignorance of the character and how she adapts-I do mean that lovingly, I promise! I had started the book, put it down, considered returning it, and then picked it up again. Glad I did-just finished the second book and can't wait for the third! There's a lot of history, a lot of things for the group to figure out and then there's Bella. No, I'm not talking about that Bella! LOL! This Bella would give mean girls a run for their money-and what will she do next, now ...more
Lia
Nov 16, 2009 Lia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pre-teens, teens
Shelves: library, read-in-2009
Elaine Warner
Jun 28, 2010 Elaine Warner rated it really liked it
Cute, fun to read. Zephyr Addler moves to New York City with her family while her father works on his music career. Sounds like an every day occurrence, but the Addler family is from a small community in Wisconsin made up of elves. Elves are nice people who live a simple life, but when Zephyr moves to New York she finds that real people, or erdlers, are not so nice and don't always say what they mean.
Alicia
Feb 25, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it
Wisty
Apr 05, 2015 Wisty rated it liked it
Although this book sometimes dragged on and the writing was occasionally childish, it was ultimately a fun read that had me laughing out loud a few times. However, I think I'll skip the sequel. And I was NOT a fan of most of the characters ( I'm looking at you, Timber)

Actual rating is more of a 3.6.
Mina Khan
Dec 28, 2012 Mina Khan rated it really liked it
Going in I expected this to be a bit hokey...and while there were a few eye-rolling moments, overall it's a very cute story with interesting characters, thought provoking questions, and an important message of being true to oneself. Glad I read it...might even re-read it down the road.
Annie
Jul 14, 2011 Annie rated it it was amazing
-------------aaaaaaaaaaa-----------------wwwwwwww------------------eeeeeeee------------ssssssss-----------------oooooooooo-------------------mmmmmmmmmmmmmm--------------eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trina Knittle
Dec 20, 2014 Trina Knittle rated it liked it
This was a cute read. It was a decent elf book and it was a nice change from the typical books I read. It was decently paced and quick to read. It was cute, refreshing, and had me laughing. The characters were all interesting and I didn't find one that I disliked. I loved how the story was written.
Suzanne
Jun 29, 2010 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
It's rare that a YA book doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. I picked it up because I love Heather Swain, and it was a quick, cute read. I would encourage my imaginary teenage daughter to read this.
Safaa
Feb 08, 2011 Safaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is so funny and awesome. its so cute how she
is so clueless about everything in new york.
Sarah Cummens
I loved how believable the story was, not in the sense of going and looking for elfs, but Heather Swain explains her story thouroughly.
Amy
Oct 26, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. It wasn't bad or anything. It was actually kind of cute. I might pick it up again later, but i just wasn't in the mood for it. If i finish it, i'll write a full review.
Hannah
Dec 28, 2009 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
*yawn* Too much like a teenage human girl novel. If it weren't for the occaisional bout of magic, I would have tossed it.
Sara jacobs
Aug 01, 2011 Sara jacobs rated it really liked it
i relly liked this book. it was an awsome read you can relly picture what the characters are like. i would definetly recomend this book if your looking for a fun read. :)
eves
Jan 23, 2012 eves rated it really liked it
It was funny and light and refreshing and a picker-upper. Also, more distinct than all the fallen angels you see in YA these days. Thumbs up! :)
Reagan
Reagan rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2014
QueenMeMe
QueenMeMe rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Brianna Ross
Brianna Ross rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2011
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2012
Diana
Mar 06, 2010 Diana rated it liked it
ok,not wonderful
Aidan Giasson
Aidan Giasson rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2012
missing the point 2 18 Jul 14, 2011 09:27AM
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • DupliKate
  • Make Me (Demon Underground, #4)
  • The Haunting of Pico
  • Hex Education
  • The Transient (Castle, #1)
  • Wolf Mark
  • Poser
  • Chasing Boys
  • Why I Let My Hair Grow Out (Morgan Rawlinson, #1)
  • Three Good Deeds
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
200124
Heather Swain lives in a crooked house in Brooklyn, New York with her husband, two children, and a barkless dog. She is the author of novels for adults and young adults, craft books, and numerous short stories, personal essays, and non-fiction articles.
More about Heather Swain...

Zephyr (2 books)