Me, My Elf & I

Me, My Elf & I (Zephyr #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  29 reviews
It's not often you see an elf in the middle of Brooklyn, let alone a tall, blond, gorgeous elf in the middle of one of the most prestigious performing arts high schools in the country. And yet, that's just where Zephyr Addler finds herself: smack dab in the middle of a bustling New York City school, worlds away from the secluded woodland community she knows so well. But Ze...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Speak (first published March 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Me, My Elf & I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, My Elf & I

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenShiver by Maggie StiefvaterIf I Stay by Gayle FormanBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 2)
47th out of 198 books — 267 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
245th out of 769 books — 1,638 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
This book is the typical story of the new pretty girl at school. She becomes friends with the first people that talk to her. She locks on to the popular boy/boyfriend of reigning queen of the school as the one she loves even though she doesn't know him at all. She butts heads with and bests the jealous queen. All this happens while she maintains her wonderful, sweet self (only deviating slightly to best the mean girl but she feels really bad about it).

All this can still make a good story if it's...more
I can't remember the last book I read about an elf, let alone a chick lit book! So this YA novel was cute, refreshing, and needed in the world of realistic fiction and vampires of today's lit.

Zephra ia a teenage elf who has grown up in a secluded town of elves in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Her dad is a growing folk artist, and the family moves to New York City so that he can record videos and expand his art. Zephra is excited because she is able to enroll in NYC's performing arts school, w...more
Kate McMurry
Mean Girls Meets Elf, a fish-out-of-water, comic YA fantasy

Fifteen-year-old Zephyr Addler has just moved to Brooklyn with her five siblings, her naturopath mother, and her folk-rock-star father from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Switching from being home schooled in a cottage in the woods to attending a sophisticated arts high school in a big city isn't Zephyr's only culture shock. She's living for the first time among humans.

Zephyr is an elf with the magical ability of casting spells and can...more
Monika  ‎(っˆ•ˆ)っ Lee
Did you ever feel nervous when transferring to a new school where you don't know anyone? Do you ever wonder about how the teachers and students are like? Do you ever find yourself wondering if you'll fit in or not? In the book Me, my elf and I by Heather Swain, Zephyr Addler is sheltering a HUGE secret. She's tall, blonde, beautiful and... an elf. She transferred to a famous New York City performing arts school from a secluded woodland community that shelters elves from the human society called...more
Liz
Take two cups of Mean Girls, stir in a few teaspoons of Disney-esc fluff and a pinch of low fat and watered down Gossip Girl. Sprinkle a bit of Fame without the sexy stuff, along with some My So-Called Life, and you have Me, My Elf, and I.

Now that's not a dis. I adore Mean girls, and who hasn't indulged in a little Gossip Girl (if only for a laugh)? However, there is really nothing new to see here. the idea, while promising, never makes it past the teen-fluff level or interest, and steals cliche...more
Bookworm007
Claudia
Okay, it's a silly teen fantasy, disgustingly fluffy in parts. But here's the thing. It's the "fish out of water" theme that does it for me. The main character is a teen elf who lives in our world in a secluded elf community in the woods, but she and her family go to Brooklyn, NY to live so that she can go to some performing arts school. Fish-out-of-water tropes ensue! There's a mean girl, romance, and at one point she accidentally outs her gay friend, causing friendship angst! (And the awesome...more
Ash R.
This book is about a girl who just moved to New York. In her new school everyone thinks of her as a beautiful girl. But others are just jealous of her and what she brought to this school. This makes the school bully Bella make fun of her, and back-stab her!

I can make a text to self connection to this because when I was in elementary school the kids use to make fun of me. sometimes it would be my own "friends". So I can understand and relate to how she feels. We both felt hurt, and sad, also f...more
Elizabeth
I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would, but it was a cute story. Zephyr is an elf who starts at an erdler, or human, high school. She desperately wants to fit in, but doesn't always understand the lingo that the other students use. She quickly makes friends and starts to get involved, including signing up for a tv commercial audition. But, she makes an enemy of the most popular girl at the school, Bella, and drama starts ensuing, including a new love interest. I got a little frustrated...more
Bethany
Lia
Nov 16, 2009 Lia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pre-teens, teens
Shelves: library, read-in-2009
Suzanne Schack
I loved the complete and utter ignorance of the character and how she adapts-I do mean that lovingly, I promise! I had started the book, put it down, considered returning it, and then picked it up again. Glad I did-just finished the second book and can't wait for the third! There's a lot of history, a lot of things for the group to figure out and then there's Bella. No, I'm not talking about that Bella! LOL! This Bella would give mean girls a run for their money-and what will she do next, now th...more
Alicia
Elaine Warner
Cute, fun to read. Zephyr Addler moves to New York City with her family while her father works on his music career. Sounds like an every day occurrence, but the Addler family is from a small community in Wisconsin made up of elves. Elves are nice people who live a simple life, but when Zephyr moves to New York she finds that real people, or erdlers, are not so nice and don't always say what they mean.
Mina Khan
Going in I expected this to be a bit hokey...and while there were a few eye-rolling moments, overall it's a very cute story with interesting characters, thought provoking questions, and an important message of being true to oneself. Glad I read it...might even re-read it down the road.
Annie
-------------aaaaaaaaaaa-----------------wwwwwwww------------------eeeeeeee------------ssssssss-----------------oooooooooo-------------------mmmmmmmmmmmmmm--------------eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suzanne
It's rare that a YA book doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. I picked it up because I love Heather Swain, and it was a quick, cute read. I would encourage my imaginary teenage daughter to read this.
Amy
I didn't finish this book. It wasn't bad or anything. It was actually kind of cute. I might pick it up again later, but i just wasn't in the mood for it. If i finish it, i'll write a full review.
Sara jacobs
i relly liked this book. it was an awsome read you can relly picture what the characters are like. i would definetly recomend this book if your looking for a fun read. :)
Eves
It was funny and light and refreshing and a picker-upper. Also, more distinct than all the fallen angels you see in YA these days. Thumbs up! :)
Sarah Cummens
I loved how believable the story was, not in the sense of going and looking for elfs, but Heather Swain explains her story thouroughly.
Hannah
*yawn* Too much like a teenage human girl novel. If it weren't for the occaisional bout of magic, I would have tossed it.
Safaa
this book is so funny and awesome. its so cute how she
is so clueless about everything in new york.
Sabrina
Real good!! Really enjoyed it, it was cute, smart, great ending =D
Nicole
it was not the best for kids but has alot of cusing
Jacqueline Moore
Awesome i loved the drama and it was very cute
Julie
Nice escape, but probably not one I'd reread.
Reyna
So far - so good!
Diana
ok,not wonderful
Kayla Boesche
Kayla Boesche marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
missing the point 2 18 Jul 14, 2011 09:27AM
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • Make Me (Demon Underground, #4)
  • The Haunting of Pico
  • Wolf Mark
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • Hex Education
  • All You Need Is a Love Spell (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #7)
  • DupliKate
  • Stirring Up Trouble
  • Destruction from Twins (Lor Mandela, #1)
  • Chasing Boys
  • The Summer of Shambles (Ondine, #1)
  • Three Good Deeds
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • Spying Eyes (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #14)
  • Are U 4 Real?
  • Fairest of Them All
200124
Heather Swain lives in a crooked house in Brooklyn, New York with her husband, two children, and a barkless dog. She is the author of novels for adults and young adults, craft books, and numerous short stories, personal essays, and non-fiction articles.
More about Heather Swain...
Luscious Lemon Josie Griffin is Not a Vampire Eliot's Banana Selfish Elf Wish Cold Feet