Start by marking “Barking Dogs” as Want to Read:
Barking Dogs

Barking Dogs (Mitch Helwig #1)

2.72 of 5 stars 2.72  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
*** "A real page-turner... Not to be missed." - Locus ***

Mitch Helwig is a cop who has gone over the edge. He's got a Barking Dog-an infallible, illegal lie-detector, worn under street clothes - and he's tired of being lied to. He's a criminal's worst nightmare.

**** "The near-future cop-thriller is a growing sub-genre, in which old-time heroes walk the dark and subtly al

Published December 1st 1989 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Barking Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barking Dogs

Gwen Nicodemus
Barking dog is a science fiction novel by Terence M. Green, written in 1988, portraying a time in 1998. So, even though it was futuristic at the time it was written, its future is pretty old. That said, the book was cool. I wish I had read it in 1988. He talks about baboon heart transplants, hovering cars, and stage one and stage two thinking. (I saw a hover car demo back then, and thinking back on it makes me really wish I read this back then.)

More central to the story than hovering cars and ba...more
Kate
While the sci-fi and police-procedural elements of this novel were intriguing - the tech was relatively believable and the integration of the Barking Dog was interesting, although I wonder about the societal impact of such a device - too much of the book was simply disjointed, or a screed on police ineffectiveness. The entire novel was, really, a set-piece to discuss how police departments are being hamstrung by politics, and how technology is advancing to the point where cops can't keep pace wi...more
Marie-sofie
Really low quality, poor writing and lack of world. There are some descriptions that really seem to be there for padding so people won't complain about lack of descriptions, while failing to do any kind of build up. It's not the worst I've read, I did finish reading it, but it's just low quality writing.
Nathan Avery
If you want a book about a gritty future cop and laser pistols that reads like a bad 80s movie, then you could do a lot worse than Barking Dogs. Nothing new here, but enjoyable in its own way.
Peter Vanderheyden
A fun read and easy read, with interesting ideas. Like that author is Canadian. Would have liked the book to be longer and plot more involved.
Lisa
I liked the premise but overall it seemed to be too much on the "preachy" side, not in a religious way.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Gil T.
Gil T. marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Jay Bolling
Jay Bolling marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kribu
Kribu added it
May 10, 2014
Gina Hott
Gina Hott marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Dec 16, 2013
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Porscha Ladonna
Porscha Ladonna marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
T
T added it
Dec 15, 2012
220182
Green received a BA in English in 1967 from the University of Toronto, an MA from University College, Dublin, and a BEd in 1973 from the University of Toronto. He is the author of 8 books (7 novels and a short story collection) and is a 2-time World Fantasy Award finalist and a 5-time Prix Aurora Award finalist. His work has been translated into French, Italian, Danish, Polish and Portuguese.

Gree...more
More about Terence M. Green...
Shadow of Ashland A Witness To Life Blue Limbo St. Patrick's Bed Sailing Time's Ocean