Start by marking “A Burst of Light” as Want to Read:
A Burst of Light

Audre Lorde

A Burst of Light

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Black freedom fighter's strength and signifying words. Essays. 1989 Before Columbus Foundation American Book Award.
Published January 1st 1992 by Women's Press (CA) (first published April 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Burst of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Burst of Light

H
Aug 22, 2014 H added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I want to write down everything I know about being afraid, but I'd probably never have enough time to write anything else. Afraid is a country where they issue us passports at birth and hope we never seek citizenship in any other country. The face of afraid keeps changing constantly, and I can count on that change. I need to travel light and fast, and there's a lot of baggage I'm going to have to leave behind me. Jettison cargo. (55, 2/18/1984)

I am excited by these women, by their blossoming sen
Daniel
Feb 05, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many quotable quotes in these essays.
Recently, I've been going out of my way to read books that are far from my norm. So reading a book from a lesbian feminist seemed like a good and random place to start.
Her essay on Apartheid USA is particularly haunting and quite poignant given current race relations in the USA. Not much has changed since 1988 when this was published and it hurts to realise that.
I found myself strongly nodding in approval on her views on Pan-Africanism and uni
Jen
May 06, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book completely infuriating. Audre Lorde has no problem identifying herself with the plight of "colored women everywhere" from Africa to Australia, but then calls someone a racist when he assumes that she is an aborigine while on a bus in Australia. She writes about her identification with the plight of oppressed and isolated women everywhere from the beaches of St Croix, from her private hospital in Switzerland, from conferences to which she was invited in France and Germany. Then, ...more
Ms. Iris
Sep 15, 2008 Ms. Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this by accident. I've always like Audre Lorde and enjoyed some of her writings about women. I'm not sure what I learned from this book exactly but I know it made me view life differently because it chronciles her battle with cancer and her life with her partner. She seemed almost fearless through her writing, yet very afraid (not of dying) but of not having finished her work as a feminist. It made me think a great deal about my purpose in life, who I am as a woman of color and who I will ...more
Michaela
I love Audre Lorde's autobiography and poetry, largely because of how evocative her writing is. I just didn't find this collection of essays and writings as compelling, though it does give insight into her final years and activist work for those interested in her life.
Anita
Dec 17, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed to read these essays.
Shannon Wyss
Oct 07, 2011 Shannon Wyss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of great essays. Most of the book is a powerful series of excerpts from Lorde's journal around the time she was diagnosed with terminal, metastatic breast cancer. Writing as an openly lesbian, feminist, African American woman in a relationship with a white partner, Lorde's voice is powerful and critically important.
Cherie
A- Wonderful essays by Audre Lorde. The last section is journal essays where she is dealing with her liver cancer, so that was especially difficult for me to read right now, but she has such a fresh, wonderful prose.
Alex
Dec 29, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
although i find the interview about S/M problematic - albeit particular to moment in history - the rest of the book is amazing. therapeutic for me and beautiful political writings.
Ace
Jun 02, 2014 Ace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mama Lorde is timeless. These themes are still trending and could use some updating, but overall she forces you to open yourself to new possibility.
Theresa
Jul 04, 2007 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people dancing with cancer, poetry lovers, audre lorde fans
Audre Lorde wrote damn good poetry.
Denise Caldwell
Denise Caldwell marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Jc0llier
Jc0llier marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Ritika Rastogi
Ritika Rastogi marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Sierra Thomas
Sierra Thomas marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Lauron
Lauron marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Laura Flores
Laura Flores marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Sharon Wildberger
Sharon Wildberger marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Gabrielle Whitmore
Gabrielle Whitmore marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Tia Richardson
Tia Richardson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Julia Plomer
Julia Plomer marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Dusty
Dusty marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Disidentifications: Queers of Color and the Performance of Politics
  • Primate Visions: Gender, Race, and Nature in the World of Modern Science
  • A Restricted Country
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Queering the Color Line: Race and the Invention of Homosexuality in American Culture
  • Read My Lips: Sexual Subversion and the End of Gender
  • My Lesbian Husband: Landscapes of a Marriage
  • Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Warrior Poet: A Biography of Audre Lorde
  • On Lies, Secrets, and Silence: Selected Prose, 1966-1978
  • Homophobia: A Weapon of Sexism
  • Black Queer Studies: A Critical Anthology
  • Before the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Revolution
  • Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America
  • Gristle: from Factory Farms to Food Safety (Thinking Twice About the Meat We Eat)
Lorde's poetry was published very regularly during the 1960s — in Langston Hughes' 1962 New Negro Poets, USA; in several foreign anthologies; and in black literary magazines. During this time, she was politically active in civil rights, anti-war, and feminist movements. Her first volume of poetry, The First Cities (1968), was published by the Poet's Press and edited by Diane di Prima, a former cla ...more
More about Audre Lorde...