Start by marking “It's Time to Sleep, My Love” as Want to Read:
It's Time to Sleep, My Love

It's Time to Sleep, My Love

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  1,254 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews

It's time to sleep, it's time to sleep,

the fishes croon in waters deep.

The songbirds sing in trees above,

"It's time to sleep, my love, my love."

As children prepare for bed, the world around them is also settling down for the night. Animals who live in the jungle, the forest, the sea—all whisper to their babies a soft refrain: It’s time to sleep, my love.

As comfort

Published September 30th 2008 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It's Time to Sleep, My Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Time to Sleep, My Love

Lisa Vegan
Jan 04, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bedtime reading for kids who do not have frequent nightmares
This is a lovely book to read as a bedtime story but, because toward the end it talks a lot about dreams to come, not ideal for children who fear nightmares.

The story is in rhyme and there are many gorgeous paintings, of nature, its animals going to sleep, including a couple of paintings where a human child is asleep with the animals. All the paintings are calming and soothing, except for one I wondered about when prey is being addressed by predator, but young kids are not likely to pick up on t
Shannon The Show Stopper
This is an excellent bedtime story. The meter is soothing and it's honestly just the sweetest book! My daughter loves it and I love reading it to her :)
Ronyell
Feb 04, 2011 Ronyell rated it really liked it
I have read many of Eric Metaxas’s works through Rabbit Ears Productions,
a popular children’s series during the 80s and 90s. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon one of his recent works that is written in poetic format! “It’s Time to Sleep, My Love” is a poetic children’s book by Eric Metaxas along with illustrations by Nancy Tillman and it is about how both humans and animals are telling their children to go to sleep. “It’s Time to Sleep, My Love” is a great children’s book for children wh
Kathryn
I really wanted to love this book and it came recommended by some good friends here but it ended up being just okay for me. The test is sweet and reassuring at bedtime but nothing especially original. The illustrations are creative and I liked the variety of animals incorporated, but some of them just felt a little weird and disjointed to me--like how some are of just animals and their babies, then some are of animals with little humans. Well, maybe I was just in a funky mood as I really liked O ...more
Shawna
5+ stars – Children’s Books

I love reading this to my baby. The words are lyrical and calming and the illustrations are truly beautiful. My son pats the page with the giraffe every time, so I guess it has his early approval as well.
Jeanne
Jan 05, 2010 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
When my two-year old granddaughter who lives on the opposite coast from us asked for a bedtime story during our last visit, I picked this up from her table of new holiday gifts. As I read the words, the lovely verses and beautifully creative illustrations, she snuggled in more, her eyes quieted, and she also flowed with the pages.

It was magical. It is a magical book. There are unfamiliar phrasing, pictures of wild animals, a young girl sleeping next to those animals in some of the pictures, and
Andy Karlson
Apr 02, 2013 Andy Karlson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Just awful. Syrupy, saccharine verse, accompanied by digitally manipulated photos that look like 'how to' illustrations from Dummies' Guide to Photoshop v. 2.5 (CD-ROM edition).

This is the kind of book that inspires fury at the injustice in the world. One imagines Tillman and Metaxas as long-con grifters, having money-fights in the back of a limousine as they spend 15 minutes writing and illustrating their next best-selling plate of tripe.

Metaxas, incidentally, has a parallel career as a right
Natalie
Jul 21, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it
I was surprised to discover that this is the clean edit of Adam Mansbach's Go the F k to Sleep. Thank goodness the night I read it to my son he took this version to heart and I didn't have to coerce him into drifting off.
Dolly
Jan 28, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice, soothing bedtime book with gorgeous illustrations. Great for reading aloud to children as they relax and go to sleep.
Julia Brumfield
Dec 09, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it it was ok
Shelves: book, art-photography
My sister knows I love art-type books and pulled this one out for me. The cover is just gorgeous while doesn't really convey any idea of what the story is behind the covers if you aren't going to snoop it out on the summaries that are provided.

When I had a chance to open it though I found a rhyming poem as the text - one that is repetitive but also without any true plot behind it. It was only after looking the book up on GR that I found it is suppose to be an actual lullaby so apparently it is
Christine Turner
Aug 21, 2009 Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bedtime-story
As children prepare for bed, the world around them is also settling down for the night. Through the seasons, animals who live in the jungle, the forest, and the sea all whisper to their babies, and to yours, a soft refrain: "It's time to sleep, my love." www.hcpl.net

Excellent!
Marie
Nov 21, 2008 Marie rated it it was amazing
Exquisite! The gorgeous illustrations enrich the susurrous verse, lulling the listener into peaceful sleep and gentle dreams. I wish my children were very young again so that I could make reading this to them a nightly tradition.
Felicia Moore
Jun 02, 2015 Felicia Moore rated it it was amazing
love this book read it to Baby Elizabeth so cute.
Kathryn
Jan 20, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Oh, this is a wonderful book, written so lyrically and the artwork is so soothing and beautiful. It should be a part of every childs library
Tom Wright
Nov 19, 2016 Tom Wright rated it it was amazing
Loved the rhythm, meter, and rhyme. Beautiful poetry. For little kids, but I'd recommend it to adults.
Karen
Jul 27, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
I know I've raved about the Kohl's Cares program in the past, so today I will try to contain myself. Still, a beautiful, hardbound book for $5, and the proceeds go to a cause that helps children -- what's not to love?

Even though there were four titles available the day I went to Kohl's, I settled for two and bought the plush animals that went with both titles. When I flipped through It's Time to Sleep, My Love, I fell in love with the tiger illustration: It is breathtakingly beautiful. My son wa
Angie
Jun 16, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "It's time to sleep, it's time to sleep,

the fishes croon in waters deep.

The songbirds sing in trees above,

"It's time to sleep, my love, my love."

As comforting as a soft blanket and warm as a goodnight hug, Eric Metaxas's lullaby is lovingly brought to life by bestselling artist
Autumn
Jul 14, 2015 Autumn rated it liked it
Shelves: bam-bam-1000kb4k
I received this book for my baby shower before my son was born. I remember sitting with a few family members going through the gifts the next day and us passing this book around, a bunch of teary-eyed women sniffling over the breathtaking illustrations and sentimental text. This book is rightfully a baby shower gift but meant more for the mom rather than the baby. The illustrations are truly beautiful, my favorite is the tiger and cub, It's actually saved as the background desktop on my computer ...more
Sherry Ellis
Oct 08, 2011 Sherry Ellis rated it it was amazing
It's Time to Sleep, My Love, is a gentle bedtime story perfect for lulling little ones to sleep. Simple, rhyming text creates a picture of nighttime stillness as animals grow weary and settle down to go to sleep. The illustrations are gorgeous and very imaginative. They have an almost ethereal quality. My personal favorite is one of a moose, panda, tiger, giraffe, and deer in a hot-air balloon looking down on a sleeping village. The use of color and light is just amazing.

It's Time to Sleep, My L
Nathan Eilers
May 12, 2011 Nathan Eilers rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: families
I'm being a bit generous with the five-star rating on this one; it deserves a 4.5. The words in this one are pleasant but not as moving or charming as in On the Night You Were Born, which Tillman writes and illustrates. She is only the illustrator here, but the pictures--oh, the pictures! I haven't encountered any illustrations as emotionally evocative in any other children's book (not yet anyway). The cover image is one of my favorites--the little girl sleeping soundly with her fingertips in th ...more
Candice
Mar 18, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet, comforting rhymes and gorgeous illustrations in night-time hues make this a wonderful bedtime story book. The illustrations are typical of Nancy Tillman - beautifully drawn animals and children in gorgeous scenes. I would like to frame a few to hang in Sophie's room. The text is full of love and made for snuggling next to a child or grandchild as you read, "And as you dream inside your sleep, the fishes crooning in the deep, and all the songbirds up above will sleep and dream of you, my l ...more
Sadie Tucker
This lovely verse is perfect for bedtime. As with most lullaby books, this title will not appeal to every child, but parents will fall in love with it instantly. The sweet, gentle rhyme is accompanied by gorgeous illustrations that will keep both parent and child mesmerized. The illustrations have texture and detail, encouraging the reader to linger over the pages and slow down from the busyness of the day. If all else fails, and the artwork does not draw a child in, the wide variety of animals ...more
Kristin
Sep 04, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Nancy Tillman's books are beautiful. Even the ones that don't seem as appealing immediately have this way of growing on us and we love each of hers that we have read. The pictures are so soft and peaceful and the language is poetic. I have found these to be the most soothing books to read to my 18-month-old son before bed. We may read several others before, but it's always nice to finish with one of Tillman's. When my son doesn't feel well, her books are comforting to him. They encourage you to ...more
Shannon
Dec 14, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
There isn't a story to this book - just beautiful illustrations with the refrain, "Go to sleep, my love."

Finn adores this book. He loves the pictures - we spend most of our time with this book picking out the various animals and objects in each picture and he takes great joy in being able to point things out quickly now that we've read it so frequently. It's a great book to help wind him down before bed - it's usually one of the last ones we read before sleep.
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Aug 23, 2011 Pamela (slytherpuff) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone reading to a child before bedtime
Recommended to Pamela (slytherpuff) by: Brent
Shelves: kids-books, own, favorites
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I love love love this book. It's the perfect cadence for just-before-bed story time. It's soft and sweet and perfect for winding down from a busy day.

I will often sneak this book into the evening's reading pile, even when the kids don't want it. I tell them it's a freebie because they made good choices that day, but it's really for me. :)
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for: K-5
Topic: Habitats (talk to young students about where these animals would live and what the environment are like)
Reflection:
This book is a relaxing read. To talk about the day coming to an end and all the animals drifting off to sleep. This book would be good to read right before nap time for PreK and kindergarten. The older grades could use this book to find inspiration from the illustrations and words and how to apply it to their own work.
Ellias
Apr 22, 2012 Ellias rated it it was amazing
Sarah and Yongping gave me this book at the baby shower and Sarah told Mommy it makes her cry. Mommy especially likes the pictures of all the animals and children cuddled up together, and when she reads it very softly it helps me fall asleep.

Update 2013: I ask for this book many nights. I especially love the hot air balloon, and the pages that have a giraffe. It's a good, quiet cuddling book.
Christina
Jun 23, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Another book I chose from the library. This book was a decent "goodnight, bedtime" story book. The book just had the animals say good night to their offspring all through the book. It was a quiet quick read that you could read a baby. A toddler though may need more interaction, but a baby could definitely go to sleep on this book. Calming and soothing words that would put anyone to sleep. I would rate this book a 4.
Jill
Sep 30, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is much better suited to hardcover than a board book, but since I have a toddler on my hands who loves to shred books, I wound up with this edition. The shrunken down images are a little dark for my liking (due to the smaller dimensions of the board book), but the story and illustrations are standard Nancy Tillman fare...lovely and sweet. A nice addition to our bedtime book rotation.
Rosa Cline
Jan 24, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
This is a beautifully illustrated very basic picture book for younger children. It has very simple lines and many of them are repeated "It's Time to Sleep, My Love" A perfect book to read after you have read a different book. This one if read quietly and semi slow you will get your child to yawning and will be ready for sleep. Beautifully done.
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • Sleepyhead
  • If I Could Keep You Little
  • Only One You
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad?
  • I Love You, Good Night
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • An Awesome Book of Thanks
  • Kiss Good Night
In a decidedly eclectic career, Eric Metaxas has written for VeggieTales, Chuck Colson, Rabbit Ears Productions and the New York Times, four things not ordinarily in the same sentence. He is a best-selling author whose biographies, children’s books, and works of popular apologetics have been translated into Albanian, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean, and Macedonian.
More about Eric Metaxas...