Start by marking “It's Time to Sleep, My Love” as Want to Read:
It's Time to Sleep, My Love

It's Time to Sleep, My Love

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  813 ratings  ·  91 reviews
It's time to sleep, it's time to sleep,

the fishes croon in waters deep.

The songbirds sing in trees above,

"It's time to sleep, my love, my love."

As children prepare for bed, the world around them is also settling down for the night. Animals who live in the jungle, the forest, the sea--all whisper to their babies a soft refrain: It's time to sleep, my love.

As comforting as a
Published September 30th 2008 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It's Time to Sleep, My Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Time to Sleep, My Love

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
315th out of 360 books — 390 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothI Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëKiss of Death by Rachel Caine
Titles that start with I, J, or K
376th out of 467 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jan 08, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bedtime reading for kids who do not have frequent nightmares
This is a lovely book to read as a bedtime story but, because toward the end it talks a lot about dreams to come, not ideal for children who fear nightmares.

The story is in rhyme and there are many gorgeous paintings, of nature, its animals going to sleep, including a couple of paintings where a human child is asleep with the animals. All the paintings are calming and soothing, except for one I wondered about when prey is being addressed by predator, but young kids are not likely to pick up on t
Shannon The Show Stopper
This is an excellent bedtime story. The meter is soothing and it's honestly just the sweetest book! My daughter loves it and I love reading it to her :)
Ronyell
I have read many of Eric Metaxas’s works through Rabbit Ears Productions,
a popular children’s series during the 80s and 90s. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon one of his recent works that is written in poetic format! “It’s Time to Sleep, My Love” is a poetic children’s book by Eric Metaxas along with illustrations by Nancy Tillman and it is about how both humans and animals are telling their children to go to sleep. “It’s Time to Sleep, My Love” is a great children’s book for children wh
Kathryn
I really wanted to love this book and it came recommended by some good friends here but it ended up being just okay for me. The test is sweet and reassuring at bedtime but nothing especially original. The illustrations are creative and I liked the variety of animals incorporated, but some of them just felt a little weird and disjointed to me--like how some are of just animals and their babies, then some are of animals with little humans. Well, maybe I was just in a funky mood as I really liked O ...more
Shawna
5+ stars – Children’s Books

I love reading this to my baby. The words are lyrical and calming and the illustrations are truly beautiful. My son pats the page with the giraffe every time, so I guess it has his early approval as well.
Jeanne
When my two-year old granddaughter who lives on the opposite coast from us asked for a bedtime story during our last visit, I picked this up from her table of new holiday gifts. As I read the words, the lovely verses and beautifully creative illustrations, she snuggled in more, her eyes quieted, and she also flowed with the pages.

It was magical. It is a magical book. There are unfamiliar phrasing, pictures of wild animals, a young girl sleeping next to those animals in some of the pictures, and
Andy Karlson
Just awful. Syrupy, saccharine verse, accompanied by digitally manipulated photos that look like 'how to' illustrations from Dummies' Guide to Photoshop v. 2.5 (CD-ROM edition).

This is the kind of book that inspires fury at the injustice in the world. One imagines Tillman and Metaxas as long-con grifters, having money-fights in the back of a limousine as they spend 15 minutes writing and illustrating their next best-selling plate of tripe.

Metaxas, incidentally, has a parallel career as a right
Natalie
I was surprised to discover that this is the clean edit of Adam Mansbach's Go the F k to Sleep. Thank goodness the night I read it to my son he took this version to heart and I didn't have to coerce him into drifting off.
Dolly
Jun 29, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice, soothing bedtime book with gorgeous illustrations. Great for reading aloud to children as they relax and go to sleep.
Felicia
love this book read it to Baby Elizabeth so cute.
Autumn
I received this book for my baby shower before my son was born. I remember sitting with a few family members going through the gifts the next day and us passing this book around, a bunch of teary-eyed women sniffling over the breathtaking illustrations and sentimental text. This book is rightfully a baby shower gift but meant more for the mom rather than the baby. The illustrations are truly beautiful, my favorite is the tiger and cub, It's actually saved as the background desktop on my computer ...more
Christine Turner
As children prepare for bed, the world around them is also settling down for the night. Through the seasons, animals who live in the jungle, the forest, and the sea all whisper to their babies, and to yours, a soft refrain: "It's time to sleep, my love." www.hcpl.net

Excellent!
Marie
Exquisite! The gorgeous illustrations enrich the susurrous verse, lulling the listener into peaceful sleep and gentle dreams. I wish my children were very young again so that I could make reading this to them a nightly tradition.
Angie
Synopsis: "It's time to sleep, it's time to sleep,

the fishes croon in waters deep.

The songbirds sing in trees above,

"It's time to sleep, my love, my love."

As children prepare for bed, the world around them is also settling down for the night. Animals who live in the jungle, the forest, the sea—all whisper to their babies a soft refrain: It’s time to sleep, my love.

As comforting as a soft blanket and warm as a goodnight hug, Eric Metaxas's lullaby is lovingly brought to life by bestselling artist
Karen
I know I've raved about the Kohl's Cares program in the past, so today I will try to contain myself. Still, a beautiful, hardbound book for $5, and the proceeds go to a cause that helps children -- what's not to love?

Even though there were four titles available the day I went to Kohl's, I settled for two and bought the plush animals that went with both titles. When I flipped through It's Time to Sleep, My Love, I fell in love with the tiger illustration: It is breathtakingly beautiful. My son wa
Kayla Melser
My son received this book as a gift from my parents and I have read it to him almost every single day since we got it. I love that it is in poem format and that he is starting to know every single word of the story. I also love that he asks for it by name. Great book!
Nathan Eilers
May 12, 2011 Nathan Eilers rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: families
I'm being a bit generous with the five-star rating on this one; it deserves a 4.5. The words in this one are pleasant but not as moving or charming as in On the Night You Were Born, which Tillman writes and illustrates. She is only the illustrator here, but the pictures--oh, the pictures! I haven't encountered any illustrations as emotionally evocative in any other children's book (not yet anyway). The cover image is one of my favorites--the little girl sleeping soundly with her fingertips in th ...more
Sherry Ellis
It's Time to Sleep, My Love, is a gentle bedtime story perfect for lulling little ones to sleep. Simple, rhyming text creates a picture of nighttime stillness as animals grow weary and settle down to go to sleep. The illustrations are gorgeous and very imaginative. They have an almost ethereal quality. My personal favorite is one of a moose, panda, tiger, giraffe, and deer in a hot-air balloon looking down on a sleeping village. The use of color and light is just amazing.

It's Time to Sleep, My L
Candice
Mar 18, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet, comforting rhymes and gorgeous illustrations in night-time hues make this a wonderful bedtime story book. The illustrations are typical of Nancy Tillman - beautifully drawn animals and children in gorgeous scenes. I would like to frame a few to hang in Sophie's room. The text is full of love and made for snuggling next to a child or grandchild as you read, "And as you dream inside your sleep, the fishes crooning in the deep, and all the songbirds up above will sleep and dream of you, my l ...more
Karyn
Beautiful, imaginative illustrations-- like taking your child on a trip through a dream world.
Christina
This is another book I bought for my friend's kids. What a great story for bedtime.
Paul
Really good book. Right balance of text and illustrations. The illustrations were really good.
Kristin
Nancy Tillman's books are beautiful. Even the ones that don't seem as appealing immediately have this way of growing on us and we love each of hers that we have read. The pictures are so soft and peaceful and the language is poetic. I have found these to be the most soothing books to read to my 18-month-old son before bed. We may read several others before, but it's always nice to finish with one of Tillman's. When my son doesn't feel well, her books are comforting to him. They encourage you to ...more
Erika Donahue
A wonderfully beautiful bed time story! Illustrations are lovely!
Carmen
Beautiful cadence and rhythm for lulling a baby to sleep.
Kayla Whitlock
I found this book too repetitive and annoying!
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for: K-5
Topic: Habitats (talk to young students about where these animals would live and what the environment are like)
Reflection:
This book is a relaxing read. To talk about the day coming to an end and all the animals drifting off to sleep. This book would be good to read right before nap time for PreK and kindergarten. The older grades could use this book to find inspiration from the illustrations and words and how to apply it to their own work.
Shannon
There isn't a story to this book - just beautiful illustrations with the refrain, "Go to sleep, my love."

Finn adores this book. He loves the pictures - we spend most of our time with this book picking out the various animals and objects in each picture and he takes great joy in being able to point things out quickly now that we've read it so frequently. It's a great book to help wind him down before bed - it's usually one of the last ones we read before sleep.
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Aug 23, 2011 Pamela (slytherpuff) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone reading to a child before bedtime
Recommended to Pamela (slytherpuff) by: Brent
Shelves: favorites, kids-books, own
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I love love love this book. It's the perfect cadence for just-before-bed story time. It's soft and sweet and perfect for winding down from a busy day.

I will often sneak this book into the evening's reading pile, even when the kids don't want it. I tell them it's a freebie because they made good choices that day, but it's really for me. :)
Christina
Another book I chose from the library. This book was a decent "goodnight, bedtime" story book. The book just had the animals say good night to their offspring all through the book. It was a quiet quick read that you could read a baby. A toddler though may need more interaction, but a baby could definitely go to sleep on this book. Calming and soothing words that would put anyone to sleep. I would rate this book a 4.
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • Roaring Rockets
  • Pig Kahuna
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • I Love You More
In a decidedly eclectic career, Eric Metaxas has written for VeggieTales, Chuck Colson, Rabbit Ears Productions and the New York Times, four things not ordinarily in the same sentence. He is a best-selling author whose biographies, children’s books, and works of popular apologetics have been translated into Albanian, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean, and Macedonian.
More about Eric Metaxas...
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery 7 Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness Miracles: What They Are, Why They Happen, and How They Can Change Your Life Socrates in the City: Conversations on "Life, God, and Other Small Topics"