Start by marking “Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family” as Want to Read:
Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family

Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  752 ratings  ·  71 reviews
This bestselling classic encourages and equips Christian men to lead their families successfully through hazards and ambushes like divorce, promiscuity, suicide, and drug addiction. Men will find practical insight on topics such as a father's influence, maintaining purity, and husband-and-wife teamwork. In this war, renowned men's author Steve Farrar emphasizes, Jesus Chri ...more
Published April 2nd 2003 by Multnomah Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Point Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point Man

Daylet
Who says playing the field is the only way to find what you want in a future mate. In point man it draws an ideal picture of what a woman of God should look for in a husband. Like a one women man, a man ready to live, not only die, for his family. Farrar does an exemplary job of showing a man his role in his family, the church, and in God. I strongly recommended to any man looking to be a leader in his household. One that will leave a legacy through his kids. And I recommended to women who are l ...more
Tom Talamantez
Every man should read this book whether they are married, plan to be married or socialize with women who are married or who might possibly marry someone else someday. The book does a great job of demonstrating the processes that lead us into temptation, how innocent gestures can unfold into fornication or adultery. It also confronts you on the issue of self respect and respect for women. I know that many men will scoff at this book as they have made a commitment to depravity, but for those with ...more
David Garza
Want to know how to have "the talk" with your son? This book will show you how. Want to know how to raise kids that live responsibly as adults? This book will show you how.
This book takes leadership head on and addresses the heart of the issue. Godly men leading in their homes is a rarity, but with the truth from this book, the tide can change. Every man should read this book... and if you're not a reader, read this book!
Tom
Every man should read this book whether they are married, plan to be married or socialize with women who are married or who might possibly marry someone else someday. The book does a great job of demonstrating the processes that lead us into temptation, how innocent gestures can unfold into fornication or adultery. It also confronts you on the issue of self respect and respect for women. I know that many men will scoff at this book, but for those seeking to be a better man and a leader to their ...more
Michael Morris
Enter with caution. If you must read this book -- and I don't recommend you do -- please do so with an open heart and mind. Read critically, thoughtfully, and dare I say it, prayerfully. Because while there bits of genuine wisdom and sound practical advice, this book is also filled gross oversimplifications, logical quagmires, poor analogies, and at times lazy writing (or perhaps lazy editorship). The book is clearly rendered, but the reader will need quite a bit of discernment to keep the infur ...more
Randall Hartman
First published in 1990, I recently re-read this book with several other men. While some of the examples humorously date the book in its decade, the message of the book and its importance remain just as relevant in the 21st century for men who want to fulfill their God-given leadership responsibilities in a faithful way. The dramatic cultural changes in the quarter-century since then only serve to hammer home how critical a sold-out-to-God husband and father are to the spiritual health of our fa ...more
Nick Weil
This book served as a good reminder on male leadership within the family. The part that spoke to me the most: reading the bibleeverydayas sort of a "morning briefing" with God. He emphasizes that we (as husbands) need to hear God's voice in order to properly lead. And the way to accomplish this is through reading the bible and praying.
His writing on homosexuality feels a bit un-loving and outdated. I bet that he would have written it differently if it was being published today. Not that his opin
Jon Box
Read this book years ago at Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan with an early Protestant Chapel 'small' study group--very thought provoking; I should read it again! I remember at the time Farrar had what seemed like some very extreme views on how we should live as Christians. I'd be interested to see how extreme they seem now . . .
Matthew Dodds
There are some great concepts and ideas in this book, and some of the analogies are really good.

As a person who doesn't really follow sports much (read at all), I didn't understand most of the sports related references that were used to illustrate many of the points.

Overall, a good read.
Todd
Jan 03, 2015 Todd marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Hector Rivera Diaz
Whether you're a married, engaged or single man...If you ever plan to be a family man, this is a book you MUST read.
Cedric Graham
Fantastic book by a tremendously faithful man.
Steven
Excellent essay on fatherhood and what it means to lead and shepherd a family. I just read the book for the third time and found the material as practical and wise as it was ten years ago when my children were newborn.

Best of all may be the extended metaphor comparing fathers to a platoon's Point Man, guiding the family through the jungle, watching and listening for threats on every side, and providing a quick and ready defense or an aggressive offense as needed.
Adam
Feb 15, 2011 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
Practical and applicable advice on being a father...not just a male role model. Farrar puts forth an agenda for raising children that will not only be successful and receive respect in their own right; they will also reverse the moral and cultural decline of our society. Much of his advice and discussions are based on references from the Bible, which is outstanding. This is a lot of advice we should be applying whether the Bible says so or not.
Josh McNeal
This is the most no hold bar book I've read on any topic. He is very blunt with his views and I guessed that many would be unpopular. I am very impressed with those who will write their views no matter what people may think. And I think he's right for the most part. I am recommending this book to as many fathers as I can think of. It is impossible to read this and not apply something. Great read, even better message!
Matt
I went through this book with my accountability group. There was lots of good encouragement and direction in this book spurring me on to be a better, stronger, more involved husband and father. Parts of the book were dated, and some of the author's opinions were a little odd (particularly when talking about couples who choose not to have children), but in all, it was informative and edifying.
Chuck Claunch
Great book to help men follow Christ and lead their families in the process. Very well done and despite being originally written over twenty years ago (I read the "updated edition" which was released in 2003) is still very relevant and timeless advice. Every Christian man out there with a family or even an inkling of starting one should consider this one a must read.
Chris
The further I got into this book, the more I liked it. This is an excellent guide on the Christian man’s role of leadership in the family. This book challenged me, encouraged me and really gave me some great new ideas on how I need to lead. I would definitely recommend it for any man, but especially a husband and father of younger children.
Bill
A little dated on the one hand (directed at Baby Boomers) and timeless on another (good principles for men of any generation). I enjoyed reading this, and will be carrying on the discussion with the men's study group I attend for several more weeks.
Justin
This book really challenged me and spurned me onto really living much more intentionally as I husband my wife and father my boys. It's not just a list of things that you need to accomplish to reach the end goal. It is more disciplines that we ought to not just wander into unprepared. I recommend this book to any man.
Mike Lewis
This book is certainly dated, but there are lots of gems here. A great read to get you thinking about how to lead your family.
Nathan Beck
My Brother-in-law handed me this book and said "it's good". That's all I needed to start on it right away. I've learned a lot of helpful ways to address my day, and my family. This will be a book that stays on my shelf for re-reading, or gets loaned out from time to time.
Luis Villasenor
Oct 05, 2009 Luis Villasenor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian Men
Recommended to Luis by: Friend
Awesome book on what it takes to become a Christian leader in the home. A must for every man. I really love the way Steve writes. Steve Farrar allows you to relate to him in many different levels, for example, he give many analogies how sports relates to you being a good leader.
Jayson
Although the cultural references are out of date the principles and advice in this book are timeless. They are timeless because they are rooted in scripture. Every Christian husband and father should read this book. Highly recommended.
Erik
Read this book with my small group. While the author make some good points about father's needing to be more involved in the lives of their sons, daughters and family as a whole... all credibility is lost by his views on homosexuality.
Tymm
Great book on what being a Family man is all about - how to lead your family, how to raise your kids, how to be the best you can be for your wife - suggested reading for anyone who plans on being married and/or having kids...
Evan G
This is an excellent book. It teaches how to be a man and father in our current times. It is easy to understand and enjoyable to read.some if the stats may shock you, but I feel sometimes we need to be shocked in order to change.
Jonathan Friedmann
I read this before high school for a paper on male leadership and thought it had some awesome things to say and great examples about godly men in the family, but fifteen years have erased any details from my memory.
Seth
This book changed my lilfe. I had the opportunity of having Steve Farrar at a Men's Retreat I attended and it was very dynamic. I recommend this to every man. My wife says I should read this every year; atleast.
Nathanael Gentilhomme
Great book about spiritually leading your family, as a husband and father. Scripture used throughout, very practical, helped me think about a lot of important things in preparation to raising children.
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • Raising a Modern-Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • 1913
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
  • The Way of the Wild Heart: A Map for the Masculine Journey
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • The Resolution for Men
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Toughen Up!
Steve Farrar is the founder of Men’s Leadership Ministries. He holds a Master’s degree from Western Seminary, and an earned doctorate from Dallas Theological Seminary. Steve is the author of the best-selling book, Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family, God Built, Battle Ready, and True Courage. Steve Farrar resides in Texas with his family.
More about Steve Farrar...
Finishing Strong: Going the Distance for Your Family King Me: What Every Son Wants and Needs from His Father How to Ruin Your Life By 30: Just Follow These 9 Easy Steps! How to Ruin Your Life By 40 Anchor Man: How a Father Can Anchor His Family in Christ for the Next 100 Years