A Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  107,705 ratings  ·  2,610 reviews
From the time of the ancient Greeks through the present time, this historical overview of cosmology is told by one of the most famous and fascinating scientists today.

In the ten years since its publication in 1988, Stephen Hawking's book has become a landmark volume in scientific writing, with more than nine million copies sold worldwide. That edition was on the cutting ed...more
Paperback, Updated & Expanded 10th Anniversary, 212 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief History of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief History of Time

Bill
This book puts me in mind of the story about how a Harvard number theorist, through some malfunction of the scheduling computer, got assigned to teach an introductory course in pre-calculus. Being one of those individuals to whom math came so easily that they couldn't grasp how difficult others found it, the professor had no idea what to cover in such a course.

So, he went to the chair of the department, who told him: "You'll want to start with the real number-line and then progress to inequalit...more
Huda Yahya

لتغمر مسامّك برائحة الدهشة
فالكون في داخلك أنت يا صاحبي

تاريخٌ موجز للزمن ،، يُعتبر من أهم الكتب العلمية الحديثة
يأخذك ستيفن هوكنج في رحلةٍ عبر تاريخ العلم
ويشرح لك كيف تغيّرت نظرتنا للكون ،، ولمجرتنا ،، ‏ولكرتنا الأرضية ،، ولأنفسنا كذلك عبر العصور

هذه هي
Daniel
It is not clear to me who is in the target audience for this book. At times it tries to explain basic concepts of modern physics in simple language, and at other times it assumes a familiarity with the same subject. For the first time I think I "understand" why absolute time is not consistent with relativity theory or that space-time curvature supplants the notion of gravity, and for that I thank the author. There are a few other things I believe I have a glimpse of having (finally) slogged thro...more
Matthew
Hawking is a brilliant physicist and a true expert in explaining highly complex aspects of our physical universe in terms that can be understood by most lay people.

Where Hawking fails, in my opinion, is his hubris. He proceeds in to the realm of metaphysics and religion in several portions of this book. For instance, in his chapter on the "arrow of time", he states that, essentially, the universe can only move in one direction of time. It cannot go backwards. He also states that this limits the...more
Laurel
If I had a slightly more evolved brain or were as brilliantly smart as, say, Stephen Hawking, I might give this book 4 or 5 stars. I'm pretty certain it deserves 4 or 5 stars. But my brain is only (I like to think) a bit above average. And so, yes, I admit it -- much of this (especially when delving into his own theories) was over my head. And while I found what I did understand absolutely fascinating, I can't really give it more than 3 stars because doing so would imply I really "got it."

I actu...more
Trevor
The main idea to take away from this book is that time has a clear direction. Entropy is the idea that the universe moves from highly ordered states to less ordered states. If you take the lid off a bottle of perfume, and leave it off for a few days the perfume will go from being highly ordered (all in the bottle) to highly disordered (all over the room).

Hawking uses this idea to explain why travelling back in time is impossible. It requires very little energy to knock a glass over and smash it...more
Manny
Apparently this book tops the world list of "bought but not read", which may explain why it's so universally acclaimed as a work of genius. If you know anything much about relativity or cosmology, it comes across as a potboiler, admittedly a well-written one with a great final sentence. I wasn't impressed.

But... without it, we would never have had MC Hawking. If you haven't come across him, start with the lyrics to "E = MC Hawking". Then buy A Brief History of Rhyme.
Nawel
This is a review of a non-technical reader.

A very readable and entertaining introduction to recent developments in physics and cosmology, Hawking attempts to deal with questions that bothered the cosmic physics community 20 years ago:

Is the universe finite or infinite in extent and content? Is it eternal or does it have a beginning? Was it created? If not, where did it come from? ? What governs the laws and constants of physics? Why is the universe the way it is? etc.

Glossing over the key aspect...more
Molly Des Jardin
It was while reading this that I finally had an "aha" moment about why it is that observation can change what you're trying to observe. I was always kind of skeptical of this, because I was wondering "what is it that our eyes do that could possibly affect things?" Stephen Hawking set me straight: it's the tiny speck of light that you have to shoot at what you're trying to observe that affects it. Light bulb is on!

I have an interest in physics, and I have read quite a few books for the layman abo...more
Dodoo Ahmed
بما ان اختصاص الكتاب ليس من اهتماماتي فق قرأته قراءة سريعة و لم أحاول التعمق في النظريات و المعادلات الفيزيائية و تجاوزن عت اي شيء مما لم أفهمه .. دفعني لقراءته الفصول فخرجت منه بمعلومات أجدها قيمة و اضافت لي بما اني ما كنت لأعرفها لولا قراءتي الكتاب أوجزها فيما يلي:

1- نيوتن قد وضع نظرية للجاذبية الكونية
كل جسم في الكون ينجذب الى جسم اخر بقوة تزيد شدتها كلما زادت كتلة الاجسام و كلما زادت قربا أحدها من الآخر

2- رأى نيوتن ان حسب قانونة القمر يدور حول الارض لانه اكثر قربا و الارض اكبر حجما
و الاررض و...more
Tariq Alferis

كتب ستيفن هوكنج هذا الكتاب، من اجل الاستهلاك المحلي او لطبقة العامة من الناس فقد ذكر فى كتابه ان أحد اصدقائه قال له :

أن كل معادلة ستكتبها فى كتاب , ستخسر بها نصف قرائك . ولذلك قد حاول الالتزام بعدم التعقيد العلمى , ومحاولة الوصول الى البساطة والعمق .

لايوجد اكبر واعقد من كوننا ..!

يبدآ الكاتب بمجموعة من الاسئلة ، من اين اتينا ،،؟

كيف نشآ الكون ..؟

وهل نحن وحيدون في الكون ..؟

هل توجد مخلوقات غريبة تعيش في عالمنا ..؟

مامستقبل الجنس البشري ..؟

حتي عشرينات القرن الماضي ، كان يعتقد ان الكون ساكن لايتحرك ح...more
Mustafa
I'm a teenager and always liked science. But, it has never really been easy to distinguish my favorite subject, as I really like them all, so science is on par with history and math and literature for me.

But, after reading this book and the works of Brian Greene, as well as numerous other popular books on physics, I have seen science in an entirely different light.

If people could still produce intelligent books such as this one, then our world might actually be a fairly pleasant one. I'm not sa...more
Annalisa
Disclaimer: I love math and physics and books that make me feel stupid, as in they are that intelligent. It was interesting learning about the development of science as it refers to the way we think about the universe and how scientific discoveries have been influenced and influence the way people think about God. My favorite section was the discussion of black holes and antimatter.

At times Hawking lost me. He wants to explain theory to the masses, but as he draws near to his own theory, he got...more
Nikki
Stephen Hawking's book is easy to read, but harder to comprehend. In every chapter came a point where my brain couldn't hold another permutation of a theory, and as the book progressed, I ended up taking the same approach as I do when reading a Norse saga for the first time. With sagas, I just read, even if my brain doesn't seem to retain all the information about who is related to who and what they named their horse. Inevitably, at the end, I have a reasonable basic grasp of the saga, and then...more
Charbel

The thing about reading something by Stephen Hawking is that by the time you're finished with the book, you're hooked. Few scientists manage to inspire their passion for their field in their readers as he does, in fact it was thanks to Stephen Hawking that I almost pursued a career in physics (but that's another story).

A Brief History of time is, in a way, the precursor to all Hawking's other books writte...more
Bushra
كتاب رائع لمن يرغب باكتساب حصيلة علمية مركزة عن الكون وعلوم الفضاء.. الشرح متسلسل ويحاول المؤلف أن يأتيك بالمعلومة من أساسها وبدايتها وقد بذل جهداً في ذلك كما ورد في المقدمة حيث أنه يوجهه لغير المتخصصين..
ورغم أني استفدت الكثير ورغم أن كل نظرية مستخدمة أو كل مصطلح يورده يقوم بشرحه وحتى بآخر الكتاب تم اضافة قائمة للمصطلحات لكن هناك أيضاً كثير من المواضيع كانت مبهمة بالنسبة لي وحتى بالاستعانة بالرسومات لم أفهمها مثل جزئية مخروط الضوء وسهم الزمان..
طبعاً يرى أن بداية البداية للكون يمكن معرفتها تدريجي...more
Michael Lawrence
Jul 10, 2008 Michael Lawrence rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Plato
Recommended to Michael by: Stephen Hawking
Copy from a briefer history review since very similar books.

It surprises me how disinterested we are today about things like physics, space, the universe and philosophy of our existence, our purpose, our final destination.

That was somehow lost in our information generation. So like I said, if this tiny take on life and physics gets into more hands then horray. Its a crazy world out there. Be curious.

This book takes topics like general relativity, quantum theory, string theory, the universe, it;...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 13, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Nerds
A friend of mine loves this book and has read it more than once. Reassuring, since like me, she doesn't hold a doctorate in the sciences! In fact, as someone who used to do a lot of science reading--I read many a astronomy book by Isaac Asimov and Carl Sagan once upon a time--most of the concepts here were very familiar. Well, until we reached the very weird land of quantum mechanics and string theory and imaginary numbers, where I admit I was pretty lost.

Hawking gives the history of the scienc...more
Ivy
Whoever says this book was an easy read, must really not understand a word they read. The individual words are simple but the concepts described in this book are vey thought-provoking but very complicated. Actually, everything was going pretty well until Chapter 8: The Origin and Fate of the Universe, primarily because we really don't know what the real answer is so there's a lot of speculation and conflicting theories.

One of the crazy things I enjoyed learning is how forces are actually caused...more
Khalid
This book discusses the origin of the universe, its future, and the way it could have developed to its current state, and bases all that on physics. It dives into the part of physics whose sole aim is to devise a unified theory that describes everything in the universe, or at least do that as much as possible.

The book starts out by discussing theories as they developed, beginning with theories we all are familiar with and consider trivial, and then showing how they have proven to be wrong in des...more
أسيل
لا اقول أنني فهمت كل ما ورد في الكتاب ولذلك
جاءت نجمتين ناقصة في تقييمي لسبب في القارئ وليس في الكتاب
الكتاب والشرح والمضمون جميل وسلس
يكفي أن يأخذك للتأمل بهذا الكون واسراره وعبور الزمكان
مع لمسة خيال وجمالية العلم

Andrew O
This book was like a breadth of fresh air. I have run into quite a few pompous fools that claim to be authorities on different subjects, who rant on and on about their own ideas and think they are absolute truths.

However Hawking is truly brilliant and the farthest thing from pompous. Not only that he never states his theories are divine scripture that will hold for all eternity. He is willing to look at new evidence and try new approaches and examine questions from as many different viewpoints...more
Sheri
So I read his autobiography last fall and realized that I probably should read A Brief History if only to give myself some better background for sci-fi novels.

I followed some of the arguments and felt like I learned a bit more about both the general theory of relativity and quantum mechanics and why both are necessary. I really had not realized that relativity does not allow for gravity. What? I mean, really, how is it that the most widely known piece of physics leaves out the most readily under...more
Mark Galassi
I should have loved this book because at the time I read it I was working in that area, but I found it barely OK. This is probably a problem with how to present scientific material: it is hard to make everyone happy, and popular works are often annoying to practicing scientists.

On the other hand I have *loved* A Short History of Nearly Everything and Fermat's Enigma: The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem, finding them as gripping as a thriller.

I think the main problem...more
Luann
It's good to read a book like this every once in a while! I could feel it stretching my brain. But I'm very glad that I won't be tested on its contents! I know I learned from reading this, but I can't say for sure how much.

I could tell that Stephen Hawking was explaining this in the simplest terms possible. To him, it must have felt like he was explaining this so simply that any elementary school student should be able to understand. I enjoyed his conversational tone and his brilliant down-to-ea...more
Dashka Darsy
Гравитац, квант механик, Эйнштэйний харьцангуйн онол гэх мэт физикийн түүхэн дэх хамгийн аугаа нээлтүүдийг мэргэжлийн бус уншигчид ойлгомжтойгоор маш тодорхой нарийвчлан бичиж өгчээ. Зөвхөн физикийн онол гэдгээс гадна Коперникийн үеэс эхлэн хүн төрөлхтөн орчлон ертөнийн хэрхэн төсөөлж эдгээр төсөөллүүд шинжлэх ухааны хөгжилтэй зэрэгцэн хэрхэн өөрчлөгдөж ирснийг маш энгийн байдлаар харуулж чадсан бөгөөд эцсийн үр дүндээ ертөнцийн эхлэл болон төгсгөлийн нууцыг тайлахаар зорьжээ. Түүнээс гадна зохи...more
Khalid Almoghrabi
yet you could expect to have a briefer version, Hawking made a briefer indeed. but it standstills as an excellent book to people who eager to know more about this world and what challenges do we face these days in understanding the world and the moment of the creation. I recommend the illustrated version of the book that comes with another book called a universe in a nutshell
Mohamed Ateaa
الكتاب ممتع مقسم بشكل يخليك لو مش حابب تقراه كله مرة واحدة
هتستمتع - نظريات كتير جدا تهت منها في الاخر
بس بشكل عام اعجبني استخلصت منه معلومات قليلة في هذه امرة
لكن المرة الجاية هاستخلص اكتر
بس فعلا النظريات اخاصة بالفيززياء فيه تقيلة اوي :)
بس ممتع و ارشحه للجميع

محمد عطية
فبراير 2013
Jan Popieluch
Na pewno jest w tej książce dużo ciekawych rzeczy i kilka zastanawiających obserwacji, więc poświęconego na nią czasu nie żałuję. Uczucia mam jednak mieszane. Przede wszystkim trzeba pamiętać o tym, że "Krótką historię czasu" napisał Hawking w roku 1988, a dużo się od tego czasu w fizyce zdarzyło. Jeśli więc kogoś temat interesuje, będzie musiał wiedzę uzupełnić nowszymi pozycjami.

Przede wszystkim jednak uderza niesamowita buta i przekonanie o własnej potędze. Autor nie ogranicza się do pisania...more
Rade
I am not going to sit around and pretend I understand everything I just read but for what it was, this book was quite interesting. Plenty of topics about space and plenty of explanations of what we know so far (well, up until 1988 when this book was published) about space, dark holes, time travel (if it is possible and if so, how?), as well as plenty of other topics.

There is an updated version of this book but I guess I was not one who had read it. There was a lot of examples of some of world’s...more
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter
  • Why Does E=mc²? (And Why Should We Care?)
  • Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy
  • Relativity: The Special and the General Theory
  • The Fabric of the Cosmos (Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality)
  • Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science
  • Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
  • From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time
  • The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report
  • The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design
  • About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution
  • Chaos: The Making of a New Science
  • The First Three Minutes: A Modern View Of The Origin Of The Universe
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: The Cosmos Explained
  • In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality
Stephen William Hawking was born on 8 January 1942 in Oxford, England. His parents' house was in north London, but during the second world war Oxford was considered a safer place to have babies. When he was eight, his family moved to St Albans, a town about 20 miles north of London. At eleven Stephen went to St Albans School, and then on to University College, Oxford, his father's old college. Ste...more
More about Stephen Hawking...
The Grand Design The Universe in a Nutshell A Briefer History of Time Black Holes and Baby Universes The Illustrated A Brief History of Time and the Universe in a Nutshell

“Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?” 511 likes
“The universe doesn't allow perfection.” 62 likes