Start by marking “Alix & Valerie” as Want to Read:
Alix & Valerie

Alix & Valerie

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Alix Morris has spent the past seven years of her life nurturing an unrequited love for her soon-to-be-married best friend. The pain from this silent longing has settled within her like a faithful companion and she's loathe to let it go. Two nights before the wedding, she agrees to an impromptu outing to a hip night club with a friend. There she meets wise-cracking Valerie ...more
Published July 21st 2008 by Bedazzled Ink Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Alix & Valerie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alix & Valerie

Megzz
I would maybe rate it 3.5.

This book is not nearly as good as Diaz' more recent one (The Blind Side of Love). Alix & Valerie is very inconsistent. Some scenes are very sweet and funny and I found myself smiling big, some others made me almost cringe. The writing doesn't flow as much. I don't know how many years passed between this book and The Blind Side of Love but the evolution in Diaz' writing is obvious. I'm so glad I read Alix & Valerie AFTER The Blind Side Of Love otherwise I would
Amanda
To be quite honest, I have never been able to identify with lesbian characters in books as much as I have with the ones in this book. It is a romantic story packed with funny and exciting situations as well as familiar experiences. This is the book that convinced me to stop hating reading and that I should read more books -- and that was before it was even published. I love it.
Rinu
It was like reading a fanfiction. Silly plotline, unnecessary drama, characters trying so hard to be cool or nice or wise. I rolled my eyes a lot during reading :).
I would say I didn't like it except that it was amusing in its odd way. Probably a first book which makes me thinking about writing fanfiction myself, lol.
Kristy
Aug 23, 2008 Kristy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: glbt
A step (or two) above the majority of current lesbian fiction out there. Captivating, funny, and amazingly genuine story -- I read it in a day as I couldn't put it down.
Heidi
In the first part of the book you fall in love, in the second part of the book you find yourself constantly saying "really?!", as it's kind of farfetched.
The overall book is a delight to read and I just couldn't put it down.
M-e-i-l-y
Sep 05, 2008 M-e-i-l-y rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls
Shelves: lgbtq
What a wonderful book! I liked all the characters so much and the story was so exciting. I kind of wished there was a part 2 because I loved it so much, I didn't want it to end!
Pin
A very nice new-adult contemporary romance with a twist. I very much recommend it to anyone who enjoys tender love stories.
Carole
This book was a surprise to me. It's chick-lit. This really delightfully written, insightful (if somewhat long) novel, available in both paperback and e-book format, would probably be on the 'summer romance read' shelves of major chain bookstores were it not about two characters who just happen to be lesbian. Going in, I expected erotica, but it truly is a romance between two very unlikely young women who go through the throes of forming a mature relationship.

Alix says: "Starting a relationship,
Alexhunter
In most of the books I've read, all the lesbian characters look at each other, are immensely attracted to each other, and then they drink a lot of wine and move in together. I don't know why, but the excessive wine-drinking somehow bothers me. Anyway, this was a very nice exception. I haven't been able to relate to the lesbian characters in books as much as I related to the ones in this book. Diaz had me hooked from the very first sentence, or within the first paragraph, because of the way it wa ...more
Anna McGee
I gave this a 4/5 but in this genre, I rarely give a 5. I consider Annie on My Mind a top read and anything by Rita Mae Brown to be the scum left at the bottom of the barrel. Based on that scale, Alix and Valerie was way above the bottom, but still below the top.

I thought the characters were very well-written, likable people, once I was able to look past the '90's lesbian dress-code. (Keep going! You'll be glad you did!) The sarcastic banter was brilliant and helped keep the love story from wand
Hope
Sep 03, 2014 Hope rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt
3.5 because I would re-read it. Pretty interesting and amusing book, interesting character development. Likable characters. Would recommend to fans of, well, angst I guess. Did enjoy the rapport between characters, a good quick read.
Heinerway
Very nice story with very likable characters. I read it online a few years ago and it is as good as I remember.
Morgan
A cute little book that gets an extra star from me for the feelings of nostalgia it drummed up. Would score higher but just about half way through the plot becomes rather ridiculous, overly dramatic, and incredibly far fetched. The dialog between characters alternates between actually being hilarious (in a good way! ) and that dull, frustrating teen age speak. But for a lesbian ya novel, it's cute harmless fun.
Philisha
I enjoyed this book. Alix & Valerie were amazing characters and the twist of this book left me in awe. But I enjoyed it and can't wait for more to come from this author.
Johanna
Characters are not well developed here. I don't know if this is a first book but the writer could improve a lot. The reader will do better having the characters called by their name not the color of their hair or how tall they are and repeating words tends to get tiresome.
Andrea
This is what chick-lit is like when the protagonists are lesbian. It was entertaining and a quick read. The characters are wonderfully quirky. Definitely enjoyable, if you like that kind of literature.
Louise_osd
This was a pretty good book. I really didn't expect the Valeri back story. I really liked the romance too, it seemed real. Alix was a great character whom I could definitely read more of
Alx
A very sweet & cute love story. Perfect for rainy afternoons.
Karen A.
Contemporary lesbian story. It's definitely worth reading.
Buuuuuuuuja
Excellent book.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Iriz Alarcón
Iriz Alarcón marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Whoopy
Whoopy marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Alejandra Jaqueline
Alejandra Jaqueline marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jericho
  • Who I Am
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Silver Collar (Garoul, #4)
  • Weeping Walls
  • me@you.com
  • Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer
  • First Lady
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Honor Guards (Honor, #4)
  • The Best Defense
  • Desolation Point
  • Gun Shy (Gun, #1)
  • Love by the Numbers
  • Fox Run (The Madison Wolves, #1)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
Author of Alix & Valerie, and The Blind Side of Love. Self-proclaimed intergalactic spacegoat-herder, known for writing LGBTQ-related things, and drinking lots of coffee.
More about Ingrid Díaz...
The Blind Side of Love