Start by marking “Nebula Awards Showcase 2009” as Want to Read:
Nebula Awards Showcase 2009

Nebula Awards Showcase 2009 (Nebula Awards #10)

Michael Chabon, Michael Moorcock, Karen Joy Fowler, and more: ?The pulse of modern science fiction.?(New York Times Book Review)

This annual tradition from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America collects the best of the year?s stories, as well as essays and commentary on the current state of the genre and predictions of future science fiction and fantasy films,
Published April 7th 2009 by Roc Trade (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nebula Awards Showcase 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nebula Awards Showcase 2009

Philip Hollenback
May 26, 2016 Philip Hollenback rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
You can't go wrong with the yearly Nebula showcase. My one complaint is that science fiction poetry is really not enjoyable. I wish they would just leave that stuff out.
Marc
Jun 04, 2009 Marc rated it really liked it
This anthology was presented at the 2009 Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) convention/conference held in Los Angeles, California on April 24-26, 2009. The anthology includes award winning stories, plus some nominees, that were announced/awarded at the previous year’s SFWA conference held in Austin Texas on April 25-27, 2008. As a result, the included stories are largely from the year 2007 meaning the anthology’s title and content makes perfect sense to someone attending the ...more
Pablo
May 18, 2009 Pablo rated it liked it
somehow in the flurry of leaving to go out of town at the beginning of the month this is the book that came with me. i have a tendency to take too many books on a trip. you know, to have options. and that coupled with my tendency to purchase hard bound books means i often end up with a bag full of three heavy hard books, two of which i never crack open. so, this is to say that it was somewhat of a nice change of pace to have one book, paperback, in my bag for the couple week jaunt to points on ...more
Elizabeth
There's some solid stuff in here! I continue not to be charmed by The Yiddish Policeman's Union, even in excerpt, and the nonfiction in here is frankly crap -- too short and shallow to be worth reading.

Ted Chiang's “The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate” is totally worth the price of admission, with an interesting low-tech approach to time travel and regressive storytelling. Karen Joy Fowler's "Always" is barely sci-fi; it would not be out of place in the New Yorker or Atlantic Monthly's fictio
Matriarchy
I read anthologies when I am busy and don't have the attention to give to a whole book (which might suck me in and give me cause to procrastinate). Short stories work out nicely.

But the downside is that sometimes you run into something that you wanted to last longer. Lucius Shepard's novella "Stars Seen Through Stone" was just such a story. I liked the protagonist, and I wanted to spend more time with him.

I did enjoy much of the work in this collection. The article about YA SciFi gave me a lot o
Lyn
Sep 20, 2009 Lyn rated it really liked it
Sometimes awards collections end up with selections that strain for literary crossover (as if the genre were somehow unworthy), and as a consequence lose the "sense of wonder" that SF fans seek.

With a few exceptions, this is NOT one of those collections. Several selections are achingly fabulous, like "Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter," or gleefully ingenious, like "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" (though really, you have to read the whole thing; this volume includes only an excerpt), intriguing and c
Ken
May 29, 2009 Ken rated it really liked it
You can't go wrong with this annual anthology.

Though Ted Chiang's novella is the winner in this category, personally i think Lucius Shepard's novella "Stars Seen Through Stone" is a better story. Ted Chiang is such a great short fiction (only short fiction so far) writer that i think whatever work he produces would be biased for nomination/awards.

"Always" (though a winner) doesn't do anything for me.

Looking forward to reading Michael Chabon's.
Sheila
Aug 02, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Note that this review is from a science fiction fan, but I am a discerning science fiction fan. I believe that most of the best science fiction is in short story format. With that disclaimer in mind, let me say that the 2009 Nebula Awards Showcase is an amazing collection of stories. I was so impressed, I actually bought the book. (Those who know me well, know that I use the library heavily.) Every story in this collection is unusual and interesting. Definitely five stars.
Jun 05, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
not as good as the other award showcase i'd read.

titanium mike saves the day was good.

the evolution of trickster stories among the dogs of north park after the change was sad (so good).

unique chicken goes in reverse was sci-fi how?

clubbing, though not a story, was very interesting to me.
Tosh
Jun 29, 2016 Tosh added it
Shelves: sci-fi, dnf, short-fiction
No stars - read only 3 shorts

"The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate"

"Always" and

"Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter" :paranormal with historical fiction elements

Only made it through those three and out of those the first was by far the best, and the one I really enjoyed.

I was expecting more from Jane Yolen than a poem, and a very short poem at that.

Becca
Nov 06, 2010 Becca rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, 2010
Collections of SF/Fantasy, such as the yearly Nebula Awards Showcase, are great books to discover new authors and read several different stories. I enjoyed all the stories, even the one that was really creepy about the "captive girl."
MJ
Nov 11, 2012 MJ rated it really liked it
I love collections! You can skip the unpromising stuff. Couple of good ones here, particularly "Titanium Mike Saves the Day," by David D. Levine and "Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter (Fantasy), by Geoff Ryman. Must search out the other collections!
Caty
Jul 23, 2009 Caty rated it it was ok
There's a story about talking dogs in this volume (I know, I know) that is brilliant. A disappointing contribution from Nancy Kress (whom I used to love as a child) that's basically a bunch of clumsily presented research about Jewish and Gypsy cultures.
Merrin
I'm a little unclear about certain stories and why they were included, in fact EVER considered for a prize. But I do appreciate the exposure to authors I never would have bothered with before.
Regina
Regina rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2010
Hazel
Hazel rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2009
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2010
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Clark Allen
Clark Allen rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Kawaiiferreto
Kawaiiferreto rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Sophy
Sophy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
K_a_e
K_a_e rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Deedee
Deedee rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Art
Art rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2009
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2012
M.
M. rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Sea Andrews
Sea Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • The Best of the Best, Vol 2: 20 Years of the Best Short Science Fiction Novels
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Getting to Know You
  • Cryptic: The Best Short Fiction of Jack McDevitt
  • Fast Forward
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2012
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...

Nebula Awards (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Nebula Award Stories