Start by marking “With Caution (With or Without #3)” as Want to Read:
With Caution (With or Without #3)

With Caution (With or Without #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  4,276 ratings  ·  205 reviews
A brother’s vow. A lover’s promise. Both could put them all at deadly risk.

Remington Lassiter is trying his best to stay out of trouble while he learns the ropes of being a werewolf. When his little brother turns up covered in bruises, he is driven to finally bring their abusive father to justice. To do it, he must face a past he hides behind his cocky, trouble-making atti
Published November 2007 by Samhain

To ask other readers questions about With Caution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Caution

Hot Head by Damon SuedeCrossing Borders by Z.A. MaxfieldPromises by Marie SextonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Gay Uniforms
53rd out of 231 books — 98 voters
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBitten by Kelley ArmstrongMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Best Shapeshifter/Werewolf books
456th out of 981 books — 1,401 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack
Apr 07, 2009 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jack by: All my friends here on Goodreads
I was pleasantly surprised how much I really liked Remy. In my opinion he was a very complex character. I admit, I didn't like him at all in Without Reservation. He was a jerk almost all through the book (but a handsome one of course...lol) and I hated the way he treated Keaton. Luckily, we find out why Remi acts the way he did, and soon he became a character that was not only likeable, but someone who captured my heart. The D/s relationship between he and Jake surprised me, too.
But I have to s
Brenda (b)
Mar 24, 2011 Brenda (b) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Heather Shea, Daisiemae, Eyre
This whole series is terrific. Remi sure made the most of a rotten upbringing, didn't he? Jake was so patient with him. The only one with more patience was Rhys with Sterling. Sterling was a total whirlwind and he was a scene stealer whenever he was mentioned. I liked the bits and pieces we were shown of the guys who make up Remi and Jake's new pack.

Note:J.L. Langley has 2 short stories about Rhys & Sterling posted on her website. They really whet your appetite for their full story. http://w
Nancy
With Caution is the third installment in J. L. Langley’s With or Without series. Remington Lassiter, who was introduced in Without Reservations, is adjusting to his life as a werewolf and coming to terms with his attraction to Jake.

Remi has endured severe abuse as a child at the hands of his father. Even though Remi is now living on his own, his life is still very much controlled by his father. When he discovers bruises on his younger brother, Sterling, Remi enlists Jake’s help in finding a way
Daisiemae
I loved this book. Remi definately goes through alot of change and character development. He is not the same person we met in Without Reservation, but we learn what makes him tick, and act the way he does.
He and Jake are definately made for one another. I thought that the way they worked together as a team and even started their own pack, was great.
Of course the sex is super hot too!
From what I understand Matt's story will be next, but personally I can't wait to read about Sterling (Remi's broth
DarienMoya
^^NO CAUTION NEEDED!^^

I love this series, its super sexy, nose bleed sweet and just downright sinful. I love these wolves who find their mates in the same sex, nothing says hot like two men falling in love. Where the second book in the series was pretty much fluff, this one had a darker tone and a tough as nails alpha. I wanna eat him up like some doggie chow. I am excited and waiting impatiently for the next chapter in this deeply addictive series.

THE RUNDOWN- We met Remi in Without Reservatio
Bookwatcher
Someone will die!!!!!

eeeee.... Nope, it's not that obvious...

And to be exact two, not one, characters will die!!!! And leaving the teasing aside let's get to the point! I LOVED THIS BOOK!

And to explain each main character in a more fun way let me use illustrations... I loooooooove emoticon!

Jake ---->
Poor guy... well you will see him in the second book (Keaton's bodyguard)... he is preoccupy, because Remi is his mate and seems an homophobic. Well, read it and you will see... I just warn th
Vivian Archer
Diverting read. Enjoyed all the characters, certainly the strong suit of the story. Found Remi's amazing abilities (sexual not were) somewhat unrealistic and the constant use of purring during moments of desire really was a major disconnect for a werewolf book.
Fonzie
Dec 18, 2011 Fonzie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: maybe my worst enemy
Shelves: oh-hell-no
I did try to suspend all disbelief, as I already know this writer. (And if you have read from writers like Josh Lanyon or Joely Skye you'll realize Langley's style leaves much to be desired.) Either way, I needed some light reading and I decided to give this series one more chance. I really shouldn't have.

Let's put aside the fact that omega wolves (usually only existing in wolf packs living in captivity) are the runts and rejects of the pack. They are treated badly, and they usually die early fr
Deeze
Another well written shifter story. Some of these so called new authors would do well to read and learn. These are how wolf shifters should be written. Not as an excuse to write stupid sex scenes with no plot under the guise of shifter fics.

Seconding reading as enjoyable as the first. I'd forgotten just enough to keep it interesting.

If I have any niggles it would be (view spoiler)

Also I'd really like to see a little more c
Christy Loves 2 Read
Oh J.L. Langley is on a serious roll with this series! I adored this second book and, in fact, it's my favorite of them so far. The writing was just as good. The plot, the dialogue, etc. were all fantastic. I think I fell more for this book because of the two main characters.

I'll admit I didn't like Remi a whole lot when he was first introduced in the prior book. He came across as a homophobic, arrogant little snot! He was verbally cruel to Keaton and I didn't care for him. I was willing to give
Heather
Nov 14, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Daisiemae
Shelves: e-book, erotica, m-erotica
This was a great installment in this series by J.L. Langley! I really really enjoyed it.

Remi is seriously injured at the end of the last book "Without Reservations" and he is changed into a shifter in order to survive. The man that saves him, Jake, knows right away that he is Remi's mate, but wants Remi to get used to the idea of being a wolf before he finds out he's mated to a man!

Jake is very dominant and protective, and before long, they are unable to deny their attraction to one another. R
Ami
A friend said that this book was "darker" than the previous two. I tend to agree with her. With Remi's abusive father looming over his behavior (and forces him to push his own sexuality into the closet, especially with a tragedy in his youth), this presents a more serious problem than simply just "soul-mate" among werewolves. I like how Jake takes his time to let Remi gets used to being a werewolf and not pushing the mate issue to him.

If I have a complaint, it will be that I feel the "
ayanami
It turns out my library actually has a small selection of paperback M/M titles and this was one of them and I thought, oh, isn't this author one of the ones the M/M group raves about? So I decided to read it, despite it being the 3rd of a series (actually, it wasn't that hard to get what was going on, since each book seems to focus on a different couple) and well, it was just ok. I think the problem is that if you put aside the sex scenes (of which there were a lot, and were really boring, repet ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
"With Caution" by J.L. Langley is a male/male love story with all the emotion and caring any romance lover enjoys and the added bonus of uber-hot monogamous sex.

Remi has a gut-wrenching past. The only light in his life is his younger brother Sterling and Remi has had to cut deal after deal with his abusive father to keep Sterling safe, but that's just what Remi does. So what can newly made werewolf Remi do when he discovers his mate...is a man. If his homophobic father finds out, well...there's
LOVED IT! This book was a bit darker then the previous one. It deals w/ abuse. After reading the book before this one, I was thinking that Remi was a homophobic ASS. Damn..............couldn't have been more WRONG. There were a lot of things in this book that I didn't expect and was pleasantly surprised at.

I LOVED the relationship that Remi has w/ Sterling. It was very touching and it gave the book more feeling and "realness" The relationships among the pack members is so wonderful. It's a real
Lisa J.
I had a hard time getting through this one, which is a surprise since I loved Without Reservations. Remi didn't seem like the Remi from that book. It was too drastic a flip.

I didn't like the sub/dom aspect of his relationship with Jake even though it was fairly mild. It just didn't ring true, especially how Remi slipped so easily into calling him "sir." I also felt like I jumped into the middle of Remi and Jake's story, even though I had read the previous book.

Sterling was the best part of the
Elsbeth
This was far better than “Without Reservations”. The plot was a bit far fetched but who cares!!!

I liked Remi very much. He wasn’t such a nice character in the first book but he made up for it. Especially after understanding why he was behaving so homophobic….

I loved Jake, again a real alpha-man. He was sweet and also very protective. I love that.

description

The first book ended with Remi been turned into a werewolf by Chay and Jake. Jake immediately regonizes his mate. But Remi is straight, so he thinks...
Susan
Oh, I love me some shifters. Great second installment of this series.

In this second book we have Remi, who was turned at the end of book 1, coming to terms with being a werewolf. Fortunately he has Jake to figure out how all of it works.
Jake recognized his mate the moment he set eyes on Remi. But Remi is straight.. right? Jake does not want to pressure Remi into anything, so he decides to just be friends at first. With Jake’s help Remi is learning how to control his lupine side so no one notice
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
For me this is that rare book wherein it is part of a series that is getting better not worse. I really enjoyed Remi and Jake and the evolution of this story. I liked seeing the other characters and being introduced to some new ones. This one had touching, sad, and funny moments. All in all a great story - I have to be honest and say I'm not looking forward to the next one as I'm not really interested in the character. I want more of Sterling and Rhys!
Tara
I wanted to love this book so much more than I did. The parts that were good were really good, and the stuff that was bad was really bad. For me, it was an average book.

We first meet Jake and Remi in the last book. Remi is mortally injured when Jake finds him, recognizing him immediately as his mate, Jake turns Remi into a werewolf to save his life. Now Remi has to adjust to not only the knowledge that werewolves exist, but that he is one, so Jake decides to wait to tell him he is also Jake's ma
Alex
I enjoyed this only slightly less than Without Reservation. The Dom/Sub relationship isn't really my thing, but I think it was very light and handled well here, so it wasn't a turnoff for the entire book.

My biggest issue with this book is the number of gay characters. In the second of the series (where we first meet this pack) there is very little sense of Chay knowing any other gay guys. In here, Jake has at least two gay friends. It's not that many people compared to the number in the pack, s
L-D
This is my favorite book of the series so far. We met Jake and Remi in Without Reservations (Book #2). In WR, Remi, Chay's best friend, has a blowout with Chay when he finds out that Chay's mate, Keaton, is a man. Remi is confused because he knows Chay is straight, but he doesn't know that Chay is a werewolf and the mating bond is so strong. Chay and Remi reconcile at the end of Without Reservations and Remi is mortally wounded. In order to save him, Jake, another friend of Chay's turns him into ...more
Candice
I was kind of leery about reading this one. I was NOT a fan of Remi in Without Reservations. I thought he was a prick. How in the world was he going to deal with Jake.

Then, it happened. Oh boy. I fell in love with Jake and Remi! I loved how patient Jake was. He was letting Remi learn how to be a wolf before he threw the word "mate" at him.

Remi was so confused all the time at why he was always calmer around Jake and why he was always hard around him. HA! I loved their friendship and how Jake inc
Anna
It was hard for me to rate this book because there were some moments when I really liked it, but some other times it was just ok for me. The beginning, for me, was the best part. I liked the tension there was between Remi and Jake, and how Remi resisted his attraction to Jake. But then, he suddenly gave in just like that. I would've preferred it if he struggled with it for a bit longer.

My biggest problem with the book though was that there was wayyyyyy too much sex. I felt like all they did was
SA
and in this one langley did hit her stride. plot, compelling characters, significant detail, interworld politics, "with caution" had a lot more going on for it than I had anticipated given the previous two, not to mention a couple of subplots that langley clearly intends to tease out later. rhys & sterling! be still my heart.

I recommend this series with caveats--this reads like the earliest of attempts to write profic, and there's some clumsiness that langley does eventually overcome. but t
Leah
I was excited to read Jake and Remi story and J.L. Langley didn't disappoint. I ached for Remi and would've freckin killed Dirk myself if I could. As a kinky psychologist I'm almost always troubled when authors pair adult kink with former child abuse. While the two might often be correlated, one doesn't predispose the other. I think J.L. pulled it off delicately by including wolf hierarchies though it wasn't enough play for me. To each their own; yes? Hmm a Sterling & Rhys book? *bouncing in ...more
Heather C
I really started out loving this book from the very beginning. I enjoyed Remi's discovery of himself and his acceptance of Jake. And Sterling I absolutely adorable! I liked how this book includes more pack politics and the dynamics between the members. It felt more paranormal than the last book, too.

This one wasn't near as funny as the earlier books and also has more drama r/t Remi's family. But still has few LOL moments.

Oh, and it ends with a "Holy Shit" shocker!!
Veronica /  V
Oh dear, I didn't enjoy this sequel as much, and I nearly stopped reading it.
I found it really stupid that we have a bunch of werewolves and still let Remi's dad get away with his abusive behavior.
The worst part was that even we have 5 werewolves Sterling still got badly hurt by his father even when his freaking brother, his mate and Sterling's Mate knew that Sterling was in danger.
What a group of losers, Remi even when he was a wolf never stood up to his Abusive Father
Nope I didn't lik
Kazza
Why did I not mark this as read? Loved the book, love the series. Hope J L Langley can write some more soon because I miss her stories and her different series. To re read and write a proper review when I have the time.
Nerine Petros
With Caution is one of those books I will leave in my 'read when I feel like a good book' folder. With familial dynamics and previous history dictating many of the characters' interactions and reactions, there are times when it would have been easy to feel like I was missing something, but this story is a rich, complete tapestry with bits and pieces of information woven throughout.

Remi is one of the most beautiful characters I have ever encountered, and not in a physical sense. Complexity in thi
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • Altered Heart
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • Deceptions (Soul Mates, #2)
  • Knowing Caleb (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #5)
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Lone
  • Purgatory (Heaven Sent, #2)
  • Unexpected Demands (Hidden Wolves, #2)
  • Feral (Northern Shifters, #2)
  • Collision Course (Florida Books, #2)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)
  • The Long Way Home
1202850
JL has been talking since she was about seven months old. To those who know her it comes as no surprise, in fact, most will tell you she hasn’t shut up since. At eighteen months, she was speaking in full sentences. Imagine if you will the surprise of her admirers when they complimented her mother on “what a cute little boy” she had and received a fierce glare from said little boy and a very loud c ...more
More about J.L. Langley...

With or Without (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • With Love (With or Without, #0.5)
  • Hearts from the Ashes (includes With or Without, #0.5)
  • Without Reservations (With or Without #1)
  • A Lot To Be Thankful For (With or Without, #2.1)
  • A Sterling New Year (With or Without, #2.2)
  • With Abandon (With or Without, #3)
  • Christmas Dinner at Reynolds Hall (With or Without, #3.1)
  • Attack of the Killer Dust Bunnies (With or Without, #3.2)
  • Christmas Cookies and Garland (With or Without, #3.3)
  • Without Secrets (With or Without, #4)
The Tin Star (Ranch Series, #1) Without Reservations (With or Without #1) My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1) With Love (With or Without, #0.5) The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)

“In a daze, Remi stepped up to the battered old bar, next to Rhys. "What will it be?" the bartender asked Remi. "I'll have a Jake and Coke-uh, Jack and Cock, uh-" Oh fuck. Remi stopped talking. He could actually feel his face heat with a blush. Someone shoot me.” 19 likes
“Can I have Jake and Coke--uh, Jack and Cock” 10 likes