It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)

It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor #5)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Comfortably ensconced in their late great-uncle's "Grace and Favor" mansion, brother and sister Robert and Lily Brewster are riding out the Depression, penniless but in high style. Now a new day is heralded by Franklin Roosevelt's inauguration. Barely recovered from his trip to Washington to witness the historic event, Robert is rushed by Lily to a nearby nursing home, whe...more
Published March 29th 2005 by Avon (first published 2004)

Lis Carey
Lily and Robert Brewster are orphaned siblings, now in their twenties, living in their late great-uncle's mansion, Grace & Favor, with Mr. & Mrs. Prinney (the executor of their uncle's estate and his wife), a maid, and a couple of borders. It's 1933, the Great Depression is in full swing, and Franklin Roosevelt has just been sworn in as president.

In fact, Robert is away watching the Inaugural in Washington while Lily, at home in Voorburg, NY, a little town on the Hudson River, was visiti...more
Drebbles
Robert and Lily Brewster are siblings trying to make ends meet during the Depression. They have inherited their great uncle's mansion, but still must take in boarders and do odd jobs to earn money. In this installment in the "Grace and Favor" series, they take temporary jobs in a nursing home. Before long they are involved in another mystery when one of the patients is smothered in his bed. There are plenty of suspects, including the patient's wife and family, many of whom haven't seen or talked...more
Barks & Bites
I put this on my Ipod without knowing anything about the author, plot or especially that it was part of a series. I like surprises and will grab any new audio my library offers. I can tolerate so much more on audio than I can when I'm reading an actual book which I can too easily put aside and never pick up again. Sometimes this works out for me, other times not so much. This book is apparently smack in the middle of a series. I really hate coming into the middle of things like that. I felt lost...more
It Had to Be You is a charming cozy mystery set in the 1930's, back when mysteries weren't hampered by modern technology and forensics. The Grace & Favor series reminds me of Agatha Christie's mysteries that featured Tommy & Tuppence. Both contain a male/female amateur detecting team operating in approximately the same time period. Jill Churchill captures the feel of the 30's well, especially having her main characters suffering a great financial loss from the stock market crash of 1929....more
Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, cozy readers, depression era
Phair
Hard to get into this one. Have not read previous titles in the series and the author does not really bring new readers up to speed about the whos, whats & wheres so parts were confusing or vague. Not even really sure who is the main character here. Period color was only so-so. Characters were brought in but not developed. Is that typical of the series- salt in a few new characters each book who will in turn feature in future books? The ending was curiously abrupt...I turned the page to con...more
Kim
I found this to be a very dry read. The writing style was almost mechanical and I didn’t form a connection to any of the characters. I also got bored with repetitive bits about laundry and the dumbwaiter. It didn’t add to the progression of the plot and frankly, I found that boring. When I read a really good book I feel emerged in most scenes. However, in this book I felt more like a passerby nearly glancing in the windows. It didn’t do it for me.
Suzanne
Read some of these a few years ago and recently re-discovered them. I remember the earlier books in the series being better-crafted, whereas this one seems rushed. The historical context/events are stuck in awkwardly rather than woven into the plot, and the quickly wrapped-up ending was out of proportion to the highly-detailed ongoing saga of installing a dumbwaiter which had nothing to do with moving the plot forward.
Julia
I had read several of the authors Jane Jeffrey's series, but this was the first book in the Grace and Favor series that I have read. I am not the biggest fan of historical fiction, but this book was pretty good. I liked the brother and sister characters Robert and Lily. They both seemed nice and kind hearted, which I appreciate in a story. Reading unlikable characters gets tiring after awhile.
Laura Rodd
Fun, sweet daydream read.
Dolly
Dec 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is the fifth book in the Grace and Favor series of mysteries and so far I've really enjoyed them. I have the sixth book and I believe another should be published soon. I am looking forward to it. The mysteries are pretty good, but I really enjoy the historical background and the development of the main characters.

new words: petechial
Melissa
I have complained about previous books in this series treating the suspicious deaths almost as an afterthought while the story seems to focus on the historical setting. This book definitely has the focus on the murder, but I am not sure it is any more successful.

And yet I keep reading them! go figure!
Awwwtrouble
I like these cozies, really enjoying the stories of grace and favor and the villagers. But this was a disappointment - the mystery is usually an afterthought, but this time it was wrapped up so quickly and there was no explanation for any motivations. Bummed there is only one more left, hope it is good!
Susan
I finished the book but I didn't like it. The mystery was never decently explained in the book. I am one who likes to know why things happen, especially in a mystery, and I didn't get that in this book. This is definetely not one of the author's better books.
Lucy
Sep 07, 2009 Lucy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical mystery fans
Jill Churchill has other series about soccer mom slueths. I preder this one for it's interesting take on the Depression from the point of view of a brother and sister who were once quite wealthy. Usually books about this time period are about the down and out.
Betty Ann Baer
I thought this book was really poorly written. The sentences were short and didn't flow. It was very shallow. I read this book to see if it would be good for book club, but I wouldn't choose it.
Gail
I didn't like this book. Too many things happened that had nothing to do with the mystery.
MommaLaura
I'm not very fond of knowing who the murderer is before you get through the first few chapters.
Sara Grotz
I enjoy this series. They are personable characters I enjoy seeing grow over the series.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor Mysteries, No. 5) by Jill Churchill (2005)
John
will not read the rest of this one not so good.
Dhaverma
Mystery , easy read, too sappy
Charmaine Puzey
It was a good quick read.
Alice
1 and a half stars
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Damsels in Distress (Claire Malloy, #16)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #20)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13)
  • Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16)
  • The Bohemian Murders (Fremont Jones, #3)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an...more
More about Jill Churchill...
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)