Start by marking “It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)” as Want to Read:
It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)

It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor #5)

It Had to Be You (Grace
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published March 29th 2005 by Avon (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It Had to Be You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Had to Be You

Rachel
This is the fifth entry in the Grace and Favor mystery series, set in New York during the depression. This time around Lily and Robert Brewster are hired to help at a nearby nursing home when one of the patients is murdered. Lily and Robert don't actually do much investigating this time and their main involvement in the story is getting a dumbwaiter installed in the nursing home. The ending seemed a bit rushed and why the murder had to occur when the victim was going to die of natural causes tha ...more
Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs, cozy readers, depression era
Lis Carey
Lily and Robert Brewster are orphaned siblings, now in their twenties, living in their late great-uncle's mansion, Grace & Favor, with Mr. & Mrs. Prinney (the executor of their uncle's estate and his wife), a maid, and a couple of borders. It's 1933, the Great Depression is in full swing, and Franklin Roosevelt has just been sworn in as president.

In fact, Robert is away watching the Inaugural in Washington while Lily, at home in Voorburg, NY, a little town on the Hudson River, was visiti
Drebbles
Sep 22, 2009 Drebbles rated it liked it
Shelves: 2005
Robert and Lily Brewster are siblings trying to make ends meet during the Depression. They have inherited their great uncle's mansion, but still must take in boarders and do odd jobs to earn money. In this installment in the "Grace and Favor" series, they take temporary jobs in a nursing home. Before long they are involved in another mystery when one of the patients is smothered in his bed. There are plenty of suspects, including the patient's wife and family, many of whom haven't seen or talked ...more
Apr 04, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
It Had to Be You is a charming cozy mystery set in the 1930's, back when mysteries weren't hampered by modern technology and forensics. The Grace & Favor series reminds me of Agatha Christie's mysteries that featured Tommy & Tuppence. Both contain a male/female amateur detecting team operating in approximately the same time period. Jill Churchill captures the feel of the 30's well, especially having her main characters suffering a great financial loss from the stock market crash of 1929. ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Nov 23, 2009 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
I put this on my Ipod without knowing anything about the author, plot or especially that it was part of a series. I like surprises and will grab any new audio my library offers. I can tolerate so much more on audio than I can when I'm reading an actual book which I can too easily put aside and never pick up again. Sometimes this works out for me, other times not so much. This book is apparently smack in the middle of a series. I really hate coming into the middle of things like that. I felt lost ...more
Marjorie
Mar 16, 2015 Marjorie rated it really liked it
FDR is inaugurated and Robert goes to Washington to see this historic event take place. Upon his return, Robert and Lily take temporary jobs in a Nursing Home. Of course a patient is murdered, which is puzzling because he was dying anyway, and another body shows up. Robert convinces the Nursing Home operator to install a dumbwaiter to make things easier than hauling the laundry up and down the stairs. How interesting to read about this time in America. Likable characters, you should start with t ...more
Phair
Oct 03, 2009 Phair rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Hard to get into this one. Have not read previous titles in the series and the author does not really bring new readers up to speed about the whos, whats & wheres so parts were confusing or vague. Not even really sure who is the main character here. Period color was only so-so. Characters were brought in but not developed. Is that typical of the series- salt in a few new characters each book who will in turn feature in future books? The ending was curiously abrupt...I turned the page to con ...more
Lucy
Robert goes to Washington for FDR’s inauguration, only to find that his old college buddies are either not in town, or not in favor of FDR. In order to earn some money, Lily agrees to help out at a local nursing home when an assistant nurse gets sick. When she and Robert get there they find the work load is greater than expected. Robert suggests a helpful improvement. While they’re there, a disagreeable dying man is murdered. Why bother?
Kim
Feb 28, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I found this to be a very dry read. The writing style was almost mechanical and I didn’t form a connection to any of the characters. I also got bored with repetitive bits about laundry and the dumbwaiter. It didn’t add to the progression of the plot and frankly, I found that boring. When I read a really good book I feel emerged in most scenes. However, in this book I felt more like a passerby nearly glancing in the windows. It didn’t do it for me.
Suzanne
Jul 04, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it
Read some of these a few years ago and recently re-discovered them. I remember the earlier books in the series being better-crafted, whereas this one seems rushed. The historical context/events are stuck in awkwardly rather than woven into the plot, and the quickly wrapped-up ending was out of proportion to the highly-detailed ongoing saga of installing a dumbwaiter which had nothing to do with moving the plot forward.
Awwwtrouble
Apr 30, 2013 Awwwtrouble rated it liked it
I like these cozies, really enjoying the stories of grace and favor and the villagers. But this was a disappointment - the mystery is usually an afterthought, but this time it was wrapped up so quickly and there was no explanation for any motivations. Bummed there is only one more left, hope it is good!
Melissa
I have complained about previous books in this series treating the suspicious deaths almost as an afterthought while the story seems to focus on the historical setting. This book definitely has the focus on the murder, but I am not sure it is any more successful.

And yet I keep reading them! go figure!
Julia
Sep 30, 2010 Julia rated it liked it
I had read several of the authors Jane Jeffrey's series, but this was the first book in the Grace and Favor series that I have read. I am not the biggest fan of historical fiction, but this book was pretty good. I liked the brother and sister characters Robert and Lily. They both seemed nice and kind hearted, which I appreciate in a story. Reading unlikable characters gets tiring after awhile.
Dolly
Nov 12, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is the fifth book in the Grace and Favor series of mysteries and so far I've really enjoyed them. I have the sixth book and I believe another should be published soon. I am looking forward to it. The mysteries are pretty good, but I really enjoy the historical background and the development of the main characters.

new words: petechial
Susan
Mar 15, 2008 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-for-2008
I finished the book but I didn't like it. The mystery was never decently explained in the book. I am one who likes to know why things happen, especially in a mystery, and I didn't get that in this book. This is definetely not one of the author's better books.
Lucy
Dec 26, 2007 Lucy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical mystery fans
Jill Churchill has other series about soccer mom slueths. I preder this one for it's interesting take on the Depression from the point of view of a brother and sister who were once quite wealthy. Usually books about this time period are about the down and out.
Wyshona D. Lawson
May 15, 2013 Wyshona D. Lawson rated it liked it
While I loved the first four books in this series, something seemed off about this one. There was quite a bit of repetition, and Lily and Robert didn't have much to do with the solving of this one.
Val
Jun 01, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
A Grace and Favor mystery. Great series set in the 1930s. Good descriptions and usually a twist in the plot somewhere.
Ami
Jul 09, 2016 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: series
I've enjoyed this series and the characters and setting are still interesting and likable, but the mystery was pretty lame.
Carolyn Tassie
Lily and Robert always have a good story, but I was disappointed that they weren't featured in the story as much as in the others in the the series,but of course they were there for "the solve."
Betty Ann Baer
Sep 01, 2011 Betty Ann Baer rated it did not like it
I thought this book was really poorly written. The sentences were short and didn't flow. It was very shallow. I read this book to see if it would be good for book club, but I wouldn't choose it.
Jennifer L. Jones
Jennifer L. Jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Luna Raven
Luna Raven rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2010
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Aldee
Aldee rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Carla Langston
Carla Langston rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Mindy
Mindy rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Play Book Tag: It Had to be You by Jill Churchill 3 stars 1 7 Feb 17, 2017 07:43AM
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast, #20)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Damsels in Distress (Claire Malloy, #16)
  • Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16)
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
  • Knitting Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #11)
  • Murder Can Singe Your Old Flame (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #6)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)
  • Biggie and the Fricasseed Fat Man (Biggie Weatherford, #3)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Grace & Favor (7 books)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)
  • Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace & Favor,  #7)