The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)

The Vig (Dismas Hardy #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,188 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A beautiful woman paid it with her body. A seedy lawyer used somebody else’s money. It’s the vig – the exorbitant interest mob loan sharks take on their money. Now, in the city by the Bay, everyone has to pay…

Down-and-out-lawyer Rusty Ingraham left behind a murdered woman and a houseboat splattered with blood. All the evidence said Ingraham was in San Francisco Bay. Dead....more
Published August 1st 2006 by Signet (first published January 8th 1991)

Heavy Duty People by Iain ParkeEveryone Burns by John DolanHeavy Duty Attitude by Iain ParkeHeavy Duty Trouble by Iain ParkeThe Liquidator by Iain Parke
Favourite Crime & Thrillers
89th out of 367 books — 453 voters
Trueman Bradley by Alexei Maxim RussellShadow Man by Cody McFadyenThe Rosary Girls by Richard MontanariOff the Grid by P.J. TracyFever Dream by Douglas Preston
Quirky crime-solvers
19th out of 44 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Cathy DuPont
Although I prefer reading from book number one in a series, sometimes it's not all that important. However, in this series, I believe it is important for the development of the main character, Dismas (Diz) Hardy.

He's an interesting guy; an ex-cop, ex-assistant prosecutor and now part-owner and bartender at the Little Shamrock, a local bar. Notice, I didn't say ‘fern bar’ like in TGIF or the like. It’s a neighborhood working man’s bar.

For much of the book Diz is looking over his shoulder after an...more
Tammy Walton Grant
The blurb on the cover of this one says, "the plot twists and turns..."

Having just emerged from this tale I'd go one further and call it labrynthian.

This is book 2 of the Dismas Hardy series, and for me, it filled in the picture I had of Dismas, Frannie, Abe and Moses even further. (I initially started this series at book #4, and have now just started re-reading from the beginning.)

It also gave me a hefty respect for the sheer amount of talent it takes to be an author. Not only do you need to h...more
Mark Soone
Totally cool read, that I enjoyed more than its predecessor. Lescroart brings Dismas Hardy back in this second installment of the series.

I really enjoy Hardy as a character, and although I am not sure if Abe Glitsky will be his co-star (for lack of a better word) is another cool addition. Dismas is back, and this time a paroled convict who has threatened to kill both Dismas and his friend Rusty is at the thick of the action....within a day a double murder (perhaps) has occurred, and Rusty is mis...more
Mary JL
Nov 14, 2012 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any fan of legal or police thrillers
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
As usual, iin Lescroart's "Dismas Hardy" series, he has an interesting plot and an wide range of well-drawn characters. Murder, loan sharks, threats and politics all mixed up in a nice legal /suspernse thriller. The series' books do not need to be read in order---each can stand alone.

This is an early one in the Dismas Hardy series and one part I liked is the interaction between Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky. While Hardy is frantic over a death threat made earlier by a parolee, Glitsky feels such...more
Andrea
Second Dismas Hardy mystery. Dismas is still working as a bartender at The Shamrock, when he spots a face from the past; a man steps off the city bus and enters the Shamrock. His name is Rusty Ingraham, a former Deputy DA with Hardy in the San Francisco DA's office. Dismas buys the apparently down and out Ingraham a drink and Ingraham tells Hardy that Louis Baker has been paroled from San Quentin after 9 years, but short of his full sentence of 13 years. Both Hardy and Ingraham had prosecuted Ba...more
Dale
A solid, more upbeat sequel to Dead Irish

Although The Vig is intended to be a stand alone, I would strongly recommend reading the previous Dismas Hardy book entitled Dead Irish to understand some of the self-torment on the part of Dismas Hardy that continues into this book.

For those that have read Dead Irish , this book is not nearly so dark and tortured. Not that it's a comedy since there are plenty of people dying, being set up in criminal schemes and hard choices are faced by many of the ma...more
J
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I DON'T HIDE OR PROMOTE MY REVIEWS. (I summarize to help me remember what I read; sometimes I throw in a critique.)

This is the installment in the life of Dismas Hardy in which he "hooks up" with Frannie, who as Dismas' wife, wends in and out of the subsequent books.

Dismas is always a crime solver whether, as in this book, he's just tending bar ... or is working as a prosecutor or a criminal defense lawyer or even between jobs.

What I liked about this installment is that autho...more
Linda
The ex-cop and DA turned bartender, following the death of his infant son, Dismas Hardy is the protagonist in this second episode in the series that bears his name. Diz has been coasting for a good ten years now, when a former colleague, Rusty Ingraham, shows up at the bar, to warn Diz that a newly paroled ex-con is gunning for him. Diz is dismayed and not a little frightened, and the tension escalates when Rusty, apparently a murder victim, disappears. Hardy takes a break from tending bar, hopi...more
Jen
In the second book of the Dismas Hardy series by John Lescroart, Dismas is visited by Rusty Ingraham, an old colleague from the District Attorney's office. It seems Louis Baker, a defendent that swore he'd kill both Rusty and Dismas when he was released is preparing to be released. Rusty fears this con will actually come after them, so he asks Dismas to set up a check system. Dismas calls Rusty each morning at 10a.m. and Rusty calls Dismas each night at 10p.m. If either one doesn't call or isn't...more
Marcia
This story has a lot of minor characters, some of whom just fill space. The major characters, however, are consistent and familiar to readers of the series. Dismas Hardy sorts out his emotional life some in the end. The last chapter ties all the loose ends a bit too tightly. Real life is messy and rarely has such definite endings.
Carl Alves
The Vig was a decent enough story, but it doesn't really stand out from the pack. In The Vig, a violent felon is released from prison in a case that Dismas Hardy prosecuted years back. After the detective in the case warns Hardy, he runs scared. As the book unfolds it becomes apparent that the killings going on in the story aren't related to the felon. There's more that's lurking underneath the story. Even after the felon gets arrested, Hardy won't let it go. With the help of his friend, Abe Gli...more
Karry
The second in the series of Dismas Hardy books was an enjoyable read with plot twists and turns that were pretty much unexpected. Someone shows up from Hardy's past telling him that the bad guy that had threatened to kill them was being released from prison so they should keep in close touch with each other. Then the guy disappears and his girl friend is found dead on his houseboat. Dismas is trying to find out if his old acquaintance is dead or missing. It's a convoluted story but a good one. I...more
Marc
Having enjoyed several later books of this series, I determined to read them in order.

Frankly, I very much prefer later books with their courtroom drama.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed reading about these earlier years of Dismas Hardy.
Enrico Tassinari
The plot is good and the development of the main characters gets deeper, but I solved the mystery at page 30. Being this book intended to show some twists and clues, well, it didn't work with me.
Susan
For some reason, I'd never read any Lescroart before. The Vig is a good one to start with. It's not a fast book, which kind of suited me when I read it. It was quite engaging, though. Rusty Ingraham and Dismas Hardy had served together in the DA's office when they send Louis Baker, a cold blooded killer, up the river. Baker vowed, at the time, to make them pay. Years later both of them are out of the biz and down on their luck and Baker's getting out. Then Ingraham is missing leaving a trail of...more
Patty
Second in a well-written series featuring a lawyer ex-cop. I was trying to figure out who "done it" all the way to the end. Also a good romance inbetween the murder investigation.
IC
Very nice! The description above contains a spoiler, I'm glad I read it after finishing the book.
Anne
A friend suggested this series and I read "Dead Irish", the first book, a few weeks ago and "The Vig" followed that one in the series.

I didn't like "The Vig" as much as the first one although I liked that they had many of the same characters so I knew a little of their history and understood how they were connected.

I thought the book was a little hard to follow in places - so many subplots and not always sure how some of the characters fit into the whole scheme of things until the end.

I plan to...more
Loretta
Good murder mystery! Lots of twists and turns.
Christian and Amy
Chris - I picked this one up from the Library on a whim, and really liked it. I'm not sure if the character of Harding shows up in other books by Lescroart, but I intend to find out.
Harding is a retired cop who became an assistant DA, and also retired from that.
So, as he uncovers mysteries, you get that law angle, as well as the cop angle.
It's a good read.
Kenneth
I sped through this and enjoyed it a bit more than the first one- although the first book was necessary for me to be more comfortable and familiar with the cast of regular characters. I'm still getting a kick out of the settings and locales and how they relate to where I'm living now- especially because Lescroart shows the less glamorous side (ie. the cold, the fog)
Joe
Good investigative follow up to Dead Irish, this time sees Dismas investigate the apparent murder of a former friend and colleague who recently dropped back into Dismas's life.

Good story and original plot keeps this book moving along, this looks like a nice original series I'll definitely be reading the third book Hard evidence..
Helena
May 02, 2009 Helena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of american detective fiction
I enjoyed this book but Lescroart is my kind of author . I have read many and enjoyed them all .This book is a little dated as technology had moved on so much since it was written. Good plot that twists and turns .Why only three stars , I am just tough on rating books !Will I read more by the same author ,most certainly .
Salsadancer
Cop murder mystery, drags tediously along
Amy
I liked this one better than Dead Irish, but still not a the best example of a Lescroart book. If it had been my first, I don't know that I would've read more. I am enjoying getting the full back story of the characters by going back to these first books in the series.
Peg
Just discovered this author and his characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky, a lawyer and a chief of detectives who solve crimes in the San Francisco area.

Won't describe each murder mystery, just saying I really like this author, the characters, and the tales he spins.
Deanna Hansen
Aug 25, 2009 Deanna Hansen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Deanna by: Mary Ann Sutton
Shelves: zune
Continuation of Dead Irish with same characters 3 months later. Lots of review of previous story and repetition of certain phrases (white scar on detective's lip) became irritating as story moved along.
Kelly
I made the mistake of reading a novel later in the series & I absolutely could not put it down. I'm trying to get up to speed. I hope the books will get up to speed soon too! Nevertheless, still a great read.
Darlis

Another good one. However, it is clearly an early one in the series. You can tell by the repitions, language, etc. that this is not the height of the series. But it was fun to listen to in the car.
Allie
I wanted to quit reading this book multiple times but powered through, it's okay but the ending is somewhat predictable. This is the first of the Dismas Hardy series I've read, not sure if I'll read another.
"The Vig" 3 19 Apr 21, 2014 04:52PM
  • The Outside Man
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Irresistible Impulse
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
  • Damage Control
  • Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)
  • The Takeover
  • On Borrowed Time
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov...more
More about John Lescroart...
The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4) Damage (Abe Glitsky, #3) A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13) The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10) Dead Irish

“You ever think that life is something that happens and that you’re not ever completely prepared for?” 6 likes