Start by marking “The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)

The Vig (Dismas Hardy #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,793 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
A beautiful woman paid it with her body. A seedy lawyer used somebody else’s money. It’s the vig – the exorbitant interest mob loan sharks take on their money. Now, in the city by the Bay, everyone has to pay…

Down-and-out-lawyer Rusty Ingraham left behind a murdered woman and a houseboat splattered with blood. All the evidence said Ingraham was in San Francisco Bay. Dead.
Published August 1st 2006 by Signet (first published January 8th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Vig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vig

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTell No One by Harlan CobenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeEveryone Burns by John Dolan
Favourite Crime & Thrillers
118th out of 745 books — 695 voters
The Vig by John LescroartThe Oath by John LescroartDead Irish by John LescroartThe First Law by John LescroartA Certain Justice by John Lescroart
Best of John Lescroart
1st out of 53 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
An old book but a great book. I started reading this Dismas Hardy series unfortunately in the middle of it before I realized it was a series.. So I backtracked and started at the beginning. Great characters. Well written. My kind of cop/detective story. This was book 2 and I believe there are 16 books in this series. Its like the Robert Parker, Jesse Stone series. I often compare cop books to his writing. I find the Parker books very comfortable. Nothing that will stop your heart or make you fal ...more
Mike French
Mar 18, 2015 Mike French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable and entertaining. I am looking forward to reading more of this series!
Cathy DuPont
Although I prefer reading from book number one in a series, sometimes it's not all that important. However, in this series, I believe it is important for the development of the main character, Dismas (Diz) Hardy.

He's an interesting guy; an ex-cop, ex-assistant prosecutor and now part-owner and bartender at the Little Shamrock, a local bar. Notice, I didn't say ‘fern bar’ like in TGIF or the like. It’s a neighborhood working man’s bar.

For much of the book Diz is looking over his shoulder after an
Tammy Walton Grant
The blurb on the cover of this one says, "the plot twists and turns..."

Having just emerged from this tale I'd go one further and call it labrynthian.

This is book 2 of the Dismas Hardy series, and for me, it filled in the picture I had of Dismas, Frannie, Abe and Moses even further. (I initially started this series at book #4, and have now just started re-reading from the beginning.)

It also gave me a hefty respect for the sheer amount of talent it takes to be an author. Not only do you need to h
Susan
Aug 07, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
Months ago I read Guilt (Abe Glitsky, #2) by John Lescroart, featuring the dynamic duo D.A. Dismas Hardy and his homicide detective sidekick Abe Glitsky. Hardy I like. Glitsky [the son of a Jewish father and a black mother] I adore. As The Vig opens, neither is happy. Years ago, Hardy and another prosecutor [Rusty] sent a black man to prison; now he's out and the word is, he intends to kill them. Glitsky is frustrated by what he sees as a lack of effort by many of his police department colleagues.

But there are plenty of murders to ke
Mark Soone
Jan 18, 2014 Mark Soone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally cool read, that I enjoyed more than its predecessor. Lescroart brings Dismas Hardy back in this second installment of the series.

I really enjoy Hardy as a character, and although I am not sure if Abe Glitsky will be his co-star (for lack of a better word) is another cool addition. Dismas is back, and this time a paroled convict who has threatened to kill both Dismas and his friend Rusty is at the thick of the action....within a day a double murder (perhaps) has occurred, and Rusty is mis
Mary JL
Nov 14, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any fan of legal or police thrillers
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
As usual, iin Lescroart's "Dismas Hardy" series, he has an interesting plot and an wide range of well-drawn characters. Murder, loan sharks, threats and politics all mixed up in a nice legal /suspernse thriller. The series' books do not need to be read in order---each can stand alone.

This is an early one in the Dismas Hardy series and one part I liked is the interaction between Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky. While Hardy is frantic over a death threat made earlier by a parolee, Glitsky feels such
K
Jan 25, 2016 K rated it liked it
This was my first experience with this author. It was well done, but I found myself having trouble connecting with the characters until the very end. The plot was a bit too transparent for my tastes, but it was still an entertaing read. I might read more from this author but it will unlikely be something I'm in a hurry to do. I think the Nordic Noir authors and Michael Connelly just do it better, setting a rather high bar.
Travis of NNY
Oct 28, 2015 Travis of NNY rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable entry to Dismas Hardy. This is only my second book in the series but I'm going to be bold and dare to say I think this series is right on par with Harry Bosch. And that is a pretty big compliment as I love that series.
Gary
Feb 11, 2016 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember enjoying lots of books by this guy. It's fun, with cool characters, a quick pace, a plausible story line. Nice dialogue, setting. Solid narration. Tight focus. Some sex.

If you are in the mood, however, to spend your time thinking about what you're reading, you'll see the stereotypes, and the view is not nice. For instance, we have a big, tough, scary, black man as a villain and that he is black, tough, scary, and big is what carries the plot and all the other characters for many pages
Kai Palchikoff
Payback is murder.A beautiful woman paid it with her body.__A seedy lawyer used somebody else's money.__It's the vig--the exorbitant interest mob loan sharks take on their money.__Now, in the city by the Bay, everyone has to pay...Down-and-out-lawyer Rusty Ingraham left behind a murdered woman and a houseboat splattered with blood.__All the evidence said Ingraham was in San Francisco Bay.__Dead.__But a friend of Ingraham's, former cop and prosecutor Dismas Hardy, isn't so sure.__And Hardy has to ...more
Andrea
Nov 03, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thriller
Second Dismas Hardy mystery. Dismas is still working as a bartender at The Shamrock, when he spots a face from the past; a man steps off the city bus and enters the Shamrock. His name is Rusty Ingraham, a former Deputy DA with Hardy in the San Francisco DA's office. Dismas buys the apparently down and out Ingraham a drink and Ingraham tells Hardy that Louis Baker has been paroled from San Quentin after 9 years, but short of his full sentence of 13 years. Both Hardy and Ingraham had prosecuted Ba ...more
Dale
Jul 17, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it
A solid, more upbeat sequel to Dead Irish

Although The Vig is intended to be a stand alone, I would strongly recommend reading the previous Dismas Hardy book entitled Dead Irish to understand some of the self-torment on the part of Dismas Hardy that continues into this book.

For those that have read Dead Irish , this book is not nearly so dark and tortured. Not that it's a comedy since there are plenty of people dying, being set up in criminal schemes and hard choices are faced by many of the
J
Jul 27, 2013 J rated it liked it
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I DON'T HIDE OR PROMOTE MY REVIEWS. (I summarize to help me remember what I read; sometimes I throw in a critique.)

This is the installment in the life of Dismas Hardy in which he "hooks up" with Frannie, who as Dismas' wife, wends in and out of the subsequent books.

Dismas is always a crime solver whether, as in this book, he's just tending bar ... or is working as a prosecutor or a criminal defense lawyer or even between jobs.

What I liked about this installment is that autho
Linda
Jul 10, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
The ex-cop and DA turned bartender, following the death of his infant son, Dismas Hardy is the protagonist in this second episode in the series that bears his name. Diz has been coasting for a good ten years now, when a former colleague, Rusty Ingraham, shows up at the bar, to warn Diz that a newly paroled ex-con is gunning for him. Diz is dismayed and not a little frightened, and the tension escalates when Rusty, apparently a murder victim, disappears. Hardy takes a break from tending bar, hopi ...more
Jen
Nov 11, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
In the second book of the Dismas Hardy series by John Lescroart, Dismas is visited by Rusty Ingraham, an old colleague from the District Attorney's office. It seems Louis Baker, a defendent that swore he'd kill both Rusty and Dismas when he was released is preparing to be released. Rusty fears this con will actually come after them, so he asks Dismas to set up a check system. Dismas calls Rusty each morning at 10a.m. and Rusty calls Dismas each night at 10p.m. If either one doesn't call or isn't ...more
Mayur
Mar 18, 2016 Mayur rated it liked it
Well bought this 2 years ago and reading it now, there are so many things happening at the same time in the book that one feels lack of flow and continuity. The plot is gripping but at many places in middle it looses that grip and by 75% of the book you can easily guess the culprit. You get to know how the mind of a cop works (which I feel is quite boring) and the only good part of the book is the end part. Not bad but definitely not that great too, i'll say it's a time passer.
Lynette
Mar 09, 2016 Lynette rated it really liked it
Great twisty-turn-y story including all sorts of action played off against introspection. I like the main characters in this series – they’re smart and thorough, and they suffer from a lot of the same afflictions that burden regular honest people – the easy way out doesn’t necessarily make it easy to sleep at night. I kind of saw the biggest plot twist coming, but it was still fun to see how it played out. Good series.
Marcia
Apr 24, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it
This story has a lot of minor characters, some of whom just fill space. The major characters, however, are consistent and familiar to readers of the series. Dismas Hardy sorts out his emotional life some in the end. The last chapter ties all the loose ends a bit too tightly. Real life is messy and rarely has such definite endings.
Terri Floccare
Jan 21, 2015 Terri Floccare rated it liked it
The adventures continue with my new friends Dis and Abe. As much as I like those two, the minor characters in this book are very stereotypical, and it's easy to tell who's expendable and who'll be sticking around. The whole Mexico subplot was a bit preposterous.
Gloria Barton
Jun 04, 2016 Gloria Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and kept my attention and curiosity.

If you like cops and robbers, this is a good read. Lescroart weaves his stories in and out of love and crime in a way to keep the reader intrigued with both themes. A little bit of all for everyone.
Carl Alves
May 19, 2012 Carl Alves rated it liked it
The Vig was a decent enough story, but it doesn't really stand out from the pack. In The Vig, a violent felon is released from prison in a case that Dismas Hardy prosecuted years back. After the detective in the case warns Hardy, he runs scared. As the book unfolds it becomes apparent that the killings going on in the story aren't related to the felon. There's more that's lurking underneath the story. Even after the felon gets arrested, Hardy won't let it go. With the help of his friend, Abe Gli ...more
George Miles
Mar 03, 2016 George Miles rated it really liked it
Solid 2nd entry in the Dismas Hardy series. Complex, flawed protagonists; interesting, if somewhat obvious from the reader's perspective, main plot; several slightly related minor plot lines to keep it really interesting. All in all, good book.
Karen C
I liked it but would have liked it better if the author hadn't included an animal killing in it. I do not understand why mystery authors feel the need to do this so often. It is unnecessary. The point could have been made without that cruelty.
Wendy
Aug 03, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books! Having read #3-current, I had to finally go back and pickup the first 2. Not disappointed. Even though I knew some things because I'd read the next books, was fun to hear how things started with all of the main characters.

Thought I had this one pegged pretty close to the beginning, but not so! Lots of wondering.
Ann Rieth
Mar 10, 2016 Ann Rieth rated it it was ok
I usually like Hardy and Gretsky, but I didn't particularly like this story. I was listening on audible, and I think it seemed disjointed. This was an old story that I hadn't read, but I was disappointed.
Karry
Jun 23, 2014 Karry rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, series
The second in the series of Dismas Hardy books was an enjoyable read with plot twists and turns that were pretty much unexpected. Someone shows up from Hardy's past telling him that the bad guy that had threatened to kill them was being released from prison so they should keep in close touch with each other. Then the guy disappears and his girl friend is found dead on his houseboat. Dismas is trying to find out if his old acquaintance is dead or missing. It's a convoluted story but a good one. I ...more
Marc
Feb 01, 2014 Marc rated it liked it
Shelves: john-lescroart
Having enjoyed several later books of this series, I determined to read them in order.

Frankly, I very much prefer later books with their courtroom drama.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed reading about these earlier years of Dismas Hardy.
Mickey Hoffman
Feb 24, 2016 Mickey Hoffman rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series, but I still find it hard to get used to the author's use of multiple points of view.
Enrico Tassinari
Jun 03, 2014 Enrico Tassinari rated it liked it
The plot is good and the development of the main characters gets deeper, but I solved the mystery at page 30. Being this book intended to show some twists and clues, well, it didn't work with me.
"The Vig" 4 25 Sep 25, 2014 04:21PM
  • Murder One (Ben Kincaid, #10)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • The Outside Man
  • Above the Law
  • Falling Glass
  • The Will
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov
More about John Lescroart...

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)

“You ever think that life is something that happens and that you’re not ever completely prepared for?” 5 likes
“If you want summer in San Francisco, plan your vacation for the fall.” 0 likes