Start by marking “A Little Princess” as Want to Read:
A Little Princess

A Little Princess (Classic Starts)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  3,584 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Following Sterling's spectacularly successful launch of its children's classic novels (240,000 books in print to date),comes a dazzling new series: Classic Starts. The stories are abridged; the quality is complete. Classic Starts treats the world's beloved tales (and children) with the respect they deserve--all at an incomparable price.
Poor Sara Crewe. Once upon a time her
Published March 1st 2005 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about A Little Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Princess

A Little Princess by Tania ZamorskyThe Secret Garden by Martha Hailey DuBoseAnne of Green Gables by Kathleen OlmsteadAnne of Avonlea by Kathleen OlmsteadLittle Lord Fauntleroy by Eva Mason
Classic Starts Series
1st out of 47 books — 23 voters
The Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Carer by Scott  NelsonMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
City of London
49th out of 104 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

VJ
Sep 28, 2012 VJ rated it really liked it
I was only familiar with the Shirley Temple version of this story and was pleased to finally read a version of the original Burnett book. I picked up this lovely hardbound copy at my Friends of the Library book sale, which I will donate to Better World Books.

Sara Crewe is living in Miss Minchin's boarding school while her father goes on a business trip to India. There, he contracts brain fever and dies, leaving Sara orphaned and at the mercy of Miss Minchin, a shrewd shrew drawn to perfection. S
Anna Gille
Oct 07, 2015 Anna Gille rated it it was amazing

This book is about a girl that is named Sara. She is 7 in the beginning, but for most of the time, she is 11. She is spoiled by her father Captain Crewe, and he always treats Sara like a princess. Then Sara is sent to a boarding school, because her dad has to go and fight in world war one. She doesn't remember a thing about her mom though because her mother died when Sara was just 2. Sara is a happy little girl who believes in magic and has a huge imagination. When she is at the boarding school,
Jeeyeon Kang
May 19, 2013 Jeeyeon Kang rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
I choose this book because my mom brought it one day for me to read saying that she read it when she was little. This story is about a little girl who had to live in a all girls house because her father couldn't take care of her. But her life changes when her father dies and cant pay her rent fess. In the house she lives as a princess but she becomes a slave after her father died. My favorite quote in the book is "Oh no, I left you sleeping because you looked so tired". This showed how she cared ...more
Tessa
Feb 29, 2016 Tessa rated it liked it
I could not find a copy of the original Frances Hodgson Burnett novel anywhere, but this children's adaptation was a good substitute/summary.

A friend told me to read this story and pay attention to Sara. No matter what anyone said to her, how badly she was treated, or how awful her circumstances were, Sara knew who she was. She knew that she was valuable; she rested in her identity as a princess. She felt despair, and she had moments of imperfection, but it made her human. Her gentle strength a
Ebookwormy
Mar 25, 2014 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This adaptation faithfully captures the classic story for elementary (or adults short on time) readers. This is not a highly layered or nuanced treatment, but children will be familiar with the story line and character development, as well as able to determine if the full length original is of interest.

Most of the editing made sense to me, but I'm still troubled as to why they changed the rug from red to blue, but left the rose colored lamp, rose colored? It's the little things that niggle at yo
Amanda
Oct 11, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because it is a timeless classic.This book is about a girl, named Sara Crewe, who is the daughter of a wealthy captain. He is called to join the war and when he is reported dead, she must go to a dreadful school called miss Minchin's school For Girls.I don't really have a favorite quote from this book, but my favorite part of this book is when Sara by calms Lottie down by telling her a story.The author's writing style is written through the characters of the book.I would ...more
Margaret
Sep 21, 2015 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: princesses, favorites
I love this book. And I love Sara. Even though, her dad gives such nice things, what really makes her special is her character. She is so kind, and is always concerned for others. In addition, she has such good imagination and believes in herself. Even when times get hard and she has to work as a servant girl and lived in an old attic.

I also like how in the back of the book, there are discussion questions that you can think about after you finishing read it.
Debbie
Nov 01, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
I read this book to my kids without remembering the story. My 8 and 6 year-olds really liked it!It changed my daughter's way of thinking. After we finished, she went through her clothes and toys and wants to give them away to kids who don't have much. Love her.
Lisa
Feb 27, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I've always loved this story and enjoyed it even more reading it along with my little girl. Such a sweet story!
Sami Allman
Oct 30, 2016 Sami Allman rated it it was amazing
This book was a birthday gift from my Gramps when I turned 6. (Or 7? I don't remember exactly.) I loved it so much. It was the first book to ever make me cry. I read it multiple times thereafter, and it made me cry every time.
Kakawa
Oct 07, 2016 Kakawa rated it it was amazing
I read that book along time ago but i thought i would write my review Because that book is just so GREAT, It just reminded me of my childhood and the series it self ; i was so glad that it was as good :)
In conclusion its a lovely heartwarming book. (Just read it)
Meta Morfillah
Jun 03, 2015 Meta Morfillah rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel-kupunya
Judul: A Little Princess
Penulis: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Penerbit: Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Dimensi: 312 hlm, 20 cm, cetakan I November 2010
ISBN: 978 979 22 6406 7

Saat baru tiba di London dan menjadi murid di sebuah sekolah asrama bergengsi, Sara Crewe memiliki segalanya--pakaian indah, boneka cantik dan ayah yang selalu memenuhi segala keinginannya. Kehadirannya pun begitu menarik perhatian para murid asrama tersebut. Ia begitu dewasa dalam pemikiran, meski suka sekali berkhayal, pandai bercerita d
Autumn Clubb
Dec 08, 2014 Autumn Clubb rated it liked it
The book was about a girl who's name was Sarah, who lived in India Her mother died when she was very little. But then she had to go to school so her and her father left to go London to a school home for girls. She was told that her father had died (He was sick). She had to give her personal belongings to the women who was in charge of the school. Sarah was treated very badly and was forced to be a scullery maid.One a man from Indian moved in next door, He had a master who in the end turned out ...more
Meghana
I read this years ago. What a splendid tale it was; I spent hours daydreaming what life for me would be in little Sara's world. As I have begun the actual novel, I thought to comment on the abridged version.

UPDATE:

Now that I have completed the actual novel, I have some comments about this abridged version. It is designed for children to introduce them to a love of reading; I applaud that and that may have worked for me had I not already had a love of novels. I thought it to be a faithful adaptat
Winda Juliawati
Sep 06, 2016 Winda Juliawati rated it it was amazing
Even if it was a children book, I feel so drawn to it. It reminds me to be kind and thoughtful to others.
Christina
Dec 27, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
I know this version is not the "complete" book, but this particular book is very dear to my heart. I got it when I was little, and it took me practically a week to read (I was about 7, I think).

This book introduced me to the wonderful story, and I think it is one of the most underrated classics of all time. All young girls should read this book, because the message is a beautiful one for maturing young women.

Now that I am much older, I will be reading the entire classic in the near future.
Ayundabhuwana
Mar 17, 2009 Ayundabhuwana rated it really liked it
Sara Crew was left by her father in a school. She became the most famous girl in the school, because of her imagination and because she is very rich. She also finds herself friends.
But what happened to her when her father died? She became a maid and was filthy, dirty, skinny, and hopeless. But she never gave up, and always imagine things to be more wonderful. Then someone came to help her. Who is he and what will happen? Read it by yourself :)
Wonderful and fun story by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Ashley
Aug 29, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
Just finished this last night. It took a bit longer- we had to renew- but that was mostly because of company and school starting and craziness of schedules. I have never read the full book of this, but I thought they did a good job. Adalyn loved it, and it was fun to guess together what might happen to Sara. Connor chose not to listen to this one, and usually fell asleep or read other books while I read aloud. Next up is Robin Hood!
Rie Matsuda
Oct 14, 2012 Rie Matsuda rated it really liked it
IBC Level;2
2hours I'm reading now
7-word summary;India, British, girl, rich, bullied, kind, happy
Discussion Question
1.Have you ever lived without your parents for long time?
-Yes, but it was not long. In my case, it was just 1 mounth.
2.If your living condition was chanded, can you behave usual?
-Maybe I cannot be kind. Sometimes probably I will hard on someone.
Hannah
Dec 10, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
To be honest, I couldn't finish this book. I found it rather slow. I was looking forward to reading this book because I love the movie but this may be a rare occassion where I stick with the movie instead of the book. I can understand how it's a nice book but it just did not appeal to me.
Rachel
Oct 29, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Oh I loved this book as a youth. It was one of the first "big" books that I have ever read. It's one of those stories that you can read at different times in your life, and discover something new. It just stays with you.
Micky
Aug 10, 2016 Micky rated it it was amazing
This is y far one of my favourite books! It is a simple and light read yet it is able to inspire and engage me in the story so well. This book shows kids(especially young girls) that it is important to be kind and caring and creative. I just love the book so much!
1304jolie
Oct 07, 2013 1304jolie rated it it was amazing
I don't know if this is the right. Version, but I think i read the original non adapted one. It really enjoyed the book although it was written in an old fashioned way. It was very descriptive and sad. The movie starring liesel pritzker
was really good to...
Eglantine
Jan 23, 2012 Eglantine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so i read this book every year since about 5 years, just to remind myself of certain things. I may be nearly a teen but this book still manages to touch me. even though the vocabulary is very poor (obviously, it's for little kids) it's still a great short car ride read.
Greg
Aug 30, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
I'm using this book in a book club for some of my third grade students. It was a really quick read, It took me less than 2 hours to read the whole thing, and it's a beautiful story. Easy to see why it's a classic.
Irena Tjiunata
Feb 10, 2014 Irena Tjiunata rated it it was amazing
Ceritanya bagus. Tapi amaze aja ada anak seperti Sara yg benar2 baik. Saya aja waktu msh seumuran Sara suka ngambek kl gak dijinin beli mainan. Hehehehe. Udah nonton filmnya juga dan filmnya juga bagussss.
Rameen
Feb 12, 2014 Rameen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this is one of the best books i have ever read it only took me 2 and a half hours to finish this book it is page turning and its chapters end at cliff hangers even though they are not proper cliff hangers the last few words make you wonder what happens next!
Morgan
Jul 28, 2009 Morgan rated it liked it
A sweet and wholesome (if a bit predictable) book about a girl who has everything...loses it all and then gains it all back again. And all the while she is as sweet "as a princess". Teaches young girls to be nice no matter what their situation.
Bonnie
Oct 01, 2010 Bonnie rated it really liked it
These Classic Starts series books are the best! My kids 6 yrs and 8 yrs love reading them. They give them a great introduction to the classics and that era of writing style while not overwhelming them. I have really enjoyed them! What a great idea.
Ashley
Apr 29, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I always want to read classic books, but every time I start one I get bored rather quickly. This was short, sweet and all around a good adaption of a classic. I might look around for more classics from this series.
Realistic Fiction 1 2 Sep 20, 2015 08:54AM
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic Starts Series)
  • Heidi (Classic Starts Series)
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)
  • White Fang
  • The Secret Garden (Classic Starts Series)
  • Frankenstein (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Call of the Wild
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)

Classic Starts (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)
  • Animal Stories (Classic Starts Series)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Classic Start Series)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)