Start by marking “Tom Swift and His Airship” as Want to Read:
Tom Swift and His Airship

Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift #3)

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published January 11th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published January 1st 1910)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Swift and His Airship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Swift and His Airship

Jeff Carpenter
Aug 07, 2012 Jeff Carpenter is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tom-swift

This is the third book in the Tom Swift series and the third that I have read. Although I was quite the fan of the Hardy Boys and occasionally Nancy Drew, when I couldn't get my hands on a new Hardy Boys edition, I never read Tom Swift as a child. I knew of the Bobbsey Twins and I was vaguely familiar with the concept of the Stratemeyer Syndicate however I never ventured past the Hardy Boys. I wish I had discovered Tom Swift in my youth as I would have thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories.
Greg
Along with the Hardy Boys mystery series, the Bobbsey twins, and (yes, I'll admit it) even the occasional Nancy Drew mystery, Tom Swift was an early favorite of my youth. I started reading these books by the time I was in second grade, and enjoyed them until near the end of my elementary school years. I'm sure they would be quite dated by now, so I don't know that I can recommend them to today's youth, but I wish there had been something similar for my children...interesting books that demonstra ...more
David
This is a very interesting book. One of the Stratemeyer line of "boys' adventures" from the 1910s, it's a very straightforward and uncomplicated tale of the boy inventor teaming up with a balloonist to go on an aerial adventure. I was initially charmed by its simplistic style, although there are some troubling racial elements that don't stand the test of time.

Still, by the end I was disappointed that it wasn't more clever or interesting. The bad guys' plots are easily foiled -- and don't even i
Miles
Sep 09, 2010 Miles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I never got to read Tom Swift when I was younger. This was the first of his books that I've read. It's too bad that I didn't get there sooner, really, since I think the young inventor might have been one of my heroes. The writing is simple but charming. On the downside, Appleton's method of writing out almost unintelligible dialect for some characters is distracting and, in some cases, potentially offensive. Race relations were probably intended to be idealized (for the time period in which it w ...more
Rich Meyer
Jul 31, 2015 Rich Meyer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This one was almost too predictable, even for a boy's fiction tale. About the only interesting thing to happen was for Tom Swift's main rival to get his comeuppance not once but twice. I also have to say that having the same antagonists for three books in a row, and dullish bad guys at that, is just supremely lazy writing.

I haven't decided yet if I'll read the next in the series or skip ahead to a later tale, or to give a Ton Swift Jr. book a try...
Andrea
Jun 23, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish, 2013
Free sample Kindle edition included first two volumes and ended 75% through this one. Sneaky!

My older male friends who read these as kids loved them for the science-based adventure, and I agree on that point. I can usually find charm in dated material and try to take it in context, but something about the tone of this series rubbed me the wrong way with its daft or hysterical women and corn pone negro characters. It was insidious.
Bret
Jul 04, 2008 Bret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tom Swift books are great easy reading for older children, and I fondly remember working my way through the series as a youth. There's not a lot of substance in them, though; they tend to read like episodes of Jonny Quest, with the genius boy Tom Swift devising precisely the devise he needs to solve every problem.
Ted Iverson
Jan 17, 2011 Ted Iverson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was 11-12 and now reading it again I remembered why Victor Apppleton influnces my writing! Zach Bindl, one of my characters was loosely based on Tom! It is a great read and untouched to make it poltically correct. All YA should read the Tom Swift series!
Rex Libris
In this third installment of the original Tom Swift series Tom and the baloonist Sharp (whom we meet in the second installment) build an airship that is part airplane and part dirigible. It is used to apprehend bank robbers who pull a job for which Tom is blamed.
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Really good old classic young readers book about a young inventor that invents this awesome inventions and then goes on these wild and crazy adventures, sometimes getting into trouble in the process.
Michael
Jan 26, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't find the hardcover edition that I read, so this will have to do for now.
David Hibberd
Jun 09, 2012 David Hibberd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Tom Swift Sr. books as a child and again when I got my Kindle in 2010. They are an easy read and enjoyable. It is interesting to see how writing has changed since these books were written.
Rob Esposito
Rob Esposito rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Gale
Gale rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
Ron Johnson
Ron Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2010
Strongtree2
Strongtree2 rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2008
Darren Wiebe
Darren Wiebe rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Wilson E. Stevens Sr. rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Raina
Raina rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Anni
Anni rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2013
Roger Parkinson
Roger Parkinson rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Lj
Lj rated it it was ok
May 13, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2008
Andres Carter
Andres Carter rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
Nigel_s
Nigel_s rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Jurin Juran
Jurin Juran rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2009
Nelson
Nelson rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tom Swift and the Electronic Hydrolung  (Tom Swift Jr, #18)
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
  • Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames, #4)
  • The Sword Lord
  • The Adventures of Joel Pepper
  • In the Shadow of Babylon
  • Gulliver of Mars
  • Treasure Lost
  • L'Éclat d'obus
Victor Appleton was a house pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate and its successors, most famous for being associated with the Tom Swift series of books.

The character of Tom Swift was conceived in 1910 by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a book-packaging company. Stratemeyer invented the series to capitalize on the market for
More about Victor Appleton...

Tom Swift (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1)
  • Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2)
  • Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout, or, the Speediest Car on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #5)
  • Tom Swift and His Wireless Message: or, the castaways of Earthquake island (Tom Swift Sr, #6)
  • Tom Swift Among the Diamond Makers, or, the Secret of Phantom Mountain (Tom Swift Sr, #7)
  • Tom Swift in the Caves of Ice, or, the Wreck of the Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #8)
  • Tom Swift and His Sky Racer, or, the Quickest Flight on Record (Tom Swift Sr, #9)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)
  • Tom Swift in the City of Gold (Tom Swift Sr, #11)

“He depressed the rudder, and the Red Cloud shot earthward. Then, as the airship was turned about, the young inventor was allowed to try his hand at managing it. He said, afterward, that it was like guiding a fleecy cloud.” 0 likes