Start by marking “Marvel Boy” as Want to Read:
Marvel Boy

Marvel Boy

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  664 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"I'll fix the planet. My way!" - Noh-Varr

You know him as the defiant kid with the bad attitude from New Avengers: Illuminati and Secret Invasion - but before that, he was the sole survivor of an elite Kree force. A refugee of the super-spectrum, home to ten billion parallel realities, Noh-Varr fought side-by-side with his Kree compatriots with vigor and honor belying his y
Published October 8th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Boy

Dan Schwent
A Kree ship is shot down and Noh-Varr is the only surivor... and is quite pissed! Midas, the man who shot Noh-Varr down, pursues him for the Kree technology in his possession with all of his resources, including his daughter...

Back in the day, I read Wizard magazine (RIP) religiously, even when I wasn't reading comics anymore. Marvel Boy briefly dragged me out of one of my comic hiatuses. Was it worth it? Meh.

The Noh-Varr character was created as a throwback to the days when Namor the Sub-Marine
mark monday
Noh-Varr - Ensign Marvel - is a crewmember on board the 18th Kree Diplomatic Gestalt Interstellar Schooner, traveling back to their home world after a string of heroic interstellar feats of diplomacy that have made its crew heroes. unfortunately... disaster strikes! the crew must quickly navigate across millions of parallel realities until they finally manage to make it to our world - or at least our world according to Marvel comics. upon entry into our planet's airspace, the ship is quickly sho ...more
Aaron
Man oh man this was a fun read. I'm actually really surprised Marvel Boy doesn't come up more often when people talk about Grant Morrison's best work, because I really feel like this is one of my favorite stories of his I've ever read. It's solid, classic Morrison: incredibly huge ideas, chaos, rebellious teenage anarchists, "greater consciousness", all that jazz, but it's somehow very accessible this time.

Reading The Invisibles, Morrison's most critically-lauded series, makes you feel like you'
Unai
Menuda puta locura que es esto, pero quien bien te quedas después de leerlo. Y sirve para no perder detalle del evento Marvel del momento "Original Sin".
Muy loco todo, muy locas todas y muy muy disfrutable.
Mike
More mind-bending imagination from Grant Morrison. I find I really enjoy reading other authors - great dialogue or art - but Morrison consistently gives my brain an extra jolt of reality expansion. Makes me want to write as creatively and weirdly as he seems to always do.
Gavin
I like Noh-Varr. I like his anti-establishment idea, I like that he's a lone-wolf and that he goes after the guy (Midas) who killed his friends/mentors. I like the attack on Multi-National-Corporations from Grant Morrison. I liked Plex, the Green goo assistant/hive-mind of the Kree Empire that helped Noh-Varr on his mission.
Midas and his daughter were kinda stupid.

I would like to see more of him, and since this is a 14yr old book republished, I know I've already seen more of him (During Dark Rei
Ria
A colleague lent me this to give me a better understanding of what exactly is going on in Young Avengers. And I must admit I'm still a wee bit confused... not my favourite Marvel, thanks in part to an odd villain in Midas, and the oddity of his creeepy protectiveness of Oubliette who he dresses in fetish gear with her arse cheeks hanging out. Eh?! Maybe I shouldn't read graphic novels when I'm drunk. Certainly shouldn't review when I'm drunk. Oh well, feelings are real innit?!
Nicholas
Morrison is at his incomprehensible worst when any story involves the multiverse. Narrative cohesion breaks down and it's often difficult to follow what's going on from panel to panel. There's no sense of proper pacing with relatively minor events being dragged out over several panels while a dramatic turn of events transpires between panels leaving readers to stitch together implied meaning.

Marvel Boy is an interesting character to be sure and his zany adventures when arriving on earth have a
Marco
I may be the only person in the universe who thinks that Grant Morrison is completely overrated, but this book cemented my previous opinion.
While the book has a few good ideas, those are not really fleshed out, the characters stay flat despite a few interesting lines of dialogue. Basically this 6-part series consists of throw-away ideas and story seeds that don't really lead anywhere.
Also: What was the point of the crew being Kree from another universe? The Noh-Varr character could just as well
Jack Gattanella
Morrison loves his space pulp, as is clear from a reading of Supergods (and his chapter on this series, which was only six issues, is what made me want to check it out in the first place) But what makes it possibly a great minor work, or a good major work, is that he infuses what is the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters (and there's a sort of take off on that cleverly as two opponents fight and another makes it look like it's a film shoot to distract the onlookers) but with a history of stuff like ...more
Artur Coelho
Grant Morrison pega no venerando Capitão Marvel para uma renovação plástica e o resultado é este: um alienígena adolescente cujo adn mistura genes humanos e de insecto, mentalmente interligado com uma inteligência artificial consciente que habita aquilo que melhor pode ser descrito como uma gosma verde com rosto. Um vilão que se socorre das velhas armaduras do Homem de Ferro para ocultar o seu corpo deformado pela exposição intencional a raios cósmicos e que não olha a meios para atingir os seus ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Turn Grant Morrison loose, let him be as creative as he wants with a multiverse, and you're just about guaranteed to have a great book. That's what happened here, with the slick art of J. G. Jones just making it greater.
Morrison and Jones pillage Marvel's history for characters and ideas and make them wholly their own here to tell a tale of (totally justified) teenage anger at all of the worst corruptions of the world. I've never read this anywhere, nor heard Morrison saying it, but I have a fu
Chris Lemmerman
I know Grant Morrison has a very particular style of writing, and I tend to like most of what he does, but Marvel Boy is a very odd book. The basic idea is a good one, but it spends far too much time in the middle introducing weird, high concept ideas for villains instead of dealing with Noh-Varr himself, so that by the time all 6 issues are over, we know the same amount about Marvel Boy as we do at the beginning. Midas and Exterminatrix are also interesting characters, but again get neglected i ...more
Clare
Yet another example of Grant Morrison making me truly care about a character I didn't initially care for. That crazy Scot has a knack for plucking randoms from obscurity and making them interesting. I only wish I had more adventures of Noh-Varr and Oubliette the Exterminatrix to distract me from my studying!
Federiken Masters
Jan 20, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y de la joda
Recommended to Federiken by: La dupla creativa
Finalmente lo puedo leer en papel y en una edición de lo más bonita, aunque su portada no parece muy resistente. De todos modos, fue una compra de lo más acertada, donde se ve a un Morrison experimental hasta por ahí nomás pero con muchas ganas de divertirse, acompañado por el más que correcto Jones en los dibujos. Creo que no llega a las 4 estrellitas porque se queda medio tibio: ni es una joda absoluta ni es una historia de superhéroes sólida. Es una aventura medioespacial bastante entretenida ...more
Jdetrick
This is my favorite Grant Morrison; crazy cosmic concepts, but not so out there as to be impossible to understand. It's helped by the gorgeous J.G. Jones art. One of the best introductions for a new Marvel character that I've seen in decades.
rr
Jun 14, 2010 rr added it
While I do pick up a graphic novel from time to time, usually my interests don't lead me to works like Marvel Boy. But I've recently gotten interested in various versions of the Midas myth, and particularly ones written since 1852, when Hawthorne added the now-standard element of Midas' daughter to the story--and that interest led me to Marvel Boy. In Marvel Boy the antagonist is named Midas and he has a daughter. Midas has tried to turn his daughter into his ultimate weapon, but she has plans o ...more
Cristhian
De vez en cuando me gusta releer esta mini serie para recordar de donde salieron varias ideas que hasta hoy día Grant Morrison sigue expandiendo. ¿Lo mejor? Hexus

Y todo lo que involucraba a Midas.
Todd
This is just ridiculous good fun.

I read a piece that called Noh-Varr "Marvel's first pin-up boy" and it's a perfect description. I can't get enough.
Wt
This was an excellent start to the Ultimate universse for Marvel, even if we didn't know that is what it was.
Making the story very emotional and exciting, Grant Morrison showed us that good writing at Marvel hadn't died! This was the late 90's and at point, Spider-Clones and Iron Man being reduced to a teenager had ruined people's faith in the system.
Then came this masterpiece and suddenly, Marvel was relevant again!
And the art was another stroke of genius!!
Seriously, this is a must read for com
Marcela
This was painfully bad.
Iain
Morrison and Jones do a cracked view of the Superman myth, only with Superman replaced with a pissed off alien juvenile delinquent.

Also a homage to Kirby and the Marvel Cosmology, which enables Morrison to indulge in his love of wacky concepts which nonetheless fail to be any more then window dressing - the NuMarvel equivalent of Kirby Krackle.

Must have been one of the last projects where Morrison could play with his punk persona before he settled down into being another corporate apologist.
Ming Siu
Lots of interesting ideas in here, but they weren't developed very much at all, making it rather incoherent. I loved loved loved the concept of a malevolent living corporation (but that was over within an issue!). It feels like it's got years of story ideas all crammed within a miniseries.
Koen Claeys
A friend of mine gave this book to me. I'm very glad he did. This is not the best Morrison-book I've read but it certainly is an excellent comic with the cool dialogue and smart writing that Morrison is known for, accompanied by beautiful art... Looking back, this is one of the books that marked a new beginning for Marvel after nearly going financially and creatively bankrupt at the end of the nineties.
Chris
The book that was, wasn't, might be and then not the beginning of the Ultimate Universe. Really great read and it is a shame that Morison never followed up with the next two books. The other shame is that this would have been the best Ultimate Marvel book had they decided to go that route.
Trey Jackson
I liked reading comics that were dense enough that a single issue didn't take three minutes to read. I enjoyed this book far more than I expected, the insane concepts (like Hexus, the Living Corporation) are fun and well done.
Judd Karlman
I am really looking forward to re-reading this; I haven't read it since the single issues. When I saw that Marvel was making one of their big and purty hardcovers for it, I pre-ordered on Amazon right away.
Malia
This character is a d-bag. I really don't like him and it's not good if I feel no sympathy for the main character and wish him dead so I'm done with this series. Morrison has done better.
Sonic
Fun stuff! Grant Morrison is indeed one of the rock-stars of the comics genre with his ever far-reaching imagination. The art in this book by J.G. Jones is definitely first rate!
James
Jan 29, 2009 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to read something good by Grant Morrison.
After tons of horrible overrated drivel for DC, this book reminds me of why I once loved Morrison. A highly imaginitive and fresh story from the scribe.
  • Supreme: The Story of the Year
  • Absolute Planetary Book Two
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 1
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)
  • The Order Vol. 1: The Next Right Thing (Trade Paperback)
  • Squadron Supreme
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • Sleeper Season Two
  • Essential Fantastic Four, Vol. 3
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2: Death of a Dream
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 We3 All-Star Superman, Vol. 2 Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn