Start by marking “Marvel Boy” as Want to Read:
Marvel Boy

Marvel Boy

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  733 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
"I'll fix the planet. My way!" - Noh-Varr

You know him as the defiant kid with the bad attitude from New Avengers: Illuminati and Secret Invasion - but before that, he was the sole survivor of an elite Kree force. A refugee of the super-spectrum, home to ten billion parallel realities, Noh-Varr fought side-by-side with his Kree compatriots with vigor and honor belying his y
Published October 8th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Boy

Dan Schwent
Oct 02, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A Kree ship is shot down and Noh-Varr is the only surivor... and is quite pissed! Midas, the man who shot Noh-Varr down, pursues him for the Kree technology in his possession with all of his resources, including his daughter...

Back in the day, I read Wizard magazine (RIP) religiously, even when I wasn't reading comics anymore. Marvel Boy briefly dragged me out of one of my comic hiatuses. Was it worth it? Meh.

The Noh-Varr character was created as a throwback to the days when Namor the Sub-Marine
mark monday
Jan 22, 2016 mark monday rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comikon
Noh-Varr - Ensign Marvel - is a crewmember on board the 18th Kree Diplomatic Gestalt Interstellar Schooner, traveling back to their home world after a string of heroic interstellar feats of diplomacy that have made its crew heroes. unfortunately... disaster strikes! the crew must quickly navigate across millions of parallel realities until they finally manage to make it to our world - or at least our world according to Marvel comics. upon entry into our planet's airspace, the ship is quickly sho ...more
Aaron
May 03, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Man oh man this was a fun read. I'm actually really surprised Marvel Boy doesn't come up more often when people talk about Grant Morrison's best work, because I really feel like this is one of my favorite stories of his I've ever read. It's solid, classic Morrison: incredibly huge ideas, chaos, rebellious teenage anarchists, "greater consciousness", all that jazz, but it's somehow very accessible this time.

Reading The Invisibles, Morrison's most critically-lauded series, makes you feel like you'
Mike
Jun 24, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More mind-bending imagination from Grant Morrison. I find I really enjoy reading other authors - great dialogue or art - but Morrison consistently gives my brain an extra jolt of reality expansion. Makes me want to write as creatively and weirdly as he seems to always do.
Gavin
Sep 29, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I like Noh-Varr. I like his anti-establishment idea, I like that he's a lone-wolf and that he goes after the guy (Midas) who killed his friends/mentors. I like the attack on Multi-National-Corporations from Grant Morrison. I liked Plex, the Green goo assistant/hive-mind of the Kree Empire that helped Noh-Varr on his mission.
Midas and his daughter were kinda stupid.

I would like to see more of him, and since this is a 14yr old book republished, I know I've already seen more of him (During Dark Rei
Unai
May 22, 2014 Unai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Menuda puta locura que es esto, pero quien bien te quedas después de leerlo. Y sirve para no perder detalle del evento Marvel del momento "Original Sin".
Muy loco todo, muy locas todas y muy muy disfrutable.
Tony Laplume
Sep 30, 2015 Tony Laplume rated it really liked it
Arguably the most distinctive work of Morrison's brief run with Marvel, this is also a clear prelude to what he'd be doing once he returned to the DC fold.

From Seven Soldiers of Victory to All Star Superman to the Damian Wayne version of Robin featured in his extended Batman work, Morrison had a lot of that material on his mind when he envisioned Marvel Boy, which is about as unfettered as he could get at Marvel. Famously, he stretched his New X-Men so far, Marvel ended up snapping much of it ba
Ria
A colleague lent me this to give me a better understanding of what exactly is going on in Young Avengers. And I must admit I'm still a wee bit confused... not my favourite Marvel, thanks in part to an odd villain in Midas, and the oddity of his creeepy protectiveness of Oubliette who he dresses in fetish gear with her arse cheeks hanging out. Eh?! Maybe I shouldn't read graphic novels when I'm drunk. Certainly shouldn't review when I'm drunk. Oh well, feelings are real innit?!
Nicholas
Nov 10, 2014 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-marvel
Morrison is at his incomprehensible worst when any story involves the multiverse. Narrative cohesion breaks down and it's often difficult to follow what's going on from panel to panel. There's no sense of proper pacing with relatively minor events being dragged out over several panels while a dramatic turn of events transpires between panels leaving readers to stitch together implied meaning.

Marvel Boy is an interesting character to be sure and his zany adventures when arriving on earth have a
Etienne
Apr 21, 2016 Etienne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Grant Morrison's mind is chock full of gloriously weird ideas; I'm not sure why he sometimes feels compelled to dress them in form-fitting black leather. I can't tell what the femme fatale deuteragonist is meant to parody, but when a caricature is functionally indistinguishable from every other underdressed antiheroine, it doesn't make for particularly trenchant criticism.

J.G. Jones is in excellent form and has a great eye for cinematic layouts. Indeed, there is plenty to love here---that is, if
Marco
Nov 23, 2014 Marco rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I may be the only person in the universe who thinks that Grant Morrison is completely overrated, but this book cemented my previous opinion.
While the book has a few good ideas, those are not really fleshed out, the characters stay flat despite a few interesting lines of dialogue. Basically this 6-part series consists of throw-away ideas and story seeds that don't really lead anywhere.
Also: What was the point of the crew being Kree from another universe? The Noh-Varr character could just as well
Jack Gattanella
Jul 25, 2014 Jack Gattanella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-books
Morrison loves his space pulp, as is clear from a reading of Supergods (and his chapter on this series, which was only six issues, is what made me want to check it out in the first place) But what makes it possibly a great minor work, or a good major work, is that he infuses what is the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters (and there's a sort of take off on that cleverly as two opponents fight and another makes it look like it's a film shoot to distract the onlookers) but with a history of stuff like ...more
Artur Coelho
Aug 25, 2013 Artur Coelho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grant Morrison pega no venerando Capitão Marvel para uma renovação plástica e o resultado é este: um alienígena adolescente cujo adn mistura genes humanos e de insecto, mentalmente interligado com uma inteligência artificial consciente que habita aquilo que melhor pode ser descrito como uma gosma verde com rosto. Um vilão que se socorre das velhas armaduras do Homem de Ferro para ocultar o seu corpo deformado pela exposição intencional a raios cósmicos e que não olha a meios para atingir os seus ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Jan 13, 2013 Jean-Pierre Vidrine rated it really liked it
Turn Grant Morrison loose, let him be as creative as he wants with a multiverse, and you're just about guaranteed to have a great book. That's what happened here, with the slick art of J. G. Jones just making it greater.
Morrison and Jones pillage Marvel's history for characters and ideas and make them wholly their own here to tell a tale of (totally justified) teenage anger at all of the worst corruptions of the world. I've never read this anywhere, nor heard Morrison saying it, but I have a fu
B
Sep 15, 2015 B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
It was kind of interesting.

What made no sense was an attempt to integrate it with the Marvel Universe. This is a good "alternate" story about a universe that is vaguely like the Marvel Universe. Well, I don't know that the story came together. But the inventiveness of the main protagonists and antagonists are somewhat interesting.

Additionally, Hexus and the teased Marvel Boy 2:001 also are attention-getting.
Chris Lemmerman
I know Grant Morrison has a very particular style of writing, and I tend to like most of what he does, but Marvel Boy is a very odd book. The basic idea is a good one, but it spends far too much time in the middle introducing weird, high concept ideas for villains instead of dealing with Noh-Varr himself, so that by the time all 6 issues are over, we know the same amount about Marvel Boy as we do at the beginning. Midas and Exterminatrix are also interesting characters, but again get neglected i ...more
Clare
Jul 25, 2014 Clare rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Yet another example of Grant Morrison making me truly care about a character I didn't initially care for. That crazy Scot has a knack for plucking randoms from obscurity and making them interesting. I only wish I had more adventures of Noh-Varr and Oubliette the Exterminatrix to distract me from my studying!
Lee Vernon
A surprisingly entertaining read and sums up for me how a cosmic comic should pan out. Que alien super human fighting ridiculous villain and cutting a swathe of chaos through Manhattan. Wasn't much in the way of characters or really even plot, but was a lot of fun!
Federiken Masters
Jan 20, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y de la joda
Recommended to Federiken by: La dupla creativa
Finalmente lo puedo leer en papel y en una edición de lo más bonita, aunque su portada no parece muy resistente. De todos modos, fue una compra de lo más acertada, donde se ve a un Morrison experimental hasta por ahí nomás pero con muchas ganas de divertirse, acompañado por el más que correcto Jones en los dibujos. Creo que no llega a las 4 estrellitas porque se queda medio tibio: ni es una joda absoluta ni es una historia de superhéroes sólida. Es una aventura medioespacial bastante entretenida ...more
rr
Jun 14, 2010 rr added it
While I do pick up a graphic novel from time to time, usually my interests don't lead me to works like Marvel Boy. But I've recently gotten interested in various versions of the Midas myth, and particularly ones written since 1852, when Hawthorne added the now-standard element of Midas' daughter to the story--and that interest led me to Marvel Boy. In Marvel Boy the antagonist is named Midas and he has a daughter. Midas has tried to turn his daughter into his ultimate weapon, but she has plans o ...more
Cristhian
Apr 28, 2015 Cristhian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De vez en cuando me gusta releer esta mini serie para recordar de donde salieron varias ideas que hasta hoy día Grant Morrison sigue expandiendo. ¿Lo mejor? Hexus

Y todo lo que involucraba a Midas.
Todd
This is just ridiculous good fun.

I read a piece that called Noh-Varr "Marvel's first pin-up boy" and it's a perfect description. I can't get enough.
Imbyr Unfortunately
I picked this up 8 years ago and have tried so many times to read it but gosh I have zero interest in superhero narratives at all.
Gary
Mar 24, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Very unusual. Of course Grant Morrison keeps you guessing the whole time. There are some very unusual elements in this story.
Wt
Jan 09, 2012 Wt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent start to the Ultimate universse for Marvel, even if we didn't know that is what it was.
Making the story very emotional and exciting, Grant Morrison showed us that good writing at Marvel hadn't died! This was the late 90's and at point, Spider-Clones and Iron Man being reduced to a teenager had ruined people's faith in the system.
Then came this masterpiece and suddenly, Marvel was relevant again!
And the art was another stroke of genius!!
Seriously, this is a must read for com
Marcela
Apr 12, 2015 Marcela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gns-or-comics
This was painfully bad.
Iain
Oct 20, 2013 Iain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morrison and Jones do a cracked view of the Superman myth, only with Superman replaced with a pissed off alien juvenile delinquent.

Also a homage to Kirby and the Marvel Cosmology, which enables Morrison to indulge in his love of wacky concepts which nonetheless fail to be any more then window dressing - the NuMarvel equivalent of Kirby Krackle.

Must have been one of the last projects where Morrison could play with his punk persona before he settled down into being another corporate apologist.
Masanobu
Marvel Boy is what it says on the tin: the ultimate white male teenage power fantasy.

I had been led to believe Grant Morrison could write comics. Specifically, controversial and culturally-relevant comics. Well, this is complete bullshit.

Know who does write interesting social criticism disguised as superhero romp? Alan Moore. But then again, if you enjoyed Marvel Boy there's a high chance you'll think Rorschach is a role model.
Ming Siu
Dec 31, 2013 Ming Siu rated it it was ok
Lots of interesting ideas in here, but they weren't developed very much at all, making it rather incoherent. I loved loved loved the concept of a malevolent living corporation (but that was over within an issue!). It feels like it's got years of story ideas all crammed within a miniseries.
Koen Claeys
Dec 29, 2012 Koen Claeys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine gave this book to me. I'm very glad he did. This is not the best Morrison-book I've read but it certainly is an excellent comic with the cool dialogue and smart writing that Morrison is known for, accompanied by beautiful art... Looking back, this is one of the books that marked a new beginning for Marvel after nearly going financially and creatively bankrupt at the end of the nineties.
  • StormWatch, Vol. 4: A Finer World
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 4: Gorilla Warfare
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2
  • Sleeper Season Two
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #1)
  • Xombi
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...