Start by marking “Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)

Mort (Discworld #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  95,540 ratings  ·  1,924 reviews
Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death'
Published February 6th 2001 by HarperTorch (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Mort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mort

Night Watch by Terry PratchettGoing Postal by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettSmall Gods by Terry PratchettMort by Terry Pratchett
The Best of Discworld!
5th out of 47 books — 700 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
22nd out of 2,932 books — 5,630 voters

More lists with this book...

Lyn
I have a new best friend. Literarily speaking.

It’s as though I met Terry Pratchett at a party and we hit it off immediately. You like Monty Python, I LOVE Monty Python! Seinfeld, WHAT???, I’ve seen them all “Art Vandelay, nice to meet you.” No way! What about The Big Lebowsky? “How’s the smut business, Jackie?” To which he replied, “I wouldn’t know, Dude.”

Ha!

And so it is with me reading my first Discworld novel, in this case Mort (#4 on the list). Discworld is Terry Pratchett’s hilarious fantasy
Forrest
In a previous review of Pratchett's The Color of Magic, I speculated that I might have become jaded since high school. I noted that I enjoyed that book, but it was not as hilarious as I had remembered it, initially. There will be no such danger with Mort, meaning, I probably won't be re-reading it. Again, this one was funny, but not hilarious, and more cutesy than clever.

Still, it has its moments, the best of which, I thought, was the interchange between the Sun Emperor and his Grand Vizier, a g
Tfitoby
"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.”

With those simple words Terry Pratchett introduces the complicated fact that on The Disc Death is as much a person as anyone else, only more so.

The fourth Discworld novel is right up there with my favourites, the story of how Death came to take an apprentice and how one gangly, awkward young boy became a strong, confident man is filled with humour and tells the kind of coming of age tale other authors only dream of.

It may not be the best writt
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the Discworld series as different from Equal Rites as that book was from the first two.

Full Review
I never expected to marathon the discworld books, but this now makes the third in a row I've read.

This book is the first of the Death books. Death plays a much larger role than he has in the previous books, but for the most part it focuses on his apprentice, Mort.

I found it started a bit slow, and I was pretty indifferent towards Mort. He grew on me by the
Gary
Excellent and fun

I just love the characters this author comes up with. Death is a great ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION and Mort, the human he selects as his apprentice, is the perfect replacement. Sort of.
Mort has a hard time filling in for Death when he needs a day off. At least he does once a girl gets involved. There is romance in this as well, sort of. Apparently, not completing the job Death is meant to do has some pretty serious consequences that even a cameo appearance by Rincewind may n
Manny
This review contains major spoilers for the movie Pusher 3

The central joke in Mort is that Death is basically, you know, just a guy doing a job. The other day, I thought of Terry Pratchett's novel for the first time in ages when we saw I'm The Angel of Death , Nicolas Winding Refn's brilliant conclusion to the Pusher trilogy. In the first two movies, we've had several brief encounters with the terrifying Milo, a Serbian kingpin in Copenhagen's underworld. The first film ends with him and his as
Allison
So Terry Pratchett is definitely witty and clever, and I do enjoy his asides when I forget I'm searching for a story in the midst of it. The thing is, each of the three Discworld books I've completed so far took me some effort to get into in spite of appreciating the humor. Because the characters remain caricatures as the humor takes center stage. And I actually find it kind of boring.

It's not until late in each book that I started to be interested in what was actually happening. And the charact
David Sarkies
Apr 02, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who loves a good laugh
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Death takes on an apprentice
14 August 2012

Well, while I suggested that Equal Rites must have been Pratchett's make or break book, I did not expect the brilliance of this book. After picking myself off the floor after laughing so much at some of the absolutely off the wall humour, I must say that, to put it bluntly, Terry Pratchett attempted to send the fantasy genre into a completely different direction, and succeeded.

Basically Death has become board, and lonely, with his job, and wants to fin
Alexander Páez
Me arrepiento de no haber leído este libro de adolescente, me hubiera marcado profundamente.
Jokoloyo
I "made a mistake" in my life by reading later works of Discworld (DW). By the time I read earliest Discworld stories, the universe feels not fully developed.

Mort is the fourth DW novel, and I see the DW universe, the jokes, and the characters are better developed than the 3 earlier novels (but still not as sophisticated as DW later works). But, there are some good moments: the awkwardness of young people in this novel, and the Death's learning of life.

People including Mort as the first in Deat
Anders
Mort is the fourth novel in the Discworld series. Like the other novels in the series it is witty, clever and quite a bit absurd. It is not dark and gritty like some of the other really great fantasy out there, but it's not supposed to be.

The story follows Mort. A young and fairly simple farm boy, who has to go to town to find a job. At the market everyone else in the job line gets a job, even a wall-eyed young man with a stoop and a running nose, but Mort who stays put until midnight has had n
Nic
The only other Discworld books I'd read were the Tiffany Aching sequence - The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith - and I was eager to try others. With those books, I found the humor hilarious and the worldbuilding excellent, but Tiffany a little obnoxious, mostly because she seemed too mature for her age, which ranges from nine to thirteen in the books.

A few writing-style trends that I found continuing here: Pratchett can be a tiny bit repetitive, especially on really good details
Celise
“He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe. Which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.”

Parts of the story got a little muddled somewhere between the ending and the middle, but as usual the humour and the absurd characters are what brought everything around. Mort and Death are a duo that are quite enjoyable, of course with the addition of Death's noble steed, Binky. Death being the serious, completely terrifying guy who asks questions like "WHY IS THERE A
Miquel Codony
Me gusta mucho que Pratchett recurre al humor sin renunciar a nada. O sea, que no es una mera serie de gags al servicio del chiste, sino una novela con todos sus ingredientes: sus personajes bien construidos, su trama compleja, una imaginación más rica y original que en la gran mayoría de lo que ves por ahí... en definitiva, que el humor se convierte en una puerta que le permite acceder a recursos para explicar mejor su historia, no en una excusa que justifique atajos narrativos.

Maravilloso.
Alex
Mar 23, 2015 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed this. I thought the humor worked; it didn't try too hard and there were some clever moments. It's a smart book. I'm often annoyed by funny people; I strongly dislike Christopher Lamb, who also wrote a "funny" book set in a castle, and Doug Adams doesn't really work for me anymore. So I went into this without high hopes - but it was cool, man, I dug it. The ending wasn't as satisfying as I was hoping it'd be, but it worked okay.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Absolutely brilliant writing, seriously, easily some of the best writing I've ever read and it had me giggling and laughing from beginning to end. I didn't connect with the characters as much as I'd have though with this level of writing, but I enjoyed the read nevertheless.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/110865...
Πέτρος
This is the fourth book of the series, which now delves into the realm of Death… while being depressed. The poor fellow seems to have lost his meaning in life (or death, or whatever) and for that reason he seeks a change of pace by looking for someone to replace him, while he tries to find meaning in life. That is why he picks Mort, a boy who doesn’t seem to be good at anything and ends up being his only option as all the others were already hired. Plus him tripping and the boy being kind enough ...more
Olga Godim
I heard many praises of this book here on GR, and the book didn’t disappoint me. Although it was my first Terry Pratchett, it won’t be the last.
What is this book about? Ah, here comes the hard part. Whatever definition I come up with, this little novel is more. Is it about a simple country lad Mort becoming an apprentice to Death, and how the experience changed him? Yes, certainly, but not only that. Is it about Death longing to understand human emotions? Yes, sure, but that is just one small a
Jesse Broussard
Two things to note. First, I'm sorry Terry, I've resisted you too long. Second, if you giggle like a girl, and you are, in fact, not a girl, it can be rather uncomfortable to do so in a library full of huge hairy smelly unwashed homeless people that know where you sleep and carry pipe wrenches in leather holsters on their hips.

This book was just straight funny. Pratchett has a Wodehousian turn of phrase, and I caught both a line from Mortimer and a philosophy from Lewis, who of course published
Algernon
By far, one of the finest of all the DiscWorld novels, with a story that stands on its own feet and requires no previous knowledge of the DiscWorld's history and characters. Funny, sweet, and a pleasure from beginning to end.
Stephen
3.0 stars. A good book, but seems to have lost a little of of the magic of the first two books which were excellent.
Glimmerfee
Wenn TOD einen Lehrling einstellt, müssen sich die Sterbenden auf der Scheibenwelt auf einiges gefasst machen. Azubi Mort bringt nicht nur den Lauf der Dinge durcheinander, sondern auch das Heim von TOD. Hexen, Könige und Normalos sterben aber kann man einer bildschönen Prinzessin so einfach den Silberfaden durchtrennen?

Dies ist der erste Band des TOD-Zyklus und wer Freude an schwarzem Humor hat, sollte sich nicht um dieses Lesevergnügen bringen. Terry Pratchett ist ein Meister der schlauen Ansp
Simcha Wood
With Mort, the fourth book in his Discworld series, Terry Pratchett is finally beginning to settle into the form that makes it so worth the time to read this series.

As with the previous book, Equal Rites, Mort departs from the previous books in the series, introducing new themes and new lead characteres. Death, who has played bit roles in the previous books, appears here in a leading role. Oddly, it is by dint of Death's portrayal as a deliberately stereotyped anthropomorphic personification of
Bookworm Smith
Mort is a simple country bumpkin who has reached the age where he should find a career. Lucky for him he is chosen for an apprenticeship. Unfortunately, it's with Death.

Without saying, this book is full of dark humour, mostly surrounding Death. It's a light hearted, yet deep view, of Death's job. About how Death feels about his job. About how Death has a mid life career crisis and goes off looking for something different. There are a few side stories, the apprentice learning the ropes of the dea
Harold Ogle
Mort is another Discworld novel. Pratchett has been writing these for many years, and over time he has developed a number of favorite characters that he returns to again and again, to the point that many of the books can be categorized as a book "about" one or the other character. Mort is the first of the "Death" books, in that it fleshes out the character of the Grim Reaper and his supporting cast. In developing the character of Death in the Discworld novels, Pratchett was following an 80s tren ...more
Althea Ann
As always, Pratchett's Discworld novels are unfailingly entertaining. In Mort, Pratchett introduces his personification of Death. However, the familiar hooded, skeletal figure with a sickle is getting kind of bored with rushing about from deathbed to murder scene... The solution? To take on an apprentice. Mort is an awkward, clumsy farmer's son, whose inconvenient habit of asking questions has made him more in-the-way than not at home – and he's had no luck finding a position elsewhere. So when ...more
RuthAnn
This was so gosh-darn funny. I made an idiot of myself laughing out loud while reading this at the gym. The best line for me, hands-down, was ""I meant, what goes there?" the guard tried again, with a mixture of doggedness and suicidal stupidity that marked him for early promotion."

Hah! I love it!

If you'd like a quick, hilarious read, pick up this little gem. And I will pick up another Discworld novel.
Matthew Hunter
It's easy to underestimate Pratchett, I think. He wraps meaningful social and philosophical commentary in his brand of irreverent humor. This time, the main protagonists are DEATH (HE TALKS IN ALL CAPS), and gawky teen Mort. I'm not sure I'd want to be chosen as Death's apprentice, but the opportunity to learn more about the workings of the Cosmos would be intriguing as heck.

With lines from Death/Mort like "There's no justice, there's just us.", Pratchett makes a statement. Death's the great equ
Jamie
I wrote last week about how Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites was a bit of a letdown. Fortunately I didn't let that slow me up and went right into Mort, which is considered by many to be one of his better Diskworld books. Much like Equal Rites, Mort deals with the subject of apprenticeship, but it does it in a fairly different way. The eponymous character, Mort, is a clumsy but earnest young lad who is unsuited for just about any job his well meaning father can find for him. At a hiring fair, Mort's ...more
Latvija: * Ārzemju Aprīlis 2015: Mort 1 29 Apr 01, 2015 01:01AM
Terry Pratchett Fans: Group Read: Mort 56 26 Mar 25, 2015 01:43PM
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • The Dirk Gently Omnibus
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6) Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)

20 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said. "Have you thought of going into teaching?” 1137 likes
“He'd been wrong, there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower.” 866 likes