Start by marking “Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)

Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,664 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Mercer Mayer's Little Critter is inviting his best friend over to play in this classic, funny, and heartwarming book. Whether these buddies are climbing trees, playing basketball, or riding bikes, both parents and children alike will relate to this beloved story. A perfect way to teach children about being a good friend!
Published March 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just My Friend and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just My Friend and Me

Oscar
Oct 21, 2013 Oscar rated it really liked it
One of the things that I love about the Little Critter series is that the illustrations often reveal more of the story than the text does (not to mention they are charming unto themselves with sketchy lines, soft colours, memorable character designs, and background details that are fun to discover on subsequent read throughs). In "Just My Friend and Me," it creates an interesting juxtaposition between Little Critter's perceptions of his friend's behaviour and what the reality is (which is that h ...more
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This book details a typical visit with a friend, and the havoc two children can wreak.

Little Critter puts it that he always has fun with his friend, but by the end of the day he's glad to be alone, a true sentiment if I ever heard one.

One thing to note is how the illustrations and the text don't always add up, a good introduction to the concept of an unreliable narrator :)
Jordan Sanchez
Oct 08, 2014 Jordan Sanchez rated it liked it
The book Just My Friend and Me is about Little Critter having a friend over for the day at his house. Once his friend arrives the book then precedes to show the many different activities that they go through in the day. These activities include outside and indoor activities. I feel this book does a great job of showing how a friendship works when you are younger. It teaches children to play with others and to share their toys and to be active.
I feel the book does have a major downfall though. D
Demilyn Odango
Jun 05, 2014 Demilyn Odango rated it liked it
Shelves: literacy
(2001)
Summary: Little Critter decides that he want to have a friends over. While they play, his friend seems to bully him, but Little Critter think its okay by blaming himself. He wants to be optimistic about having a friend over, but his friend seems to keep getting worse and worse. Finally, his friend leaves and he sees that being alone is okay too.

Evaluation: I believe that this story is for late emergent readers. Most of the pages have two lines. They also have transitional words. Most of th
Robert Beveridge
Nov 17, 2014 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Mercer Mayer, Just My Friend and Me (Golden Press, 1988)

This entry in the seemingly-neverending Little Critter series tackles some tough issues in a way that makes me want to see what Mayer would do with this material given the space for a young adult novel. Critter has a friend over to play, and the friend turns out to be not terribly friendlike (though whether the kid is malicious or just a complete solipsist is left up to the reader's interpretation, and ends up being a very interesting quest
Marjorie Estavillo
Sep 05, 2012 Marjorie Estavillo rated it really liked it
I love reading all the books in the Little Critter Series by Mercer Mayer’s! I feel that all these books deal with issues that are relatable to young children. In the book Just My Friend And Me, the little critter is super excited to have his friend come over and spend the day with him. They have a blast doing different activities throughout the day, playing baseball, jumping rope, and climbing trees. A few bumps and bruises later they are beat and it is time for his friend to go home. After his ...more
Whitney Scott
Jan 30, 2016 Whitney Scott rated it liked it
In this story, Little Critter doesn't want to play alone, so he invites over a friend. He then lists all the things he and his friend do together. As the list goes on it seems that spending time with just his friend isn't quite as great as he hoped it would be. By the end of the story, he realizes that it's not so bad to play alone.

I this is a very cute book. I like how it is written from the young child's perspective. I think it's very neat how the reader can see Little Critter's emotions illu
Sydnie Lambeth
Feb 22, 2016 Sydnie Lambeth added it
Shelves: edrd314
As a child I always thought this book was hilarious. It is all about how the main character wants to have his friend over to play because it's no fun to play alone, but his friend one-ups him or ruins something of his in everything they decide to do together. His friend runs his race car into the water, doesn't help clean up the toys and breaks his swing. He also hits the baseball and won't go get it, climbs higher in the tree and takes away the ladder to get into the tree house. I thought it wa ...more
Jessica Freeman
This book shows the ups and downs of friendship, which I think can be extremely important to show children that problems and conflicts do arise but they can be overcome. The illustrations are fun and a bit cluttered, much like Little Critter's life tends to be. Mercer Mayer has a long list of Little Critter book allowing your little readers to continue with these fun and entertaining stories for quite some time!

Ill: ink, water color
Sa Ho
In the story, Little Critter invites friend over to play. He wants to build a good relationship between him and his friend, so he shares his time and toys with his friend. He likes to spend his time with his friends but sometimes it is great just to be all alone.
A message that I inferred from the story is that good friendships can help them advance in their academic ability and overcome these hardships in life.
Rosa Cline
Jul 22, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Mercer Mayer does a fabulous job with his Little Critter books. My 3 year old granddaughter and I always enjoy them. Some of them (like this one) is basic but not to basic that it doesn't tell a story. And the illustrations are wonderful that goes with the story. This one is about friendships and all the things you do together with your friend. But at the end of the day you know it's okay to be by yourself sometimes too.
Margaux
Sep 08, 2014 Margaux rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'll be the first to admit that this is a biased review. But that's bound to happen when this is my personal account. So there.

I hate Mercer Mayer. I know that some kids love him, and that's just dandy. But I don't and I find the illustrations tacky and outdated. Also what the heck are these creatures? Are they koala bears? If so, why are they not gray?

I'll be using this in my "Me and my..." storytime. Yippee.
Molly Robbins
I have always loved the little critter books. Children love to read them so as a teacher I would love to integrate this into a reading/writing and/or math lesson. It focuses on ordinal numbers so this would be great practice for the young ones counting. There is great reinforcement of the importance of sharing throughout this book as well so you could incorporate character building into the lesson and have the students give you feedback, or they could write about it.
Chelsea
Feb 22, 2012 Chelsea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, friendship
Little Critter has a friend over. They do lots of things together...and a lot of things go wrong. He doesn't seem to notice, though. He tries to keep up with his friend. By the end of the day, he is tired from playing and trying to keep up with his friend and realizes it's nice to be alone, too.
Gala
Feb 04, 2012 Gala rated it it was amazing
This critter does not like doing anything by himself but who does. He enjoys his friend coming over to spend the day with him.His friend may be a little more advance than he is but he keeps a positive attitude.This is such a cute story. When the critter's friend gets hurt he is more concerned about his bike.
Brent Rogers
Apr 26, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it
Shelves: beginners, animals
Little Critter calls his friend and they play together. They climb a tree, play basketball, ride a bike, and his friend gets hurt. This book is good for learning about different activities to do with friends.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
Is about abear who asked his mom if his friends could come over and play with him. He starts to talk about the many things they could do like, climbing trees, playing in the tree house, hide and seek, play basketball, swing, ride a bike, and then go home.
April
Feb 09, 2013 April rated it really liked it
In this cute children's book, Little Critter has his friend over to play. Little critter soon realizes that when you have a guest over, you have to defer to them somewhat and sees his friend as taking advantage of being the guest.
Kelsey
Oct 11, 2009 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Little Critter has a friend over to play and soon discovers that sometimes playing alone is not so bad. His friend breaks his bike on accident, leaves him in the tree house without a ladder to get down and then doesn’t help him clean up his room before he leaves.
Gregory Mckinley
Oct 11, 2016 Gregory Mckinley rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 stars because I think I like that book he had good friend only play basketball, baseball, and everything that so much fun he want challenge him for jump rope that contest that why I reason I love that story.
Hope Johnson
Apr 08, 2011 Hope Johnson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: community
This book teaches how to be a good friend and be fair to your friends. You can discuss if Critter's friend is fair to him throughout the book. It also teaches children that it is okay to be alone sometimes, you do not always have to have your friends around.
Jan 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendship
This is a good story about friends learning how to play together. It also promotes playing outdoors and reading comic books. At the end of the play day we also learn that it is sometimes ok to be alone.
Tammy  King Carlton
Feb 05, 2008 Tammy King Carlton rated it it was amazing
Rebekah was having a hard time playing nicely with friends, and this book actually helped her to understand that playdates aren't perfect, but we still like them and need them.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children.
Dmills
Apr 25, 2016 Dmills added it
Shelves: little-critters
Another book about friendship. I think it is important for children to understand how to handle problems with their friends and why having friends is important.
Deborah Harris
Dec 23, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-1, a17
AR Quiz No. 7278 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Darci
Jan 22, 2013 Darci rated it really liked it
Obviously love little critter- Kyson loves these!
Darrielle
Mar 01, 2011 Darrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends
When I was younger I absolutely adored these tales. Use this book when friends or students have trouble getting along to show them how this one little guy worked out his issue with his friends.
Shanna
Aug 30, 2010 Shanna rated it really liked it
It's a cute story.
Pam
Jan 01, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
This one has even more of the hidden humor than the other Little Critter books, and it's quite a true picture of childhood friendships, imo.
  • Just a Thunderstorm (Look-Look)
  • Hedgie Loves to Read
  • Franklin Is Messy
  • Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Charlie the Caterpillar
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money
  • Mr. Messy (Mr. Men, #8)
  • Deep in the Swamp
  • I Am Skippyjon Jones
  • Clifford's Family
  • Bootsie Barker Bites
  • Curious George and the Dump Truck
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Froggy Learns to Swim
  • Prince and the Pauper (Disney Classics)
  • I Love You So Much
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • Good Night, Sweet Butterflies: A Color Dreamland
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad