Start by marking “Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)

Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,171 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Little Critter explores the ups and downs of friendship in this witty tale of an afternoon play date. Mercer Mayer's subtle style encourages children to handle early social issues with ease and humor. Ages 3-8.
Published March 27th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just My Friend and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just My Friend and Me

Oscar
One of the things that I love about the Little Critter series is that the illustrations often reveal more of the story than the text does (not to mention they are charming unto themselves with sketchy lines, soft colours, memorable character designs, and background details that are fun to discover on subsequent read throughs). In "Just My Friend and Me," it creates an interesting juxtaposition between Little Critter's perceptions of his friend's behaviour and what the reality is (which is that h ...more
Jordan Sanchez
The book Just My Friend and Me is about Little Critter having a friend over for the day at his house. Once his friend arrives the book then precedes to show the many different activities that they go through in the day. These activities include outside and indoor activities. I feel this book does a great job of showing how a friendship works when you are younger. It teaches children to play with others and to share their toys and to be active.
I feel the book does have a major downfall though. D
Connie
They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This book details a typical visit with a friend, and the havoc two children can wreak.

Little Critter puts it that he always has fun with his friend, but by the end of the day he's glad to be alone, a true sentiment if I ever heard one.

One thing to note is how the illustrations and the text don't always add up, a good introduction to the concept of an unreliable narrator :)
Robert Beveridge
Mercer Mayer, Just My Friend and Me (Golden Press, 1988)

This entry in the seemingly-neverending Little Critter series tackles some tough issues in a way that makes me want to see what Mayer would do with this material given the space for a young adult novel. Critter has a friend over to play, and the friend turns out to be not terribly friendlike (though whether the kid is malicious or just a complete solipsist is left up to the reader's interpretation, and ends up being a very interesting quest
Demilyn Odango
(2001)
Summary: Little Critter decides that he want to have a friends over. While they play, his friend seems to bully him, but Little Critter think its okay by blaming himself. He wants to be optimistic about having a friend over, but his friend seems to keep getting worse and worse. Finally, his friend leaves and he sees that being alone is okay too.

Evaluation: I believe that this story is for late emergent readers. Most of the pages have two lines. They also have transitional words. Most of th
Margaux
I'll be the first to admit that this is a biased review. But that's bound to happen when this is my personal account. So there.

I hate Mercer Mayer. I know that some kids love him, and that's just dandy. But I don't and I find the illustrations tacky and outdated. Also what the heck are these creatures? Are they koala bears? If so, why are they not gray?

I'll be using this in my "Me and my..." storytime. Yippee.
Marjorie Estavillo
I love reading all the books in the Little Critter Series by Mercer Mayer’s! I feel that all these books deal with issues that are relatable to young children. In the book Just My Friend And Me, the little critter is super excited to have his friend come over and spend the day with him. They have a blast doing different activities throughout the day, playing baseball, jumping rope, and climbing trees. A few bumps and bruises later they are beat and it is time for his friend to go home. After his ...more
Brent Rogers
Little Critter calls his friend and they play together. They climb a tree, play basketball, ride a bike, and his friend gets hurt. This book is good for learning about different activities to do with friends.
Tameko
i cant even read the books what a rip off

Elanor
Feb 21, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Molly Robbins
I have always loved the little critter books. Children love to read them so as a teacher I would love to integrate this into a reading/writing and/or math lesson. It focuses on ordinal numbers so this would be great practice for the young ones counting. There is great reinforcement of the importance of sharing throughout this book as well so you could incorporate character building into the lesson and have the students give you feedback, or they could write about it.
Jamie
I always liked Little Critter books, the artwork is wonderful and the stories are always good.

My daughter and I enjoyed this one together. The story follows Little Critter's day with his friend. Boy is his friend a jerk! Despite this, Little Critter was good about just letting it go and being the better kid. In the end, I thought it was a lovely story about tolerance.
Chelsea
Little Critter has a friend over. They do lots of things together...and a lot of things go wrong. He doesn't seem to notice, though. He tries to keep up with his friend. By the end of the day, he is tired from playing and trying to keep up with his friend and realizes it's nice to be alone, too.
Gala
This critter does not like doing anything by himself but who does. He enjoys his friend coming over to spend the day with him.His friend may be a little more advance than he is but he keeps a positive attitude.This is such a cute story. When the critter's friend gets hurt he is more concerned about his bike.
Pam
This one has even more of the hidden humor than the other Little Critter books, and it's quite a true picture of childhood friendships, imo.
Kelsey
Little Critter has a friend over to play and soon discovers that sometimes playing alone is not so bad. His friend breaks his bike on accident, leaves him in the tree house without a ladder to get down and then doesn’t help him clean up his room before he leaves.
Hope Johnson
This book teaches how to be a good friend and be fair to your friends. You can discuss if Critter's friend is fair to him throughout the book. It also teaches children that it is okay to be alone sometimes, you do not always have to have your friends around.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
Is about abear who asked his mom if his friends could come over and play with him. He starts to talk about the many things they could do like, climbing trees, playing in the tree house, hide and seek, play basketball, swing, ride a bike, and then go home.
April
In this cute children's book, Little Critter has his friend over to play. Little critter soon realizes that when you have a guest over, you have to defer to them somewhat and sees his friend as taking advantage of being the guest.
Deborah Harris
Dec 23, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a17, ar-1
AR Quiz No. 7278 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
This is a good story about friends learning how to play together. It also promotes playing outdoors and reading comic books. At the end of the play day we also learn that it is sometimes ok to be alone.
Darrielle
When I was younger I absolutely adored these tales. Use this book when friends or students have trouble getting along to show them how this one little guy worked out his issue with his friends.
Tammy  King Carlton
Rebekah was having a hard time playing nicely with friends, and this book actually helped her to understand that playdates aren't perfect, but we still like them and need them.
Brittany N
This is a cute book. It can be used to discuss friendships. The characters are animals which many students love.
Pamela Cockerell
One of my favorite books which shows friendship. A good read aloud book for the beginning of the year.
Theresa
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children.
Partridge Public
dMayer, Mercer K-1st
Darci
Obviously love little critter- Kyson loves these!
Shanna
It's a cute story.
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money
  • Mr. Messy (Mr. Men, #8)
  • Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Franklin Is Messy
  • Froggy Learns to Swim
  • Prince and the Pauper (Disney Classics)
  • Charlie the Caterpillar
  • I Am Skippyjon Jones
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • Bootsie Barker Bites
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Daisy Comes Home
  • Curious George and the Dump Truck
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet