Start by marking “A History of Illuminated Manuscripts” as Want to Read:
A History of Illuminated Manuscripts

A History of Illuminated Manuscripts

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Medieval manuscripts are counted among the greatest glories of Western civilization. With their gold and painted decoration and their charming miniatures, they have always had immense appeal, and images from them can be seen everywhere - from greeting cards and wrapping paper to expensive facsimiles. This entertaining and authoritative book is the first to provide a genera ...more
Published September 26th 1997 by Phaidon Press (first published June 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Illuminated Manuscripts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Illuminated Manuscripts

Ways of Seeing by John BergerHistory of Beauty by Umberto EcoBrunelleschi's Dome by Ross KingRites of Spring by Modris EksteinsThe Complete Paintings and Drawings by Leonardo da Vinci
The World History of Art
6th out of 304 books — 71 voters
The Book of Kells by Bernard MeehanEarly Medieval Art by John BeckwithEarly Netherlandish and German Paintings by Alistair SmithVenice by Giandomenico RomanelliA History of Illuminated Manuscripts by Christopher De Hamel
Medieval Art
5th out of 101 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

David Lafferty
While in Rome last year I saw many incredible examples of Illuminated manuscripts, I wish I had taken this book! This is a gorgeous book, but also a comprehensive and fascinating look at Illuminated manuscripts. This is arguably my favorite art book. Beautiful color plates as well as very readable text for the reader like myself, who loves all things medieval, but is far from an art scholar. Highly recommended!

ps. If you love Italy take a look at the Goodreads group "All Things Italy"

grazie!
Moses Operandi
This is one of the most beautiful and fascinating books I have ever opened. It is the best "book about books" I have ever read.
Travis
Christopher De Hamel's "A History of Illuminated Manuscripts" (now in its second edition) is certainly the definitive history for lay readers, but it is probably the best starting place for aspiring professionals as well. It is well-written, faultlessly researched, and copiously illustrated. I happily use it in my university course on illuminated manuscripts together with Ingo Walther's "Masterpieces of Illumination" (published by Taschen)--in my opinion, the perfect companion piece.

The second e
Steve Anderson
This is a very useful book for understanding the history, development and production of illuminated books. me reviewers find the words inadequate. Not this user, who found cause to refer to it again and again. It is clear that Christopher de Hamel has a deep and broad understanding of his subject, yet he manages to write in a way that elucidates his subject.

Mr. de Hamel's work contributed greatly to my understanding of illuminated manuscripts and the writing of BOOK OF HOURS: THE BEGUILEMENT OF
Leigh
Not a book I would ordinarily read but it is on the reading list for fabulous recent course I took at the Morgan Library "Introduction to Illustrated Medieval Manuscripts." It was perfect background for that. Of course reading about these great treasures is a pleasure, second only to actually seeing them!
Candice
This is absolutely one of the best books that I have ever "had" to read. It is big, bold, colorful, and littered with over 200 scans and photos of beautiful manuscripts.

This book has the power to appeal to a wide variety of readers: lovers of history, art, literature, and books. It is, without a doubt, an all-encompassing book for myself, as its subject is aimed at almost everything that I love.

Whole-heartedly recommend.
Katya
This might seem like a niche-interest esoteric read, but I think it's actually quite contemporary. Living in a digital age when we are witnessing physical print become obsolete before our eyes (folding and bankruptcy of newspaper bureaus, development of digital book readers), it is particularly interesting to think about how people read, how books were created and why, before the advent of printing even began with gutenberg. A truly rich and wondrous introduction to the book as object.

also the p
Bill
This is a lovingly written and lavishly illustrated history of medieval manuscripts. The work is detailed and scholarly referencing hundreds of books through this work. For the casual reader like me this may be a little tedious but for the person who has interest in this subject this is a great book.
Jenny
I took a class from him over the summer. He worked for Christies and is now at Cambridge. He is one of the world's leading experts on Medieval Manuscripts and I believe it! He can look at a manuscript and instantly date it, localize it, and perhaps even tell you the artist. AMAZING!
Sarah Fisher
It's a very pretty book but the writing is basic. If you already have a basic introduction to medieval manuscripts and the time period, go onto something a bit more in-depth.

And by that I mean, read everything else Christopher de Hamel has ever written.
Christopher
The words are sort of only so-so which, of course, is precisely not the point. Lovely, and the editor gets lots of points for making it a big book so that you can see all the fantastically intricate detail.
Tina
Jun 07, 2008 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, books
This is a grand introduction to the world of illuminated manuscripts. There are plenty of color photographs, and the history is enjoyably written. It has a nice balance of text and photos.
Jeannette
This book is informative and has beautiful illustrations of illuminated manuscripts. A must for anyone interested in the subject.
Kristin
The author knows his stuff. A must for anyone interested in this subject.
David
Interesting. Could have been more compelling, but definitely not bad.
Crystal
Mar 04, 2009 Crystal rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book nerds
Consulted this one when researching for a project...
Sherry
If you're into this kind of stuff...BEAUTIFUL!!!
Brian
A lot of data, but a helpful resource.
Stephen Perkovic
Stephen Perkovic marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Martin Shone
Martin Shone marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Vikki
Vikki marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Ruta
Ruta marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
LiZi Bruklinsk
LiZi Bruklinsk marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • Grimoires: A History of Magic Books
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • Library: An Unquiet History
  • A Short History of the Printed Word
  • A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-Day Iraq
  • Out of the Flames: The Remarkable Story of a Fearless Scholar, a Fatal Heresy, and One of the Rarest Books in the World
  • The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making
Dr Christopher de Hamel is a Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and is Fellow Librarian of the Parker Library, one of the most important small collections of early manuscripts in Britain. For 25 years from 1975 he was responsible for all sales of medieval manuscripts at Sotheby’s. He has doctorates from Oxford and Cambridge and honorary doctorates from St John’s University, Collegeville, ...more
More about Christopher De Hamel...
Scribes And Illuminators The Book: A History of the Bible The British Library Guide to Manuscript Illumination: History and Techniques (British Library Guides) Bibles: An Illustrated History from Papyrus to Print Rothschilds and their Collections of Illuminated Manuscripts