Daft Bat

Daft Bat

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  20 reviews
All the young wild animals think Bat is mad. How can she say a tree has the trunk at the top and the leaves at the bottom? Until, that is, they consult wise Owl who suggests that if they just try looking at things from Bat's point of view, they might see thing very differently.
Published October 4th 2007 by Andersen (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Daft Bat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daft Bat

Caroline Foster
The philosopher Thomas Nagel famously wrote a paper called ‘What is it like to be a bat? ’, in which he argued that though we might be able to imagine the kind of experiences a bat has – flying around at night, hanging upside down, catching insects in our mouths, and so on – we can only imagine what it would be like for us to be a bat, not what it is like for a bat to be a bat; we cannot replicate the subjective experience of ‘batness’.

Happily, real world thought experiments in putting ourselves...more
Marilyn
The story begins by the line: "There was once a bat who got everything round the wrong way". Why could that be? Her perspective on life was hanging by her feet and seeing the world in a topsy-turvy way....not a normal way, that could be understood by the other wild, young animal around her. When she first landed in the neighbourhood Wise Owl wanted to give her a welcome gift. The young animals were asked to go and find out what she would like. She asked for an umbrella so her feet wouldn't get w...more
Bethany
Bat sees the world upside down. All the other animals think he's ridiculous and, of course, wrong. They tell him he's wrong ("daft") when he says that he needs an umbrella to keep his feet dry, or that the rising water of the river will get his ears wet. But when Bat finally asks them to hang upside down from a tree limb, they see the world as he does, and they understand that Bat wasn't wrong--he's just seing things from a different point of view.

This is an excellent book that teaches a valuabl...more
ckodama152
All the wild young animals think the new Bat is crazy. They don't understand it when Bat asks for an umbrella to keep its feet dry when it rains. Isn't an umbrella for keeping our heads dry when it rains, not our feet? The animals think Bat's loony when she says that the sky is below her and the ground is above her head. If they only could see the world from Bat's perspective then they might think differently.

This is a good story for elementary students to encourage them to look at situations fr...more
Kristin
This is a picture book about the importance of judgment (i.e. not doing it).
Jillian Heise
Emphasizing the importance of looking at things from others' perspectives with humor on the part of animals who think bat doesn't know what he is talking about and is "daft"
Emely
All the animals think that the bats are nuts because they keep saying crazy things like, "Trees have trunks at the top and leaves at the bottom." They finally realized that the bats are looking at everything from a different point of view than theirs. So they try and see what the bats point of view is actually like. Cute story.
Picture the book
Melody
The illustrations weren't my favorites, and the story was cute but not very involving for the five-year-old in the audience. He was drawn in before the end, however, so all was not lost. Also, daft was a new word for both members of my audience, so that was good. 2.5
Fun safari animals, a refreshingly sweet-tempered bat, and a nice lesson all wrapped up with fun illustrations provide a great way to learn a new word! Fun for preschool and older.
Nojood Alsudairi
From the bat's point of view everything is reversed but the other animal cobs think he is crazy. The owel, as usual, clears the dilema. A unique way of presnting illustrations and text.
Elizabeth
This is a delightful book about seeing things from a different perspective! Swing upside down like a bat and you will see things in a brand new way!
Zack
Not as much fun as I had hoped. Could work in a storytime, but I don't know if I liked it enough to give it a shot. Is this vague enough?
Mary
Cute but not for storytime. I'm not coordinated enough to flip books back and forth!
Heidi
Definitely British. Funny. Lesson isn't shoved down your throat. I liked it.
Kate Hastings
Jan 18, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-K halloween bats
Funny book about a bat who has everything upside-down.
Dee
I loved the last page. Very clever!
Denise
Very British, "barmy" gave it away.
Jim
being different is good
Linh
Linh added it
May 14, 2014
Leilah
Leilah marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jeanne Willis was born in St Albans and trained as an advertising copywriter at Watford College. She worked for various agencies creating press adverts and TV, cinema and radio commercials. She is now a full-time writer and has published over 80 books. Her hobbies include gardening, reading (non-fiction), natural history and collecting caterpillars. Jeanne has also worked on scripts for TV, includ...more
More about Jeanne Willis...
Tadpole's Promise The Bog Baby Shamanka Hippospotamus Never Too Little to Love. Jeanne Willis, Jan Fearnley