London Match (Bernard Samson, #3)

London Match (Bernard Samson #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,306 ratings  ·  39 reviews
"Taut...Splendid...First rate."
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
With treason epidemic in London Central, a cloud of suspicion passes over each senior agent, and each falls helplessly into Moscow Centre's brilliant, complex trap. As LONDON MATCH rushes toward its amazing climax, the ultimate, decisive confrontation is about to take place--between Samson and the British KGB agent who,...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published December 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published 1985)

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
77th out of 533 books — 589 voters
London Match by Len DeightonThe Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLeanEye of the Needle by Ken FollettWhere Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLeanSpy Sinker by Len Deighton
Greatest Thrillers & Spy Novels
1st out of 94 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

John Defrog
The final book in the Game Set & Match trilogy, in which Bernard Samson helps capture a KGB courier using information from former KGB major Erich Stinnes – whom Samson convinced to defect in the previous book. But the courier’s confession implies that there is another KGB mole in London Central – which is bad news for Samson, whose loyalty has been questioned since his wife turned out to be a KGB mole herself. Now he must find out who the mole is – or if the courier is lying. Deighton delive...more
Peter
3rd in the trilogy but not quite the best of the three. Several twists and turns I didn't work out in advance, which is the test of a mystery/thriller novel and I really enjoyed some of the passages which expose the buffoonery of civil service life. I think Leighton pulls his punches when dealing with Fiona - she's either entirely cold-hearted and scheming or she's not. Don't keep trying to give her a soft centre!
Jim
London Match is the concluding novel in the first of three trilogies featuring Bernard Samson. Samson suspects that there is a traitor within his department of MI6, due to the appearance of a memorandum which was leaked to the KGB.
Tim Prosser

Bernard Samson, a middle-aged British Intelligence Officer in the 1970’s, former field agent in Berlin but now riding a desk back in London. Nine books chart his history with vivid characterization, suspense, the occasional bit of off-beat humour, intricate plotting, betrayals, and redemptions. The same set of characters, both the good and bad guys, basically move from book to book, allowing Mr Deighton to gradually fill-in their complexities, so that the books are far deeper than many spy novel...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 2004.

The third novel in the Game, Set and Match trilogy continues the story of how Bernard Samson copes with the aftermath of his wife's defection to the Soviet Union, the event which provided the climax to Berlin Game. KGB officer Erich Stinnes has in his turn defected - the central action of Mexico Set. And now it appears, from what London's intelligence services learn from Stinnes and other agents, that there is another KGB agent in a senior p...more
Andrew Robins
There are nine books in the Bernard Samson series, which is split into three batches - Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match being the first, then the later two being Spy Hook, Spy Line and Spy Sinker, followed by Faith, Hope and Charity.

I've now finished this, the last of the first three, and largely enjoyed them all. They're easier to read than, say, John Le Carre', but are relatively hefty books (this one was 450 odd pages), so Deighton takes his time weaving the plot lines.

Broadly speakin...more
Davidg
Bought along with a number of others in the series in the cheap section of a local charity shop. I had read the original trilogy when it first came out and thought it ok but not special. It is certainly not in the same class as Le Carre.

I have problems with the KGB and MI5 allowing suspect agents or recently returned spies free reign and no oversight. I am sure there would be extensive periods of garden leave and debriefing and not going straight into the field. And would a British KGB agent be...more
rabbitprincess
Apr 26, 2008 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: espionage fans, Cold War buffs, people who read Game and Set
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the Top 100 list, but my dad likes Deighton too
Of the three books in the trilogy, this one was the hardest to put down. It was suspenseful, with twists and turns everywhere. As new complications arose, I could feel the world closing in on Samson, and as the last few chapters unfolded, I plowed along recklessly with him, heart in my throat, unsure of how it would all play out.

To be honest, I probably read the end of it *too* quickly, because I feel as if I missed a couple of things in my rush to find out how it ended. I shall keep this review...more
Carolyn Crane
This was fabulous until the end. Still, I love how Deighton weaves a workaday spy novel. He approaches spying almost as having a management problem, like any other job where workers know more than bosses.
Victor Gibson
By now, having read Game and Set, London Match is a fitting conclusion to the first trio of Bernard Samson books. Bernard continues to deal with the difficulties of the London Central top floor and his immediate boss, Dicky Cruyer, while at the same time trying to work out what is reality and what is KGB misinformation.

As we move towards the climax of the book the violence escalates and people die. I have read all these book before as they came out, but it is absolutely painless to read them one...more
Bill Bunn
A lovely read, for genre fiction.
Johnny Waco
The last volume of Deighton's "Game, Set, Match" trilogy falls short of the quality of the previous books, but not too far. Bernard Samson is still dealing with the emotional and professional fallout from his wife Fiona's defection to the Soviets, and with his growing suspicions about the KGB defector Erich Stinnes. The intermingling of national and romantic infidelity provides a thoughtful subtext here. Not a mile-a-minute thriller, but an emotionally resonant and compelling one, a fitting conc...more
Linda
Remember these titles: "Berlin Game" "Mexico Set" "London Match"
"Spy Hook" "Spy Line" "Spy Sinker"

All by Len Deighton. All with protagonist Bernard Samson. Read them in that order, but READ THEM!

You know those kinds of novels that you love so much you mourn the loss of them when you're done reading them? Yeah, that's what this series is. I haven't yet read the next trilogy "Faith" "Hope" and "Charity", but I'm counting on you, Len! Don't let me down!
Amy Difar
Awesome, awesome series. Berlin Game, Mexico Set, London Match. One of the best cold war books (series) I ever read. Unlike many other spy novelists, Len Deighton's books' plots are followable. I came across London Match in a convenience store and had to buy it. Finished it in two days and immediately went to the store to buy Berlin Game and Mexico Set. Read those and then re-read London Match again.
Clare Mckenzie
This is about my 4th read of this trilogy - I get something different from it each time and this time was no exception. Deighton doesn't spell the storyline out - you have to work for it, one of the reasons I think I get more from it each time I read it. That said, this is a great spy story, it moves along at a cracking pace and has engaging characters who are by now, for me, very familiar.
AmblingBooks
"Robert Whitfield's reading of London Match will have the listener wishing that the great espionage game had gone on forever�.Whitfield handles Deighton's multinational cast effortlessly�even when they all appear together in a scene." � AudioFile

Listen to London Match on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Sally Hunt
This book was just laying around when I was desperate for something (anything) to read. Although the writing was good and the story itself was good - I would not recommend reading it before having read the other two in the trilogy. Unlike most books from a series, this was not also a stand alone novel and I found throughout the entire book I really had no idea what was going on.
kagami
Dec 27, 2013 kagami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: uk, spy
This guy Bernard Samson is a man of flesh and blood, he makes mistakes just like everyone else. He's not James Bond or some other superhero. Once I got over this idea, I started to enjoy the books. I like the way the characters are portrayed; they are really quite believable. The story is interesting too, so I look forward to the next book.
Bazbal666
Great trilogy! A bunch of dudes that hang out and drink wine, smoke cigars, do some spying and have all sorts of office rivavlries and politics to sort out. And on top of that all of the men are in their 40's and they are all with with women that are like 20. What's not to like?
David Hayes
Prescient about the inevitable collapse of Soviet-style communism. Cynical about Western motives and methods.
The whole trilogy is greater than the sum of its parts. Read all three books before you make any judgments. And even then, remember that things are rarely as they seem.
Teri Cooper
Len Deighton was my fave spy author of the 80s...not sure if these books would stand the test of time now that the Berlin wall is well and truly down and the Soviet Union and cold war are figments of a bygone era. Nonetheless his writing style is humourous and intoxicating.
Paul
A splendid finish to the series. As ever, Deighton weaves a tangled plot, bits of ruthless action interspersed with mind games and snobbery. The ending - ambiguous and feeling so true-to-life.
Tom
It was going along well enough until there was a sudden big gloppy mass of undigested historic background that just brought my interest in the series to an end.
Gary Allen
The first 2/3ds of the book dragged on before getting interesting. I was disappointed the wife, Fiona, did not get her well deserved 'come-up pings' in the end.
Louisiana
I parodied this in my novel Uncorrected Proof (see http://elephantearspress.com/uncorrec... )
Chris Gager
Len Deighton isn't quite Le Carre but he's quite capable. A gritty end to this three-part Samson saga.
Gareth Evans
Third part of an excellent series - no distraction, lots of talk, little action. Perfect
Meillyn
book 3 of a great spy series, also known as game, set, match, set in the 70s/80s.
Carmen
More than a mere spy novel. Highly recommended for fans of the genre.
Katie Q
Having read this many years ago - time to consider reading again.
  • Our Game
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • A Coffin for Dimitrios
  • Agent in Place
  • Year of the Tiger (Paul Chavasse #2)
  • Silesian Station (John Russell, #2)
  • The Confession
  • Spycatcher: The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer
Deighton was born in Marylebone, London, in 1929. His father was a chauffeur and mechanic, and his mother was a part-time cook.After leaving school, Deighton worked as a railway clerk before performing his National Service, which he spent as a photographer for the Royal Air Force's Special Investigation Branch. After discharge from the RAF, he studied at St Martin's School of Art in London in 1949...more
More about Len Deighton...
The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1) Berlin Game (Bernard Samson, #1) Mexico Set (Bernard Samson, #2) Funeral in Berlin SS-GB