Start by marking “Your Mother Was a Neanderthal #4” as Want to Read:
Your Mother Was a Neanderthal #4

Your Mother Was a Neanderthal #4 (Time Warp Trio #4)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The first four books of the wildly popular Time Warp Trio series are now in one value-priced boxed set! Whether the gang's fighting off the Black Knight in the middle of Camelot, practicing magic tricks on Blackbeard and his pirates, stampeding cattle in the Old West, or running from a woolly mammoth, one thing is for sure: no one's ever bored when the Time Warp Trio's aro ...more
Published May 24th 1993 by Viking Juvenile (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Your Mother Was a Neanderthal #4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Mother Was a Neanderthal #4

Tabitha
Independent Reading: 3rd- 4th grade

Scieszka told the story of the “Time Warp Trio-Your Mother was a Neanderthal” using figurative language and imagery. This story is told from a child’s point of view with adventure and suspense. Smith added black and white sketches that were scattered about and were specific to the main point on the page. These sketches were done in such a way that I believe it is a transitional science fiction chapter book that is giving a little of that visual support to the r
Chris Maynard

Student Name: Chris Maynard

Purpose: Fantasy (Wide Reading Project)

Genre: Fantasy

Grade: Intermediate - Early Middle School

Subjects/Themes: See the bookshelves above.

School Use: I would not teach this book at all as I did not like it. With that said, I borrowed it from the classroom library of a sixth-grade teacher whom I was observing. In a similar light, a classmate of mine named Lizabeth said this book and the Time-Warp-Trio series were very popular with her middle school students. With that
Christina
Once again, the boys are sent back in time; this time, they travel to the Stone Age. They meet up with some cave people and the matriarch looks strikingly like Joe's mother. How did that happen? The boys must battle a dinosaur- what? A dinosaur? That doesn't sound right. Well they have to battle all sorts of things. You are just going to have to read the book to find out what a dinosaur was doing alongside cavemen and how the boys are going to get back to their own time long without The Book sin ...more
Dolly
Mar 15, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read a few books in the Time Warp Trio series and they are fun. The boys are always getting themselves into tricky situations, there's always some drama, some danger, and yet it always comes out okay in the end. Jon Scieszka is a wonderful author and when he collaborates with Lane Smith, they make a great team. We are certain to look for more titles in this series at our local library. I like the twist that he put in this story. Since they went to a time over 40,000 years ago, long before ...more
Michele
This series is a great read for 6-10 year old boys. Suspenseful yet silly adventures of all sorts to grab their attention and challenging vocabulary make them smarter :) I've been reading them aloud with my 1st grader and he laughs out loud at the cheekiness of them.
Sri
Time Warp Trio books is about three boys: Joe, Sam and Fred. Sam is the nerd, Fred the bad boy and Joe... What can I say about Joe? I don't remember he got any unique character... He likes magic, that's all. Sam and Fred is hilarious but my favorite character is Fred.
Your Mother Was a Neanderthal is pretty funny. It was started by Sam's idea about taking useful things with them when they do time-traveling. And they think the farther back in time they go, the more impressive their things will be.
Alvera
I've thoroughly enjoyed Scieszka and Smith's previous collaborations, such as The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales, and have had The Time Warp Trio series on my to be read list for quite some time. This particular one was a quick read, a little bit funny, a little bit cute, but mostly forgettable.
Gabe
Love this book so funny
Tyler
Sep 24, 2007 Tyler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
i read this book when i was alot younger but i still remember it because i liked it alot. This series of books was good because they were really funny and i always wanted to find out what would happen in the next book in the series. I chose this book to do a review on because it was the favourite one in the series that i liked. The series is about 3 boys who go back in tie to diffrent periods of time and they get in lots of trouble.
Kristine Pratt
I think the author is getting better at the flashback beginning because this book read a lot smoother to me. I liked this story - it was creative and funny in how it handled sending the boys back to the prehistoric period. I liked how they used their wits to solve the problems at hand, and even learned a few things they didn't know along the way. Very good story all around.

Nice little cliff hanger ending too. :D
Tanya
Love this series/author to bring history alive for a kid. The reading level on this in my experience is around 2nd grade, enough words and sufficient vocabulary to be interesting but not overwhelming in length. We read this one during a study of early humans as a fun fictional read. My son (a so-so reader, age 7) had a week to read this and read it in two days, which says a lot about how much he enjoyed it.
Children's Literature
The trio think they can be kings if they take modern things back to the time of cavemen, but they arrive naked and without The Book and amazingly enough the leader of the "women's" tribe of cavepeople looks suspiciously like Joe's Ma. Since there was no written language in that time and definitely no books, what do they do to get back home?
Paul
I think I read more of the books in this series but this is the only one I actually remember reading. It was okay. I thought it handled time travel better than THE MAGIC TREE HOUSE books. Then again, these books are for slightly older kids than the books in that series are intended for.
Cheryl
What does one say about this funny little adventures? Ok, this one struck me as a bit sexist - the male cavemen were stupider and stinkier. But the book was written & ill. by guys for guys, so I guess it's ok.
Jessa
VERY readable, but not incredibly descriptive. Heavy on dialogue, but light on truly painting the scene of a "time before time" adventure.
Marianne
So PERFECT for an early reader...especially for a boy that doesn't seem to want to read. I've loved everyone I've read.
Mona
Funny, silly, appropriate even for 6/7 years old. Some educational info. Have read more at home.
Carolyn
3.7 -- 1.0

Time Warp Trio #4
Now I want to go cut a straw and see how it sounds!
Zahra
i learned always be patient or else you might end up in a bad situation.
Maggie
It is a grand laugh but don't think about funny in every corner!
Susan
fun and quick. great book to read to kids.
Mikail
the boys are sent back to the stone age
Sam
i loved it! (wrong cover!)
PWRL
Jun 04, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Sci
your mom 1 1 Oct 18, 2012 08:23AM
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • The Weeping Werewolf (Moongobble and Me, #2)
  • The High-Rise Private Eyes #1: The Case of the Missing Monkey
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
  • Frogged
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Viking Ships At Sunrise (Magic Tree House, #15)
  • Mini Mysteries: 20 Tricky Tales to Untangle (American Girl Library)
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Stink and the World's Worst Super-Stinky Sneakers (Stink, #3)
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • The Best Pet of All
  • Belinda the Ballerina
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...

Time Warp Trio (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • 2095 (Time Warp Trio, #5)
  • Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio, #6)
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales Math Curse The Frog Prince, Continued Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka