Start by marking “Just for You (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just for You (Little Critter)

Just for You (Little Critter)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  18,038 ratings  ·  86 reviews
This genuinely funny picture book is a classic -- one of the first that starred Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter. In this title, young readers see Little Critter trying very hard to be a good helper. Unfortunately, something always seems to get in his way. When he tries to dry dishes for his mother, the dishes grow slippery. When he makes an effort not to splash water ...more
Published June 30th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Just for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just for You

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
321st out of 3,181 books — 4,772 voters
The Princess and the Unicorn by Nicola BaxterJust for You by Mercer MayerThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschOlivia by Ian Falconer
5 Year Old Girl's Top Favorites
2nd out of 25 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Trevor Wetzel
“Just for You” by Mercer Mayer, is about a character known as “Little Critter who tries to help his mother with many different tasks throughout the day but, is unable to complete them. He becomes frustrated because he cannot help his mother. After failing at several tasks he says that he just wanted to do something special for his mother and she tells him that he has. The theme of the story is, “It’s the thought that counts.”

The main character is Little Critter. He shows that he can be persiste
Cassidy
In the story of a child and his efforts to do something for him mom we see the true innocence of a child. I think this book is entertaining for all ages as most adults can understand how a child’s efforts to do something nice for you can turn into an even bigger mess. I also believe a child would see the truth in the story and find it somewhat funny. The story is both funny and sweet as we see the child trying over and over to do something right and then follows it with a childish reason for not ...more
Rhayne
As children we are always trying to please our parents and this inhibition isn’t one that leaves us as we grow older. We work all our lives to make our parents proud, for them to appreciate our dedication and in turn understand our own appreciation for the lessons they have taught us. In our youth we complete mundane tasks to satisfy our parents request and as adults we search for meaning in our work so that we may reciprocate such financial or metaphorical wealth to our parents. Just for you a ...more
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Adorable book. Nice to give to someone you love. I got this for my step-daughters to give to my husband when they were little & they loved reading it with him. He still has it.
Amy
My mom read this to me in the mid to late 1970s. It was a favorite then, and now I read it to my son. Love it!
Maria Armenta
This Little Critter book is about a baby critter who wants to do something special for his mom. After many attempts such as mopping the floor, putting the dishes away, carrying the groceries and mowing the lawn he feels like he doesn’t succeed. At the end he gives his mom a hug and kiss which is the only thing she really wanted! I really liked this book because all kids want to please their mom which is exactly what this little critter wanted to do. The illustrations contain tons of detail along ...more
Risa
little critter is doing his best, so she tries to just feel the love. She has to try really hard
sometimes, because she knows that he was just trying to take a bubble bath, not bury the house!
This is a hear warming story about unconditional love, no matter what.
The illistrations are so fun to look at as you go on this wild goose chase of a journey!

Extension: The children can see how may times they see a
certa
Katherine Codino
This was a positive and uplifting book for young children. Children often try to help this mothers, little critter tries to help his mom through out the day, but he can't seem to do it right. He keeps trying to help his mother and finally decided she will do something special that he can do for her. His mother reminds him that the important part of helping someone is that you tried. This book. Teaches children that their determination and effort will pay off in the end.
Marisa Gallo
Just for You was a book that was regularly read to my brother and I growing up. Its about a little animal who wants to help his mom out but something always goes wrong. This book teaches a great lesson for little kids because the theme of this story is it's the thought that count.
Brooke
I used to read this book when I was little! This is a very sweet story about a very loving and very patient mom. She knows that her little critter is doing his best, so she tries to just feel the love.
Irene
Very much described the child inside us; trying but not really hard (as adults would), so simple and naive. And in the end, that's what a child can best give: love in hugs and kisses... So cute.
Kirsten
I remember loving the Little Critter series when I was a kid. I haven't read this one when I was younger but this is a cute little story in the series. Little Critter is trying to be helpful in the story but ends up making things worse instead of better. The moral of the story is that sometimes things have to go wrong before they can be right; or have to get worse before they can get better. This can be used as a read aloud for younger children and used as lesson to teach the students. This can ...more
Leigh W.
This one never gets old! I loved reading it as a kid and I love reading it out loud to my little darlings now. Perfect ending to a tough, but beautiful day.
Samantha Mckay
Just for You was one of my favorite books as a child. It is part of the little critter series, and I loved them as a whole when I was younger. This little critter was always trying to help out, but every time he tried doing something, it would go wrong. This book is good for elementary and lower ages and teaches kids that it’s the thought that counts. Even if you are not perfect at something, trying your best is okay. This book was written and illustrated very beautifully and it is a book I woul ...more
Celticoracle
Still love this book as an adult as much as I did as a kid. Poor Little Critter just tries so hard...
Jordan Tankersley
Sara
I used to love this book as a kid. The little spider that was in every drawing was my favorite.
Hanim
Mercer Mayer's books are great for kids of all messages; they are great "first readers" - I learned to read from his books. Each story is easy to follow along, and presents a "be-attitude" type of message that isn't preachy and isn't sappy.
I read these stories to my child every chance I get, as well as to my neices and nephews when they are in town. I highly recommend these stories to parents that want to get their kids into reading, are looking for a easy step as their child transitions into sc
Connie
My nieces and I really enjoy Little Critter books.

They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This must be one of the first ones - you can see that Little Critter isn't wearing his trademark overalls yet.

He wants to do something special for his mom, but he keeps failing - until the end, when we find out that he succeeded after all. That might go over a young child's head - I guess he succeeded simply by trying? but it's a sweet sentiment anyway.
Leia
It was really funny i love mercer mayer'books there great
Andd Becker
Oh, how sweet. This is excellent Mercer Mayer. There are a cricket and a spider in every picture.
Little Critter tries hard to do things right, but the eggs are too slippery, the soap is too bubbly, the floor is too wet. The grocery bag breaks. The bed is too bouncy, L.C. is too little to mow the lawn, the TV is too loud. There is a storm in the bathtub.
At day's end, he does something special -- hugs his mom.
Wonderful pictures!
Robyn Watt
This was a great read, wonderful and simple vocabulary, easy to read. Great illustrations on each page, it showed how much a child loves their mother and wants to show her how much he cares and takes on different tasks throughout the book to show his love. Some of the tasks did not turn out so well so he ended up keeping it simple and giving her just a kiss and hug. Great book to read to children and let them make a special gift just for Mom.
Katie
i love the Mayer books. i've read them all to my son when he was growing up. I've actually bought a couple now that he is off to college and used them a birthday cards .... just little ways to let your kids know you still love them and think about them. He said when he got it in the mail it made him smile and he actually read it. I ca't wait to start reading them again when i have grandchildren! excellent excellent books!!!
Emerson
Bad message.
I'm not sure what type of small animal this is supposed to be. "Just For You" is this little unknown animal's feeble and weak-willed dialog about the things he wanted to to do "just for" his mommy. But he fails because he gets caught up goofing off and watching television. It's silly. We read it a few times in Palm Desert but it's back at the library and won't be missed.
Stacey
Mercer Mayer has a variety of great books, like this one. These books always have a lesson that can be learned. This is a good book to read before Mother's Day. It has repeating words like "Just for You." I think it would give students ideas on how to surprise their Mother/guardian with love. Instead of feeling the only way to show them love is to do many chores that end badly.
Chellee
I could put all Mercer Mayer books on my list. I used to read them to my little brother and went on to read them to my kids. There isn't a bad one in the bunch. Lots to choose from including new babies, potty training, grandparents, mom, dad, etc. Great insights in few words with amazing illustrations. Aren't they all "little monsters"?
Jaimie
Children try so hard sometimes, but they often just can't... be good that is. Mayer explores all the things that little hedgehog (?) does to try to please his mother, but he can't quite get anything right. You can't help but laugh at his attempts, because for the most part he means well; but is just a child, and they are meant to misbehave!
Dolly
Jun 24, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun Little Critter book that is not specifically for Mother's Day, but is very appropriate for the occasion. It's a fun little story and it tells about how many good intentions children have, even if things don't work out the way they planned. We've enjoyed the stories in this series.
Tami Hammerschmidt
Hands down one of the greatest books ever written for children and for parents as well. A treasure. There is rarely a children's author who tugggggs at the heartstrings of mom and dad and child while all enjoying the work. Like A.A. Milne did so long ago, Mayer holds to this rare phenom.
  • The Berenstain Bears No Girls Allowed
  • Just a Bully
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
  • Serendipity
  • Stone Soup
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
  • When I Get Bigger
Just Go to Bed Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet Just a Mess (Little Critter)