Start by marking “Family Trust” as Want to Read:
Family Trust

Family Trust

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  773 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Firmly planted on the Wall Street fast track to success, Becca Reinhart has no desire to marry and raise a family. Ditto Edward Kirkland, a charming playboy who has never known what it means to work for a living, and hopes never to find out. Enter Emily, who becomes Becca and Edward’s common denominator when a quirk of fate gives them joint custody of the precocious little ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Plume (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Family Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Trust

Cupid's Mistake by Chantilly WhiteThe Kissing Booth by Beth ReeklesConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaThe Romeo Club by Rebekah L. PurdyForever by Devon Tarantino
Girly Girl Covers
9th out of 22 books — 13 voters
Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBeneath the Glitter by Elle FowlerGoodbye, Jimmy Choo by Annie SandersHow Not To Shop by Carmen Reid
Shopping Bag Covers
29th out of 37 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
This booked sparked my interest and I picked it up because it is from the same author as Legally Blond and while I have not read the book yet, I lovedlovedloved the movie. Yeah, I don't know what is wrong with this author and this book didn't make me want to read Legally Blond AT ALL. The execution was all wrong. The girl and the dude getting together in the end like totally came out of nowhere and made no sense. There was no build up at all. I think because maybe it was written in third person ...more
Joy
May 11, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy an easy read with some romance
I really loved this book. I thought it was fun and an easy read. I loved the interaction between Rebecca and Edward. It seemed like a nice twist on people from different backgrounds coming together and not bickering. The little girl is obviously adorable and there is the tragedy that brought this "family" together which is almost swept under the rug, which might annoy some people.

A great summer book.
Emily
Feb 12, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
This book is about Becca Reinhart a Wall Street workaholic and Edward Kirkland a playboy who doesn't work more than running the family trust and attending charity functions. Becca and Edward are brought together when they are joinly named as guardian of Emily, the rambunctious 5 year old, daughter of old friends for each of them. Emily's parents never got married and each named a different guardian for Emily, so now the courts have to figure out who get's Emily. While they wait for the decision ...more
Tara
Jan 19, 2009 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
If I could give 2.5 stars, I would have. 3 is a little too much for this book. The story was horribly predictable and didn't have much imagination. It was rooted in unrealistic circumstance - two people so close to a child that they were both named guardian but never met? Did this kid not have birthday parties? The preschool application project was too long of a distraction, as was the engagement proceedings.

The editing on this book was awful. You have to assume a lot of actions have taken plac
Christel
Jun 26, 2015 Christel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Feel good boek, niet heel spannend hoe het afloopt, maar het leest lekker.
Christina
Sep 26, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, german, besitz
Das Buch habe ich mal getauscht, weil es mich ein bisschen an den Film „So spielt das Leben“ mit Katherine Heigl und Josh Duhamel erinnerte. Leider, wirklich leider, gibt es nur EINE Gemeinsamkeit: zwei Singles werden Vormünder eines verwaisten Kindes.

Becca und Edward sind … sind … mir fehlen die Worte. Ihr könnt euch kaum vorstellen, wie langweilig dieses Buch ist.
Es beginnt in den ersten zwei Kapiteln damit, dass das typische Leben von sowohl Becca als auch Edward gezeigt wird. Becca, ganz Kar
M.
Feb 21, 2014 M. rated it did not like it
I can't really say too many good things about this book. It got a good review in some magazine I read so I added it to my must read list but it did not live up to the hype. There was absolutely NO chemistry between Becca and Edward. I was more than halfway through the book and Becca never even gave him a second glance.

Needless to say, I would not recommend this book. It left too many things up in the air. I wanted more closure.
Kiera Beddes
Genre: high powered career women, lifestyles of the rich and famous, unusual families
Summary: Becca is on the Wall Street fast track. Edward is old money playboy. They meet when their best friends name them co-guardians in the event of their demise. They come together to raise Emily, their precocious four year old. Together, they navigate the rocky shoals of Ivy-League preschools and jam-packed days full of lessons and playdates etc. Even though they are worlds apart, Becca and Eddie become to d
Kim
Jun 21, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
I got about halfway into this book and am not really motivated to read the rest. It was a good way to spend an afternoon by the pool with my child, but the story is taking way too long to develop and I disliked the main character from the first page. The whole time I was reading I kept thinking, "I could have written and edited something far more awesome than this..."
Margali
Mar 11, 2010 Margali rated it did not like it
Technically, I did finish this book, but I shouldn't have. Unrealistic even for a romance, with a "hero" who could only be more passive if he were dead. The author kept stating all his supposed good qualities, but only showed him being wishy-washy and pushed around.
Kate  Maxwell
Sep 20, 2012 Kate Maxwell rated it did not like it
Shelves: beach-read
WOW! First of all, I cannot believe I actually finished this book. I kept hoping it would get better, and it didn't. It was so incredibly unrealistic, shallow and farcical! I feel bad that I inflicted it on some unsuspecting person on the flight after me.
Mackenzie Dickson
May 02, 2010 Mackenzie Dickson rated it did not like it
the only reason i didn't give this book 1 star is because i finished it, and i believe 1 star books should be the kind you couldn't bear to read.

terrible writing, terribly predictable, no character development.

don't bother reading it.
Amanda
Mar 31, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
The plot behind this one seemed cute, but it moved really slow and was pretty boring...and kind of weird too. I would not recommend it as I think most people would find it a waste of several hours of their life.
Cassablanca
Nov 15, 2011 Cassablanca rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-books
Kate
Aug 23, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
To describe this book in one word, it would be beige.

There was just nothing striking or amazing about it.

The story began describing the two main characters - Edward and Becca. Edward is a high society type who spends as much time as he can at the Racquet club and jet setting around the world. Becca is a work-a-holic laywer who is on the fast track.

After a tragic accident their lives are turned upside down when a judge grants them both joint custody of six year old Emily.

I don't normally like
Avrelia
I am slightly embarrassed, because I liked it. Anyway, I am not blind, and the book is far from perfect. The most glaring flaw – POV is jumping between characters sometimes several times in the same scene – which is very annoying, even if I wasn’t trained by now to pick it up. Occasionally I had to come back and read a sentence again to figure out whose POV it is now. You get the picture.
Then, the author occasionally goes overboard with descriptions and expositions, but I have to note, that it
Rachel Brand
I was a big chick-lit fan when I was about thirteen (after I - thankfully - left my horror phase behind) and ate up every chick-lit novel which was in my local library or on my mum's shelves. One of these books was 'Legally Blonde,' which I still enjoy after all these years. So it was because of my soft-spot for that book that I picked up another of Amanda Brown's novels, despite having left my chick-lit phase behind years before 2007.

I didn't like the main characters to begin with; they both r
yoli
Dec 23, 2007 yoli rated it it was ok
I want to love the protagonist for something other than her beauty, Ms. Brown. I think you’ve tried that one already, see her last novel Legally Blonde. You learn later that Becca is accomplished, super accomplished in an antithesis of Elle Woods-style accomplished. But male protagonist is not. He is rich, cultured, and utterly at ease doing nothing other than his social obligations that are resultant of the first two attributes. He’s the Elle Woods of the novel. And, of course, they fall in lov ...more
Mikaela
I would have given this book four stars, but I didn't particularly enjoy the ending. I thought that it was left in the air a little bit and could have used an epilogue to show what happened to all the characters.

The story was interesting, and not ENTIRELY predictable, though there was a lot of "waffle" from the authour. At one point in the book, as an experiment, I skipped five or so pages, and ended up in exactly the same place that I left off.

The characters I loved, especially Emily (so CUTE
Mary M
Mar 21, 2013 Mary M rated it it was ok
I took this on vacation to have as a beach read and although it should have been a simple read, there are so many odd names and tidbits thrown at you that it takes a while to slog through. And I think the characters are needlessly uber-wealthy/successful. Would be much more interesting if these were average Joe and Jane thrown into the situation.

Still wondering at what I think was a dropped story branch where a note was made that Emily's parents didn't marry for some reason related to her fathe
Gineke
Sep 11, 2015 Gineke rated it really liked it
It's a fun book. Not at all what I expected, but all the better for it. A great breezy read for a lazy sunday or a commute.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
3.5 stars--Two unrelated singles gain custody of 4 yo Emily. Cute fun story.
Lorelie
Mar 23, 2014 Lorelie rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
Very like-able characters, a bit predictable... but sweet story...
Alethea
Dec 22, 2010 Alethea rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
An enjoyable, quick and somewhat predictable member of the chick-lit genre, Family Trust throws workaholic Becca in with happy-go-lucky, trust-fund son Edward, to become co-guardians of four year old Emily after the tragic death of her parents. Includes a scathing, satire on the parents of upwardly mobile toddlers as Manhattan parents fight to get their tots into the best of the private preschools as well as a more typical romance for an overall fun read (though I wished the ending had been just ...more
Ashley
Dec 07, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books growing up.
Celine
Feb 04, 2016 Celine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light but excellent read. Couldn't put it down for the last 150 pages because I was longing to read the end. Romantic, funny and feel-good.
M
Jan 02, 2015 M rated it really liked it
cute book. predictable. nice break over the December vacation!
Jessica
Jan 25, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
After the first few chapters, I was skeptical of this book. The main characters seemed like a snobby rich boy and a workaholic girl. I almost gave up on it. Then little Emily entered the picture. The little girl changes their lives, bringing them together. Watching them transform into responsible, loving parents made you fall in love with Becca and Edward. And I really hated the "evil witch" Bunny. This story reminded me of the movie "Life As We Know It" with Katherine Heigl.
Steph
Jul 31, 2009 Steph rated it liked it
Christine
Jan 19, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Becca, a high powered businesswoman, suddenly gains custody of a 4-year-old girl when her college friend and husband die. Edward, an ultra rich New Yorker, also gains custody of the girl when his high school and college friend and wife die. Edward almost marries the evil conniving Bunny, but realizes he loves Becca, whom he just met while co-parenting the little girl. Cute story.
  • SAHM I Am
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Deep Blue Eyes and Other Lies
  • It Had to Be You
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Making Minty Malone
  • Call Waiting
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Mating Rituals of the North American WASP
  • Just Say Yes
  • Love Lives
  • Not Ready for Mom Jeans
  • High Maintenance
  • I Do (Love Stories For Young Adults, #35)
  • Some Nerve
  • The Waitress
  • Love Under Cover (Jennifer Hunter, #2)
  • Maneater
219605
There is more than one author with this name

Born to parents who were both successful lawyers, Amanda graduated from Arizona State University in 1993. She then proceeded to study at Stanford Law School, where she compiled funny letters and stories based on her experiences into a first manuscript that would become Legally Blonde.
Since the success of the 2001 movie, she has released her second book,
More about Amanda Brown...