Start by marking “Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)

Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  7,560 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Little critter and his mother take a trip to the city exploring the department stores and museums.
Published October 9th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Just Me and My Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Me and My Mom

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
289th out of 3,077 books — 4,600 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
37th out of 303 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie Koerner
Grade/interest level: PreK-2nd
Reading level: 460L
Genre: Comedy, picture book

Main characters: Little Critter and his mom
Setting: the bus, the city, a department store
POV: Little Critter's

Summary:
The Little Critter series focusses on a young boy who goes on all kinds of typical adventures that young children can relate to. In this book, Little Critter spends the day with his mom. The two take the bus into the city to go shopping and look at the museums. While in the city Little Critter gets in to
Chelsie
Little Critter goes on a fun-filled and very tiring day out with his mother. This story goes into detail of the activities the pair do, the areas they visit, and the encounters they have with issues every normal child experiences with their mother. Although none of the problematic tasks were intentional, this story does a great job at showing how important making mistakes are. Plus, the love that is shared between a mother and child conquer any misunderstandings faced! The genres are realistic f ...more
Grace Bradley
In “Just Me and My Mom” the little critter goes on a train ride with his mom for the day. He experiences all kinds of new things including visiting a museum, a hot dog stand, and an aquarium. These were all things that he had never seen or done before. The critter goes all over town learning all sorts of social norms with his mom while traveling through the city. She tells him that on the train he must sit close to her so he doesn't get lost, and in the museum he can look around but he can't tou ...more
Jasmine Burk
This book is about Little Critter going out on the town with his mother. It talks about them going to the museum, shopping, etc. This book is good for children, and gives extra fun by hiding a cricket in each picture. I would use this in my classroom, first because it is one of my favorite childhood books, and second because it has good pictures and good moral lessons.
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Critter is such a troublesome child. Although in the end Momma never once loses her temper with him; a very patient woman. Although the story line is skued the whole story is told like if a child was explaining their day to somebody who wasn’t there: all the exciting parts.

The story is cute.The Little Critters series is always a family favorite next to The Bernstein Bears. The pages are filled with colors and pictures depicting the actual story line. A great book for one-on-one story-time where
♥ Sarah ♥
I remember Mercer Mayer books as a kid so this was a fun find. Fun book that I think any kid or person who's been a kid at some point can relate to. :)

Age: ?
Lesson: Not sure. Critter is pretty darn mischievous and kind of gets away with it. lol But it's fun.
Purchased: 10 cents at Salvation Army
Brandee Osborn
This book also has an old, probably outdated, disc that included games and a walk through of the book. I loved the interactive game with my book. The game would read the text and then you could click on the characters and they would do or say something. It was a lot of fun and helped to spark my interest in reading. All the Little Critter books have wonderful adventures. This book is about Little Critter's day with his mom when they go to the city. It goes page by page of what they do together, ...more
Kat
Basic plot: Little Critter goes on a trip to the city with his mom.

Little boys don't always have the same idea of fun activity as their mothers do. As a mom, I understand this. This story continues the Mercer Mayer tradition of simple language combined with subtle facial expressions and details in the art which creates an effective story for both adults and children. It's also a bit of a different story for the two age groups because of the juxtaposition of words and pictures. A good story overa
Lauren Derosa
I really enjoyed this book, and I think it would be appropriate under the category of early readers books for children around ages 4-7. I found this book interesting because it is told from the perspective of the little boy, who is the main character in the book. The book is about his day with his mom. He tells the story of them going to different places together and seems to get in trouble for certain things which in his view, are not anything to get in trouble for.
Moe
I found a box of these at Donna's and read them all, remembering how much I used to like them. Now looking back at them, they're super-duper easy to read. In every single page, there's always a little creature like a grasshopper, spider, or mouse. My favorite was A Bad Dream, but when I was a kid my favorite was "Just Me and My Grandma" because they went to the beach and it was funny.
Gala
My daughter loved Mercer Mayer books. I would read this story over and over about Just Me and My Mom. I guess she felt like it was always just me and her because I was a stay at home mom. I took her to the library for visits and other adventures like the story "Just Me and My Mom" This little boy in the story thinks he is taking care of his mom and how she needs him when really he needs her.
Bailey Jane
I bought a collection of these books the other day for my almost 6-month old daughter, and this is the first one we read. SHE LOVED IT!! The illustrations are really busy and colorful, and a storyline that when she's a little bit older will be valuable I'm sure (haha). It's also short enough to hold her attention which is great. But we read it twice since she seemed so into it!
Chelsea
Little Critter goes to the city for the day with his mom. They go to the history museum, an art museum, the aquarium, a nice restaurant, and a nice clothing store. Little Critter causes trouble everywhere they go, but is oblivious - thinks he is taking care of his mother ("I held mom's hand so she wouldn't be scared").
Brittany Bean
This is an enjoyable book. I feel that all the students would be able to relate to this book because it tells of all the things he did with her mother. This would allow students to think of things they have done with their mother/ caregiver. This would be a good book for the classroom.
Rachel
I loved Mercer Mayer books when I was a kid and I love being able to share them with my son. This book was a cute story about Little Critter going to town with his mom and having some crazy adventures, but ultimately having a great time together.
Tara
I liked this book. The illustrations are classic Little Critter. They're a little more cluttered than some of the other Little Critter books. It's a nice story of Little Critter's day out with mom and some of the fun (trouble) he gets up to.
Meredith
I love Mercer Mayer's books. I think they really capture what kids go through and how they think. The illustrations are delightful, too. Everytime I read them, I see something new. This one gets read multiple times a week in our house.
Andrea
Little Critter and his mom go into town to buy him a suit and to visit some places in the city. The museum, a fancy restaurant, and the aquarium aren't very fond of little critter but he always has a way of looking on the bright side.
Sharon
The little Critter and his mom spend a day on the town, enjoying each others company. I love the Little Critter series. If there's a lesson to learn, Mercer Mayer has a story for it! Kids love him!(:.
Yuyingchao
Again, the illustrations are classic Little Critter.
I just love all of these series books.
a cute story with a cute idea, it teaches reat morals and ideals for everyone!
highly recommend.
Erica Mayberry
I like this book because it explores the family structures. It allows for a nonconformist type of family to be recognized as normal.
Finn Pennekamp
This book is great. It's a fun adventure, and I like the dry way they handle the fact that this young boy is terribly behaved, but he thinks he's awesome. Classy read.
Lidra West
Little critter takes ous on another adventure this time with his mother. He and his mother take a big adventure out in the city. Fun book for children of all ages.
Lauren
This book is great for children especially when they learn to start reading. It teaches great morals and ideals for everyone to have and great general life lessons.
J-Lynn
The little critter goes with his mom to town and gets into all sorts of trouble, but the book is from his point of view and he just thinks it's a bunch of fun.
Beth
Stereotypes the mother who gets a bit more impatient then I would like her to but he does do a lot of mischievous things. Overall a good read.
It is always fun to have one-on-one time with Mom. I love how Mercer Mayer writes a child's perspective so well.
Heather
There is nothing wrong with this book, I just tend not to care for the illustrations in these books.
Gray
We are HUGE little Critter fans and make sure to check out at least one a week from the library.
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet