Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  43,842 ratings  ·  3,124 reviews
When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's...more
Mass Market Paperback, 260 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Ace (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Bites, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
6th out of 2,361 books — 8,742 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
5th out of 2,117 books — 4,192 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling

10 Reasons to Love Kate Daniels:

1. She doesn't take any crap from anyone.
2. She's sarcastic and occasionally rude and always hilarious. Who else would greet a snarly Beast Lord with "Here, kitty, kitty...?"
3. She knows all the rules of diplomacy when dealing with shapeshifters, vampires, and other supernaturals.
4. She knows how to break all those rules and commands respect in spite of it.
5. She admits when she makes mistakes.
6. She's comfortable with herself and who she is. But she's lo...more
Kat Kennedy
Ever ventured out into the world of dating and discovered that it was disproportionately populated with assholes? Did you ever look around and say, "Where the hell are all these assholes coming from?"

Well, if Curran turned your oven on then the answer is possibly: You!

Yes, that's right. Assholes who have the common traits of narcissism, marchiavellianism and pyscopathy according to recent studies, score more with the ladies. It's called the Dark Triad (I know - best name ever) and in many respec...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
About twelve years ago, there was a little girl named Danielle who read a book called Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton, and was seduced into the dark, enchanting world of urban fantasy. She went on to read more urban fantasy than she could shake a stick at. Over the years, she lost touch with Anita Blake, and mourned the loss of a tough-as-nails, kickass, urban fantasy heroine to join for exciting, dangerous, and magical adventures.

Recently, she finally picked up a book called Magic Bite...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
This is my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E series.

And that's kind of a big deal. For example, if you asked me what my second favorite series was, I'd have to give you a top 5 list (maybe top 10). BUT Kate Daniels is unquestionably my #1 favorite.

I'm rereading the series, b/c the new book is out next Tuesday, and I think this is my fifth (or sixth?) time. I typically can't reread a series every year, b/c I get bored, and I thought that might be a problem this time, but NOPE, it's not.

This is also the series I...more
Tatiana
Apr 29, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather, Penny
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
I've read enough urban fantasy to know that the genre is extremely formulaic, just like, let's say, the genre of historical romance. Basically, you are aware of what exactly you are going to get from the get-go. The difficulty here is to find a series whose standard mix of ass-kicking heroine/amusing cast of secondary characters/lore/mystery/paranormal hunk that suits your personal preferences. Unfortunately, I will have to put "Magic Bites" into the pile of urban fantasy I doubt I will ever get...more
Lora
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Well . . . damn. This didn't turn out as I'd planned. While reading this I kept thinking to myself, Just go with three stars, almost everyone else you know has. The series will get better as it goes, just as everyone says, then you can rave and give them four. Although there were plenty things that bothered me about this, there were still more things that I liked. In fact, I would say that this surpassed my expectations.

But let us get the bad stuff out of the way first: I...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Five reasons why owning a Beast Lord would kick ass

1. Getting dinner has never been this easy. I always have a hard time finding a good place to order my food from. Order, yes, since I’m too lazy to go out sometimes. Having a Beast Lord with me could save the day. Think of eating some yum roast whenever you want. You just say “Hey Curran, don’t you feel like eating some rabbit?” and he just goes and gets it for you. Freshest rabbit out there and it’s all yours.

Nah, I kid the rabbit catching thin...more
julio
Mar 26, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: MostlyDelores
...and then you read a book by a pro, and you're all: fuuuuuuuuuck.

s'not perfect.

acute symptoms of firstbookinaseriesitis.

but lemme just fanboi about the writing for a minute, ok?

propulsive plotting: one thing leads naturally to another. the solution to one problem creates another. the solution to that creates yet another.

the false-denoument was a nice touch, but a little too early—a quick glance at my reading progress made it easy to dismiss the neatly 'solved' mystery immediately.

but man.

you s...more
Evgeny
Aug 20, 2014 Evgeny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Evgeny by: •Erin• (Paperback Stash)
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

By the time this book was published, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series was already well-known with quite a lot of writers trying to copy it with the various degree of success. I am willing to bet any money Kate Daniels was inspired by Dresden Files, directly or indirectly. For this reason I will compare these two.

Here we have a female protagonist Kate Daniels who happened to be a mercenary who makes her living cleaning up magical problems. You see, she...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Okay, okay... I admit the book was good and I was terribly wrong for not reading it sooner! All my fears were misplaced!!

Possible Spoilers coming up

“He finished the bandage and was examining it critically.
"You know those things are unreliable." His voice held just a touch of reproach.
“Eleven out of twelve work fine. I’d say that’s better chances than getting an orgasm with a blind date and women still try.”

Kate is brilliant! A little cocky at the beginning of the book but she gets over it afte...more
Heather
Brace yourselves, this review is a bit long winded. I devoured Magic Bites, but I’m still unsure of how I feel about it as a whole, and it's nearly impossible to describe.

What I liked:
The heroine. Kate has a dry humor, she can even be a bit of a smart ass, but she knows when to hold her tongue and she doesn’t push too hard or too far. She’s an ass kicking, sword welding badass and yet, she is remarkably down to earth. She has an astounding wealth of knowledge about the magic saturated world she...more
Angie
I tossed Magic Bites into the my last Amazon order, mostly because of the Patricia Briggs quotes on both front and back covers as well as several positive blog reviews I'd read. The most fascinating thing about this book is that the author's name, Ilona Andrews, is actually a combination of Ilona and Andrew Gordon's first names. They are the husband and wife team who create the Kate Daniels books. That is to say, together they come up with the characters and plot, then Ilona writes the book, a...more
Zeek
More of a 3 and half star really. Although I did like Magic Bites, it suffered from freshman-itis. The world building was a bit convoluted and difficult to nail down, but that's mostly because its an intricate world Andrew's building and one like no other. (I also get the feeling the book was reedited for page count with, unfortunately, world building becoming the bloody casualty.)

Still the tale of Kate Daniels and her search for the being that not only killed a beloved friend but also is cutti...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
The Kate Daniels story is very intriguing and left a lot of unanswered questions but that's a good thing for a series. At first, I was in the dark ~ A LOT but then I found out about the prequel and read that. (A Questionable Client in the anthology Dark and Stormy Knights) It explained a few things as to why the world is the way it is and a little bit about Kate.

Kate does remind me a little of how Anita Blake was in the beginning especially all the blood and gross stuff. I still don't know what...more
Maggie
Apr 04, 2013 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle, Carla, Steph, Rachel, Angie, etc
When your entire blogroll recommends a book and your co-blogger threatens public shaming until you read said book, what do you do? Well, you fall asleep the first two times you try to read the book. I mean, the main character was drinking Boone's Farm Hard Lemonade. FFS. How am I supposed to take a mercenary seriously when she drinks something that high schoolers barely get drunk off of? Not only that, it takes place in a future Atlanta where people are driving buggies with horses? Because of ma...more
Armina

3.5 STARS

Second attempt at reading this - quite successful! Not bad at all. Review to come shortly.

8 August, 2014

Since everybody and their mother are reading(re-reading) this lately and with the last freshly released book in the series, I decided to give it a second chance. Ah, the pressure! ^_^

I'm happy to share this read with Eilonwy (first read), Asya (re-read) and Evgeny (first read).
Beanbag Love
Well, another new addiction. I've already ordered the second installment used from Amazon. I didn't want to waste the time it takes to troll the UBS, so I went ahead and swallowed the shipping. It's worth it.

Andrews's "Kate Daniels" series takes place in and near Atlanta. It's a little confusing as to the time frame because nothing is as we know it. Magic has erupted and eaten away normal life, but it seems humans and beasts have adapted and make an uneasy go of it.

Kate is a mercenary who hunts...more
Erica Ravenclaw
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

Curran. Want. Curran. Want. Curran. Want. Curran. Want. Curran. Want.Curran. Want.Curran. Want.

photo tumblr_m92nmyw4rD1r939wko1_500_zps4919aa60.gif

BACK TO THE BOOK!

I had a really difficult time settling into this new world as I.A. wrote on a need to know basis. Frankly, need to know basis style writing typically annoys the shit out of me. Why are you making up words and not telling me what they mean? How am I supposed to understand the world you have created if you are not explaining it to m...more
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
I'd been putting this book off for a while because a lot of people compared Kate to Anita Blake and I didn't think I could handle dealing with another emotionally crippled main character, even if she was a bad ass. While I agree that there are a lot of similarities between the two (ass kickery, gross amounts of natural magical talent, smart aleckness) I was pleasantly surprised that Kate didn't come with Anita's pitfalls. Yes there was some boo-hooing and some 'why me' but it happened towards th...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/09/17/b...

Hooray! From now on, whenever someone asks me if I have read any Ilona Andrews, no longer do I have to look down shame-facedly at my shoes and admit, “No, but I’ve been meaning to for the longest time, I swear!”

Of course, when it comes to the authors’ books and the question of where to start, for me it had to be the quintessential Kate Daniels series. In a world where technology has progressed too much and too fast, the vo...more
Liz*
3.5 Stars

"Dar Vorona. Gift of the Raven. I am my father's gift."
"The raven is holding a bloody sword."
"I never said it was a nice gift.”

Last year I read Darkfever. Why? because people kept saying I HAD to read it. I had my doubts but happily obliged and learnt my lesson. Best reading of the year.

This weeks, Kate Daniels's been the star. So like a good student, I took Magic Bites and read it non stop till the very end. There're fantastic reviews out there that will convince you to read this. I'...more
Werner
Dec 04, 2013 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy fans and action heroine fans who can tolerate some bad language
Since I'm a fan of both supernatural fiction and strong, kick-butt heroines, it isn't surprising that this series has been on my radar for a long time. This past year, I've also been exploring the urban fantasy sub-genre, one I've long been curious to sample in more depth, much more than ever before. So, I jumped at the chance to read the series opener as a buddy read with a friend. I'm thoroughly glad that I did!

As the Goodreads description notes, "Ilona Andrews" is the pen name of a husband-an...more
Angela
20 July 2014: $1.99 on Kindle

This is my favorite series ever - the first book, some people have trouble with (I loved it from the start), but it's SO worth it!!! The entire series is on sale!!!

Review:
Kate Daniels is a mercenary for the Guild. She’s having a bit of trouble making ends meet when she gets a visit suggesting that she get in contact with her guardian. But when she tries she gets stonewalled. And then she finds out he’s dead, killed by an apparently unknown magical being.

Now Kate’s o...more
Mike (the Paladin)
And again my rating is the dreaded...3. I had one commenter very upset about books that got/get a 3 rating. He sort of felt everything should get a kind of "pass/fail" rating...4/5 or 1. The problem is that all books AREN'T 5s or 1s. This is a good example.

If you read my profile you know that for a book to get a 5 from me it means "I love it" it means the book is, if not on my favorites list a contender to be on it. Therefore a "4" rating means the book is very good, it might even be exceptional...more
♥Rachel♥
I listened to this on audio on my commutes back and forth from work. I liked this story but it didn't blow me away. I expected this, as most of my GR and bloggy friends warned me in advance to be patient, because the story only gets better.

Where the story lacked for me:

1. Little or no romance. Hints of things to come but really nothing in this installment. I'm a romance junkie so of course this is a disappointment.

2. I still really have no clear picture of Kate: who she is, what her powers are,...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
By now everyone knows I have a soft spot for vampires. Sorcerers are great, weres are amazing (well, unless they are wererats – that’s just gross), I’m scared of faeries, but vampires I love - they are beautiful and deadly, my kind of monsters. Don’t ask me to explain, that’s between me and my therapist. So why Ilona Andrews chose to make them disgusting and mindless (with talons, no less) is beyond me. That’s between the author and HER therapist, I guess. I bet hers is much more expensive anyw...more
Mel
In this first book of the Kate Daniels series we are introduced to a near future where the world (we get to see Atlanta) alternates between 'tech' and 'magic'. The authors' world is original and quite different from what we're used to (vampires are not sexy!).

The heroine is likable and, even though we don't really get to know her as readers, she does show an occasional vulnerable side. There is quite some mystery surrounding her and it's hinted there is way more than meets the eye when it comes...more
missEvi [can't commit to a book]
Mar 03, 2014 missEvi [can't commit to a book] rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Certainly not the bitch at the office you hate

I was thinking for a while about writing a proper review for one of my top 5 series ever and I've decided that I simply can not. After 7 rereads, fully engrossed in Kate's universe, the things I want to say are quite possible spoilers and they are quite certainly ravings of a fangirl. I can talk for hours about every single detail and I am sure I can convince you to read it. But, the thing is, that most of the time that happens, people get disappointed. They paint a picture in their heads and it...more
Shandra {The Happy New Mrs}
Actual rating 3.5 stars. No spoilers.

ashamed photo:  Ashamed.gif

So I know a lot of people love, adore, and worship this series. I'm actually sort of afraid of having random crap thrown at me for not absolutely loving this book. LOL. I was warned about this book's weaknesses, so I didn't hate them. I didn't mind being dumped into the world without much guidance. But what I didn't like was the terribly complicated descriptions of magic and different species and what not. Around half way through, I noticed I was scowlin...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars Re-read 25Jun2014 before the release of Magic Breaks

I forgot the entire plot to this book and it was like reading it all over again. Sure I remembered ALL the interactions between Kate and Curran and I remember meeting Derek for the first time. But I had totally forgotten who the bad guy was and why. I guess we all know what I really cared about. I even forgot there was a Zombie Dragon!!! A freaking Zombie Dragon and I had totally forgotten about it….bad Robin…Bad.

This was my first Ilo...more
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Curran's POV free download 6 49 17 hours, 34 min ago
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Casting for Magic Bites 6 55 Sep 18, 2014 05:26PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Post Questions here for the HANGOUT SEPTEMBER 30nd AT 7pm PST *spoilers* 22 175 Sep 18, 2014 08:08AM
The Booklings: Kate Daniels 63 24 Aug 05, 2014 08:23AM
Book Series like this 45 416 May 27, 2014 05:12AM
What did you think? 21 152 May 21, 2014 12:28PM
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be...more
More about Ilona Andrews...
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) On the Edge (The Edge, #1)

“Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...” 539 likes
“It's a reflex. Hear a bell, get food. See an undead, throw a knife. Same thing, really.” 402 likes