Start by marking “Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer” as Want to Read:
Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Whether you are looking to freelance while working in another field, or support yourself as a full-time writer, here is a tried-and-true blueprint to success! Covering everything from knowing when to take the plunge to negotiating publishing contracts, aspiring freelance writers will discover proven guidance and inside information for finding appropriate markets, developin...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Allworth Press

To ask other readers questions about Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer

Cleffairy
Published at: Over A Cuppa Tea

Review date 8th Feb 2011

Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=4713

I'm a freelance writer myself, and therefore, when I saw this ARC of 'Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer' by Moira Allen available for review in Netgalley, I knew I had to have it, by hook or by crook. After all, knowledge and tips on how to start/ expand your career as a freelance writer is not exactly easily available publicly.

Some of the tips in this book is one of those best kept secrets in...more
Daniel G.
If you've ever said you wanted to be a freelance writer, you know that you soon come up with more questions than you can easily find answers to.

For anyone in a nonfiction writing business, Moira Allen answers all those troubling questions: how to get started, setting goals, finding ideas, researching markets, writing successful query letters, and then the mundane but necessary details like record keeping and rights and contracts.

I'd had a successful and prolific freelance writing career many yea...more
Jaclyn
I have to admit, I didn't get all the way through this one. It provides a good foundation for extreme beginners, but for me it was far too detailed in the basics to hold my attention. Allen points out that you needn't have much experience to get started, and I think this book is best suited for those who do not yet label themselves Writer and are not very savvy with computers. Unfortunately (or fortunately in any other context) I already have a home office set up nicely, I'm very tech-savvy, and...more
josh
Sep 26, 2012 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all writers
Recommended to josh by: shelf @ UAPL
one of the better "how to write" books i've read and i will definitely be purchasing it in the near future (i borrowed from the library for my 1st read through).

there were a great deal of useful tips, examples and suggestions packed into these pages and they're paying off already. since starting this book, i've fired off 2 query letters and had one article picked up on spec (awaiting to see if it will be published now) and have found a renewed drive to search through my life for article ideas an...more
Ruby
This is one of the most comprehensive books I have ever read on the subject of freelance writing. It covers many topics that other books do not such as the different types of freelance work now available, the types of copyrights/rights that a writer may be asked to give over, how to handle taxes, how to find interviewees, the different types of interviews and how to handle each one, and much more. This is definitely a must-read for anyone who is considering entering the freelance writing world,...more
Stevie
Moira Allen's guidebook for beginning freelancers is easy to read and covers the basics of freelance writing. She focuses more on how to sell articles to magazines, but she also covers some basics about writing and publishing non-fiction books. She gives a lot of solid advice, and the book helpfully mentions many resources for writers.
Nicole
Unlike Bly's book which was all about how awesome he is, Allen's book gives actual advice on how to get started. And instead of the usual cop-out of "I'm not a lawyer or accountant," there's a section on tax implications.
Eric
This book covers a broad range of topics and gives plenty of advice for getting started in the freelance world. I think this book would be a great starting point for anyone thinking about pursuing a freelance writing gig.
Barbara Clark
This book is a MUST for someone that wants to sell their writing! I love the way she goes step by step though the process of breaking in to the freelance world.Her writing is easy to understand and her advice is very precise.
Jared Gillins
May 30, 2013 Jared Gillins marked it as to-read
Shelves: writing
I think this needs to go back on the shelf for another day. Until I at least get a book proposal together, pursuing freelance writing is just a distraction.
Trace
Jam packed with info... I think I'll be referring to this resource many times over the next year or two....
L.J. Kentowski
Very informative and helpful. Easy to read and understand.
Rob Cantrall
Decent reference book.
Holli B
my-books
Chris Meads
Chris Meads marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Terrance S. Whittemore
Terrance S. Whittemore marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ashley Reid
Ashley Reid marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Creative Reviews: Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer 1 2 Jun 24, 2012 07:24AM
Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet The Writer's Guide to Queries, Pitches and Proposals Writing.com: Creative Internet Strategies to Advance Your Writing Career Teleios: Recovery Through Christ for Adult Children