Start by marking “Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics” as Want to Read:
Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics

Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics (Graphic Classics #14)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Gothic Classics presents Ann Radcliffe's archetypal gothic novel The Mysteries of Udopho, adapted by Antonella Caputo and Carlo Vergara. Plus: Jane Austen's gothic parody Northanger Abbey" by Trina Robbins and Anne Timmons; and Poe's "The Oval Portrait" by Malaysian illustrator Leong Wan Kok. Also "At the Gate," a ghost story with dogs by Myla Jo Closser, illustrated by Sh ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Eureka Productions (first published May 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Classics, Volume 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Classics, Volume 14

Bry
Carmilla - 5 STARS
By Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Illustrated by Lisa K. Weber

The art for this story is be far the best in the anthology. Lisa Weber's illustrations are smooth, curvy, layered, and detailed. The characters are innocent appearing, voluptuous, and creamy looking. The extreme proportions such as the large eyes, tiny hands and waists draw attention, and focus to the subtle expressions and movements she gives the characters. What really sets it apart though is that the finished product is
Nicola Mansfield
My actual rating is 4.5* as the last story just didn't do it for me. Out of 5 stories and one poem, the first 4 stories are classic Gothic tales by the great authors of the genre from their period in time. Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu was fantastic; a vampire story which influenced Stoker. I love this prolific Victorian short story writer and this was my favourite in the collection. Then comes Ann Radcliffe's "The Mysteries of Udolpho", a classic of the genre and considered one of the first s ...more
David

I wish I had been more entertained by this book. Gothic stories are my favourites, but many of the elements I love best seem to have been missing here: That creepy aura that goes with them as you discover something is /wrong/... and the lovely eye-candy of the various eras that they were written about...

They managed to take some truly unsettling, even terrifying stories and reduce them to the old "and then this happened. then this happened. then they suspected a bad thing, but this happened. the
Pato Myers
I did get this for one story specifically, but I read them all and enjoyed it.
Candice
Ehh, overall it was okay. Definitely not my favorite graphic adaptations.
Suzanne
Some of the stories were better displayed than others but overall it was an interesting and quick read. My favorite story was definitely "The Mysteries of Udolpho." But "At the Gate" was also a lovely story to picture. I would like to think that my best furry friends will be waiting to greet me at the gate.
Cecilia
This is an interesting book. Some of the novels are very well adapted, but I feel that in other cases reading the original novel is so much better. Great illustrations on "Carmilla". The story that I like best was "The Mysteries of Udolpho". A good way to get an intro into the World of the Gothic Novel :).
Heather
My class really admired the version of Carmilla in this volume -- we had a great time discussing the choices the illustrator made to capture the spirit of the original text. I like the version of Poe's "The Oval Portrait" included in this volume as well.
Julie
A collection of Gothic literature done in graphic novel form. Presumably to garner a new audience. The stories were adapted OK. I wish there was more suspense in the Poe. I do like the way Northanger Abbey referenced the previous story.
Ed
A chilling suite of yarns based on gothic fiction classics. An easy read. Polish it off on a windy night with raindrops and swaying branches tapping on the windows, and feeble moonlight struggling through the swiftly moving clouds.
Megan
Carmilla was 5 STARS, brilliant story telling and graphics.
I also really enjoyed Mysteries of Udolpho.
the rest meh....
I got this one specifically for Northanger Abbey, but it was pretty blah, which the actual book is not.

Annelise
Fun graphic version of a few classic (and not classic) gothic tales. An okay, if not mediocre, intro into the gothic genre. Carmilla be Le Fanu and The Oval Portrait by Poe were the most deliciously creepy.
Maerdi
Cute concept, but I suspect all of the original works have been dreadfully oversimplified, with the most important bits cast aside in favor of that which is visually arresting.
Scott
Sigh. Outside of Le Fanu and Poe, the other stories were boring and drawn in a style akin to the old Prince Valiant comics. Not at all what I expected.
Jenny
It was nice to have a quick way of reading several gothic stories that I am only mildly curious about. The graphic novel form suited the stories.
Erika
Not sure if it's the graphic novel format or just that I'm not that much into gothic novels - but this wasn't my favorite.
Marti
Loved seeing these stories illustrated. They made me want to check out some of the actual novels, which I did! :)
Lisa
Jan 09, 2010 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
Great book! 5 excellent stories! I bought it for Northanger Abbey, but really enjoyed the others as well.
Phil
liked the art in carmilla,cute storie.the rest of the stories were ok.
Ice Queen Wanderer •The Cursed Prophetess•
Carmilla was great, same with The Oval Portait, but was ruined by the others.
Angie
Lesbian vampires under the same cover as Jane Austen. Oh my.
Charllinee
this will be the best book i have read all year.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
Wasn't especially thrilled by this.
Sara
The art was slightly elementary.
Ebster Davis
Ebster Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Myk Pilgrim
Myk Pilgrim marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 1: Edgar Allan Poe
  • Dracula (All-Action Classics, #1)
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3
  • Three Vampire Tales: Dracula, Carmilla, and The Vampyre (New Riverside Editions)
  • The Nightmare Factory, Vol. 1
  • Tapping the Vein (Tapping the Vein #1-5)
  • Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Nelson (Hardback)
  • Marvel Fairy Tales
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4)
  • The Great Gatsby : a graphic adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • How to Write Tales of Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Fantasy Hall of Fame
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2011 Edition
  • Chronicles of Wormwood

Graphic Classics (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 1: Edgar Allan Poe
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 7: Bram Stoker
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 8: Mark Twain
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 9: Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 10: Horror Classics
Graphic Classics, Volume 4: H.P. Lovecraft Graphic Classics, Volume 10: Horror Classics Graphic Classics, Volume 11: O. Henry Graphic Classics, Volume 24: Native American Classics Graphic Classics, Volume 3: H.G. Wells