Start by marking “L'inventore di sogni” as Want to Read:
L'inventore di sogni

L'inventore di sogni

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  2,894 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
Un bambino sogna a occhi aperti e immagina di far sparire l'intera famiglia, un po' per noia e un po' per dispetto, con un'immaginaria Pomata Svanilina; oppure sogna di poter togliere al gatto di casa la pelliccia, di farne uscire l'anima felina e di prenderne il posto, vivendone per qualche giorno la vita, soltanto in apparenza sonnacchiosa; oppure sogna che le bambole de ...more
Paperback, L'Arcipelago #10, 124 pages
Published 2002 by Einaudi (first published 1994)

Lynda
Marmite/

I once heard Ian McEwan described as a Marmite author; a distinctive taste that, in line with the Marmite marketing slogan, you either "Love it or hate it."

I must admit, I've had my share of "hit and miss" with McEwan but I did enjoy The Daydreamer, which is his first work of fiction for children. The book is described however as appealing to adults as well, due in part to the fact that it is an "adult" Peter who tells the story of his childhood.

The Daydreamer is about 10 year Peter Fortune who
Cat
Jun 05, 2010 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this edition with the cat on the cover! McEwan writes spare, playful, and meditative prose in this book for children and for adults meditating on what it means to be a child and what it means to lose childhood but not to lose imagination. Each chapter centers on the relationship between the solitary child and other people and creatures. I like that solitude, perception, and imaginative leaps cause the child to bridge the gap between himself and others. Instead of suspecting tha ...more
PyaeSoneOo
Jun 05, 2015 PyaeSoneOo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wake up from dreaming an adventure? Well……this book is about what Peter Fortune, the kid, dreams. The amusing adventures took place in Peter’s dreams. The author described the actions well and very clear. This book is totally fun to read. The adventures and the lessons plus the humorous actions will entertain you a lot. Readers of fantasy will probably like to read this book.
Frances
Feb 04, 2009 Frances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the preface to The Daydreamer Ian McEwan asks if we adults really mean it when we say we like children’s literature or are we merely “speaking up for, and keeping the lines open to, our lost, nearly forgotten selves?” Mind you when he wrote this it was before the whole Harry Potter phenomenon – and there were plenty of adults who enjoyed curling up with that series. Still, the appeal to adults of Harry Potter might have been as much about the finely constructed plot and suspenseful narrative ...more
Thandar
This book was one of the strangest book I've encounter. I liked it too because it taught me new phrases and vocabulary.
Lily
May 02, 2015 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New adventures in every chapter!

It is about an eleven years old boy named Peter's imagination. Sometimes his imagination would be seemed as ridiculous but he is just eleven years old so they would be quite acceptable but believe me they are so funny. Swapping bodies with a cat, making his family vanish by rubbing the vanishing cream all over them, planning to catch the burglar by himself (like in the Home Alone movie) and swapping his body with his Aunt's child through his wild imagination.

The
Yamin Eaindray
Apr 29, 2015 Yamin Eaindray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm stunned by this young boy's unwonted, unrestricted, inventiveness and imagination that throws me off completely. This book was much better than I expected it to be because admittedly, I judged the book by its cover which is the wrong thing to do. Somehow, the way the author puts what Peter is thinking about makes me actually mentally experience what he's feeling, which is a sweeping effect. I highly recommend this book to everybody in all ages, especially if you like a wild, spectacular book ...more
Will
Mar 23, 2015 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, kids
A set of 7 short – very short - stories concerning a young boy, Peter, who can never keep his head together. At first I didn’t realize that it was a children’s book as it is introduced by Peter as an adult, when he realizes he was not a “difficult” child, just a bit of a loner and a daydreamer.

“But this is Ian McEwan”, I was thinking, “it can’t end well”. All of the stories do, however, in fact I was a little disappointed that nothing bad happened, I was expecting at least a touch of Roald Dahl
Jared Della Rocca
"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." 1 Corinthians 13:11

As we get older, we tend to get more and more bogged down with the day-to-day. We don't have as much time for fantasy as we devote most of our thoughts to reality. That sheen of endless possibilities has worn off as we are trained by the world to focus on the here and now.

As a parent of two little kids, I'm able to get a small peek into
Bookaholic
Dacă mergi într-o librărie și zărești pe un raft Visătorul, cunoscând măcar o parte dintre cărțile anterioare ale lui Ian McEwan, vei citi coperta a patra, o vei cumpăra (pentru că, nu-i așa, îți place cum scrie autorul britanic) și vei pleca fericit/-ă cu ea acasă. Dar absolut nimic nu te va pregăti pentru ceea ce va urma când vei deschide copertele cărții. Poate doar dacă ai citit despre volum anterior (poate chiar aici, pe Bookaholic :) ). Chiar și-așa, știind câteva lucruri despre carte, mie ...more
Alisea
Apr 02, 2016 Alisea rated it really liked it
Libriccino apparentemente destinato ai ragazzi nel quale vengono raccontati i sogni di Peter Fortune, un ragazzino di dieci anni come tanti, con una famiglia amorevole, ma con una poderosa fantasia che spesso prende il sopravvento sul reale e che, lontano dall'essere una fuga dalla realtà, si trasforma in uno strumento per crescere.
E' un libro rivolto al bambino che siamo stati e che ancora abita dentro di noi, è una storia lieve, densa di magia che mi ha conquistata
Cecily
Aug 19, 2008 Cecily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of related stories/chapters, telling incidents from the life of a boy of 10 - 11. Peter is a daydreamer and thus the boundaries between fact and fiction are often intriguingly blurred. But 3 of the seven stories are body-swaps and you guess the gist of the one called “Vanishing Cream” from its title, so although the characters are quite good and the storytelling somewhat original, the stories themselves are not. The one called “The Bully” would work well as a standalone piece and co ...more
Deepika Ramesh
Dec 28, 2015 Deepika Ramesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please pardon my adverbs, and adjectives. This book is supremely awww-inducing, and heartwarming. My blog on it here: http://worncorners.com/2015/12/28/the...
Thè Yati
A great way of playing with adjective and adverbs! Although it attracts me a lot at the beginning of every chapter, it bores me out in the middle of a new opening. I struggled a bit in understanding their unique way of using phrases. This book takes slightly longer time to finish compared to the other books I have read as i cannot concentrate well because it's not under my favorite categories.

This short story is about a boy always enjoy to spend all of him time daydreaming. The people around him
Konstantin
Aug 30, 2016 Konstantin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-adore
[rating = A]
This is not just a children's book. It can certainly make you feel like a child again, but it has very universal messages about life. Peter is the star character, masterful in his domain of puerile activities and imagination. He goes out into the world with one fact and gains the knowledge of a plethora in a single day/experience. Cats, burglars, fights and words, beaches and first loves, bodily transplants and draws with vanishing cream. It is a very exciting book and easy to read.
Guido
Sono sempre felicissimo quando posso abbandonarmi di nuovo ai sogni ad occhi aperti dell'infanzia. McEwan li inventa da adulto, ma si avvicina davvero tanto alla qualità della fantasia di un bambino, non credo lo si potrebbe fare molto meglio di così. Con dolcezza, in brevi episodi, accompagna Peter alle soglie del definitivo abbandono dell'infanzia, lasciandoci la voglia di celebrare quel periodo, senza rimpiangerlo eccessivamente. "La pomata svanilina" e "I grandi" sono racconti meravigliosi, ...more
Santhosh
Jun 05, 2015 Santhosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book. I have never read a book which talks about someone's thoughts, dreams and feelings. This books is mostly about Peter's dreams and how he faced them. I enjoyed reading the chapter where Peter discovers moving dolls. In that chapter the dolls rebel against them to get a good place.

Very interesting to read. How does he dream so much?! And why??? You learn crazy lessons from this book and never daydream.
Ariethia Ariethia
Apr 13, 2009 Ariethia Ariethia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love about this book is that it is so full of imagination. At times, I find it disturbing (like the one about the thief..I really thought the neighbor was the thief!). My favorite story in this book, is the one about the bully. It really got me thinking about how people probably act the way they are not because they want to, but because the environment put them in that position :-)
Crina Penteleychuk
„Adulții pocneau veșnic din degete și gemeau fiindcă unul din ei se întorsese din oraș și uitase ceva. Tot timpul le lipsea câte ceva și își promiteau să cumpere mâine - încă un scaun pliant, șampanie, usturoi, ochelari de soare, cârlige de rufe - ca și când nu te puteai bucura de vacanță, nu puteai nici măcar s-o începi până nu adunau toate aceste obiecte inutile.”
Thar Lun Myat
Apr 29, 2015 Thar Lun Myat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading about a boy that likes to daydream. For example he daydreamed that he put vanishing cream on his parents and made them disappear or he switched bodies with a cat and also a baby. He also overcame his fear on a small bully at school by having the feeling that he is a bully because people made him.
Maythin Kyi
Peter is a very quiet who always like to stay alone and thinking about all the things that come to his mind. He don't have many friends but his mind is full with imaginations and plans. The one thing I like about this bookie when I thought it's really happening, it was just Peter daydreaming.
Noor Al-Zubaidi
Nov 26, 2012 Noor Al-Zubaidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'd think it's a children's book till you realize this was meant for you. Don't lose your imagination, and learn how to step into other people's (or a cat's) shoes. Lessons you rediscover as Peter learns them for the first time.
I recommend it if you want a light read that reminds you to dream!
Tay Za
Jun 07, 2015 Tay Za rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great book. It is easy and I think it is more suitable for Year 7.

The boy is about 10 years old and his name is called peter. He dreams things that is impossible to happen. This book is very fictional but it is very good to read. I got bored at the middle of the book.
Shu Xiao
Jan 26, 2016 Shu Xiao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories centered around a ten-year-old boy Peter Fortune. In every story, something magical happens and Peter grows more sense about this world. It's interesting that some people categorize this book as fantasy, since according to the book title Peter is merely a daydreamer. I think both interpretations are right, and would love to see what other people feel about it. My favorite story is the cat one. It could be a little creepy for some kids, but tells a perfectly ...more
Anna [Floanne]
Voto: 3.5 stelle

Ancora una raccolta di racconti magici e ancora un bambino per protagonista. Sembra essere il filo conduttore delle mie letture di quest'inizio anno.
Rivolto ad pubblico giovanissimo, questo libro mi ha stupito sia per la varietà delle tematiche narrate, sia per lo stile. Analizzando per primo lo stile, la penna di McEwan firma descrizioni di situazioni familiari, di oggetti, di animali (Il gatto della seconda storia? sembra di poterlo accarezzare e sentire le sue fusa!) e persone
Razvan Zamfirescu
Soumen Daschoudhury
May 07, 2014 Soumen Daschoudhury rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story readers
Childhood! A bliss. Pure but not necessarily simple. So many questions racing through the mind, so many things to do. Studying, reading, playing football, day dreaming, being a brat, planning pranks, handling adults – what a task!

Childhood - A state. A state of confusion, an introduction to everything new, of knowing no fear, no shame for asking questions, for demanding answers. It becomes difficult when my nephew demands answers for questions like “Who is the strongest – Batman, Spiderman or
Sophie Sinato
Non saprei bene come commentare questo libro, perché riconosco che non mi ha entusiasmato perché appartenente a un genere che mi piace poco, ossia quello dei racconti brevi. Il libro percorre vari momenti vissuti da Peter Fortune, quindi sono tutti collegati tra loro; la cosa che mi è piaciuta di più è l'atmosfera di irrealtà che Peter coi suoi sogni ad occhi aperti crea.
Alcuni racconti sono abbastanza inquietanti, ma il peggiore per me è quello intitolato "Il piccolo"; invece mi ha affascinato
YouKai Shinigami
Feb 23, 2016 YouKai Shinigami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si no puse las cinco estrellas es porque sentí que se acabó rápido, que podrían haber más capítulos que sólo esos siete fantásticos que trae. Sólo por eso.
Es un viaje a la infancia, a una infancia mezclada con la empatía. La imaginación y la visión de la familia, los lazos no sólo con la familia humana y cercana, son las que logran que uno se sienta dentro, representado.
Sospecho que un niño puede disfrutarlo por encontrarse en esos tiempos, pero los adultos lo amarán precisamente por lo mismo.
Su Waddy
Apr 26, 2015 Su Waddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is funny and enjoyable to read.I can Iearn from this novel is curiosity because it gets knowledge and learn new things according to our particular interest.This novel is creative and fun to read. It improve my vocabulary as well as getting knowlege. It also helps with my writing too.:)
  • Tornatrás
  • Il libraio che imbrogliò l'Inghilterra
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Geografías
  • Encyclopaedia of Snow
  • Il Giornalino di Gian Burrasca
  • Il segreto del Bosco Vecchio
  • Anatra all'arancia meccanica. Racconti 2000-2010
  • Per questo mi chiamo Giovanni
  • Com a cabeça nas nuvens
  • La torta in cielo
  • La Flor Mas Grande del Mundo (Historias Para Dormir)
  • Les Chevaliers du Subjonctif
  • Kamo: l'idée du siècle
  • The Killer's Tears
  • Sylvie and Bruno
  • Conversations with Ian McEwan
  • Zia Antonia sapeva di menta
Ian McEwan was born on 21 June 1948 in Aldershot, England. He studied at the University of Sussex, where he received a BA degree in English Literature in 1970. He received his MA degree in English Literature at the University of East Anglia.

McEwan's works have earned him worldwide critical acclaim. He won the Somerset Maugham Award in 1976 for his first collection of short stories First Love, Last
More about Ian McEwan...

“If life was a dream, then dying must be the moment when you woke up. It was so simple it must be true. You died, the dream was over, you woke up. That's what people meant when they talked about going to heaven. It was like waking up.” 59 likes
“The trouble with being a daydreamer who doesn’t say much is that the teachers at school, especially those who don’t know you very well, are likely to think you’re rather stupid. Or, if not stupid, then dull. No one can see the amazing things that are going on in your head.” 13 likes