Start by marking “Fresh Eggs” as Want to Read:
Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Calvin Cassowary is ready to do whatever it takes to keep Cassowary Farm in the family for one more generation. Hatching a scheme to specialize in chickens, soon he's got a million hens laying eggs for Gallinipper Foods, but he's getting deeper and deeper into debt. To make matters worse, his chicken-loving daughter Rhea starts growing feathers. Filled with as many tears a...more
Published July 29th 2003 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Eggs

Owen
Thanks Sarah! I love that you sent this to me!

This was a quick, light read. I think I only recommend it for people who like quick, light reads, and maybe even only for people who are obsessed with chickens, like myself. I don't think it was the most well written book, but it was engaging.

Since I am obsessed with chickens and with food issues, this book was really relevant.
Karen  Winters Schwartz
I thought this book was charming! I've not eaten anything but eggs from free-range hens since!
Ron Charles
There are enough hens in America for everyone to have one. And each year, they produce more than 6 billion eggs, so get cracking. In the mid 1970s, medical concerns about cholesterol just about broke the industry, but recently, all the king's horses and all the king's men have been refining those studies, and eggs have been rolling back into dieticians' recommendations.

If you've still got an appetite after Eric Schlosser's "FastFoodNation," break open "Fresh Eggs," a plucky satire by Rob Levando...more
Petra Xtra Crunchy
I picked this up because the title appealed to me and I was a little fed up with reading about war, genocide and the perpetrators and victims thereof and thought ha,light reading.

So ok, now we are onto factory-farming, the ppressors of chickens and the poor imprisoned, debeaked little egg machines themselves and a girl who becomes their de facto patron saint, sort of.

It all romps along in a jolly sort of way, quite well-written and quite badly edited. Not copy-edited, but a proper editor sitting...more
Katherine
FRESH EGGS made me THINK about the plight of chickens raised only to lay eggs for us, and the larger question of whether man should have "dominion over the animals" to the point of not being very pleasant for the animals--or in this case the lowly chicken...In itself this subject would be too painful to investigate, but Rob Levandoski is such a clever writer, and weaves such an interesting story that I really couldn't put the book down until the story ended. The humor was delightful, but the und...more
Jess
This book was a pleasant surprise. I just happened to find it in the stacks and gave it a whirl. I liked the fact that it was set in Ohio. Although many locations were fiction, the occasional Akron and Kent State appeared throughout. I didn't realize that Rhea's "unusual problem" would turn out to be something as unique as what it was. The family history and little stories in between made me feel as if I knew this family. I'm so glad I found this.
Niki
By far the strangest book I hae ever read. I chose this book because I wanted to step out of the box and read something different. I definately did that. Even though, it was strange it sucked me in and I read it in less than 24 hours.
Daryl
Odd. Fantastic. Quirky. Well-written. Occasionally disturbing. I eat lots of eggs, but they come from free-range chickens that I know well.
Christie Ward
This is the book that inspired me NEVER to eat supermarket eggs ever again!
Carla Miller
I found this book a bit strange but it was enough to keep me interested.
Lori
Jun 07, 2007 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: off-beat readers
Shelves: 2007march
Compulsively quirky.
Kenny Kruse
Kenny Kruse marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Lira Rosanes
Lira Rosanes marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lambreads
Lambreads marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Amanda Beschonet
Amanda Beschonet marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 06, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013