Start by marking “How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe” as Want to Read:
How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe

How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
‘I am greatly privileged to have known him and to have fallen under his spell. His long imprisonment, restriction and early death were a major tragedy for our land and for the world.’
– Archbishop Desmond Tutu on Sobukwe

On 21 March 1960, Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe led a mass defiance of South Africa’s pass laws. He urged blacks to go to the nearest police station and demand
Hardcover, Updated Edition, 419 pages
Published 2006 by Jonathan Ball Publishers (first published May 24th 1990)

Phumlani
Let me start by saying I am not a huge fan of biographies,i much prefer auto biographies, I feel auto biographies are a bit more..Personal. Anyway, I approached this book with a hint of cynicism, thinking Pogrund had just written it merely as an academic exercise...but boy was i wrong! This book conjured a lot of emotions in my usually immovable heart, mainly awe, envy and something akin to sympathy, but not sympathy, I’m yet to be able to label that emotion. This man was a legend, albeit a lone ...more
Fadesola
Cape Town is the most beautiful place while simultaneously being its ugliest. Robert Sobukwe links both the past and present of South African oppression in ways few people ever can.

I purchased this book upon my visit to Robben Island in Cape Town souvenir on a bit of impulse after our tour guide showed us where his solitary confinement was located. Although a bit too dryly written considering it is an account of the relationship rather than a detached biograhy, it does a decent job in it portray
Stephen Bess
Great book about a great South African. He's the reason I am married. It's a long story, but my close friends understand.
Sicelo
Benjamin Pogrund's account of the political life of Robert Mangaliso Sobukhwe does not only provide illumination and insight into the mind of this great leader of South Africa's liberation struggle but also weaves neatly a tapestry of circumstances underwhich the struggle for liberation occurred and how each of the leadership components interacted as well as the extent to which such vital cooperation aided the process.

It is a delightful read especially also to the extent that it exposes to a de
Rebecca Fjelland Davis
This is almost a definitive history of the struggle against apartheid from a South African perspective other than Mandela's.

Robert Sobukwe was a member of the PAC (Pan-Africanist Congress) instead of the ANC. He was a brilliant mind and so feared by the Nationalist Party (the political party in power that instated Apartheid) that he was held in prison not for his deeds but from fear of what he would do. Read my whole review here: http://rebeccafjellanddavis.com/rober...
The book is work because
Corey Holmes
Sobukwe was the brightest of all South African robben island captives.....leader of the PAC and a professor at Wits, the Harvard of the east......he died to young people in Kimberly away from all he knew and loved...
Baniza
I always had a great admiration for Robert Sobukwe, the founder of the Pan African Congress ( a break-away from the African National Congress), who also inspired the Black Consciouness Movement.
Fela
Robert Sobukwe is as great as Nelson Mandela....read this book
Quincy Tsatsi
Great insight on the man Biko once described as God
Mpho
Best book ever
Tumediso Mongake
Tumediso Mongake marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Ntobeko Vokwanan
Ntobeko Vokwanan marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Bulletproof
Bulletproof marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Papa Solar
Papa Solar marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Aseza Gcelu
Aseza Gcelu marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Xola Peyi
Xola Peyi marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Dibuseng Pule
Dibuseng Pule marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Jubilee Mpheqeke
Jubilee Mpheqeke marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Luyanda Huna
Luyanda Huna marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
FirstBorn Wedu-Wedu
FirstBorn Wedu-Wedu marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Maxudu Many-Ike
Maxudu Many-Ike marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Skumbuzo Mcwabeni
Skumbuzo Mcwabeni marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Msindisi
Msindisi marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Diane Newby
Diane Newby marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Zamokwakhe
Zamokwakhe marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Ad Van der lugt
Ad Van der lugt is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2015
  • The Unlikely Secret Agent
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • Saving the White Lions: One Woman's Battle for Africa's Most Sacred Animal
  • The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the World's Largest Animal Rescue
  • Eight Days in September - The Removal of Thabo Mbeki
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • The Settler
  • Endings and beginnings
391912
Benjamin Pogrund was born in South Africa and was deputy editor of the Rand Daily Mail in Johannesburg. He now lives in Jerusalem and is founder director of Yakar's Center for Social Concern. He has written three books: about Robert Sobukwe, Nelson Mandela, and the press under apartheid, and is co-editor of Shared Histories: A Palestinian-Israeli Dialogue.
More about Benjamin Pogrund...
Sobukwe and Apartheid World Peacemakers - Nelson Mandela (World Peacemakers) Drawing Fire: Investigating the Accusations of Apartheid in Israel Is Israel Apartheid?: Reporting the Facts on Israel and South Africa War of Words: Memoir of a South African Journalist