Start by marking “A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin” as Want to Read:
A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This book aims to give the student within one year the ability to read ecclesiastical Latin. It includes the Latin of Jerome's Bible and that of canon law, liturgy, scholastic philosophers, Ambrosian hymns, and papal bulls.
Published August 1st 1985 by Catholic University of America Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

Excellent introduction to Church Latin with useful drill, English-to-Latin translation, and an increasing amount of Latin from the Vulgate and liturgical texts in every chapter. By ch. 35 you are reading Latin, and lots of it, without first mentally translating into English. Collins' organization and discussions of vocabulary are perceptive, and his offered 'standard translation' of different subjunctive usages very helpful. Good selection of additional readings follows the 35 chapters of textbo ...more
I finished this book in about one-year's time going along with the LatinStudy email group. It inspired and empowered me to translate the Holy Scriptures from Latin to English, though I've not made time to do that yet formally. Still, it has been helpful during those times that I want to find out what the Latin really said, especially on occasions when the English translation used at Mass has seemed "off" to me.
William Herbst
I used this text in a cours taught at a local seminary. It served my purpose well - to provide a quick introduction to Latin for bright students with little or no background in the subject. Basically Moreland and Fleischer with vocabulary keyed to an ecclesiastical context.
This book enables me to pass my Latin language exam in time. I have used about half a year to finish the language. Topics are grouped together and are well-organized. The answer keys to the book is important also.
An excellent way to develop a Christian voice in one's Latin. The text itself is clear yet academic. The progression is beginning to end with regards to appropriateness of readings is commendable.
Not bad, primarily for the vocabulary and etymology. The grammar is basically what you'll find in Wheelock.
Good introduction to Latin, and with lots of exercises from the Vulgate to get you reading latin.
Porsha marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Nguyễn Văn
Nguyễn Văn marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Dale marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Delaney is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2015
Ivan is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2015
Silpanus Dalmasius
Silpanus Dalmasius is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2015
Lora marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Kenneth marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
VeQuoc added it
Apr 27, 2015
Luke Kippenbrock
Luke Kippenbrock marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
E L marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Francis Manion
Francis Manion marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015