Start by marking “A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin” as Want to Read:
A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This book aims to give the student within one year the ability to read ecclesiastical Latin. It includes the Latin of Jerome's Bible and that of canon law, liturgy, scholastic philosophers, Ambrosian hymns, and papal bulls.
Published August 1st 1985 by Catholic University of America Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

Jean
Feb 21, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to Church Latin with useful drill, English-to-Latin translation, and an increasing amount of Latin from the Vulgate and liturgical texts in every chapter. By ch. 35 you are reading Latin, and lots of it, without first mentally translating into English. Collins' organization and discussions of vocabulary are perceptive, and his offered 'standard translation' of different subjunctive usages very helpful. Good selection of additional readings follows the 35 chapters of textbo ...more
Kelly
Feb 12, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: latin, non-fiction
I finished this book in about one-year's time going along with the LatinStudy email group. It inspired and empowered me to translate the Holy Scriptures from Latin to English, though I've not made time to do that yet formally. Still, it has been helpful during those times that I want to find out what the Latin really said, especially on occasions when the English translation used at Mass has seemed "off" to me.
William Herbst
May 25, 2012 William Herbst rated it really liked it
I used this text in a cours taught at a local seminary. It served my purpose well - to provide a quick introduction to Latin for bright students with little or no background in the subject. Basically Moreland and Fleischer with vocabulary keyed to an ecclesiastical context.
Maranatha
Jul 02, 2013 Maranatha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language
This book enables me to pass my Latin language exam in time. I have used about half a year to finish the language. Topics are grouped together and are well-organized. The answer keys to the book is important also.
Joseph
May 15, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it
An excellent way to develop a Christian voice in one's Latin. The text itself is clear yet academic. The progression is beginning to end with regards to appropriateness of readings is commendable.
Al
Apr 30, 2016 Al rated it liked it
Not bad, primarily for the vocabulary and etymology. The grammar is basically what you'll find in Wheelock.
Alex
Oct 11, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
Good introduction to Latin, and with lots of exercises from the Vulgate to get you reading latin.
Whitterfeng
Whitterfeng marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Arlene
Arlene is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2016
Joey
Joey added it
Jul 19, 2016
Eric Ryniker
Eric Ryniker rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
John Henegar
John Henegar marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
May 09, 2016
Phillip Marshall
Phillip Marshall marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Cory
Cory added it
Apr 11, 2016
Adam Pace
Adam Pace rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Benjamin Dull
Benjamin Dull marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Jpjao
Jpjao rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 01, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Greg Coates
Greg Coates rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Gordon Arthur
Gordon Arthur rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016