Start by marking “Meditation and Contemplation: An Ignatian Guide to Praying with Scripture” as Want to Read:
Meditation and Contemplation: An Ignatian Guide to Praying with Scripture

Meditation and Contemplation: An Ignatian Guide to Praying with Scripture

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The cornerstones of Ignatius of Loyola’s spiritual practice—meditation and contemplation—are clearly explained in this simple guide to the Ignatian method with examples from the experience of practitioners and quotations from Catholic spiritual teachers. In the process, the deeper structure of the spiritual practice is illuminated, and advice about adapting it to individua ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by The Crossroad Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Meditation and Contemplation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation and Contemplation

♥ Ibrahim ♥
I bought this book today because I want to strengthen my life of intimacy wit the Lord through prayer. What is there in Christian more than prayer? If you get to the heart of prayer you get to the heart of Christ directly. Now I have a Bible, how can I use it in prayer? This subject weighs always on me. Whenever a Muslim converts to Christianity and I want to disciple them I want them to use their Bible as an excellent tool of prayer. This book is so wonderful in that it shows us how to take a G ...more
Bob Price

Prayer can be one of the most difficult things to do. Finding new ways of prayer may help on the spiritual path and this is what I found by reading Meditation and Contemplation.

St. Ignatius developed a way to pray using Scripture. By utilizing the imagination, the reader can insert themselves into Scripture. While my Reformed bones scream at this, there is something to be said for attempting to use the Scripture while praying.

The book really deals with people's experiences using Ignatius' pray
Kevin Estabrook
A good treatment of Ignatius' methods of meditation and contemplation of Scripture. For anyone not familiar or comfortable with praying with Scripture, this book would make a good introduction. If i were to offer a course on praying with scripture, i would use this book as source material.
Kit
This is one of the most readable guides to Ignatian prayer that I've found. The real-life examples got a little long for me, but they worked to illustrate the stages of the prayer in a non-intimidating way.
Jill
While I found it covered Ignatius' points on meditative and contemplative prayer very well and was a quick read, I would have like to have seen a bit more both in style and substance.
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Sr Maria
Sr Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mary Akre
Mary Akre marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Angie Hancock
Angie Hancock marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Greg Schaefer
Greg Schaefer marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Maegan Jurewicz earnest
Maegan Jurewicz earnest marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Alise Alexander
Alise Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Jul 17, 2014
Brandon Miranda
Brandon Miranda is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Hoa Thien ly
Hoa Thien ly is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2014
Ted Leon
Ted Leon marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
you can't read just ONE of his books! :D
More about Timothy M. Gallagher...
The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living Discerning the Will of God: An Ignatian Guide to Christian Decision Making The Examen Prayer: Ignatian Wisdom for Our Lives Today Spiritual Consolation: An Ignatian Guide for Greater Discernment An Ignatian Introduction to Prayer: Scriptural Reflections According to the Spiritual Exercises