Start by marking “The Library Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Library Diaries

The Library Diaries

The Library Diaries reads like Seinfeld meets Lou Dobbs meets Glenn Beck. Issues that most of us are afraid to talk about, issues we have had to veil through humor, are talked about candidly by the author, who has seen the terrible consequences of us not talking about these issuesachildrenas lives. Open this book and youall meet the naked patron, the greedy, unenlightened ...more
Published June 9th 2008 by PublishAmerica

To ask other readers questions about The Library Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Library Diaries

Kori
Nov 16, 2008 Kori rated it did not like it
This is a bitter, ranting diatribe from a woman dissatisfied with her own existence. I was intrigued by all the controversy swirling around this book, including the author's subsequent firing. When I saw the first chapter was titled "Destination Hell," I got ready to laugh it up. Unfortunately, she's not funny, she's mean, she doesn't write well, and there's nothing in this book that any public library doesn't see every day. The icing on this suck cake is that the author ocassionally goes on ...more
Jubilation Lee
I have never met Ann Miketa (ie Sally Stern-Hamilton), but I'm pretty sure, based on her book, that she is one of the nastiest women to walk the face of the earth. "Monica," you might say, "that seems like a harsh generalization!" Yes friends, it does. I learned it from the author's book, in which she insults everyone from upset mothers, to pregnant teenagers, to wheelchair-bound patrons, to those receiving disability benefits, to the mentally ill. "I have a radar," the author states, "for the ...more
Lisa
Nov 06, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it
Dana
Nov 28, 2011 Dana rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who truly hate mankind.
Recommended to Dana by: I have no one to blame but myself.
If I could give it less than one star, I would have. So terrible...the writing was god-awful. Has this woman ever used a transitional paragraph or phrase? Hell, I would have settled for a simple transition WORD. As for the content, this "library worker" (read: not a professional) is not only an expert in libraries, but also in diagnosing emotional disorders, abuse of government social services, and in diagnosing all manner of mental illness. Did you know that the majority of people in her ...more
Vicki
Nov 19, 2008 Vicki rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
You know how we librarians say that we should write a book about the people who come in to the library? Well, that's what this book is -- and it's TERRIBLE!!!! The person who kept the diaries died, and her sister turned them into this book, which is in first person. I assume that she just edited her sister's work. If my sister wrote something like this, I'd be sure to keep it under lock and key. I would certainly never publish it! The woman does nothing but complain about the patrons and the ...more
Erin
Mar 23, 2012 Erin rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction, ugh
Wow, this book was HORRIBLE. I requested it after reading some of the controversy surrounding it in the news. I work at a library myself, so I was hoping it might provide me with perhaps a laugh or two. Working in a library can definitely lead to some odd situations (I'm looking at you, guy who left new packs of shower curtain rings in the book drop). But this was... hateful and mean and so closed-minded that I don't even like to think about sharing a profession with this woman.

Here's a few of t
Kelly
Aug 31, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book when I saw that the author (using a pseudonym) was fired from her job after this book was published. Apparently she was from such a small town that the "characters" were easy to discern. This book was a really quick read and definitely a whole lot more interesting if you work in a library. The chapters were all short and each described a different "problem" patron. However, the author was extremely negative and judgmental and barely mentioned a positive interaction ...more
Angie Johnson
Dec 01, 2008 Angie Johnson rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008-books
Wow - and I thought I was jaded. Holy cow is this author bitter. I haven't read too much about the story behind this author, but the level of prejudice is unreal. I was amazed she had even heard of the word relativism --must have been because people were saying she had no cultural understanding of anyone/anything except her odd little sheltered box of what is "right."

In my deepest, darkest hours here at the library, I can understand where she is coming from on a few of the tiniest points, but m
Katie
Sep 30, 2012 Katie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one ever
Shelves: 2012, libraries, horrid
A horrible book written by a horrible women. The way she talks about the patrons in the library is nothing short of disgusting. And she views everyone that is not white, well off or you know, like her, as lower then then her. Oh and they shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

I work in a library. I was looking to see if there would be funny stories of things that happen in libraries. Trust me, I know they happen. But instead I got a book that had someone arguing that eugenics is actually a good thin
Valerie Kleinheksel
May 15, 2011 Valerie Kleinheksel rated it did not like it
This has to be one of the worst-written books I have ever read. Ms. Miketa is actually Sally Stern-Hamilton, a former library worker who details the more unsavory patron experiences she had during her time with the Ludington Public Library in Ludington, MI. The book was published by PublishAmerica, a grass-roots publishing house that will apparently publish any drivel that is submitted. While not a bona fide vanity press, PublishAmerica isn't exactly Random House.

Library Diaries describes in sc
Jewelianne
Aug 11, 2012 Jewelianne rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I don't think I have ever rated a book one star before. Even books that I think are pretty terrible I rate at least two stars. Usually there is something good about every book, just like people all have some good qualities. A book for every reader and a reader for every book and all that. But not this book. This book has no redeeming qualities at all!

I was really excited about it at first. First and foremost because it takes place in a public library -- and in Michigan! I was hoping to see some
Mandy
Feb 15, 2012 Mandy rated it did not like it
Read because I work in a library & the controversy, blah blah blah...wow. Suckfest. One reviewer said "suck-cake" and yeah, definitely.

There's a hundred types of patrons out there, she hits on a few of the regulars pretty well, but then there's so much of her own bigoted, mean-spirited social commentary to wade through that I ended up skipping whole chunks of this already-short book.

Yes, nutjobs come in the public places. Yes, those employed in those places have to deal with the nutjobs, as
Donna
Mar 11, 2010 Donna rated it did not like it
This book took me forever to get. I really wanted to read it based on all the controversy. So much so that there are only a handful printed. They discontinued the printing, the woman got fired and the book is now officially banned! It sells on Amazon for $1000! Thankfully I got it for under $40. It's a bout a library worker (not a librarian mind you) explaining, or shall I say demeaning, her regular patrons. She explains how they are retarded, have low IQ's, how they shouldn't be allowed to ...more
Molly
Feb 18, 2009 Molly rated it did not like it
Terribly written. I can't believe no one has mentioned the bizarre faux-prologue about the book being published posthumously. I have no idea what that's all about, except possibly to exculpate her from accusations of violating patron privacy... (which obviously didn't work, what with her termination from the library).
Basically, this book is a violation of every ethical library practice I can think of -- I mean, suggesting patrons should be ashamed to ask for the spelling of a word? What does thi
Mickey
Nov 02, 2010 Mickey rated it did not like it
OMG this is one of the most bitter, misogynistic pieces of drek it has been my misfortune to read in a long time. As the child of a librarian, someone who has worked in libraries/bookstores herself, and a fan of the Unshelved series by Ambaum & Barnes, I had been looking really forward to finally getting to read it, despite negative reviews I'd seen elsewhere. They were too kind. This book is nothing but nasty shots at many of the patrons the author encountered and it makes me wonder if her ...more
MrsRK
Oct 21, 2016 MrsRK rated it it was amazing
Ann Miketa was fired after she published this book--by the very people who want us to believe they respect freedom of speech! Miketa's case is a symptom of Libraries overbearing power and dare. And, no, I don't like her style and don't agree with some of her positions; but her book has a lotlibrary c of merit, in which she exposes the reality of libraries: patrons who m*sturbate in plain day light, while watching girls doing their homework in the library "safe" environment. (See how "safe" your ...more
Peacegal
Jan 21, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
Here's an author who's not afraid to say what she thinks—and apparently she lost her job for it. This is a no-holds-barred account of a library employee’s (mostly negative) experiences, including diatribes about patrons and co-workers.

Although this book isn’t well-written, I must say I enjoyed the author’s tone of bitter misanthropy. Anyone who works with the public for any length of time is bound to absorb some of this low-simmering rage at humanity; we’re just not all so ready to admit it.
Nicoal
Dec 09, 2009 Nicoal rated it did not like it
from Chapter Twenty-Five - Book Writers:
"There have been several patrons who have written books. These books, for the most part, are unreadable."

Consider the author one of these patrons. She appears to be disgruntled, pessimistic, and unworldly. The book is ridden with grammatical errors and is poorly edited.

Anyone working in a public library has tremendous amounts of fodder for humorous and/or interesting anecdotes that, when executed properly, could produce a successful book. However, this aut
Emily
Sep 25, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it
Wow. Was this book ever disappointing. The author is unbelievably judgmental and condescending and believes she is better than all of her library's patrons (and her town's fellow citizens) for various reasons. She's down on people who are on welfare, doesn't understand why anyone who has children can't also afford a computer, and doesn't fell that kids should use library computers for games. I found the book to be mean-spirited (and not in a "good" way) and badly written. I guess that's why this ...more
Dawn
May 27, 2009 Dawn rated it did not like it
Shelves: librarylove
This is one of the most horrifying books I've ever read. The victim blaming, the disgust expressed for those who are poor, have low IQs, and who are mentally disabled is horrible. I am appalled that this woman worked in a library for years and had no compassion or patience. And she blames all the problems that children have on poor parenting. I don't know why I kept reading this--all I can relate it to is not being to look away from a horrible car accident.
Shalea
Apr 05, 2014 Shalea rated it did not like it
From the Epilogue I felt the authors sanctimonious attitude toward anyone whom is not a part of Middle to Upper-class America. It was obvious from early on she does not enjoy her job and received poor training MLIS at University of North Carolina. Public Libraries welcome EVERYONE as long as they abide by the Code of Conduct and do not impede others access. Cannot believe all these stories are true. Definitely take this book with a grain of salt. Not recommended.
Jess
Sep 01, 2008 Jess rated it did not like it
Awful. Terrible. Waste of the paper it is printed on. This was written about the patrons of a library near my home town. But terrible written. She was fired from the library because she used her library email account to promote her book. To the library patrons, where she got the email addresses. Too bad she can't write, now that she doesn't have a job.
Lindsay
Apr 18, 2012 Lindsay rated it did not like it
I went into this thinking it would be funny like other library related books I have read. I also had heard about the controversy around the book. It seems to be nothing more than the rantings and ravings of a very angry person. There wasn't anything funny about the book! Beware you will come away depressed......
Abbey
Nov 13, 2008 Abbey rated it did not like it
In my opinion, the one star is one too many. I forced myself to read half of the book, hoping I could get something out of it, but it is way too mean-spirited and condescending. As a librarian, I am ashamed that someone who works in a library would write about patrons like that, even if she is trying to pass it off as fiction.
Tony
Aug 13, 2011 Tony rated it did not like it
This is a really horrid little book by the library clerk from Hell. She describes, somewhat interestingly but with no depth, the "perverts" and "mental defectives" who use her library then adds a paragraph or two musing on why such parasites are allowed to breed and live off "our" tax dollars. It could have been humorous or it could have been helpful. As it is, it is just bitchy.
Lea
Apr 07, 2014 Lea rated it did not like it
So, I read the reviews, and I thought it couldn't be that bad. I have spent some time in Denialville (Ludington, MI). Having been to Ludington, and having worked in a small town library, and having seen lots of funny and sad things there, I thought this book would be enlightening and entertaining. Sadly this woman is just a holier-than-thou judgmental bigot. I'm glad she got fired.
Trevor Nasson
Aug 09, 2008 Trevor Nasson rated it really liked it
As a former library employee, I found this book quite enjoyable. All the characters possessed personality traits that matched library patrons I had dealt with. The points of frustration with unsavory characters, patrons AND management, reminds me of how I felt. This book is a short read and worth taking a look.
Melissa
Jul 30, 2010 Melissa rated it did not like it
Weird on many levels. Horrified at most of the things said about people. As a library worker my job is to circulate materials not ruminate and pass judgment on library patrons. This calculated attack against people is not what I expected at all from this book.
Jeanne
Aug 27, 2008 Jeanne marked it as to-read
The author based the book on people she met as a librarian in Ludington, Michigan, and was subsequently fired for her efforts. Read the story here »
Feb 15, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I couldn't even get past the first chapter. I realized quickly that this was not the book for me. I can see why people were upset about the book. Perhaps it would have been different if it was written more like a novel than a tell all.
« previous 1 3 next »