Start by marking “Cries of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Cries of the Heart

Cries of the Heart

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  423 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In this profound message from one of the great thinkers of our generation, Zacharias explores the inner feeling of futility that can overwhelm a human heart and helps us to see a reason for our suffering, be comforted in loneliness, and experience an abiding faith in our daily lives. "Cries of the Heart" is a book that both inspires and reassures...a search that uncovers o ...more
Published February 20th 1998 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cries of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cries of the Heart

Chon Rumthao
Apr 03, 2012 Chon Rumthao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was first recommended to me by one of my spiritual mentors, at a turbulent time when my entire world came crumbling down. A time when I began to wrestle with God with serious questions day and night, and night and day. The Bible before me would be wet with my tears in my attempt to unearth answers.

I began this book, with the hope that all my queries would be answered 'specifically'. In fact it did. This book led me to the discovery of God's own heart - not mine!! All the while, I had b
Greg
May 31, 2010 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the Bible... then read this.
Georgia Herod
Dec 14, 2014 Georgia Herod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because both my heart and my mind say YES in response to whatever Zacharias has written or presented orally since I first heard him in the late 1980’s, I have eagerly read his books. I agree wholeheartedly with Max Lucado, who wrote the forward to this volume: “What others do with the golf club or operas or chemistry, Ravi does with Christian thought. He presents lucid answers to tough questions and makes the problems look simple.”

In this book he addresses the emptiness and ennui that can often
Sameh Maher
Jul 26, 2014 Sameh Maher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: مسيحيات
الكتاب هو اول لقاء مع الكاتب رافى زاكارايوس وقد اعجبنى كثيرا على الرغم من ان كل قسم من الكتاب يستحق كتاب بمفرده ولكن الكتاب مكتوب ومترجم بلغة رشيقة جيدة ومفهومة
وقد اعجبنى فلسفته وادلته وقصصه التى تبرز واقعيتها لكل قارئ
وعلى الرغم من ذلك احسست ان الكتاب يجتاج الى عمق وتركيز اكثر فهو جيد ولكنه ممكن ان يكون اكثر جودة وتنميقا وترابطا للافكار
عموما هو كتاب جيد سترجع اليه حتما لكى تجتر افكاره
BJ
Feb 01, 2012 BJ rated it really liked it
This is a good book. I'm consistently fascinated by the mind of Ravi Zacharias. I was particularly intrigued with his take on the Christian church's loss of reverence for God. He shared a story about how in the Hindi language the words for Mom and Dad are Mata and Pita but you would never call your Mom or Dad just Mata or Pita because it doesn't reflect the respect that they deserve. In Hindi you add the suffix -jee to those names to reflect that respect (so those become Matajee and Pitajee). He ...more
elfsi

"Cries Of The Heart"

Seandainya ada bintang 6 maka saia akan berikan 6 bintang pada buku ini..biar puuasss :)

Ravi Zacharias dengan gaya bahasa ilmiah berpadu dengan teologi melalui buku ini menguak dengan tuntas jeritan-jeritan yang terjadi dalam kehidupan sehari-hari, dengan seluruh pertanyaan yang sepintas penuh dengan logika untuk tidak meyakini DIA.

“Saya telah mencoba segala sesuatu tapi saya tidak dapat merasakan Allah” Dimana Allah??

Buku ini mengeksplorasi kembali Karakter Allah, bagaimana
Renee Ramos
Books by this author are usually wonderful - I use them to keep myself sharp and grounded in a society where truth is blurred and absolute values are frowned upon. When I chose this book, though, I was looking for something soothing and devotional, and this book disappointed me.
Audrey
Jan 25, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really learned from the sections on pleasure (Cry for Freedom in Pleasure)and love (Cry of a Lonely Heart). The rest of the book was very solid, but overlapped with other books I've read. For example, the Cry for Purpose in Suffering was a thorough, sensitive analysis, but I skimmed the section. I would recommend the book as a great analysis of a handful of important issues.
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ravi is one of my favorite authors. So few people write to depth of the heart, this book does. Are you concerned with how a believer should deal with evil, problems? This book is for you.
Dorothy Timmerman
Aug 22, 2012 Dorothy Timmerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zacharies is rated a bit below C.S. Lewis, personally, but a fair bit higher than anyone else. His ideas were probing, and many things that I did not have the ability to draw reason from for myself were illuminated by him, and especially by his gracious explanation of the story of Job, as well as Job's three philosophical friends. The more I am accustomed to the modern-philosophical style of Zacharias, the more I predict I will like him, and he's very worth liking. My favorite bits of the book w ...more
Esther
Feb 26, 2015 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep thinking but understandable.
Cindy
May 08, 2008 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cindy by: a friend
Did not like this nearly as much as Jesus Among Other Gods. In fact, the only reason I read it is because a friend handed it to me. It was too abstract for me at this time in my life - it appeals more to feelers than thinkers. Once I made it to the second half of the book it became much more intesting and coherent and I was able to finish that part in less than a week. The first half took over 2 months for me to wade through.

Ravi Zacharias is an extremely intelligent man; I just prefer different
David
Jul 05, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would highly recommend this for any believer to read as Ravi explains, in some amount of paraphrasing, how we should legitimately respond from our heart a desire to understand ourselves and our identity in Christ as we experience pain, suffering, guilt, and loneliness.
Jenny
Oct 15, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Sarah Rotman
This book navigates you through your own tragedies or teaches you how best to support someone going through tragedies you can't even begin to imagine. Overall, the insight given here can prepare you for pain or help you heal afterwards. But if you don't expect life to be painful, well, maybe you should read more Shakespeare...
Rachel
A very, very good book. It's deep--I actually read it through twice in a row, because I knew I didn't get much out of it the first time. My favorite of the Ravi Zacharias ones I've read so far.

3rd reading: fall 2011
Don
May 16, 2007 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talbot Course: Personal Foundations of Ministry

Although I LOVE Ravi Zacharias' work, he's more of an apologist than a "counselor". A Must READ from Zacharias is "CAN MAN LIVE WITHOUT GOD?"
Janis Williams
Mar 24, 2013 Janis Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He can just see things the Way God does and explain them in such a brilliant way!!! You don't finish a book like this you read it again and again it is so encouraging!

Dewi
Nov 04, 2010 Dewi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just starting reading this book from preface part, has fascinated me. It sounds interesting and not regret buying this book to be my reading.
Jasmine
May 29, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If He be God, and died for me,
No sacrifice too great can be
For me, a mortal man, to make--
I'll do it all for Jesus' sake.
Jocelyn
Apr 04, 2013 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me some time to read this book. Ravi Zacharias has presented intensely disturbing and tough thoughts.
Brian
A more emotive work (and Ravi's style leans this way amongst modern apologists anyway) - but good.
Tabitha
Jan 31, 2008 Tabitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this again... it's really good.. very deep. =) but i get some of it. =P
Veronica
Sep 21, 2011 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school
the most beautiful writing on suffering i have ever read
Becky
Dec 08, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I've read to date.
Donna
Jan 05, 2009 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything Ravi writes is excellent.
Don Cooper
Jan 29, 2011 Don Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding work.
Heather Gill
Heather Gill marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Cameron Swanson
Cameron Swanson marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Peggy Rader
Peggy Rader marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Binoy Chacko
Binoy Chacko rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • A Sweet and Bitter Providence: Sex, Race, and the Sovereignty of God
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot
  • Church: Why Bother?: My Personal Pilgrimage
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us
  • Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit's Power
For over thirty-five years Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. He is listed as a distinguished lecturer with the Staley Foundation and has appeared on CNN and other international broadcasts. The author of several books for adults and children, he powerfully mixes biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. His most ...more
More about Ravi Zacharias...

“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s” (v. 15). This verse is the middle verse of the Old Testament and rightly so, for it gives the assurance that when we trust in God He will fight for us. The battle is not ours; it is His.” 0 likes