Start by marking “Faking It” as Want to Read:
Faking It

Faking It

In this book polymath William Ian Miller probes one of the dirty little secrets of humanity: that we are all faking it much more than anyone would care to admit. He writes with wit and wisdom about the vain anxiety of being exposed as frauds in our professions, cads in our loves, and hypocrites to our creeds. He finds, however, that we are more than mere fools for wanting ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Faking It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faking It

John
Oct 25, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book high considering I only liked 2/3 of the material. The 2/3 are a must read however. Personally, I could have done without all of the religious connotations. It's great, the author puts to words what we're all thinking, ALL the time. He makes a compelling argument that 'faking it' does nobody any good. Perhaps because his ideas closley align with my existing social biasis; that I really enjoyed book. Either way, well written and a great concept.
Renate
Feb 22, 2013 Renate rated it liked it
Very readable and sometimes extremely entertaining, lots of examples from literature. Miller made me think how many instants I end up faking it myself.
The book has some downsides as well: overcomplete in its ambitions to cover all aspects of faking it.
Miller takes many quotes from La Rouchefoucault, but why does the author draw so heavily from this source?
I ended up faking reading some chapters.
Maggie
Sep 07, 2009 Maggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
a highly analytical book with rolling insights and whereas this book can be seen as a handbook on clear thinking, it also has tortured passages where the author, imo, thinks-too-much. best advice to mr miller: you're trying too hard to leave no turn unstoned*. relax.

which is not to say that the book isn't worth reading; it is; it happens also to be a tour de force of exhaustive (and exhausting) thinking that after several chapters simply is too much for us mere mortals (but evidently mr. miller
Shatara
Dec 12, 2014 Shatara rated it really liked it
The beginning of the book was slow at first. But now as I'm continuing to read the book it gets more interesting as I go on also this book is one of the books that have you wanting to skip ahead to see what is gonna happen next.
Jill
May 25, 2009 Jill rated it liked it
More of a collection of essays than a linear examination of insincerity and the motivations for acting in bad faith. I especially paid attention to the chapter on irony.
Miller concentrates on 'faking it' in acedemia and religion in particular. I beleive an entire other book (or more!) could be written on adopting identities (dietary-restriction-as-lifestyle, the idealized life of an artist--or any particular career, alleged altruism, etc.).
Tanya
Jul 19, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it
Some sections were highly insightful. Others were overly convoluted with literary references--to the point that his argument was lost in the shuffle. I found myself quoting him here or there on Facebook, which means I found at least some Truth (if there is such a thing) within.
reed
Mar 17, 2010 reed rated it it was ok
Made it through the first chapter. I guess the concept just wasn't compelling enough to keep me wading through it. I'm having better luck with Eye For an Eye.
Marianne
Jul 31, 2009 Marianne rated it did not like it
Not what i was expecting. Preface described feeling that author is faking his role as professor and subject expert. But the rest of the book discussed jesus, hypocrascy, etc.

Nancy Frazier brought it to my attention.
Ellen
Miller continues an excellent and entertaining writer, but this book was a lot more scattered than The Anatomy of Disgust.
Ian
Feb 24, 2009 Ian rated it liked it
fun subject matter, some parts were funny but sometimes it felt really tiring.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Weina Lai
Weina Lai marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Jake Orthwein
Jake Orthwein marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Cyndy
Cyndy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Sterling Hayden
Sterling Hayden marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Yassine Ayadi
Yassine Ayadi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Vaginalvoodoo
Vaginalvoodoo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Pravat
Pravat marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Justin Stanley
Justin Stanley rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Vince
Vince added it
Aug 05, 2016
Siji Jabbar
Siji Jabbar rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2016
H.
H. marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Inbo Shim
Inbo Shim marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Antonio
Antonio rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016