Start by marking “Citadelle” as Want to Read:
Citadelle
Preview

Citadelle

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  864 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Căci am aflat că omul este asemenea unei citadele. Răstoarnă zidurile pentru a-și găsi libertatea, dar nu mai e decât fortăreață nimicită, deschisă înspre stele. Atunci începe spaima de a nu mai fi. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry în Citadela)
Paperback, Edition abregee, etablie et prefacee par Michel quesnel, 467 pages
Published May 1st 2000 by Gallimard Education (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Citadelle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Citadelle

Octavian
"This morning I have pruned my rose trees." -You have to read it all to understand this.

It is the perfect book for the modern man that doesn’t have time to read but still wants to. You can read it in as much time as you want to. You can read if you want 15 minutes every day. It also doesn’t require a plot to remember, because it has no plot. It is not a novel. It is structured in 219 chapters that are from just a paragraph to a couple of pages long. You can even open the book at any chapter and
VeganMedusa
Aug 25, 2011 VeganMedusa marked it as not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Page 9: So the father takes him into the desert to see a woman stripped naked and bound to a stake for some crime.
"Listen," my father said. "She is discovering that which is essential."
But I was a child, and craven.
"Perhaps she is suffering," I answered him, "and perhaps she's frightened, too."
"No," my father said, "she has passed beyond suffering and fear. Those are diseases of the cattle pen, meet for the groundling herd. She is discovering the truth."

And they stand there for a while listenin
Sergey Pustylnikov
Невероятно цельное и сильное произведение. Оно передает философскую систему, описывающую своеобразный взгляд на смысл жизни, ценности, на различные виды социальных отношений. Здесь в удивительно художественной и многосторонней манере описаны и война, и вражда, и безразличие, и дружба, и восхищение, и любовь, и брак. Выражен взгляд на творчество, на созидание в целом. На попытки осмыслить жизнь и ее явления, разобраться в проблемах справедливости и иерархии, в вопросах управления.

Считаю это книг
Rachel
Very rarely do I not finish a book, but after 106 of its 350 pages I'm putting this one down. I just can't deal with it.

The beginning charmed me, because it was eloquent and because I disagreed with what it was saying. It was like Nietzsche, Plato, and Machiavelli decided to collaborate on a book: bizarre, but fascinating.

Then it grew offensive. Really I have seldom seen such unapologetic fetishization of rape, such blatant disdain (disguised of course as compassion) for the Common Man (whatever
Michel
Jun 10, 2009 Michel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michel by: My grandmother
Shelves: doulce, eleole, lit
You know about that one proverbial book you would take with you on a desert island? Citadelle is it for me. Possibly because it's unfinished, and some parts are told several times, so you spend a lot of time choosing one iteration over another, and then changing your mind.
Feels like a dialogue with the reader, about maybe the most important subject for us humans: the meaning of it all. Tentative, interactive and ambiguous.
Marie-Claude
Un des rares livres que j'ai lu à plusieurs reprises. Il s'agit d'une oeuvre posthume de St-Exupéry, reconstituée à partir de fragments retrouvés après sa disparition. Une très belle prose poétique sur la société et les hommes, dans leur rapport au pouvoir, à l'ennemi, à leurs propres démons intérieurs et à leurs désirs.
Radka
This is the book I have to read many times in many different times of my life ...
J S
One of the most moving books I've ever had the honor to explore. For me, it read very much like sublime scripture. Certainly a life-changing book. I seem to remember the edition I read (it was borrowed) as being a rare, vintage, blue or red, cloth-bound, gold embossed and gilded edged hardback... in my hands it felt extremely burly, solid and biblical -worn to just the right condition and state of readability. The translation was spot-on. I'll never forget the pivotal experience of reading this. ...more
Pavel
Kniha plná pečlivě destilované moudrosti. Otázky smyslu lidského života se otvírají v prostých, názorných, ale přeci hlubokých a výstižných obrazech. Pro mě tak trochu zjevení - jak je možné říci pomocí pár prostých symbolů věci, na které učencům často chybí slova. Uzel, tvář, snop, čajová konvice. A jaký význam může najednou mít věta: “Dnes ráno jsem prořezal růžové keře.” Zkrátka nádherné. Na druhou stranu si dovedu představit, že pro někoho je Citadela jen nudné mentorování, protože z téhle k ...more
Beringas
Citadelė - begalinė knyga. Skaitymas prilygsta ėjimui per dykumą - nei akimirkos nėra lengva, o jei taip ir atrodo - tai iliuzija.

Knyga pilna metaforų, palyginimų ir pamokymų. Tai tėvo išminties perdavimas sūnui. Sūnaus mokymosi, atradimų dienoraštis. Čia nėra siužeto, tik atskiri įspūdžiai apie žmogaus prigimtį, vado vertybes ir gyvenimo prasmę.

Man skaityti buvo sunku, kartais vilkausi per puslapius kaip su sunkiu nešuliu, tačiau idėjos visgi nusėdo galvoje ir jos tikrai vertingos.

Rekomenduo
Bob
Whether author or translator should be held responsible for a ponderous faux-biblical style, the substance belongs to Saint-Exupery, who presents a series of meditations on duty, courage, citizenship, love, and injustice, using all the symbols of The Little Prince (the rose, the desert, the fox, the absolute monarch) in a deeper and more tragic tone. I found my own faults condemned and harsh choices posed without ever feeling "judged."
Beedo180
I have read a first ed. English translation of this. Published posthumously, it was meant by St. Ex. to be an overall capture of his philosophies. (Service, self-relance, gift of oneself to something larger). He may not have been able polish this as much as he regularly would one of his manuscripts. It is a tough, but worthwhile read that rewards perseverance with beautiful sparse images, suitable to the desert it takes place in.
Ken
Easy to pick up and put down at any time, for any time. A great go-to book to scratch the itch to read without needing a long investment of time to take something away from it (quite the opposite in fact).
Oksana Burganova
MAGIC. Totally magic. Something really special for every reader. Absolutely recommended.
Milan Pohl
Citadela, klíčové dílo Antoina de Saint-Exupéryho, připomíná pestrou mozaiku zamyšlení nad různými aspekty lidské existence a čehosi, co bychom mohli nazvat "smyslem života". Je sice jen nedokončeným torzem, zato však velice hutným. Mnohdy se jedná o pravdy, na které valná část lidstva pozapomněla, pokud si je vůbec kdy uvědomovala: člověk se nejlépe formuje v boji s nepříznivými okolnostmi, kdežto v pohodlí zakrní; smysl života nelze hledat, je třeba ho budovat.
Některé teze se v jednotlivých ka
Дмитрий Кравченко
this one is a "bible of existential philosophy", just can't define otherwise.
Ahmed Essam
مفهمتش اى حاجة خالص ودا يمكن يرجع للترجمة والاسلوب المعقد اللى اتكتب بيه..او عدم قدرتى على فهم افكاره الفلسفية
Chie Kenn
i want to read this book
Ahmed Yousri ataweyya
الترجمة العربية افسدت جمال الفكرة تماما
Radwa Shamseldin
الكتاب جميل جدا و ملئ بالقيم و التحليلات والافكار الخلاقة ولكن يعيبه عدم تواؤم الترجمة مع اسلوب الكاتب الذي اطلق عليه الاسلوب الاوروبي الذي يعرض مضمون الكتاب باسلوب الخواطر وهو اسلوب شبيه بكتابة اليوميات والمذكرات باسلوب حر واحيانا غير مترابط مما يجعل من الصعب على القارئ تتبعه واستيعابه
Min
Philosophical, lyrical and epic; at times repetitive and perplexing, this book was published posthumously and despite much editing, still feels somewhat like a life-long contemplation than a novel or anything of the sort.
Gintas
Viena geriausių knygų.
Miranda
Too bad the author died before he could finish editing it. It was long and overly redundant (lol) even contradictory in places. He had some interesting ideas though
Gabriela
This is a very complex and philosophical work. I have to read more about Exupery's life and then I'll get back to it. At the moment it doesn't stick to me.
أحمد البرعي
مش قادر اكمل الكتاب , العيب من المترجم او المؤلف .. مش عارف , لكنه كتاب سيىء في لغته , لم اتوصل للحكاية بعد لأن اللغة صادمة , لا تجعلك تكمل الكتاب .
محمد على عطية
ملل....هناك من ضمن الفلسفة في رواياته و كانت النتيجة رواية تجمع بين التشويق و الحكمة...لا كهذه التي لم أستطع إكمالها حتى
Remi BAUBY
Very good book as usual with Antoine de Saint-Exupery even if this one is a bit longer than most of the others.
Ugnė
Tikriausiai nieko nesupratau ir be reikalo nuvertinu, bet jau seniai nebuvo taip nuobodu skaityti.
Fabien Couteaud
I wish St Ex. would have lived to finish this one... and write many more!
  • Romeo, Julie a tma
  • Papa You're Crazy
  • Talks With T. G. Masaryk
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • Markéta Lazarová
  • Плаха
  • Spalovač mrtvol
  • The Arrangement
  • Audience (Acting Edition)
  • Staré řecké báje a pověsti
  • Pan Kaplan má stále třídu rád
  • Saturnin
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • Slavnosti sněženek
  • Katyně
  • Heaven Has No Favorites
  • Záhada hlavolamu (Stínadelská trilogie, #1)
  • The Lazarus Child
1020792
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was born in Lyons on June 29, 1900. He flew for the first time at the age of twelve, at the Ambérieu airfield, and it was then that he became determined to be a pilot. He kept that ambition even after moving to a school in Switzerland and while spending summer vacations at the family's château at Saint-Maurice-de-Rémens, in eastern France. (The house at Saint-Maurice appea ...more
More about Antoine de Saint-Exupéry...
The Little Prince The Little Prince & Letter to a Hostage Wind, Sand and Stars Night Flight Flight to Arras

“The tree is more than first a seed, then a stem, then a living trunk, and then dead timber. The tree is a slow, enduring force straining to win the sky.” 27 likes
“It is not by way of language that I shall transmit what is within me; for it is inexpressible in words. I can but signify this insofar as you may understand it through other channels than the spoken word; by love's miracle or because, born of the same God, we are akin. Else I have to drag it out, laboriously--that sunken world within me. And thus, as my clumsiness avails, I display this or that aspect alone--as in the case of my mountain, of which I may say merely that it is high. But it is far more than that, and behind those weak words I have in mind the far-flung glory of the night when one stands on the heights, alone and shivering, amongst the stars.” 24 likes