Start by marking “Leap Days: Chronicles of a Midlife Move” as Want to Read:
Leap Days: Chronicles of a Midlife Move

Leap Days: Chronicles of a Midlife Move

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Katherine Lanpher, whose essays have appeared in the New York Times and More magazine, officially moved to Manhattan on a leap day, transferring from a rooted life in the Midwest to a new job, a new city, and a new sense of who she was. But re-invention is a tricky business and starting over in the middle of life isn't for the feint of heart.

Katherine Lanpher's short essa
Published October 10th 2006 by Springboard Press

To ask other readers questions about Leap Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leap Days

Katherine
I was torn between three and four stars.
I really liked to listen to Katherine Lanpher when she was on MPR, but don't think I ever managed to tune her in when she was with Al Franken on Air America Radio. Fickle? Maybe. But I have never liked Kerry Miller as much as I liked Katherine.
This memoir was well written and entertaining. Katherine is just my age and experienced many of the things I did, growing up in the 60's and 70's.
However, the book is mostly about her grown up life and, as listenin
Tracy St Claire
I read this book because the premise was a woman from the midwest struggling to fit in into New York City, something my sister did and now young neighbor is going through and I wanted to understand the experience. This is part of the book and filled my curiosity nicely.

The rest of the book is Katherine's rambling autobiographical memoirs broken up by chapter in roughly chronological manner. These are interesting enough for a short read, and they evoked a feeling in me that quickly went beyond th
John
Well written memoir in essay format - some folks might be disappointed that her on-air career is covered in only one entry, with her time as Al Franken's co-host a subset of that, though it's a comprehensive piece. Lanpher effectively navigates the overall theme of her progression from Moline to Minneapolis to Manhattan. Definitely recommended.
Lynette
Even for a memoir writer, this author was self-absorbed to a fault. Tries to maintain her Midwestern bona fides but ends up being as snobbish as the New Yorkers she parodies.
Verena
I enjoyed Katherine Lanpher’s columns in the Pioneer Press as well as her stint as a talk show host on MPR. She conducted interviews with guests and juggled contributions from callers in a lively and sometimes zany way. She wasn’t afraid to hold guests’ feet to the fire when the subject was controversial. When she left MPR and moved to New York City to join Al Franken on Air America, I lost track of her. Finding Leap Days: Chronicles of a Midlife Move on my bookshelf brought me up to date (throu ...more
Robin
Jul 22, 2009 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like to read memoirs
Shelves: 2009-list, memoirs
This is yet another suggestion from a Goodreads acquaintance and, once again, I was not disappointed! The author's reflections on her life and times is very insightful. I'm guessing that she is close to my own age but has gone through a very different life than I have, especially since she was unable to bear children, a heartbreak that I know nothing about. I admire the author's courage to relocate to NYC after living most of her life in the middle part of the country.
Rachel Romeo
Dec 28, 2007 Rachel Romeo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any woman starting over
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great little book filled with short essays about the author as she chronicles a major move in her life in her mid-forties. Any woman who has had to start over because she needed to or wanted to, should pick this up as her tales are all too familiar. She divorces, moves to New York, hosts a radio show and figures out the big city along the way. If you've ever been unsure of yourself, you will gain confidence reading her essays.
Catherine
Katherine Lanpher writes about her move from Minnesota to New York to be Al Franken's sidekick on Air America. This book was a quick read with some interesting stories about her life and the turn of events that led to her move to New York. There was nothing about this book that knocked me out, but there were some interesting stories about her life.
Sunny
I had high hopes for this memoir. The first few chapters were intriguing. Somewhere in the middle it fell flat. I loved the stories about learning to live and thrive in NYC, however, Lanpher leaves that thread and goes off in different directions and waxes on about her life. Truly, I was bored.
On the plus side, the book is very well written.
Julie M
Read cover-to-cover during a 'snow' day in Owatonna. Great loss to St. Paul, great gain for NYC. I could relate to so many of her habits, likes/dislikes and of course we're nearly the same age so all her references were spot on with mine (Barbies, the Midwest, journalism in the '80s, etc.)
Lisa McAllister
There were moments I really enjoyed this- but it tended to go back and forth thru her memories and events that it was hard to really get into it. I just kept waiting to get to the end to see if it would be satisfying...but it just kind of ended with a dud.
Catherine
A Minnesotan moves to NYC and reflects upon her life. I saved this book from languishing on a free table during my recent move to LA; it needed me as much as I needed its savory stew of Midwestern memories and middle age angst. Thanks, Katherine.
Leticia
I worked with Katherine when I was an intern my senior year in college on her mid-morning call-in show at Minnesota Public Radio. It as interesting to the say the least to read more indepth about her life.
Sue
One of the better chronicles I've read of late. Crisp writing and lots of points. Maybe you really should wait until you have enough interesting experiences to fill a book to write one.
Kathy Szydlo
Well known host on Minnesota Public Radio moves to New York City. Well written and enjoyable, especially if you've heard and remember Katherine's warm voice and hearty laugh.
Teesa
Just OK. I was disappointed with the tone of this book, maybe it's my own mood based on my own situation. Looking for more in this book and not finding it.
JodiP
I thought this a fair book. I really think if you weren't from Minneapolis and knew of some fo the palces and people, it wouldn't have been so interesting.
Lisa C.
Loved this book as I made the opposite move at midlife- from a big city on the east coast to the Twin Cities as a single woman. Big transition!
Ellen
Jun 08, 2008 Ellen added it
Shelves: want-to-read
As seen on No Hurry In J.C..
Carla Jean
This book had the potential to be great, but it was just good.
Rajivi
Rajivi marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014