Start by marking “Batman: Death Mask” as Want to Read:
Batman: Death Mask

Batman: Death Mask (Batman)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  27 reviews
There is a new killer on the loose in Gotham City, whose appearance coincides with the arrival of an ambitious Japanese businessman, and Batman finds himself haunted by his past, when he trained in Japan.
Published November 4th 2008 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Larry
Batman + Manga = Hour well spent
Cait
This is actually my second read-through of this story. I do quite like it -- I'm wavering between three and four stars because of the artwork. It's really nice most of the time, and the backgrounds are really excellent, as are the fight scenes and the monster designs; the only place where it falls down is in adults' face. Present-day Bruce, in particular, seems off in some way that I can't quite define except to say that it involves cheekbones and jowls, although it's clear that he's an older ve ...more
Nicola Mansfield
I thought this was pretty good but a bit strange reading Batman as a manga. I liked the story much more than the illustration. This was originally published as an American 4-issue mini-series and is collected here together in a one-shot Japanese-style manga. Because of the difference in sizes the text here has been shrunk and is really just on the borderline of being too small to read for comfort(and I have perfect eyesight.) The story is pretty cool though, with the Batman chasing after a kille ...more
Amber Ditullio
Jul 05, 2011 Amber Ditullio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Super Hero comic fans
Shelves: graphic-novel
I know a lot of people that read manga, but it's one that I'd never really had an interest in. But the manga section is right next to the graphic novel section in my library, so my eyes sometimes wander that way. Being a DC Fan, Batman caught my attention. On the "I may find something new to love" theory, I picked it up. And I'm glad that I did.

For those unfamiliar with manga, they are read backward from what I'm used to with traditional English books. It took a little while to get used to the w
Terry
And the work which has become a genre unto itself shall be called: Bat-manga! Or something like that.

There’s no denying that Batman gets the manga love and that was even before Batman Begins turned the Dark Knight into a ninja. First Kia Asamiya’s absolutely gorgeous Batman: Child of Dreams was brought over to the US. Then Chip Kidd unearthed 40 year old Batman manga in Bat-manga!: The Secret History of Batman in Japan. Now, DC has released the collected Batman: Death Mask, a manga by Yoshinori
Toi Thomas
Always a fan of most things Batman, I welcomed this dark Japanese tale of Bruce Wayne and the Death Mask. This four part series is a semi origin story as it goes back in time to show where and how Bruce was trained to fight in his quest to become the Batman, but the story goes far beyond that. It tells the legend of a mask that brings out the darkness in the one who wears it, but now Batman is wondering whether the mask is really cursed or if it is the person wearing it that is cursed.

This tale
Arun Jawarlal
And in years to come, even if the past catches up to you, look to the future-Always trust Batman to deliver philosophy in style!

If you fight with the past, you'll reach a dead end and lose sight of yourself! You cannot change the past no matter what!
Fight for the future!
Wise words from Yoshinori Natsume's Batman!
Loved every inch of it.
Ashley
Oct 10, 2012 Ashley rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Ahmed Jadaa
This is like the worst nightmare come true. Batman reimagined as a manga. Not a big fan and the ideaa brought up have been implemented better by other writers. Moving on.
Kimberlee
This was an interesting take on a manga-style Batman, and was fun to read. The author explores Bruce's youth a bit (which was awesome), and intentionally incorporated Japanese elements to the story, which worked beautifully. Having some experience with Japanese folklore (mostly surrounding demons, etc.) I enjoyed recognizing certain words, terms, and name components. The story itself is interesting, exciting, well told, but doesn't earn a fifth star for missing an emotional tie to the characters ...more
Ryan Mishap
A Japanese manga artist takes up the old mask angle: is it Batman or Bruce Wayne who is the mask? A new twist involves demons called oni--one in particular whose face seems remarkably similar to the Cowled One's....

Points for the faces being cut off--the gruesomeness wedded to the comic renderings of this style make a neat juxtaposition.

Bonus points for skeleton Samurais--any book with skeletons swinging swords gets my automatic love and recommendation.
Rorshach Sridhar
I'd rather have given this a 2.5/5 rather than a 3, but at the end of the day I opted to lean up since this really wasn't a bad story; it just wasn't very entertaining. You'd think that the writer, Natsume, would've created a more engaging story for the Caped Crusader's first big manga appearance.

But who can honestly argue with the art?
Chantell  Petrell
Definitely a different take on Batman. I could see the influence of manga in the storyline, not just the artwork. I did enjoy it because I am a huge manga nerd, but if I wasn't, I could see how it'd be a disappointment to someone more accustomed to the American Batman comics. Overall, a worthwhile read. :)
Amanda
Atmopherically, Batman's first authentic manga-styled outing had its moments, but is much more supernatural than I usually like my Batman. Bruce Wayne looked a little strangely drawn in places, which I found a somewhat off-putting. Worth reading, but ultimately not very memorable.
Anne Barwell
Batman in manga style. I enjoyed the story which was an exploration of what is the mask - Bruce Wayne or Batman. Interesting seeing young Bruce in Japan and his training.

On the whole the artwork was good, but the present day Bruce Wayne looked 'off'.
Mike Jensen
Read a review that said it was wonderful, and I had just about the cover price left on a birthday present gift card. I did not think it was so wonderful. Just a comic book in an unusual format.
Amy
Excellent blend of a traditional Batman comic with Japenese art, culture, and folklore. Gives a new twist to the characters story while still holding true to the origins of the character.
Jason
I didn't like it at first, but it got better as the story progressed. Batman translates nicely to manga. I like the subtle cultural nuances that put Batman in a different light.
Nerdish Mum
I thought it was well done but the whole story just felt very rushed. I read this in about half an hour so it at least didn't take up much of my time
Karthick G
It has a typical Japanese manga style love conquers hate story line. This IS a manga. So don't expect a lot of DC elements in it.
Adam
Expected a little more from this manga Batman. At the very least, reading traditional manga style stretches ye olde brain celles.
John Yelverton
This was a complete and utter waste of my time, and I hope that they never make another book like this again.
Daver
Good, but _not so good_ for the little guys, a bit too much face slashing. Older little guys, ya know.
Fellipe Moscardini
A fun read.

If you got nothing better to do.

2.5/5
Snow
reviewing for Booklist
Patrick
manga style Batman!
Daniel Araújo
Daniel Araújo is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Batman: Battle for the Cowl Companion
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 3
  • Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol. 1
  • Batman: Birth of the Demon
  • Batman: Death and the City
  • Batman: Eye of the Beholder
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 (New Edition)
  • Batman: Death by Design
  • Batman: Ego and Other Tails
  • Batman: Night Cries
  • Black Metal: Volume 1
  • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1