Start by marking “Batman: Death Mask” as Want to Read:
Batman: Death Mask

Batman: Death Mask (Batman)

Yoshinori Natsume has contributed to Death Mask as an author.Award-winning manga artist Yoshinori Natsume made his debut in 1995 with UTENSHOYUKI in Shonen Sunday Super. TOGARI and his more recent series KUROZAKURO, both originally serialized in Weekly Shonen Sunday, have been translated and are popular with fans throughout Asia and Europe.
Published November 4th 2008 by RHUS (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Sam Quixote
Oct 09, 2016 Sam Quixote rated it it was ok
The Japanese are in town and someone’s slicing off people’s faces. Are the two connected? Yes. Time for a slightly mad billionaire to take on the foreigners - Trump Batman to the rescue!

About the only noteworthy thing about this one is the way Yoshinori Natsume’s drawn Batman: he’s accentuated his dong AND given him a banana hammock to wear! It’s so funny to see Dirk Diggler Batman swinging into action.

There are flashbacks to Bruce’s time training in Japan before becoming Batman which are meh
Dr Rashmit Mishra
Feb 24, 2016 Dr Rashmit Mishra rated it really liked it
What to say about this beauty it merges two of my favourite things Batman & manga, i would have given it 5 stars but the story still left me asking for a bit MORE ,ergo 4 stars and a definite reccomendation to all
Larry
Feb 15, 2009 Larry rated it liked it
Batman + Manga = Hour well spent
Cait
This is actually my second read-through of this story. I do quite like it -- I'm wavering between three and four stars because of the artwork. It's really nice most of the time, and the backgrounds are really excellent, as are the fight scenes and the monster designs; the only place where it falls down is in adults' face. Present-day Bruce, in particular, seems off in some way that I can't quite define except to say that it involves cheekbones and jowls, although it's clear that he's an older ve ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 18, 2014 Nicola Mansfield rated it liked it
I thought this was pretty good but a bit strange reading Batman as a manga. I liked the story much more than the illustration. This was originally published as an American 4-issue mini-series and is collected here together in a one-shot Japanese-style manga. Because of the difference in sizes the text here has been shrunk and is really just on the borderline of being too small to read for comfort(and I have perfect eyesight.) The story is pretty cool though, with the Batman chasing after a kille ...more
Parin
May 16, 2017 Parin rated it really liked it
Brilliant portrayal of Batman, manga style. At the end of the book you ask for more, but like what happens with life, you don't get everything. Everyone knows about Batman's training in martial arts what will happen to him, if his past come backs to haunt him like no other. More than a fight with villains, this book focuses on fighting with your own past. Quick read but totally worth it.
Amber Ditullio
Apr 06, 2011 Amber Ditullio rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Super Hero comic fans
Shelves: graphic-novel
I know a lot of people that read manga, but it's one that I'd never really had an interest in. But the manga section is right next to the graphic novel section in my library, so my eyes sometimes wander that way. Being a DC Fan, Batman caught my attention. On the "I may find something new to love" theory, I picked it up. And I'm glad that I did.

For those unfamiliar with manga, they are read backward from what I'm used to with traditional English books. It took a little while to get used to the w
Terry
Feb 01, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it
And the work which has become a genre unto itself shall be called: Bat-manga! Or something like that.

There’s no denying that Batman gets the manga love and that was even before Batman Begins turned the Dark Knight into a ninja. First Kia Asamiya’s absolutely gorgeous Batman: Child of Dreams was brought over to the US. Then Chip Kidd unearthed 40 year old Batman manga in Bat-manga!: The Secret History of Batman in Japan. Now, DC has released the collected Batman: Death Mask, a manga by Yoshinori
Toi Thomas
Aug 06, 2013 Toi Thomas rated it it was amazing
Always a fan of most things Batman, I welcomed this dark Japanese tale of Bruce Wayne and the Death Mask. This four part series is a semi origin story as it goes back in time to show where and how Bruce was trained to fight in his quest to become the Batman, but the story goes far beyond that. It tells the legend of a mask that brings out the darkness in the one who wears it, but now Batman is wondering whether the mask is really cursed or if it is the person wearing it that is cursed.

This tale
Ashley
Oct 10, 2012 Ashley rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Kimberlee
Feb 28, 2009 Kimberlee rated it really liked it
This was an interesting take on a manga-style Batman, and was fun to read. The author explores Bruce's youth a bit (which was awesome), and intentionally incorporated Japanese elements to the story, which worked beautifully. Having some experience with Japanese folklore (mostly surrounding demons, etc.) I enjoyed recognizing certain words, terms, and name components. The story itself is interesting, exciting, well told, but doesn't earn a fifth star for missing an emotional tie to the characters ...more
Ryan Mishap
Jul 15, 2010 Ryan Mishap rated it liked it
Shelves: batman-et-al
A Japanese manga artist takes up the old mask angle: is it Batman or Bruce Wayne who is the mask? A new twist involves demons called oni--one in particular whose face seems remarkably similar to the Cowled One's....

Points for the faces being cut off--the gruesomeness wedded to the comic renderings of this style make a neat juxtaposition.

Bonus points for skeleton Samurais--any book with skeletons swinging swords gets my automatic love and recommendation.
Arun Jawarlal
May 31, 2015 Arun Jawarlal rated it it was amazing
And in years to come, even if the past catches up to you, look to the future-Always trust Batman to deliver philosophy in style!

If you fight with the past, you'll reach a dead end and lose sight of yourself! You cannot change the past no matter what!
Fight for the future!
Wise words from Yoshinori Natsume's Batman!
Loved every inch of it.
Rorshach Sridhar
Aug 24, 2013 Rorshach Sridhar rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'd rather have given this a 2.5/5 rather than a 3, but at the end of the day I opted to lean up since this really wasn't a bad story; it just wasn't very entertaining. You'd think that the writer, Natsume, would've created a more engaging story for the Caped Crusader's first big manga appearance.

But who can honestly argue with the art?
Chantell  Petrell
Oct 04, 2012 Chantell Petrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Definitely a different take on Batman. I could see the influence of manga in the storyline, not just the artwork. I did enjoy it because I am a huge manga nerd, but if I wasn't, I could see how it'd be a disappointment to someone more accustomed to the American Batman comics. Overall, a worthwhile read. :)
Anne Barwell
Feb 26, 2013 Anne Barwell rated it really liked it
Batman in manga style. I enjoyed the story which was an exploration of what is the mask - Bruce Wayne or Batman. Interesting seeing young Bruce in Japan and his training.

On the whole the artwork was good, but the present day Bruce Wayne looked 'off'.
Amanda
Jun 14, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphical
Atmopherically, Batman's first authentic manga-styled outing had its moments, but is much more supernatural than I usually like my Batman. Bruce Wayne looked a little strangely drawn in places, which I found a somewhat off-putting. Worth reading, but ultimately not very memorable.
Daver
Jan 23, 2009 Daver rated it really liked it
Good, but _not so good_ for the little guys, a bit too much face slashing. Older little guys, ya know.
Snow
Dec 05, 2008 Snow rated it really liked it
reviewing for Booklist
Adam
Dec 20, 2008 Adam rated it it was ok
Expected a little more from this manga Batman. At the very least, reading traditional manga style stretches ye olde brain celles.
John Yelverton
Aug 05, 2011 John Yelverton rated it did not like it
This was a complete and utter waste of my time, and I hope that they never make another book like this again.
Karthick G
Nov 26, 2012 Karthick G rated it liked it
It has a typical Japanese manga style love conquers hate story line. This IS a manga. So don't expect a lot of DC elements in it.
Yashvir Dalaya
Sep 19, 2016 Yashvir Dalaya rated it really liked it
Quick and entertaining read.
Nerdish Mum
I thought it was well done but the whole story just felt very rushed. I read this in about half an hour so it at least didn't take up much of my time
Ahmed Jadaa
May 17, 2015 Ahmed Jadaa rated it it was ok
This is like the worst nightmare come true. Batman reimagined as a manga. Not a big fan and the ideaa brought up have been implemented better by other writers. Moving on.
Fellipe Moscardini
Aug 19, 2014 Fellipe Moscardini rated it it was ok
A fun read.

If you got nothing better to do.

2.5/5
Mike Jensen
Jun 16, 2009 Mike Jensen rated it it was ok
Read a review that said it was wonderful, and I had just about the cover price left on a birthday present gift card. I did not think it was so wonderful. Just a comic book in an unusual format.
Jason
I didn't like it at first, but it got better as the story progressed. Batman translates nicely to manga. I like the subtle cultural nuances that put Batman in a different light.
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 3
  • Batman: Battle for the Cowl Companion
  • Death and the City
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 3: The Wrath
  • Justice Society Returns
  • Batman International
  • Batman: Cacophony
  • Superman and Batman Vs. Vampires and Werewolves
Yoshinori Natsume 夏目義徳 Natsume Yoshinori, born August 23, 1975 in Hiroshima, Japan is a Japanese manga artist.

He created Togari and authored the prestige format Batman manga mini-series Batman: Death Mask,in April 2008. As of January 4, 2013, he is currently working on a shonen manga for Grand Jump called White Tiger.
More about Yoshinori Natsume...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1