Start by marking “Behind the Yellow Tape: On the Road with Some of America's Hardest Working Crime Scene Investigators” as Want to Read:

From the authors of Bodies We've Buried-an uncensored look at real-life CSIs. With a foreword by Patricia Cornwell.

For years, Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch trained CSIs at the National Forensic Academy in Knoxville, Tennessee. Now they provide a glimpse into the real world of crime scene investigation, and the investigators themselves. Experience, through gripping text an
Published January 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published December 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Yellow Tape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Yellow Tape

James
A mixed bag that left me with mixed feelings. The content that focused on forensic science and case studies was very interesting, if sometimes gruesome and morbid. However, I'm only giving it two stars because of two things that I felt detracted from the book.

First, if I'd been the editor, I'd have had the authors trim the parts where they lapsed into rambling accounts of their unrelated socializing with the CSI professionals they visited while writing this book - a lot of pages were devoted to
Anne
Mar 27, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
Didn't finish. It wasn't bad, but it was more about the CSIs than the crimes, so not really my cup of tea.
Sherrie
Jul 27, 2011 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
Do you watch the CSI shows on t.v.? I do and I am a true addict of crime shows. My hubby asks why I watch the gory things. It's not so much the blood and guts I watch it's the process they go through to find the bad guy. So when I saw this book at the library, I couldn't resist. It's a very different CSI from the Hollywood ones I watch. There aren't any electroic gadgets, fancy DNA that works seemingly in seconds, or gun toting police chasing down the bad guys. These CSI's work in the worst ...more
elchrys
Jul 30, 2014 elchrys rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
Clearly written by someone who’s more familiar with report writing than non-fiction, it required significant editing, which even though would cut the length in half it would offer a better reading experience. There are too many unnecessary and lengthy details about cities around the USA that resemble a copy/paste out of a travel guide.

Frequently mentioning CSI TV shows in a negative manner, only to claim in the very end that the interest in forensic studies has increased in the last decade (obv
Alexis
May 13, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, forensics
Behind the Yellow Tape gives us a glimpse into the working life of crime scene investigators (CSI) from all over the country. The authors work hard to dispell myths perpetuated by the numerous CSI spin offs in modern television. Not ever having watched any of Hollywood's depictions of CSI work, I was able to read this book with a neutral perspective.

The authors write with such vivid clarity that you feel like you're right there with the CSI's. Reading such vivid descriptions made the details of
Debbie
Jan 11, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"Behind the Yellow Tape" is a true crime book with crimes from 8 cities or counties mixed in with travelogue details about the authors' visit to the area (what they ate, what the weather was like, etc.). The authors visited various USA states and recount one big true crime case or several shorter cases for each sheriff's office or police department they visited. The true crime stories were interesting, informative, and often suspenseful. I usually skimmed over the travelogue stuff.

The authors te
Nicci
Aug 24, 2011 Nicci rated it really liked it
Really interesting book. It follows CSI's around in different states and describes how they do their job. Techniques they use to retrieve evidence even the smallest specs. How they deal bodies in snow and how and earthy burial excavation is done. You have to very patient to do a job like this!!! The process is extremely slow and can take days. Days spent out in the snow at a site, very cold and hard conditions to work in. It is a very interesting book to read. Nothing like how tv portray it. ...more
Neil Mudde
Apr 23, 2013 Neil Mudde rated it it was ok
Perhaps Large Print books attract mediocre writers, this is a book dealing with a couple who join local detectives working certain cases all over the US, perhaps getting reviews of their work, which is well deserved as many hours and days are spent on finding the culprits. and heaven knows with the gun situation in the US, there are and will be many more stories to write about horrific murders, in a country which feels the righ to bear arms is so very important, does no ever look at the results ...more
Andrea
Sep 06, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
The book followed the authors around the country as they visited various graduates of their forensic academy in their CSI work environments. Overall, the authors definitely gave me some insight into the CSI world and their differences. I enjoyed reading this book, but there were some parts in the book where I felt the authors were going on about non-related subjects. Other times, I wanted to know a bit more about the case and they wouldn't add additional information. Interesting read though.
Joyce
Jun 22, 2009 Joyce added it
Depending on how you feel about amateurism, you'll either be charmed or bemused by this account of a nationwide roadtrip visiting CSIs in different towns. There's a lot of filler about what a great guy Officer So-and-so is, and what a great cook his wife is, and what great war stories they all shared over a beer or 15. You'd have to be a REALLY devoted CSI fan to find this stuff exciting.
Tiff
Apr 28, 2016 Tiff rated it really liked it
It just told stories about how they caught the bad guys. It was interesting to read about the Texas Rangers. They are crazy! I learned about police departments all the different kinds and how they make due and improvise with what they have.
Liz De Coster
I appreciated the frank and detailed manner in which many of the case details were presented, but there was some sensationalizing, plus a lot of weirdly personal comments/opinions that made some of the digressions feel like a cross between a rant and a middle school lunch table.
Amaya
Sep 05, 2012 Amaya rated it liked it
I would have liked a bit more detail on the forensics of the described cases. A bit too much time spent reading about people you met on the training. Little forensic value.
Yvonne
Dec 10, 2013 Yvonne rated it it was ok
Not quite what I expected. At times this read like a biography of people the authors came across. Not enough focus on the technical side of of investigation. It was also poorely edited.
Sheila
Nov 14, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
Well-written, with a great depiction of the various people who make crime scene investigation their career.
Kingmack24
Kingmack24 rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Chelle
Chelle rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Mendi  winstead
Mendi winstead rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Steph
Steph rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2011
Suzii
Suzii rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Tyla Sarazin
Tyla Sarazin rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Tracy Andrea
Tracy Andrea rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Alexander Wells
Alexander Wells rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
شريف خالد
شريف خالد rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2014
Monicae
Monicae rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2009
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths
  • Killer Girlfriend
  • Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times
  • No Stone Unturned: The True Story of the World's Premier Forensic Investigators
  • A Fly for the Prosecution: How Insect Evidence Helps Solve Crimes
  • Cranioklepty: Grave Robbing and the Search for Genius
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • The Ultimate Evil: The Truth about the Cult Murders: Son of Sam and Beyond
  • Evil Eyes
  • The Killer Book of Cold Cases: Incredible Stories, Facts, and Trivia from the Most Baffling True Crime Cases of All Time
  • Serial Killer Investigations