Start by marking “Sound Bites: Eating on Tour with Franz Ferdinand” as Want to Read:
Sound Bites: Eating on Tour with Franz Ferdinand

Sound Bites: Eating on Tour with Franz Ferdinand

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The lead singer of the acclaimed, platinum-selling group Franz Ferdinand takes readers on a rock-and-roll culinary adventure around the world The extremely successful neo–New Wave band Franz Ferdinand has millions of fans around the globe, and the group’s frequent tours bring its members not only to a wide variety of places but also face to face with a wide range of food....more
Published December 1st 2006 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Sound Bites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sound Bites

eLmo Wolfe
So, the rating was a bit biased, since i love, LOVE this man and the band. But, honestly, the man can really write. Transferred from a culinary column Kapranos used to write for Guardian UK while on tour with the band, the book was breaking the rules of 'going to a foreign place, taste their food, write about it'. Instead, Kapranos wrote about other aspects around the food, what his other senses feel while eating a certain food. And even his memory.
I can actually pictured everything happened in...more
Kristine
Kapranos is the lead singer and guitarist of Scottish band Franz Ferdinand.

In 2005 and 2006, he was tapped by The Guardian to write a food column. This slim volume is a collection of those writings and other musings done on the road while touring. I think the longest story is a mere three pages...

Skipping all over the globe, the former chef turned rock star, shares with us foodie delights, anecdotes about his dining companions and his love of all foods fancy or not. His descriptions are evocati...more
This book is a compilation of articles that Kapranos wrote while on tour as the lead singer for Franz Ferdinand. The articles were published in real time in the Guardian, and I heard about the book on NPR, where Kapranos was interviewed and it peaked my interest. As someone who has cooked in a real kitchen, I feel a kinship with others who have gone through the highs and lows. And that experience will forever color how I think about food, and how I eat out, as it has also done for Kapranos. Some...more
Rory
Aug 23, 2010 Rory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Food and culture lovers, creative non-fiction readers
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my comfort books. It's the book I read when I want to fall in love with food again, the book I read when I want to be reassured the people around the food are more important than the food itself, and the book I read when I'm stuck at home but want a taste of the world outside.

I read the Guardian columns when they were first published - I'm a big Franz Ferdinand fan, and I actually saw them perform on tour during the period the book takes place, although none of the entries cover t...more
Veronica
I bought this book on a bargain not having any idea who Alex Kapranos was or that Franz Ferdinand is, in fact, a band. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this book a lot. Sound Bites made my mouth water in many parts and made me wince in disgust at others. I liked that Kapranos wrote about the most bizarre of food and places I had to look up many words on google to keep up. I found myself learning quite a number of interesting things apart from what he had already shared. I liked the way he describ...more
Eric
Entertaining but uneven collection of food commentary. The lead column is superb but not all columns live up to it - many are somewhat less than informative regarding the restaurant, and instead evoke impressions of life on the road; this may be good or bad, depending on which topic you enjoy reading about more - food or touring. On the plus side, Mr. Kapranos has a fine touch for tying together memories from his childhood/formative years and experiences on the road - those columns are the best....more
Lara
Published here are items from Alex Kapranos' Guardian column from his time on tour in 2005. Some bits are better than others, and I feel like they're really best read two or three at a time (they're each only a page or two long), rather than reading the entire book straight through. I liked the way he describes food here, as well as the ways he relates stories about his band, or his childhood, or his time as a chef, or vignettes of the people and places he encounters during the tour. And each li...more
Shui
So it turns out that Alex is a traveling foodie and therefore a man after my own heart! Little titbits in the guise of short (3-4 pages no longer) anecdotes about meals, memories and locations. I don't know why but I never imagined that it would be so well written without ever being over-clever (hence irritating). AK travels the world with the band but even if you aren't a Franz Ferdinand fan as long as you are a foodie then this book will appeal to the adventurous palate. Lord knows I am as int...more
Angela
This book gives a little bit of insight into touring with Franz Ferdinand, but you certainly don't need to be a fan of the band to enjoy the book, just a fan of food and new experiences. Descriptions of meals at exclusive restaurants are interspersed with childhood food memories, all the little stories involving something special, new or interesting. His genuine enthusiasm for trying new foods is umistakeable, but not overbearing, and I like the honesty in what experiences he did not particularl...more
will
Apr 29, 2007 will rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of travel, food, and music
a read this in one day. it's really great and has awesome funny little illustrations courtesy of franz ferdinand's touring keyboard player or something. no need to be a fan of the band to like this, but if you are curious about what touring life is like this is really good stuff. anyone who likes good travel writing should enjoy this, it's as much about where he is eating (and who with) as it is about the actual food.
Tracey
A short enjoyable read. It's nice reading books about something you know a little bit about (in this case, food) and finding that the opinions of the author seem to match with yours. Alex Kapranos has a nice conversational style of writing and he often creates paragraph-long descriptions of food utilizing some kind of metaphor. They don't always work but they keep things interesting.
Caleb Guillotte
Combining two of my loves, music and food , gives y=this book a head start, but it is Kapranos's easy, un-selfimportant journalistic approach to a travel/food diary that makes this such an easy read. Genuinely disappointed when it was over.
Ignacia
Me gustó la forma de escribir de Kapranos, no me lo imaginaba de esa forma. Sus aventuras por el mundo junto a su grupo, Franz Ferdinand fueron muy entretenidas.
Debería trabajar permanentemente en un periódico recomendando sitios donde comer.
Eso si, éste hombre es demasiado carnívoro. En más de un capítulo leí a la velocidad de la luz sólo por que quería pasar rápido las partes donde se vuelve tan detallista y explica de un modo que solo un autentico amante de la carne puede hacer. No me interes...more
matt
Dec 16, 2007 matt rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2004, hipsters with developed palates and deep pockets
within the first 5 pages, it becomes painfully obvious that Kapranos can't write. He uses awkward tenses, goes off on tangential points that last the entire "chapter" and basically lacks the personality that makes reading about food/eating even a little bit interesting.
it's a shame too because Kapranos has always come across as such a ham (pun intended) that you'd hope his writing would be just as welcoming as his persona. Having interviewed him once, I can attest to a certain swarmy charm abou...more
Amanda
not a book that inspired you, or life changing kinda book. this book has very short chapters, great book to carry around with you in your bag, just in case you get bored in the train, or waiting for something. it also has cute and simple illustrations as well. some chapters are a bit too short, i often thought, 'what?thats it?' a bit disapointing, because it started quite good, and it ended quite fast.
Leah
This was SO good! If I weren't already a Franz Ferdinand fan, I'd give them a chance solely based on Kapranos's intelligence, humor, and humility. His writing is brilliant - beautiful and evocative. I felt like I was seeing what he and the band were seeing and eating what they were eating. I'm so glad I was finally able to get my hands on this one and read it!
Micaela
Aug 06, 2008 Micaela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, music lovers
This is a fantastic collection of short essays from the lead singer of Franz Ferdinand. I picked this up in Heathrow Airport and I'd finished it by the time I landed in New York seven hours later. Kapranos' writing is excellent, and the characters and locales detailed in your book will transport you to exotic, enticing places.
Nick
Alex Kapranos is not only the lead singer for the band Franz Ferdinand, but a gifted essayist. Here he writes about eating and the experiences associated with it while on a world tour. It's a fantastic read and I highly reccommend it. A few more books of essays like this, and Kapranos could fashion himself into a modern EB White.
Laila
About food, so I liked it. The author wrote in a sort of way that I enjoyed initially and was irritated by halfway through. Although I did read it in one sitting so maybe i should have taken a break from it. Regardless, it's always fun to read about great meals from someone who clearly loves food.
Brooke Everett
A fun food book with an extremely different perspective. His writing style swerves from thought to thought, the next thought always being something completely unexpected. It ends with a nice touch: there's a list in the back of the book with the information on where to find all the restaurants he mentions.
Megan
Sep 29, 2008 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Oh man, I really wanted to like this book, and I finally found it at the Strand for super cheap. And I was disappointed, unfortunately. It just wasn't what I expected. Luckily it was really short and didn't take much time to read. Oh well.
Stefan
Makes you want to share a meal with Alex Kapranos. It gets quite redundant but fortunately it's a quick read. Must have been nice to read the columns in the paper but as a collection, the interest fades quickly.
Mark Wallsy
Kapranos writes about dining whilst touring with all the knowledge of a former chef and the grace of a true critic. As much a diary of life on the road as it is a gourmand's guide to world eateries. Quite brilliant.
lia
Okay, so I got this for free at ALA, and I didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. Part travel writing, part food writing, he mixes the typical tour diary with funny, smart, weird food experiences.
Cynthia
A compliation of essays originally written for the Observer by the lead singer of Franz Ferdinand, _Sound Bites_, is a fast and fun review of food and local culture from all over the world.
Marina Kinas
Foi um presente e faz muito tempo que li. Ganhei porque eu adorava franz ferdinand, adorava cozinhar e talvez eu fosse cursar gastronomia.
Não lembro muito bem, só sei que curti, mas não tanto assim.
Ami
I bet these were delightful to read once a week in the paper, but all together like this they were a bit boring. I do think Alex has a way with words that is better than expected, though.
Joshua
the man loves food, and he knows his stuff. i'm glad i like food. and the rock music. it was a quick read and worth it. the man knows when a restaurant is full of bs.
annie pham
this is really easy to put down and come back to later since it's just a book of essays. as greggO said, "it's a good bathroom read."
  • Bit of a Blur: The Autobiography
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Lennon
  • The Walrus Was Paul: The Great Beatle Death Clues
  • Nick Drake: The Biography
  • Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
The Blessing