Start by marking “A Beautiful Girl” as Want to Read:
A Beautiful Girl

A Beautiful Girl

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
On her way to market Jenna makes four new friends. Along with Baby Elephant, there's Robin, who thinks Jenna has a very silly beak; Fly, who wonders where her hundred eyes are; and Goldfish, who thinks she has very goofy gills. Kirkus has written that "the power and grace in Schwartz's spare style and language lies in the fact that she never condescends to young readers—sh ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about A Beautiful Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beautiful Girl

Aprils
Jul 03, 2013 Aprils rated it really liked it
In this book, a girl named Jenna meets animals who tell her about their nose, mouth, eyes, and ears. The girl compares what she does with her body with what the animals do with their bodies. This book has a lot of personality. I think that children would enjoy this book and find it very funny.
Dolly
Sep 21, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
This is a sweet and funny little story about a little girl who compares her senses to those of various animals. The narrative is short and ends on a soothing note that makes it good for bedtime reading.

It's probably most appropriate for younger children and I'm not sure what inspired me to borrow it from the library, but we enjoyed reading it together. Our oldest said that it was probably because I was thinking of our own 'beautiful girls' and I couldn't agree more.
Lauren
Sep 22, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is one of my new favorite books now! It's absolutely adorable and has great pictures! The story also teaches the difference between a little girl and multiple other animals and what each of them do with the various body parts they have.
Kaycee Greenwood
Sep 22, 2014 Kaycee Greenwood rated it really liked it
As I was reading this book tons of lesson plans jumped in to my head. This would be a great book to introduce sense and what we use them for. The illustration are very colorful and the writing was very loving and warm.
Wendy Wayling
Jan 11, 2009 Wendy Wayling rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A delightful picture book for reading aloud. On her way to the market Jenna meets a number of different animals who think Jenna is silly because she doesn't look like them.
Jenny
May 27, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wasn't a big fan of the illustrations, but the story was pretty cute.
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jan 12, 2016
Inara
Inara rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Dana Vaden
Dana Vaden rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
Apr 09, 2015
The Bougie Twins
The Bougie Twins rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Jj
Jj rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Silly
Silly marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Katrina Burger
Katrina Burger rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Moriah
Moriah marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Gretchen W
Gretchen W rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Mary Trujillo
Mary Trujillo marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Amy Schwartz is the author and illustrator of many picture books for children, including Begin at the Beginning; Things I Learned in Second Grade; Bea and Mr. Jones, a Reading Rainbow feature; What James Likes Best, recipient of the 2004 Charlotte Zolotow Award; and a glorious day. She lives in Brooklyn, New York with her husband Leonard S. Marcus, and their son, Jacob.
More about Amy Schwartz...