Ruth Law Thrills a Nation

Ruth Law Thrills a Nation

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In 1916 a young woman named Ruth Law attempted to fly from Chicago to New York City in one day--something no one else had ever done. This is the story of that daring attempt. Beautifully detailed watercolors dramatize a dangerous journey made by the pilot President Woodrow Wilson called "great." Full-color illustrations.
Published August 2nd 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

Connie
Ruth Law. Gosh, aviators make good heroes for kids! I mean, they're up in the sky, daring, soaring free as a bird in that carefree day before shoe bombers and seat belts. Wow.

Well, not SO carefree, Ruth had to basically build her airplane out of hope and prayers after she was not allowed to purchase a new one. Too many people had died already, hadn't they?

This book is about her attempt to fly from Chicago to NYC in one day. She didn't succeed, but the news kept tabs on her all day and she, you...more
Ch_amyM
This is the story of Ruth Law's flight from Chicago to New York City. She is the first person to do it, and in an open plane in the middle of November none the less. The story starts in Chicago where she sleeps on the roof of a hotel so that she is ready for the freezing temperatures. After layering on the clothes she takes off on a journey that has more than one surprise.
I watched the Reading Rainbow version of this story and was reminded of my days in Elementary School watching other Reading R...more
Robert
A wonderful story of Ms. Law. It is easily told with nice illustrations. We learn about the rough flight Ms. Law took from Chitown to the Big Apple. It has me pondering why she flew in winter given the difficulty that posed. I also wonder how NYC knew to have the parade the following day. I guess via telegraph.

This book meshes well with the Amelia Earhart story we are reading this week.

Nice book that I will read again to the students. Have to love anchor books. ;)
Tyanne
Nov 27, 2007 Tyanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd- 4th
Shelves: nonfiction
inspirational to women whil still showing good sence. Colorful illistrations. I really thought this book was a good look at what a women who was self sufficient would be doing durring a time when women are not considered as strong. Love the pants under the dress for practicality and yet the dress for being properly dressed.
Cece
I would use this book during a history lesson. It's a true story about the adventures of Ruth Law trying to fly from Chicago to NYC in one day. She wasn't able to set that record, but for a year her record was flying nonstop 590 miles.
Matthew
This was Don Brown's first book for children and I couldn't be more impressed. I loved this book. I admire Ruth Law and am once again astounded by the writing of Don Brown.
Zonia
Great, easy biography of Ruth law's flight from Chicago to New York in 1916.
Daniel
I had a friend in Miami who began his flying career flying with Ruth Law.

Kari
consistently love Don Brown and his picture book heroines.
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Karen Julissa
Karen Julissa marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
765 marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
JackandAnnie
JackandAnnie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Whitney Adams
Whitney Adams marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Ty Yankey
Ty Yankey marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Michelle Labadorf
Michelle Labadorf marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
4198059

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pac...more
More about Don Brown...
America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison