Hidden

Hidden

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A captivating debut novel, Hidden marvelously re-creates New York City in the 1920s, from the hustle and bustle of the Lower East Side to the hushed hallways of the homes of the rich and powerful. In graceful, eloquent prose, Victoria Lustbader presents a fierce, compelling story of loyalty, forbidden desire and the end of innocence.
Both panoramic and intimate, Hidden tee...more
Published June 13th 2006 by Forge Books (first published 2006)

Megs
Aug 22, 2007 Megs rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: looking for new and different historical fiction
This book shows a rawer and more truthful side of the New York in the 20's.
Sara
Probably 3.5 stars. This book is long, and because of the two families it detailed and all the family members these families included, I was extremely glad to find a family tree charting everyone at the beginning of the book. If that hadn't been there, I may have given up on the book, lost in confusion. As it was, the book was pretty good, though the beginning was a little slow and it took a while for me to really warm up to it overall. I don't know how else to describe the plot except it focuse...more
Bren
I enjoy novels that are well set in another time period and this one did it well. The character development was on point. It did take a while for the story to unfold and that may lose the interest of an inpatient reader. However it is worth the wait with a fine captivating ending that also provides great insight to the mindset of that era as well as the true unavoidable understanding of a persons nature.
Pbwritr
I loved this book. Family saga set in early 1900s, first during WWI and up to 1927. Amazing insight into the surface and secret lives of people, the accommodations we make in our lives for love, power, money, to hide secrets, pride, etc. Very complex relationships in this book of a very wealthy family that takes David, from a poor background, under its wing, and how so many of them love David and how he affects all their lives. Poor Jed, learning he was gay, then blackmailed about ti, and taking...more
Dawn
This was a well written and engaging book full of characters that were complex and multi-dimensional. It had a number of intriguing plot lines and in the end it delivered most of what I was hoping to get. I had a hard time connecting emotionally with the book, though and I am not really sure why.
I was a little worried about how some of the topics would be presented and on that level my fears were unjustified. There are many touchy issues addressed and sometimes I thought that there were just to...more
Jenni
My fav book in life
Erin K
I chose this book in order to find something similar to Downton Abbey - family secrets, drama, and all set in my favorite era (1920s). While it had all of those things, the descriptive detail included with the characters' personal physical relationships was a little too much for me. So while the author's intent is a 4, maybe 5 star rating, those few scenes left too little to my imagination and dropped it down to a 3.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book started out with a lot of promise but as the story went along, it got slower. I also found it difficult to keep track of all of the different characters. Thank goodness for the family tree in the front of the book!

This book tells the story of Jed and David who meet fighting together in WWI. The story covers their families and the events that occur several years after they return home.
Trish
The type of booked called "sprawling" and it's apt here. Weaves stories of a monied protestant family with Fifth Avenue, Gramercy Park and Washington Park addresses with a Jewish immigrant family on the Lower East side. Ambitious, and interesting in parts, but full of cliches.
Kim
I really enjoyed this book. So many relationships are discussed, all with their own connection to the other and all with their own drama, stress and successes. A great read, based in the depression era, it makes us understand how life was back then for most. Do read!
Shannon
Apr 23, 2009 Shannon rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I think that the jacket to this book was really misleading. For most of the book I couldn't find a plot, it didn't make much sense. I was reading it but it didn't seem to go anywhere.
Alexia
Not something I would typically pick up but a friend recommended it. Couldn't put it down!
Maureen
I read this for my book club. Not what we were expecting. Too miniseries/harlequin for me.
Sabrina
Couldn't finish reading it. It just did not hold my attention.
Tara Clontz
Great book - started out slow, but I was blown away by the ending
Lindsay
Interesting, until the subject matter took a turn for the worse...
Pam
Jun 10, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, new-york
06/09/08 rec via bookmooch
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Jun 18, 2014
Julie Brueggemann
Julie Brueggemann marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Olivia Eliza
Olivia Eliza marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Michelle Carlson
Michelle Carlson marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Victoria Schochet Lustbader was born and raised in New York City, the youngest of three children and only daughter of Rubin Schochet, a Lithuanian émigré, and Dorothy Hertz Schochet, a second generation Russian.

Drawn to the arts from a young age, Victoria studied ballet for ten years, played the piano and guitar, wrote poetry and stories. Always fascinated as well with the sciences and languages,...more
More about Victoria Lustbader...
Stone Creek Approaching the Speed of Light