Peter Duck (Swallows and Amazons, #3)

Peter Duck (Swallows and Amazons #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  948 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Why do they call him Black Jake? Is it because of his hair?' Titty asked.
'Because of his heart' said Peter Duck.

The Swallows and Amazons, as well as Captain Flint and the ancient able seaman Peter Duck, set sail on the Wild Cat bound for the Channel. But they are shadowed by the Viper, manned by none other than Black Jake -- a beastly pirate with a dark plan. Can the child...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Red Fox (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter Duck

Patricia
I found and read the Swallows and Amazons series in my early 20s. I am only sorry I did not find them earlier. Stories of the family's summer adventures are beautifully written, and encourage responsible and creative living. Self reliance, intelligent reasoning skills, and strong imagination with these children provide an excellent backdrop for this series of books, as well as strong roll-models for any youngsters reading them.
Wendy
As a child these were my favourite books, I loved stories of adventure and my family holidayed in the English Lake District where these books are set so I knew the places they visited.
Whilst on holiday I would imagine meeting the Swallows and Amazons on every lake. At school my friends and I would play Swallows and Amazons. My best friend Sarah and I, being the only ones who were truly obsessed by the books would take charge and we would, of course, be the Amazons. Sarah was always Nancy and I,...more
Steve Johgart
Aug 20, 2013 Steve Johgart rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: My mom
Where in the first two books in the series the children create imaginary epic adventures out of ordinary vacations in England's Lake District, in this book they embark on a genuine epic adventure. They're off in the great two-masted sailing ship with Captain Flint and old tar Peter Duck on a treasure hunt in the Caribbean (or the Caribbees, as they call it). They are chased by a seriously evil pirate and his crew, experience a hurricane and an earthquake, and generally have a rousing, at times f...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
In the third book of the series, the children are going on an ocean sailing voyage with their uncle. What starts out as a pleasure trip turns more serious when the old man Captain Flint hires to replace an absent seaman knows about an old treasure on a place called Crab Island. Some unsavory types know he knows, too, and soon Flint and the kids are dealing with real pirates, real deserted islands, and real, deadly weather.

I didn't like this one as much as the first because the book is more about...more
Beth
Jack and I loved this book. It is the third book in the Swallows and Amazons series - I liked it the best. Jack liked it too, but says book two is better.
Deborah
Quite simply the best book ever wri... oh, hang on, isn't that what I put for Swallows and Amazons?

This has, of course, the natural dialogue, real characters, and detailed scenery you would expect from Arthur Ransome; and there are maps and diagrams for those of us who are weak in geography or the construction and operation of sailing vessels. It also has a carefully-paced, and quite brilliant, plot. Let it unfold, and you will suddenly and unexpectedly find your heart racing and your eyes readi...more
Jonathon Dabell
The third Swallows and Amazons saga is, for me, the best so far. The story moves away from the Lake District and catches up with the same characters in Lowestoft, where they board a new bigger vessel and prepare for a sail around the real sea under the tutelage of Captain Flint. When Captain Flint picks up a new friend - the titular Peter Duck - things take a dramatic turn. For Peter Duck knows about a buried treasure in the Caribees... trouble is, some local cut-throats headed by the vile Black...more
Jonathon Dabell
Melinda
This book is the 3rd of the "Swallows and Amazons" series of 12. While not our favorite, it is an interesting story and we certainly have enjoyed reading it aloud.

What is so delightful about this book is again the joyful flipping from reality into imaginative play. The Walker children and the Blackett sisters are once again involved in a wild adventure. However this story is of a different type. Peter Duck the character was introduced in "Swallowdale", the 2nd book in the series. In that book, P...more
Hillvan
This book has both the Amazons and Swallows, plus Uncle Jim. Through a series of happenings they end up looking for treasure on a dessert island. Along the way they run into a lot of nasty pirates, a volcano, an earthquake and then a water spout. This book is a bit more "rough" than the other books, (pirates wanting to kill, so there are definite bad guys). Yet so many great characteristics. Great team work, a sense of belonging, excitement, adults that care, responsible and self sufficient chil...more
Carolynne
In _Swallows and Amazons_ the children play at being pirates; in _Peter Duck_they go off on a treasure hunt with their uncle Jim, aka Capt. Flint, and encounter real pirates. Peter Duck is a salty old seadog who has a lead on the treasure and who helps Capt. Flint and the children find it. This is a suspenseful, but implausible story. Still the realistic setails of the sea voyage--what a tremendous opportunity for six kids just learning how to sail. Even without the vicious pirates, this would b...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I really was not crazy about this book when I first started reading it. I felt very distanced from the characters, after becoming so attached to them in the earlier books, and I found the separation of these imagined Walkers from the “real” ones to be very jarring. I was actually thankful for each footnote Nancy, Roger, and others provided, because it gave me a much-needed glimpse back into the “real” narrative. The latter half of the book did pick up quite a bit, and once I was invested in the...more
Linda Clader
My fourth grade teacher read this to our class, and this is the second time I've re-read it since. A great yarn, starring a delightful bunch of English kids, plus pirates. In some ways the Swallows and Amazons stories are dated (pub. 1932), most obviously in the stereotypical sex-roles (e.g., the girls do all the shipboard housework, cooking, etc), but the female captain Nancy is much more heroic than her male counterpart. Lively writing, good suspense, and satisfying conclusion. Read it to your...more
Tim
Totally unbelievable but leaves you wishing it were!
Of course this was a fantasy made up by the Swallows and Amazons and the Amazons uncle, Captain Flint. They had taken a boat on the Broads and as it rained most of the time they made up this story to while away the time. This explains the presence of Peter Duck who was Titty 's imaginary companion in Swallowdale.
It also explains how it is that Susan is suddenly able to produce edible meals, having never been able to do so before. You can do any...more
Joan
Sep 19, 2013 Joan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure and sailing fans
Captain Flint (Uncle Jim) take the Swallows and Amazons on a sail to a tropical island in search of treasure followed by the bad guys. They have some wonderful times and frightening times but the bad guys get their poetic justice. This wouldn't be my favorite Swallows and Amazons but it is very good and lots of fun. Definite read if you are going through the series. I've always wanted to try sailing because of this series but how do you keep hearing aids dry in such an environment?
Allison Elizabeth
The adventure is grander and more exciting that the first three books, which makes it more of a stretch to believe, but still a very enjoyable story about kids and adults facing danger and working together creatively to survive perils on sea and land. I love this series. The only thing I wish I could change is that it is so influenced by the mindset of colonialism in which overt racism is the norm. But I doubt it could have been written at another time, so I take it as it is.
Eleanor
My mum bought be the whole set of the "Swallows and Amazons" series as a child, and I also had them on audio tape. I much preferred listening to them than reading, because they made long car journeys pass quicker, and also the writing style of Arthur Ransome was, at times, hard going.

It was an inspiring book! Although I found reading such long narratives as a child tedious, I've come to appreciate the entire world of childhood freedom created by Ransome.
David R.  Godine
"In many ways Peter Duck is the best of the series."
Guardian

"This is the stuff of real imagination which might so easily happen . . . all the details are true to life, the ship is a real ship, with all its sails and rigging made familiar, and the voyage which those happy children make to southern seas and coral islands is the beautiful possibility of daring and freedom become living and credible."
Listener
Mary Taitt
I love Arthur Ransome, and this book lives up to my hopes and expectations. This one is a cliff hanger. The Swallow and Amazon children go sailing in the ocean with Captain Flint, Peter Duck, an old sailor, and a boy--they get chased by pirates--real pirates in a search for buried treasure. It's a page-turner for sure. Lots of fun, excitement and danger.(Looking for a good book for a child? Start with Swallows and Amazons.)
Claire
The stakes are definitely raised in Peter Duck, the third book in the Swallows and Amazons series.

A ripping adventure! Lets you enjoys the rigors of sailing vicariously.

I recommend reading them in order to learn all the characters and their relationships. The kids in these books are pretty awesome: reliable, helpful, kind, hardworking, and they are rewarded for it with a freedom you don't much see nowadays.
Lynne
When the Swallows and Amazons, under the leadership of Captain Flint, set a course for adventure, they don't look back. Now that they're out on the open seas, there are real pirates, real treasure, and real dangers that even the laissez-faire parents of England between the wars might not be too happy to hear about. Good thing none are on board.
Melody
If you are looking for an easy yet intriguing read, then you've found them here. The whole series contain stories about four children and their imaginative travels...kind of like the chronicles of narnia but slightly more down to earth, and lots of fun. They made me laugh a lot, and helped me to see life a little bit more brightly.
Olivia
Great escapism, just what I needed!
Kathryn McCary
Third in the Swallows & Amazons series--and one of two which are clearly adventures invented by the children themselves, rather than recountings of their actual adventures. And, yes, I know they are fictional--but the distinction is valid, and interesting to observe in action.
Mike Thomas
Another adventure from the Swallows and Amazons crews, this time on an ocean voyage with Captain Flint and Peter Duck. Is it a story they made up while bored on holidays, or did this action packed adventure really happen?
Sho
This time Ransome relates what happens to the crews of the Swallow and the Amazon when they sail to a south sea island in search of treasure...

or is it all a tale that they made up together?
Muff

Listening to this as an adult, I can't believe Cap'n Flint leaves the S & As to survive an earthquake and major storm by themselves.

Ripping good yarn!
Kelsey Thomson
Awesome. Diffrent, yet kept all the things I loved from "Swallows and Amazons", and "Swallowdale". Still had that slow paced excitement and made me long to go to sea
Grillables
More adventure with the Swallows and Amazons - much less believable and with a little too much technical detail for me (topmast staysail whatnow?), but still enjoyable.
Kelly
Not my fav Swallows and Amazons but still fun reading!
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3)
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (Doctor Dolittle, #8)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Box Of Delights
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • The Children of the New Forest
  • Carbonel: The King of Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • The Magic Summer
  • South Sea Adventure
  • Puck of Pook's Hill
Arthur Mitchell Ransome was born in Leeds in 1884 and educated in Windermere and Rugby. His family spent their summers at Nibthwaite, to the south of Coniston Water.

In 1902, Ransome abandoned a chemistry degree to become a publisher's office boy in London. He used this precarious existence to practise writing, producing several minor works before Bohemia in London (1907), a study of London's artis...more
More about Arthur Ransome...
Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1) Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6) Swallowdale (Swallows and Amazons, #2) Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4) We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (Swallows and Amazons, #7)