Start by marking “Falling Toward Heaven” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Falling Toward Heaven

John Bennion

Falling Toward Heaven

Alone at the airport, Howard Rockwood has some decisions to make. After two years away on an LDS mission, should he return to his Utahranch lifestyle or follow Allison, the educated, brown-eyed, non-Mormon girl who invades his dreams? Bennion gives a compelling tale that goes to show that you can take the boy out of Mormonism, but you can't take Mormonism out of the boy.
Published October 4th 2000 by Signature Books (first published July 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Toward Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Toward Heaven

Helynne
Jun 30, 2009 Helynne rated it liked it
It isn't easy to be an English professor at BYU and a novelist at the same time. I heard rumors from a friend of Dr. John Bennion, that after the publication of this 2000 novel, Bennion's job security was in question for a time. Fortunately, Bennion seems to have held on both to his teaching position and his integrity as a novelist. Falling Toward Heaven is not your usual Mormon novel that tows the party line and panders to the traditional and sentimental missionary spirit. Elder Howard Rockwoo ...more
kyliemm
Aug 11, 2010 kyliemm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-summer
I give this book five stars because I think it's the only piece of Mormon fiction I've ever read that does what Mormon fiction should do: function as a novel about people dealing with elements of their Mormon faith without becoming trite or dramatic or forgetting to be a novel. This book is fabulously written with fully dimensional characters, gorgeous landscapes, and no trite, easy solutions. It's not typical "Mormon fiction," meaning something written by Mormons for Mormons (a la Chris ...more
Lora
Apr 15, 2008 Lora rated it it was ok
I'm still torn as to how I'd rate this book. I vacillated between dislike and like. Maybe I should say it was worth 2.5 stars. I liked the imagery the author used to represent aspects of Howard's and Allison's personal journeys. I had a hard time initially buying their relationship at all, but by the end felt that Bennion painted a realistic portrait of the ways people allow love to change them.
Ross
Apr 12, 2011 Ross rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel. I liked the characters and felt like it was well written. It was a good story about someone struggling with his faith that I found still uplifting. i felt like the descriptions of the people were real. it was funny to read about rural utah and missionaries in Houston in the same novel.
Amy
Mar 18, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I really like Bennion's writing style--very lush, vivid language and beautiful descriptions. I also liked his honest treatment of difficult spiritual issues.
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2009
Marshall Comstock
Marshall Comstock rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2011
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2011
Daryoung
Daryoung rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
Zina
Zina rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Wendy Jensen
Wendy Jensen rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2014
James
James rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2011
Rober Hodgson
Rober Hodgson rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2007
Val
Val rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2010
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2011
May Ryan
May Ryan rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Ryan Robinson
Ryan Robinson rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2007
Katie Sorensen
Katie Sorensen rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2011
William Bost
William Bost marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2011
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
thaabit
thaabit marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Lindsay B
Lindsay B marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Hannah Carlson
Hannah Carlson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016