Start by marking “Type: The Secret History of Letters” as Want to Read:
Type: The Secret History of Letters

Type: The Secret History of Letters

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  7 reviews
If you've ever wondered exactly what a Zapf is, or if Baskerville has anything to do with Sherlock Holmes, Type is the answer to these questions and more. This is the story of the passions, and obsessions of the creator of type; of the influences of wars, persecution, and political upheaval, and the effects of business and technological breakthroughs on fonts and typograph
Published June 12th 2006 by I. B. Tauris (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Type

Ah, the poverty of Times New Roman . . .: Even though I'm not a typographer or type-designer, when I began engaging in desktop publishing a decade ago and sought out guidance for the decisions I suddenly had to make, I became interested in the history and minutiae of fonts and letterforms for their own sake. Also, in pursuit of a master's degree in library science more than thirty years ago, I took an elective in the "History of Books and Printing," so the background knowledge was already there. ...more
Julie Bozza
A brilliant book about typography and the people who've designed it, from Gutenberg and the others involved in creating printing, to the present, with some brief, interesting speculation about the future. I was most interested in the analysis along the way of different fonts and styles, and in how (as with any human endeavour) they have been influenced by individual personalities through to world-sized events.

While I wasn't mad keen on the cover of this edition, it made its point. The wonderful
Joe
I finished it!

The writing's fine, I suppose. And for a book about type and typesetting, it's a pretty finely designed paperback.

But... there's nothing "secret" about this book.... Most of it is simply untold because it's not all that interesting.

I am able to recognize and contextualize many more fonts now, though. It's not worthless, but it was a slog to get though some of this.
Keli Rylance
Simultaneous Reading: As I found this coupled with Alexander Lawson's "Anatomy of a Typeface" was more enjoyable than as individual books: they augment one another. Simon Loxley, a graphic designer, dramatizes key typographic innovations through the personalities of the designers. Featured: Edward Johnston's letters for the London Underground; Jan Tschischold's New Typography.
Jen
Oct 18, 2007 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of type
Shelves: design
This book covers everything from the development of Movable Type, the Private Press Movement, 21st Century type and all the fonts in between. Fun to read...if your into that kind of thing.
Lee Hunter
Jan 03, 2009 Lee Hunter marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
this book is one of those single issue history books about type and the people who created the first typefaces. it's interesting so far, we'll see what happens.
Minardi
Font history!
Gavin Williams
Gavin Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Bodhi
Bodhi marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Katelyn Berg
Katelyn Berg marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Bryan Hensley
Bryan Hensley marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jeri
Jeri marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Arumfaerie
Arumfaerie marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Jennifer Gergen
Jennifer Gergen is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Design Writing Research
  • Visual Grammar
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • The New Typography
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • Detail In Typography
  • Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • The Complete Manual of Typography
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Typographic Design: Form and Communication
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Graphic Design Theory: Readings from the Field
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
Simon Loxley is a graphic designer and writer on design, typography and design history.
More about Simon Loxley...
Printer's Devil: The Life and Work of Frederic Warde