Start by marking “Re-Creative: 50 Projects for Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design” as Want to Read:
Re-Creative: 50 Projects for Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design

Re-Creative: 50 Projects for Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design

Previously Announced. Recycle. Restore. Repurpose.

This unique book inspires art, creation, and environmentalism with 50 projects that transform yesterday's trash into today's stylish and useful objects. Using found, discarded, and cast-off items as a foundation-from old computer cases, soda cans, and record album covers to foam packing-readers can fashion stylish clocks,
Published November 22nd 2006 by HP Trade

To ask other readers questions about Re-Creative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re-Creative

Cookav
May 21, 2015 Cookav rated it it was amazing
Re-creative shows how dejected everyday objects can receive a new life through re-creation. There are lots of clever ideas, like turning old candy wrappers into a bowl, changing old records into a hanging wall organizer, and making flower vases from large cardboard tubes.

I think that all of the projects in this book are extremely innovative. Also, the projects are variable depending on what you have on hand. Each of the projects has a diagram that shows how much time the project takes and how m
Ava C
May 27, 2016 Ava C rated it really liked it

Melissa Massello
Jun 12, 2009 Melissa Massello rated it really liked it
Featured in DIY Modern Design: Making it Recreative on ShoestringMag.com :

"One man's trash is another man's modern design, or at least so found Steve Dodds, Queens-based architect and professional "maker." In his popular DIY bible, Re-Creative, Dodds offers up 50+ project ideas for repurposing curbside finds and materials into high-concept modern furniture and home accessories."
Rachel
Sep 16, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafting
I like the idea of using found items to make new things, so this book seemed like a perfect instruction to get started on that. I was disappointed by the lack of really cool projects and the fact that most of them you would need a professional for because I'm sure I couldn't do them on my own. I did like the ideas for the CPU computer cover case table, the Wine Crate Table, Stone Drawer Pulls, Electric Fan/Wok Lid Bowls, Tin Can Pen Rack, and the CD Case Photo Display. 3 stars.
Tamara
Mar 01, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
Shelves: green, crafty, non-fiction
Some cute ideas. A lot of the projects were less crafty and more construction-like in nature. (Drilling in cement blocks, etc.) Required a few too many tools that I do not own.

Plus, I'm getting a little snobby when it comes to "recycled" or "reused" crafts. When the end product has more new materials than old materials in it, can you really call it a "green" craft?

Kelley
Aug 13, 2008 Kelley rated it really liked it
Excellennt projects - but I get more thrill out of reading about them than I do 'doing' these kinds of things. I DO like the front cover idea - making a clock out of an old tin and there were a few others I'll make copies of to stash away with the hopes of doing them someday.
Andrea Marley
Jan 24, 2014 Andrea Marley rated it it was amazing
So Good!!
Cindy May
Jan 29, 2016 Cindy May rated it it was amazing
bought it for $3 at Garden Ridge recently. Although I haven't yet made any of the projects inside, there are some really good ideas. I can't wait to get cracking!
Brooke Laura
pass it on...
Melissa
Dec 04, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
I wish I had a workshop!
Janet
Mar 19, 2007 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting, inspiration
wicked good inspiration
Marian
Dec 10, 2008 Marian rated it liked it
Just a few ideas in here of worth to me, but it was a library find and I hadn't purchased it so 3 stars
Kate
Mar 27, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-a-holic
I am completely inspired to turn my old 1962 vintage "12,000 Girl Scouts Sing!" album cover into a fabulous clock now! Soon it will hang, kitschly and proudly,on my wall!
Megan
Apr 05, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok
Not one project I would use in my home. But the concepts should be easily adapted.
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2010
Emelda
Emelda rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
AM
AM rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2009
Brett Olivia
Brett Olivia rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2012
Charity
Charity rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Hanna
Hanna rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2009
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Chelsee
Chelsee rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Vicky
Vicky rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2010
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2012
Di
Di rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2010