Start by marking “Re-Creative: 50 Projects for Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design” as Want to Read:
Re-Creative: 50 Projects for Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design

Re-Creative: 50 Projects for Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Previously Announced. Recycle. Restore. Repurpose.

This unique book inspires art, creation, and environmentalism with 50 projects that transform yesterday's trash into today's stylish and useful objects. Using found, discarded, and cast-off items as a foundation-from old computer cases, soda cans, and record album covers to foam packing-readers can fashion stylish clocks,
Published November 22nd 2006 by HP Trade

To ask other readers questions about Re-Creative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re-Creative

Cookav
Re-creative shows how dejected everyday objects can receive a new life through re-creation. There are lots of clever ideas, like turning old candy wrappers into a bowl, changing old records into a hanging wall organizer, and making flower vases from large cardboard tubes.

I think that all of the projects in this book are extremely innovative. Also, the projects are variable depending on what you have on hand. Each of the projects has a diagram that shows how much time the project takes and how m
Megan
Not one project I would use in my home. But the concepts should be easily adapted.
Melissa Massello
Featured in DIY Modern Design: Making it Recreative on ShoestringMag.com :

"One man's trash is another man's modern design, or at least so found Steve Dodds, Queens-based architect and professional "maker." In his popular DIY bible, Re-Creative, Dodds offers up 50+ project ideas for repurposing curbside finds and materials into high-concept modern furniture and home accessories."
Rachel
I like the idea of using found items to make new things, so this book seemed like a perfect instruction to get started on that. I was disappointed by the lack of really cool projects and the fact that most of them you would need a professional for because I'm sure I couldn't do them on my own. I did like the ideas for the CPU computer cover case table, the Wine Crate Table, Stone Drawer Pulls, Electric Fan/Wok Lid Bowls, Tin Can Pen Rack, and the CD Case Photo Display. 3 stars.
Tamara
Some cute ideas. A lot of the projects were less crafty and more construction-like in nature. (Drilling in cement blocks, etc.) Required a few too many tools that I do not own.

Plus, I'm getting a little snobby when it comes to "recycled" or "reused" crafts. When the end product has more new materials than old materials in it, can you really call it a "green" craft?

Kelley
Excellennt projects - but I get more thrill out of reading about them than I do 'doing' these kinds of things. I DO like the front cover idea - making a clock out of an old tin and there were a few others I'll make copies of to stash away with the hopes of doing them someday.
Kate
I am completely inspired to turn my old 1962 vintage "12,000 Girl Scouts Sing!" album cover into a fabulous clock now! Soon it will hang, kitschly and proudly,on my wall!
Marian
Just a few ideas in here of worth to me, but it was a library find and I hadn't purchased it so 3 stars
Dolldiva
Interesting projects. Not for me.
Janet
wicked good inspiration
Melissa
I wish I had a workshop!
Jesse
Sep 18, 2008 Jesse rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
pass it on...
Arun Raj
Arun Raj marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Sylvia Donmoyer
Sylvia Donmoyer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Elizabeth Alarcón
Elizabeth Alarcón marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tools: A Tool-By-Tool Guide to Choosing and Using 150 Home Essentials Re Creative: 50 Projects For Turning Found Items Into Contemporary Design Tools: The Right Tool for Every Job No Printer Zone - Issue 1 - November 2011