Start by marking “Best Friends” as Want to Read:
Best Friends

Best Friends

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Kathy feels lonely and betrayed when her best friend goes away for the summer and has a wonderful time.
Published April 14th 1986 by Dial (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Best Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Friends

Emily
Aug 23, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Loved this book so much as a child. Glad that I got my copy signed by Steven Kellogg.
Chloe
Jan 30, 2014 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-rainbow
This book made me want a puppy. And a horse. And to be best friends with LeVar Burton.
Megan
Oct 07, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Summary: Kathy and Louise are best friends and do everything together. When Louise goes with her aunt and uncle to the mountains all summer, Kathy is afraid that she has lost her friend Louise. She becomes very angry with her, but at the end of the story their friendship remains solid.
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-3
Reading Level: Late Early/Transitional Readers
Topic: Friendship
Theme: Distance can not break apart true friends
Literary Elements: Dialogue, Sequential plot
Illustrations: The illu
Kayla
Apr 01, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about two girls who are best friends. They do absolutely everything together. When summer came one of the girls leaves for a camp. The other girl missed her very much. She found out her friend was having a great time and was making new friends. She became jealous. When the friend returned home the other girl was not excited, but then she realized the friend had brought her presents and said she missed her. They were now best friends again and had a new puppy as a pet.
Ally Copper
Louise Jenkins and Kathy Cotski are best friends. They share everything, even their daydreams about owning a horse. When Louise goes away on vacation and leaves Kathy behind, Kathy starts to get jealous. When her new next door neighbor, Mr. Jode, promises Kathy one of the puppies from his dog's litter, she daydreams about getting the puppy and not letting Louise play with it. When a twist of fate makes it so that Louise actually gets the one and only puppy that Mr. Jode's dog gives birth to, Kat ...more
Kim
Apr 12, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book almost everyone can relate to, having their friend go away to camp or on vacation, and how much you miss them while they are away. A very well written story that could be used as mentor text to show that most children feel the same way. I could see using it to discuss feelings such as anger and jealousy. The illustrations are wonderful, and the ending is great. This book could also be used for predicting, because I was surprised at a couple of things that happened. A definite for my cl ...more
Brooklyn Schamens
This story is about two girls that want a horse, but can't have a real one, so they make believe that they have one. The two girls are best friends and they do everything together. One of the girls left for vacation and the other girl was sad that her best friend was leaving her. The girl has to make new friends. Her family gets a puppy and they name it after the make believe horse.
Madimeier
This book is about two girls who are best friends. They did everything together. They would push their desks together at school. During the summer, Louise's aunt and uncle took her away. The two hated leaving each other. Louise ended up having so much fun away from home and Kathy was sad that she was having fun without her.
Kelly Powell
This book was a great book to discuss jealously and friendship. Many children go though the same things and this book would be a great way to bring up these topics. I also like that the book was set up almost like graphic novel at some parts that have several pictures with their own text on one page.
jacky
Apr 08, 2016 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, lib-aub, tv
I remembered this from Reading Rainbow as I read it to the kids. Loved the raw emotion of it, detailed illustrations, and happy though not perfect ending.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
I think the book is fine... but jeez the jealousy she has for her friend.
Cheryl
Apr 15, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Steven Kellogg has detailed pictures from kid's imaginations.
Brenna
Mar 22, 2010 Brenna rated it really liked it
This book is about two best friends, Kathy and Louise. Louise and Kathy like to play pretend. Louise goes to camp and leaves Kathy lonely. Kathy thinks Louise made new friends and she didn't like that. They liked to pretend that they had a horse named Golden Silverwind and that they had magic witch hats.

Somebody moves in next door whose dog is pregnant with puppies. Kathy and Louise must decide who gets one. I like that these girls are two best friends just like me and my best friend, Addie.
Alissa
Sep 28, 2011 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kathy and Louise are best friends and share everything. Louise goes away for the summer and Kathy can't believe that Louise could have fun without her! Kathy makes friends with the new neighbor Mr. Jode across the street. When Louise returns from summer camp, Kathy has a surprise waiting for her. Through twists and turns the girls resolve the strained emotions from the summer and again learn to share everything. As always, the illustrations are phenomenal.
Liane
Oct 12, 2008 Liane rated it it was ok
Shelves: carly
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Friendship. Jealousy. Sharing. Abandonment. Imagination.

Curricular Use: Shared reading

Social: Girl leaving for summer camp, best friend left behind

Literary Elements: Alliteration. Imagery. Different genre:postcard

Text & Pictures: Interaction. Pictures demonstrate the girls imagination, did not always show reality, but girls thoughts on reality
Christy
Jan 28, 2010 Christy rated it liked it
This is a story about a girl named Kathy and her best friend Louise. they do everything together until one summer Louise goes to camp and Kathy misses her terribly. A new neighbor moves in with puppies on the way. The girls have to share this one special puppy, it draws them closer as best friends.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Lesley Looper
May 12, 2009 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, childrens-books
Okay, I'm still on my little kick of reading (or rereading) Stevn Kellogg books. This story about friendship is charming, and the illustrations, as usual, are adorable.
Celia
Mar 12, 2012 Celia rated it really liked it
This was my favorite Steven Kellogg book growing up and I still love. I feel really lucky that I got my copy signed when he visited my school.
Taylor
Feb 05, 2013 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Love this charming story about friendship! This could be a useful tool within the classroom when talking about friendship or jealousy.
Apr 26, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child, and upon rereading it was just as good as I remembered.
Olivia
Aug 29, 2013 Olivia rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from my childhood.
Rose
Feb 06, 2011 Rose rated it really liked it
Age: 4 - 8
Grade: K - 3
Samantha
Jul 06, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Another childhood favorite :)
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Virginia Burnham
Virginia Burnham rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Tesla
Tesla added it
May 31, 2016
What's The Name o...: Young kids book about two best friends [s] 6 30 Dec 10, 2014 01:34PM
  • Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Run the Race
  • We Found a Horse and Other Stories
  • The Day the Goose Got Loose
  • Mr. George Baker
  • Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores (Horace and Morris and Dolores, #1)
  • The Piggy in the Puddle
  • There's an Alligator under My Bed
  • Bee-Wigged
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .
More about Steven Kellogg...